ADVERTISEMENT

It’s 8:46 am. We will never forget

09D6EE0B-3E4A-4C24-8FAA-EFC57CCB8C75-e1662897997853.jpeg

So where were you the morning of September 11, 2001?

It was my very first day of teaching. I had no idea what was happening until I walked into a co-workers office just in time to see Flight 175 strike the South Tower.

I had been adding cash to the ATM machine at the bank I worked at and when we came in from the ATM room the other employees had the TV in the lobby on. Shortly after we started watching the 2nd plane crashed into the South Tower. We spent the rest of the day glued to the TV watching the chaos unfold.

Reactions: JDHoss and J_Dee

It was my very first day of teaching. I had no idea what was happening until I walked into a co-workers office just in time to see Flight 175 strike the South Tower.
On New Circle Rd on way to office. Before I left the house, the top story was Anne heche breaking up with Ellen DeGeneres

Reactions: J_Dee
I had been adding cash to the ATM machine at the bank I worked at and when we came in from the ATM room the other employees had the TV in the lobby on. Shortly after we started watching the 2nd plane crashed into the South Tower. We spent the rest of the day glued to the TV watching the chaos unfold.
I started smoking that day

• Sad

At work at the office in D.C.
I still watch the various shows of that day every year. I won't forget.

Last edited:
Tuesday, September 11, 2001.

I was in a Fiscal Court meeting.

I was 38 years old, my 4th year as County Attorney.

The County Treasurer walked into the meeting, and announced a plane had hit one of the twin towers. Someone asked how that was possible. I said a bomber had hit the Empire State Building in 1944 in bad weather.

No one knew the weather in New York City that day.

The meeting ended.

Most had gathered around a small color TV in the Treasurer’s Office when the second plane hit.

I shouted “We’ll **** someone up real bad for this shit.”

I went to my public office. We all sat in near-silence for hours, listening to the radio.

The phone rang once. Wrong number.

I bought and chain-smoked some Camel cigarettes, in my non-smoking office. We all smoked in doors that day.

My private office secretary made a note on the calendar “A Bad Day in America.” I have that calendar still, somewhere.

That afternoon, I walked to the 911 Center. I knew that there would be people losing their minds and we’d need to crank out EPO’s and mental health petitions.

I sat talking to the staff until 11:00 pm.

The phones and even the Police radios were virtually silent.

I drove home.

It would be another 18 days before an “after hours” EPO or mental health petition would be sought at that 911 Center.

I watched those towers fall for days, for weeks.

I can see them now.

The whole country seemed mesmerized by watching the scene over-and-over again.

One of the shows I've watched films a NY College student that said the building just exploded... there wasn't a plane, the building just exploded. Amazing how many people were wrong on that day.

• Sad
One of the shows I've watched films a NY College student that said the building just exploded... there wasn't a plane, the building just exploded.

Amazing how I watched the second plane live on national television hit the second tower.

Those 9-11 special effects were perfected with the fake Moon missions, directed by an aged Hitler, who narrowly survived the Hindenburg crash which never happened in the first place.

By never forgetting do we work diligently to avoid the types of dumb mistakes that permitted this horrific attack or do we just post stuff on social media?

I was working in the basement of Building 230 at Eastman Chemical Co in Kingsport, TN. One of my coworkers said he heard a plan had hit the WTC. I fired up the computer expecting to see where some dude with a Piper Cub had mechanical failure or a medical emergency and crashed it. Instead, it was a touching passenger jet. About that time, the phone rang. It was my boss who told us to shut everything down and come to the big conference room. There were already several others in there watching it on the TV. We were watching and talking when I saw that second plane come into view and thinking "hey that plane looks like it's gonna..." and it crashed into the other tower. That was head spinning watching that like it was a movie. We were all dumbfounded. Several people were crying. Some went home, but most of us spent the rest of the day in that conference room glued to the TV. At home that evening, and for many evenings after, that was all we watched.

It was a moment in time( like the JFK murder) that you never forget where you were, what you were doing and how you felt. It never leaves you.

Tragically, just like all American history, this will fade away into obscurity and ignored in our grandkids and great grandchildren’s curriculum at some point. Just the way things are trending.

You make sure it doesn't happen again. Which means Intel Agencies need to remain focused!

A presidential candidate was nearly assassinated by a gunman people saw on a building that was always within gunshot of the dais. I don’t think it is “if” it happens again, but when.

Reactions: *CatinIL*
I was 25 years old and working in Washington DC at George Washington University. The White House sits 2 blocks east of the edge of the GW campus. I was working in the Rec Center and saw the 2nd plane crash on a TV in the fitness center. Went directly up to my bosses office. We ended up going to the roof of the building and the Pentagon was 3.5 miles away so we could see the smoke from that.

A lot of people went home that morning, but I stayed at work because we had students who were using our space as a place to come together. I left work around 5:00pm that day. The streets in DC were a ghost town. There were military police all around. I took the metro home (lived in Arlington) and it was a ghost town too. I just remember it being eerily quiet.

Reactions: JDHoss
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT