ADVERTISEMENT

Is UK the 2nd best team in America right now?

HerrosHeroes

All-American
Aug 16, 2018
Obviously not in the AP or especially not in NET or any other metric but after 3 of the top 4 lost I think a case can be made that only Kansas is playing better ball than Kentucky right now.

No, UK is not the 2nd best team in the country fight now imo.
They are improving in areas, but still have too many turnovers and lapses on both ends. Not consistent enough.
Now, when they are clicking, good as anybody, but they dont maintain a high level long enough yet. I hope it's coming.

Until we actually control a game against a team that we should then we arent close to being top 2 in the country.

I hope I'm wrong, but we are to inconsistent and anyone can beat us on any given night as evidenced by the fact that we play down to our competitions level and leave the door open for them to beat us.

We are not playing like the #2 team in the country for sure.

No but not far off . I would go KU , Baylor a notch above everyone else and then UK is tied for 3rd with Maryland ( who I think loses today ) , Duke , FSU and a few others.

We are not the best team but we are close. As I said last night since Xmas only Baylor has been truly better and handful of teams have been just as good . the W/L 's show this.

Many UK fans only focus on our warts not realizing every top 10 with us as the same amount of warts. That is the LOD way after all:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: cbrwalt
I am! With Azibukie in the middle, KU is a strong contender.
Azibuike finally making it through a whole season. Seems like he’s been there about 8 or 9 years but mostly injured. Has he even played in any of our matchups against them when he’s been on the team?

I think we lack good defensive rebounding, too many turnovers that hurts our efficiency and lack of consistent 3 point shooting.

Strong positives are guards that can score, defend, rim protector, free throw shooting and a strong will to win.

Definitely a top ten team. How we would match up with other top teams on a neutral court don't know. Can beat anybody or lose to anybody so a lot will depend on how well we are shooting that game and foul trouble.

No. No.

too inconsistent. But the good news bad news is that no one can blow us out and we can’t blow anyone else out.

top 10 but can be beaten by top 35.

Id hate to be the one to clean the shorts of the "bring on Kansas" crowd if the committee places you guys in the midwest region on selection sunday.

I think as far as to schedule and who's playing the best I would put us Top 5 for sure. There is no team in the country that I think we should fear. We are right there and have as good of a chance for making Indy as any of the others. We haven't been blown out by anyone, but some have and as of late. What matters is how you're playing right now and in the coming weeks and some teams seemed to peak early.

We still have room for improvement and if we get there it's gonna be trouble for everyone. If EJ and Nate start giving us consistency and Ashton gets back to playing like he was we are the best team in the country. Right now we are Top 5, but we have room to make it to the top.

Last edited:
Id hate to be the one to clean the shorts of the "bring on Kansas" crowd if the committee places you guys in the midwest region on selection sunday.

You guys really want to play us this season? You'd rather see us as your three seed than Creighton or Seton Hall?

You don't think Big Blue Nation won't be all over Midwest tickets?

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
I doubt you'll be in our bracket but even if you was we would not meet until the E8 as you'd be our 2 seed. I honestly feel the SDSU and Creighton will be our 2 and 3.

Azubuiki or however you spell it shoots 40% from the free throw line and can't make shots more than 5 ft from the basket. As a team you all shoot 66% from the line and you aren't a particularly strong shooting team from deep. Dotson is a bit turnover prone and really doesn't seem to handle heavy ball pressure all that well as evidenced by the Duke, Dayton, TCU and ETSU games. The blueprint for beating KU really isn't that hard. Not to mention you have Bill Self on the sidelines who will inevitably screw the pooch.

On the defensive side, Azuabuiki will have to decide to either come out and guard Nick on the floor or let him drain jumpers on you all game. If he comes out to guard Nick, you lose rim protection and rebounding and he risk picking up fouls trying recover and block shots or guarding Nick.

You all also play 4 guards and 1 big, which will give us an advantage down low having EJ and Nate as well.

Last edited:
Azubuiki or however you spell it shoots 40% from the free throw line and can't make shots more than 5 ft from the basket. As a team you all shoot 66% from the line and you aren't a particularly strong shooting team from deep. Dotson is a bit turnover prone and really doesn't seem to handle heavy ball pressure all that well as evidenced by the Duke, Dayton, TCU and ETSU games. The blueprint for beating KU really isn't that hard. Not to mention you have Bill Self on the sidelines who will inevitably screw the pooch.
Self built this team on teamwork and unity. If one player is off, someone else steps up. I dont believe UK has anyone if Maxey, Richards, or Quickley have an off night.

Self built this team on teamwork and unity. If one player is off, someone else steps up. I dont believe UK has anyone if Maxey, Richards, or Quickley have an off night.
:joy::joy::joy: Teamwork and unity? You might want to look the meaning of those words up before you try using them.

Hell, they have all had off nights and we have been fine. Richards just had one of his poorer games yesterday and we were fine. We have won several games with Maxey playing poorly. Quickley has been pretty consistent all season so don't honestly see him being an issue, but feel pretty confident we would overcome it if so.

Richards v Buike is the matchup I want to see. Richards best chance is to draw Buike from the basket. If Buike gets the ball around the rim then Buike wiill lay a prison style beatdown on Richards.

Richards v Buike is the matchup I want to see. Richards best chance is to draw Buike from the basket. If Buike gets the ball around the rim then Buike wiill lay a prison style beatdown on Richards.
If it were that easy for him, he would avg much more than 13 pts a game.

When Auburn has a healthy Okoro (a lottery pick) I'm not sure we are the best SEC team.
Commence to hammering

Is it ironic that a Kansas fan uses “prison style beat down” as an analogy or is it just me that thinks that?

Kentucky is good and tbh should get a 2 seed if they win out... But I don't consider them top 4 let alone top 2 ATM. Even in the games they won this past month, most of them were back and forth struggles with teams on the bubble... UK is great at closing out games but they simply don't dominate, alot of it has to do with the lack of shooting...

That being said, UK has had a great February and there are not 8 teams better than UK. Keep winning and improving and see where your at late March.

I think we are still 6-8th but could be top 2-3 by tournament time if we keep getting better and clean up some of the little stuff. The problem is Hagans is just going to turn the ball over, EJ is just going to be inconsistent and we have lapses of bringing the intensity for 40 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT