ADVERTISEMENT

It looked like Travis Ford

Bluegrass79

Senior
Mar 4, 2008
The 2nd half of the Arkansas game I swear Reed Shephard looked like Travis Ford. It took 30 years straight to EVER say to myself:
"Hey that looked like Travis Ford on that layup, on that steal, on that assist, on that 3 pointer."
Anyway just wondering if anybody else felt the ghost of the Great One, Travis Ford, in Reed recently.

It was good to see him drive the ball to the hoop. Good things tend to happen when he plays with that mentality. Travis was before my time but I can imagine they play pretty similar styles.
The driving layup was identical.
Travis was great! Deadly free throw shooter like Reed. Hit like 52 straight or something I remember.
Reed is way bigger but Travis had heart in his game like Reed.

The 2nd half of the Arkansas game I swear Reed Shephard looked like Travis Ford. It took 30 years straight to EVER say to myself:
"Hey that looked like Travis Ford on that layup, on that steal, on that assist, on that 3 pointer."
Anyway just wondering if anybody else felt the ghost of the Great One, Travis Ford, in Reed recently.
THAT'S IT !

couldn't have made that comparison before reading what you had to say until now.

we always compare and contrast previous players to current ones. You hit the nail on the head, as I think about Reed and Travis. Cannot believe I hadn't made the connection before now, too.....

VERY WELL DONE !

Maybe it’s because he makes the little things look effortless, but I thought the same thing while watching last Saturday. It’s crazy that I didn’t mention it in the game thread, but I definitely thought it while watching.

The way he moves with the ball and keeps his body squared is more like Ford than his Old Man. However, that steal and dunk was EXACTLY like his dad!!!

Reactions: BCD
As wack at it may seem, I had the same thought at one instance in that game as he was moving around a screen - Travis would use his hands to help "shuffle around the guy" - maybe the throw back shorts helped, but I did have that thought - but would not have mentioned it other than someone did first.

Reactions: Bluegrass79
Kyle Macy is a good comparison. Heady, unselfish, tough, usually makes the right play at the right time. Nails the FT at the end of games.

• Love
Reactions: westerncat
Now you're making me look up if there's ever a Travis Ford dunk in history LOL!
I know he was like 5' 10" but he was superman to me back then as a kid!
HIs 5'9" listing was probably generous. He was very quick ,great shooter, excellent floor general, and high IQ player. I do not recall Travis ever coming anywhere near a dunk.

Last edited:
Reed is so much better than Ford ever thought to be. Been listening and watching UK for over 50 years and we have had some great players. Reed does remind me of Kyle Macy when he is at the PG position. Both seen the floor really well and great shooters. I agree with you jameslee32.

Reactions: jameslee32
Now you're making me look up if there's ever a Travis Ford dunk in history LOL!
I know he was like 5' 10" but he was superman to me back then as a kid!
I can save you some time. NO, he never dunked one at UK or anywhere else for that matter.

I know that Travis never Dunked. He was tiny and had no hops at all.

I remember Dickie Beal that played for UK was a small guy that could dunk and did in a game on occasion. I think he was maybe 5'9" or something like that. Wasn't the player that Travis was though.

Travis Ford never even dunked a nerf ball on a nerf hoop. Travis and Louie Dampier might be the purest shooters I've ever seen at UK. But getting in the air was not something Travis did. Probably had to tiptoe to be 5'7"?
I’m guessing every bit of 5’7” with shoes on, but he was very good. And you thought every shot was going in the basket.

Same thought.

• Love
I’m guessing every bit of 5’7” with shoes on, but he was very good. And you thought every shot was going in the basket.
Just his junior year. His other years in college he was average, at best, from 3:

Freshman - .300
Sophomore - .371
Junior - .529
Senior - .380

• Wow
Just his junior year. His other years in college he was average, at best, from 3:

Freshman - .300
Sophomore - .371
Junior - .529
Senior - .380
I guess you’re right, I was stationed in Italy in 1994 so I missed that year. I just remember his good year. Lol

Looked exactly like him

• Love
37 and 38 are above average...53 is superior
His one year was amazing. The way he came off that pick at the top of the key. His other 2 seasons aren’t in the top 40 of 3 point percentage seasons at UK. More pointing out that his .529 was over 17% better than his .357 average his other 3 years. It’s a pretty crazy stat.

Reed moved more like Travis than he does his dad. He may be able to jump out of the gym but he is a little more stiff in his movement than pops was. You can say that for just about everyone though when it came to Jeff Shepard

His one year was amazing. The way he came off that pick at the top of the key. His other 2 seasons aren’t in the top 40 of 3 point percentage seasons at UK. More pointing out that his .529 was over 17% better than his .357 average his other 3 years. It’s a pretty crazy stat.
The Mashburn affect...he didn't get the wide open looks w/out the defenses shading Mash

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT