ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Pilgrim: Livingston NOT returning to UK

circus.gif

I was never that impressed with his offensive skills. He was great at rebounding and decent down low post but against bigger college players that wasn't an advantage. I could see against High School kids his physical strength had him highly rated but he can't shoot the ball consistently. In some ways kind of Bryce like and on another team that he is featured can do better until facing real competition. However, this makes getting a top strong front court experienced portal transfer paramount or it will be another season of early losses impacting seeding for an end.

Good. Can’t shoot. Let’s get shooters.
I actually thought he shot it pretty decent. Good form, good arc, maybe a bit mechanical. Made a higher % than as FR did Mashburn, Prince, Mercer, Walker, PJ, & not far behind Jones. Also not bad ballhandling skills, and decent drive. I think he would have been our 2nd best player next year behind Edwards, playing them together at Forward (neither a PF, or a SF).

In a bubble, Livingston would be ideal to bring back.

But it sounds like literally everyone around him is in his ear and delusional on what Livingston will be in the NBA. The idea that he's a 3 in the NBA, let alone a 2, is ****ing comical.

Maybe not a 2 in the NBA, but he is a 3. The problem is positions in the NBA do not quite lineup to the positions in college, from a size standpoint at least.

Livingston may have an idea of what he should play in the NBA.. but that doesn't align with our needs as a college team.

Another problem is that he's kind of a tweener even as is. I know a lot of people want him as a 4.. but that would be a really small lineup then, as he's what, 6-6? If you must put him at the 4, then your 5 needs to be legit. Legit in skill AND in size. And we just didn't have that this year.

.. anyways. I'd like to have him back, but I won't really miss him. His shot was decent enough, rebounding was good, but that's about it. Never loved his motor and didn't seem like he cared to be in college.

Last edited:
What the hell is it with these guys overrating themselves and their skills? No way that Livingston is a first round pick. He’s got to improve in a lot of areas. A second season could do wonders for him and his game. Look at PJ, Quickley, Richards, WCS and others after they came back for second and third seasons. Their NBA stock went up!!! Are these guys really that afraid to come back and improve in a second season? Are they this delusional about the skills they have, the people in their ear this stupid? This is the kind of crap that turns people off from UK and college basketball in general. No one wants to put in the work to improve anymore. It’s tiring to see this stuff play out constantly and it’s only been a few years since the transfer portal/NIL became a thing.

The transfer portal and NIL will ruin college basketball. It was bad enough with O&D but transfer portal and bidding wars with NIL has made the merry go round an issue for all.
He's not leaving because of NIL. He's leaving because the NBA considers him to be a 3, and Klutch doesn't see him getting the attention they believe he needs at UK next season.

The NBA isn’t an option this year. But he will end up at a 10-15 program and put up 18 and 6-7 a game next season.

Some of the big name programs will be all over him. Just accept it and move on.
I don't think Klutch will want him at a big time school.They want him to be the star playing any position he wants.Schools like Kansas and Duke won't give him that any more than UK would.

Last edited:
Reactions: taydaddy and catben
I firmly expect him to go to the NBA and get drafted in the second round.

I always would advise highly ranked kids without elite tools to go pro ASAP. This kid is one more lackluster season away from his high school pedigree and “potential” to be gone in people’s eyes.

He showed no willingness nor any prowess at the 4 position. Him coming back for that role, precluding us from adding a transfer 4 man would be another unknown and thus risk for a team that has plenty already with so much dependence on freshmen.

People want to be active in the portal but then want to keep everyone! Doesn’t work that way. If you get a bonafide 4 the roster looks largely set if you believe the Reeves rumors.

Wagner
Edwards
Dillingham
Bradshaw
Reeves
Sheppard
Transfer 4 man
Ugo(I think he stays especially if Collins transfers as expected)
Ware
Adou
Fredrick(or some other depth guard as the 5th guard, I think he comes back for NIL and his injuries with the finger and ribs aren’t long term concerns)m

That’s 11 guys that all would expect PT and probably 6 that would expect big minutes. For a worthwhile transfer besides the 4 spot I’m just not sure what role they would be buying into if Reeves and Dillingham are both here. The hey we might get multiple injuries at your position role is hard to sell when these kids can go anywhere!

• Love
Reactions: gojvc and Wonky
I was never that impressed with his offensive skills. He was great at rebounding and decent down low post but against bigger college players that wasn't an advantage. I could see against High School kids his physical strength had him highly rated but he can't shoot the ball consistently. In some ways kind of Bryce like and on another team that he is featured can do better until facing real competition. However, this makes getting a top strong front court experienced portal transfer paramount or it will be another season of early losses impacting seeding for an end.
Oscar would make a good 4

I always would advise highly ranked kids without elite tools to go pro ASAP. This kid is one more lackluster season away from his high school pedigree and “potential” to be gone in people’s eyes.

He showed no willingness nor any prowess at the 4 position. Him coming back for that role, precluding us from adding a transfer 4 man would be another unknown and thus risk for a team that has plenty already with so much dependence on freshmen.

People want to be active in the portal but then want to keep everyone! Doesn’t work that way. If you get a bonafide 4 the roster looks largely set if you believe the Reeves rumors.

Wagner
Edwards
Dillingham
Bradshaw
Reeves
Sheppard
Transfer 4 man
Ware
Adou
Fredrick(or some other depth guard as the 5th guard, I think he comes back for NIL and his injuries with the finger and ribs aren’t long term concerns)m

That’s 11 guys that all would expect PT and probably 6 that would expect big minutes. For a worthwhile transfer besides the 4 spot I’m just not sure what role they would be buying into if Reeves and Dillingham are both here. The hey we might get multiple injuries at your position role is hard to sell when these kids can go anywhere!
Still think they need to find a shooter that is a better option than Frederick but I agree with everything else you pointed out, or if ugo leaves then they would need to get a shot blocker, a stretch four, and a guard who is better option than Frederick

Will go to NBA if a first round pick (Klutch working on it). If not, he will enter transfer portal. A return to Lexington, “is not happening.”
WTF!? He got pt and with his physical build would next year too. Yet he would transfer. This program is broke. Dook can keep a better player like Proctor but we can't return any decent top 30 freshman.

Cow has to go nomatter what happens next year this is not Kentucky BB anymore. Players we miss on I see at other programs going on 2-3 years but we can't retain anyone. It must be miserable playing for the bloated corpse at this point.

All year I got the feeling Livingston was all in and enjoying it. Now it's I'll go anywhere as long as bbn it's not Kentucky.🤡🤡🤡

clowns GIF

Wagner
Edwards
Dillingham
Bradshaw
Reeves
Sheppard
Transfer 4 man
Ware
Adou

That team is blah- transfer 4 needs to be a damn good one

Some kids don't like going to school for the academic side of school. They can get by one year but some don't like the idea of going to classes for another year. The fact that his major is exploratory studies in agriculture says that he did not plan on being in school for long.

Doesn't matter who stays or goes with CCC. Never winning shit with Cal again. Livingston was just another 6'7 inconsistent shooter and not a threat from beyond the arc. Enjoy riding busses between Fort Wayne & Grand Rapids next year. Get a more polished player in the portal to fill the void and was never going to be the guy with Dillingham, Wagner & Edwards next season.

Still think they need to find a shooter that is a better option than Frederick but I agree with everything else you pointed out, or if ugo leaves then they would need to get a shot blocker, a stretch four, and a guard who is better option than Frederick
I’ll trust the staff on Fredrick. Think it’s as simple as do they think his shooting woes were the result of his finger and rib injuries or was he just not a fit here? I’m fine with him as our fifth guard but get uncomfortable with any more expected. In the biggest of games I do not expect him or his potential replacement to play much if at all barring injury.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT