ADVERTISEMENT

It’s a Fact, SEC Officiating is the Worst in the Country

It's what I have been saying for years and it's very obvious to fans of SEC teams.
There's a huge difference between SEC games and BIG10 games. When you watch an SEC game, every bump is a foul, but when you watch a BIG10 game, there are full on collisions that are play-on's.
I can't wait to see UK in the NCAAT when they can actually defend without being afraid of picking up a dumb foul.

It's what I have been saying for years and it's very obvious to fans of SEC teams.
There's a huge difference between SEC games and BIG10 games. When you watch an SEC game, every bump is a foul, but when you watch a BIG10 game, there are full on collisions that are play-on's.
I can't wait to see UK in the NCAAT when they can actually defend without being afraid of picking up a dumb foul.

The other side of that is we are a terrific free throw shooting team.

"I can't wait to see UK in the NCAAT when they can actually defend without being afraid of picking up a dumb foul"

Yea, but but that time, we have learned how to defend (or at least improved on defending) without fouling and team B is banging us around and not getting any fouls..

I've been making this argument to all these ACC sychophants here in central VA for 2 years. The in-conference foul rate kills our NET in multiple ways. 1: Increased turnovers due to offensive fouls. 2: decreased efficiency due to every possession after the 10:00 mark of each half is played in the bonus, which leads to more possessions without a field goal. 3: decreased margin of victory across the conference due to a concentration of grind it out free throw contests. 4: decreased SOS due to the across the conference nature of the problem. 5: inaccurate defensive eff. Numbers due to the lack of an opportunity to force a miss (because a touch perimeter foul is called in the bonus). This one feels fringe to me, but I'm adding it to my laundry list.
Foul rate needs to be built in as an adjustment to offensive efficiency.
There is a reason SEC teams outperform their seed regularly in the tourney.

There is one rule book for college officiating. And each conference has a director of officiating, or whatever they may be called. Officials are not 'employees' of a conference but are rather kind of like free lancers. Now...I believe all that is true...if so, then why does each conference call games differently?
Does the director of officiating in the SEC tell the officials who work the games that he wants the game(s) called tightly? Does the Big10 tell them to let the players bang each other?

Reactions: m080470 and awf
Wow. Those stats are pretty eye opening when you consider we all already thought SEC officiating sucked. Also an example of how a conference can game the system. I’m not saying the Big10 did it intentionally, but I wouldn’t put it past a smart conference employee figuring out they can boost everyone’s efficiency numbers if they tamp down foul calls and let them play.

Reactions: IIIBradIII
If any school besides UK took basketball seriously, the situation would improve. SEC head office is like, "Oh! It's just UK. Eff 'em."

The good ol' boy network of overweight, overpaid and under skilled $EC douche bags...

hess-sucks.jpg

Keep bringing stuff like this up and on Twitter and it will get better IMO.

To Ohio Colonel, the answer is yes according to an official I work with that does college games. Each conference does their own thing. They do not live and die by the rule book and that’s obvious. I have asked him about obvious walking calls when the players switch pivot feet and he said they are told to ignore it. So this is one of the reasons the college game has turned to shit. Another being it is way too physical and thus I do not watch any games but ours. And rarely ever watch live. Better stuff to do with my time.

Has anyone ever noticed if refs from the SEC change the way they call a game when they call NCAA tournament games?

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I've been making this argument to all these ACC sychophants here in central VA for 2 years. The in-conference foul rate kills our NET in multiple ways. 1: Increased turnovers due to offensive fouls. 2: decreased efficiency due to every possession after the 10:00 mark of each half is played in the bonus, which leads to more possessions without a field goal. 3: decreased margin of victory across the conference due to a concentration of grind it out free throw contests. 4: decreased SOS due to the across the conference nature of the problem. 5: inaccurate defensive eff. Numbers due to the lack of an opportunity to force a miss (because a touch perimeter foul is called in the bonus). This one feels fringe to me, but I'm adding it to my laundry list.
Foul rate needs to be built in as an adjustment to offensive efficiency.
There is a reason SEC teams outperform their seed regularly in the tourney.
Excellent post!

Reactions: jacobbleedsblue
We should be able to play more in the tournament right?

Then I remember those long 9 minutes that handed Auburn and undeserved final 4 last year...

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I honestly think it helps when we get to the big dance. The best example is the 2014 team. A lot of that run was because we could be physical as hell. Our best offense was a missed shot.

Reactions: morgousky
I honestly think it helps when we get to the big dance. The best example is the 2014 team. A lot of that run was because we could be physical as hell. Our best offense was a missed shot.

Man I’ve said that for years. When all eyes are on the officials and we get a crew of officials outside the SEC, it gives us an edge.

The of course not always (Higgins) but I always picked up on that too. I also look at 2012. Really free whistle in the tournament unlike what they went through during the season and you could see a difference in the way we executed.

Worst kept secret in college basketball. I have watched very few games this year other than UK, but the ones I have watched the way games are called versus the SEC is very noticeable. Needs to corrected.

In our last two games, opponent only has 3 fouls called on them the second half till they had to start fouling. The other game only 2 called the second half till they had to start fouling. Refs coming at us hard but Quick too much for them to overcome. Hard to fathom how they can get away with that kind of blatant bias. How much more could they possibly do to us in a game? We start getting a little lead in the second halves and they come hard at us.

Keep the refs out of it with non bias refs we could enjoy some of our games. Our talent level is above most teams, and this team this year with the three guards and the bigs would be hard for most teams to stay with if they wasn't shooting so many free throws and our starters having to sit out a lot with fouls.

Reactions: chattanoogawildcat
I used to be of the mindset of “it will get better when we get to March.” But the last 3 tournament exits have me concerned:

2017- Higgins
2018- Luckie and the foul-fest vs. K-State
2019 - No fouls on Auburn last 9 minutes of regulation

Granted, we shot ourselves in the foot those three games as well. I just don’t expect to ever get any referee favors as long as JVC is our coach.

We've also exited several NCAA's early due to officiating so I can't link that with our success. Our success is mainly due to us being UK. We play with the pressure of being everyone's Super Bowl every game. The other teams get in the tournament and they simply aren't used to that pressure.

ESPN does the day where they switch their announcers (pro and College), I’d love to see a big mid-season game refereed by the NBA refs. I would like to see a college game called by the best and see the difference.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Well, here in a few weeks, we're going to play games on neutral floors with refs from a different conference and teams from the BIG10 & BIG12 will get SEC refs, lets see what happens.

There are plenty of examples of SEC teams going off in the NCAAT after struggling in league play and teams that have been kicking ass all year long, never in foul trouble and getting special treatment, that flounder when they get out physicaled in the tournament (Duke & KU).

Reactions: CatfanMike47
2018- Luckie and the foul-fest vs. K-State

Granted, we shot ourselves in the foot those three games as well. I just don’t expect to ever get any referee favors as long as JVC is our coach.

How did the refs supposedly do us no favors in that KSU game? We got by far the most calls in that game, the refs gave us a whopping 37 to 22 advantage in free throw attempts.

Reactions: kyjeff1
How did the refs supposedly do us no favors in that KSU game? We got by far the most calls in that game, the refs gave us a whopping 37 to 22 advantage in free throw attempts.

Yeah, we had more free throws because we literally ran the offense through PJ most of that game. But if you remember, that game had absolutely zero flow to it because the whistle blew every other time down the court. We had been playing so well too. It wasn’t that I felt the refs were against us. They just called everything that game.

Well, here in a few weeks, we're going to play games on neutral floors with refs from a different conference and teams from the BIG10 & BIG12 will get SEC refs, lets see what happens.

There are plenty of examples of SEC teams going off in the NCAAT after struggling in league play and teams that have been kicking ass all year long, never in foul trouble and getting special treatment, that flounder when they get out physicaled in the tournament (Duke & KU).
No that damned bunch of Luckie, Shows, TV Ted and company will be in our games then also

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT