ADVERTISEMENT

It was a really long wait from 78 to 96 !!

When Cal decides to leave, you trophies for everyone fans may finally understand what you had here for a coach. No turning back for the most of you, you want it all and now. This is Div. 1 basketball and it just don't work that way.

Just another passive aggressive, meaningless thread.

I don’t give a crap now about 78” to “96”....that was also a disappointing 18 years.

Cal is the highest paid coach in College Basketball. Yep, he’s even higher paid than Shasheski.

Cal needs to adjust his coaching. If he does, he’ll be successful again. If he doesn’t, well, we’ll be fighting to get to Sweet Sixteens and Elite Eights.

I don’t give a crap now about 78” to “96”....that was also a disappointing 18 years.

Cal is the highest paid coach in College Basketball. Yep, he’s even higher paid than Shasheski.

Cal needs to adjust his coaching. If he does, he’ll be successful again. If he doesn’t, well, we’ll be fighting to get to Sweet Sixteens and Elite Eights.
You fit right in, you want it all and you want it now. Well enjoy your life, it just doesn't work like that. I have been a UK fan for as long as I can remember. We have had 8 championships in my lifetime and we may get one this year. If we make it to the FF, we have a 50% chance to win it all. No one out there can handle UK and this fan base better than Cal. I am not looking forward to his replacement, you for one I know will be disappointed.

When Cal decides to leave, you trophies for everyone fans may finally understand what you had here for a coach. No turning back for the most of you, you want it all and now. This is Div. 1 basketball and it just don't work that way.
Dean Smith was at UNC 36 years and won only 2 championships. That is how hard it is to win a championship. And for most of those years you had to win your conference to go to the tournament which meant it was much easier to win because fewer good teams were in the tournament.

Dean Smith was at UNC 36 years and won only 2 championships. That is how hard it is to win a championship. And for most of those years you had to win your conference to go to the tournament which meant it was much easier to win because fewer good teams were in the tournament.

To be fair, Dean Smith is a bit overrated. He championed possibly one of the worst offenses of all time (while effective) and he coached MJ. Why it took them so long to implement a shot clock to counter that atrocity I have no idea. And MJ was from NC, he got lucky. He was great by most standards, but not all he’s made out to be by the powers that be.

You fit right in, you want it all and you want it now. Well enjoy your life, it just doesn't work like that. I have been a UK fan for as long as I can remember. We have had 8 championships in my lifetime and we may get one this year. If we make it to the FF, we have a 50% chance to win it all. No one out there can handle UK and this fan base better than Cal. I am not looking forward to his replacement, you for one I know will be disappointed.

I 100% agree and disagree with you. I 100% agree that Cal is our guy, wouldn’t trade him for anybody and he’ll certainly be missed when he decides to leave.

However, I 100% disagree with the premise that a title drought that spanned three coaches and probably the darkest time in our programs history is somehow a justification for anything less than excellence now. I think and hope Calipari appreciates and understands some criticism, especially when the program is in a (slight) lull, because he knows the alternative is disinterest.

People posting is it time to move on from Cal are idiots. There's a reason Donovan turned it down, twice I think. It's a great job and a headache job. Cal loves it and says it's the best job in the world. I agree with him, but just like playing here it's not for everyone. He's our guy. We are one great season from everyone praising him again. It could be this year, it's only been 4 games with almost an entire new team. Nick wasn't much of a factor last year and Green was absent from the SEC tourney on. PJ is the only one that contributed a lot at the end of last year. Besides him and the 2 sophs it's freshman and a senior who is brand new to us. Cal will get these guys to buy in. I still have hope for a great year this year. 3-1 this early doesn't do anything to my confidence in this team. Isn't our first time struggling a bit early.

I wish someone would tell this to Nick Saban or someone had told John Wooden or Coach K who is on pace to win 3 titles since 2010.
I wish the same rules applied to CBB that apply to CFB for entering the draft. Wooden had 3 year players, ( freshmen didn't play).
Coach K has had his hard knocks with the O&D. Last year a prime example.

This is so ridiculous. So many fans fear the post-Calipari era. They will settle as a result.

Yep, In the next fearmongering post by the op he says we’ll be disappointed with our next coach...but he has NO CLUE who the next coach will be. As if UK won’t be able to buy one of the best ones out there. Furthermore, the last excellent coach that was here left unexpectedly and the next coach won a title in year one! No one has any clue who the next guy will be but the assertion that it can’t be good is insane.

Edit- I don’t want Cal gone, I want Cal to adapt.

To be fair, Dean Smith is a bit overrated. He championed possibly one of the worst offenses of all time (while effective) and he coached MJ. Why it took them so long to implement a shot clock to counter that atrocity I have no idea. And MJ was from NC, he got lucky. He was great by most standards, but not all he’s made out to be by the powers that be.
You could say K is as well! If it wasn’t for the calls he gets and the easy paths in the tournament he wouldn’t have won as much as he has! He can coach but overrated at the same point!

Yep, In the next fearmongering post by the op he says we’ll be disappointed with our next coach...but he has NO CLUE who the next coach will be. As if UK won’t be able to buy one of the best ones out there. Furthermore, the last excellent coach that was here left unexpectedly and the next coach won a title in year one! No one has any clue who the next guy will be but the assertion that it can’t be good is insane.

Edit- I don’t want Cal gone, I want Cal to adapt.
Yeah how did that work for us with BCG?

There’s not a bigger fan of John Calipari on this board than me. That’s a fact.
He needs to step up his game. The run of the mill stuff he used to win with doesn’t cut it anymore.

You can keep on thinking the same old philosophies are going to work all you want. The days of passive defense, and switching and doubling down on some 6”9 stiff who couldn’t score in a morgue, are gone.

Same thing with this stale offense. The dribble drive bullshit days are over. 4 guys standing comatose for 20 seconds, while one guy dribbles the air out of the ball is over.

Again, Cal needs to get with the times.

Last edited by a moderator:

We also had a drought from 58 to 78, for the old timers on the board. I recall an opposing coach making the statement that "Morehead has just as many National Titles as Kentucky from 1958 on". Can't recall who it was but I think it was another SEC coach. Really hard to win a National title in basketball.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
If married couple is having problems, they work it out. Counseling, therapy, acts of random service and kindness.

What you don't do is point to the spouse and remind them of the whore they used to date in order to compare how awesome you are.

Many of us aren't calling for a divorce (we get it; Cal is awesome), but there's clearly an issue. Maybe that issue is remedied through coaching, maybe through a new assistant, maybe through a new recruiting conduit.

Whatever it is, it needs to happen. Landing 7% of our last fourteen top 5 players is deplorable for a program that has prided itself on being the OAD school and sold that reputation to its fanbase for years.

Coach Calipari is doing fine...but he's not perfect and that's where some UK fans go to battle with each other and it's a bit crazy. Look, Calipari has brought back a lot of excitement to UK BB but he's not perfect. So relax and see what happens. I get it, we want NCAA titles EVERY YEAR but it's not that easy in this era of BB. See 2015. Was the loss to Wisky BS? Yep, but that's not on Calipari IMO...it was on you know who. (FYI, he does roofing...) Calipari's not perfect but IMO Coach Calipari is right for UK BB! He'll adjust as needed IMO. UK BB will be OK!

Coach Calipari is doing fine...but he's not perfect and that's where some UK fans go to battle with each other and it's a bit crazy. Look, Calipari has brought back a lot of excitement to UK BB but he's not perfect. So relax and see what happens. I get it, we want NCAA titles EVERY YEAR but it's not that easy in this era of BB. See 2015. Was the loss to Wisky BS? Yep, but that's not on Calipari IMO...it was on you know who. (FYI, he does roofing...) Calipari's not perfect but IMO Coach Calipari is right for UK BB! He'll adjust as needed IMO. UK BB will be OK!

This is spot on.

Well we hadn't won it since '12 and don't have the team for it this year and more than likely next season either.

Went to the FF in 84 under Hall and made it back in 93 and was on probation and the shadow of it from 89-91.

If Cal has 9 or more losses this season he will tie Tubby in having that many seasons of 9 or more losses over a 10 year period. Missed the NCAA already and almost missed it in other years.

As long as the sec gets stronger we will rack up even more losses. UT, Auburn, Miss St, Florida, etc are gonna come to play against us.

Cal is more interested in trying to place kids in the NBA than winning games. Winning games is what he was hired to do. If he wants to help kids reach the NBA then resign and go coach in the G League.

That’s another thing that drives me nuts. Cal tightens up in the second half and he has even talked about preparing his teams for one possession games late. BS! You know who else wants one possession games for you—the NCAA and their refs! You’ve got to beat teams Into submission, put them on the ground and lodge your foot in their throat. Don’t let the refs be a factor. You almost always have the superior talent and athletes, use it!

I wish someone would tell this to Nick Saban or someone had told John Wooden or Coach K who is on pace to win 3 titles since 2010.
I'm one of the biggest Cal defenders on this board, but he's not K or Saban. Those are the two best coaches at their respective sports, and he's just not on that level. There is nobody we can hire who is even somewhat likely to produce at that level. There are very few we could hire who could produce at Cal's level, either. The combination of final fours + wins + the championship puts him in excellent company for UK and elite company for D1 basketball in general.

That's why I don't get this criticism. See any GOATs looking for jobs? No? Me neither.

Reactions: mktmaker
If married couple is having problems, they work it out. Counseling, therapy, acts of random service and kindness.

What you don't do is point to the spouse and remind them of the whore they used to date in order to compare how awesome you are.

Many of us aren't calling for a divorce (we get it; Cal is awesome), but there's clearly an issue. Maybe that issue is remedied through coaching, maybe through a new assistant, maybe through a new recruiting conduit.

Whatever it is, it needs to happen. Landing 7% of our last fourteen top 5 players is deplorable for a program that has prided itself on being the OAD school and sold that reputation to its fanbase for years.
It is also horrible considering that Cal's system must have them to survive.

Wrong, coach K earns over a million more a year than Calipari.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.c...coaches-salaries-mike-krzyewski-john-calipari

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw37wXzGU2Rs6o70kKWKKiq_&ust=1542883622378036

The point trying to be made was, there are some here who think we should win a title every year. And if it doesn't happen its all on Cal. Titles are hard to come by, Cal hopefully will get one more in his time here. In the one and done era teams need some to stay for an extra year or two. We have that this year and with some luck it may happen again.

You could say K is as well! If it wasn’t for the calls he gets and the easy paths in the tournament he wouldn’t have won as much as he has! He can coach but overrated at the same point!

I’ll be honest I don’t remember if most of Deans tourney runs got to start in NC for the first two rounds almost every year like it is for Roy and K, but if so it’s pretty pathetic he only won 2. That double bye they get is a joke imo.

That said, while I’ll always have a personal asterisk next to his place in the pantheon, until Kentucky gets more journalists into the media that narrative won’t get much support outside UK fan boards.

Since the turn of the century. UNC has won 3. Duke has 3. UConn has 3.... nova has 2 , UF has 2.....

Do you want to strive to be the best or not?

Or will it take unc and duke tying our titles or passing us for you to finally care.... look at the math because at the rate duke and unc are winning titles since 1990..... they’ll tie if not pass us in another 20 years or so if we don’t get our butts in gear

You can hope they’ll make bad hires after K and Roy but we all know their boosters and Espn will never let them fail for long

Last edited:
Cal won’t be hard to replace. 50% on this board are better coachs than Cal, or so they think....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT