ADVERTISEMENT

Is the roster so good that......

Nov 13, 2023
Is the roster so good that you don't expect Noah and Perry to contribute valuable minutes most games.

I know I wasn't expecting Sheppard to do what he did last year but he did

Not saying either Noah or Perry would contribute like that but do they average 10 minutes a game?

What kind of contributions do you expect from them?

Since we actually have a coach now that will play the best players the most minutes and hopefully manage a deep rotation better, it will be interesting to see what run the freshmen get.

We have such an experienced team they are gonna be playing catchup. They are boys going against men.

I think it’s too early to say, but it’s a nice luxury to be able to develop freshmen rather than depend on them.

If I had to guess, Chandler will be a big contributor by midseason at worst, and the two Kentucky kids will have their moments but will ultimately be situational depth pieces that we hope to count on much more as sophomores.

Since we actually have a coach now that will play the best players the most minutes and hopefully manage a deep rotation better, it will be interesting to see what run the freshmen get.

We have such an experienced team they are gonna be playing catchup. They are boys going against men.
Not to defend the last guy, but our best players did play the most last season. Not all of them started, but minute wise the top 5 minutes went to the best players (Reeves, Mitchell, Sheppard, Wagner, Dillingham).

Having Perry and Noah is a huge luxury. Pope will play them if they can earn the minutes in practice. But we don't have to throw them to the wolves right off of the bat. The SEC will be a meat grinder this season. Hopefully we keep everyone healthy.

When this started out I knew CMP would get us a competitive team together and thought Travis would be about 8 or 9th man who would give us some very good runs. He's definitely on the pecking list now but he won't stay there long either will Noah. They'll give us spots. I'm excited.

Go Cats!!

Things should open up more for those 2 when they are sophomores.
Yeah, that's very likely. I'll say 2 things on this topic...

1. It is possible either, or both, of those guys have the talent and ability to be among the top 10 players on this roster. You really never know with true freshmen. We've seen some who contributed from day one. We've seen some who weren't ready at all during their freshman year. We've seen some who started slowly but came on later in the season. We'll see.

2. I'm glad we don't have a coach whose entire system is to bring in freshmen intending to push them out the door (to NBA or transfer), ready or not, and recruit over them with the next crop.

I’m going with they both average about 10 minutes a game. Both will have a couple of early games where they get hot from three. They’ll hit a freshman wall at some point and go down to about 6-8 minutes during conference play. They will contribute but they won’t be counted on. Same for Chandler btw.

In other words, exactly how freshman should develop and grow at a high major like UK.

Hard to say but I've felt all along that one must underestimate Perry at their own peril. You just don't put up numbers like he has without being really good. Similar to Sheppard, he will exceed expectations but won't get as many minutes due to the depth of this team.
Totally agree. I think both of these guys can contribute. Perry is such a good player. And he isn't intimidated. Noah is a big strong dude that can score and shoot. So that can always contribute.

I hope the men on the team play so well that Perry and/or Noah get to redshirt (eligible only if they do not compete in more than four games or 30% of the season's total games, whichever is greater). Highly doubt that happens and I really want to see them on the court, but if it were to happen it would be because the veterans are killing it!

Reactions: Darrell M1234
When this started out I knew CMP would get us a competitive team together and thought Travis would be about 8 or 9th man who would give us some very good runs. He's definitely on the pecking list now but he won't stay there long either will Noah. They'll give us spots. I'm excited.

Go Cats!!
I, too, had a good feeling, from the git-go, expecting Coach Pope to put together a competitive team, and I think he's certainly done that. But I have also thought, from the git-go, that RR posters are generally undervaluing Travis Perry's potential immediate contribution ... and I feel the same way, but to a lesser degree, about Trent Noah. Of course, time will tell ... but I won't be surprised to see Travis and Trent getting meaningful minutes throughout the season. And if Coach Pope is at all disposed toward a game-long full-court press ... then all the more so.
But, whatever ... Go 'Cats ! ! !

I think it’s too early to say, but it’s a nice luxury to be able to develop freshmen rather than depend on them.

If I had to guess, Chandler will be a big contributor by midseason at worst, and the two Kentucky kids will have their moments but will ultimately be situational depth pieces that we hope to count on much more as sophomores.
It will be nice to potentially bring back Garrison, Oweh, Chandler, Perry, and Noah for a second year under Pope.

Hard to say but I've felt all along that one must underestimate Perry at their own peril. You just don't put up numbers like he has without being really good. Similar to Sheppard, he will exceed expectations but won't get as many minutes due to the depth of this team.
I have said from the beginning, that they both are going to be nice surprises!!

I think the only freshman with a chance to crack the rotation is Chandler and, at this point, I think the chances are dwindling, unless he is an absolute stud. But if they force themselves into the rotation, so be it - I just hope chemistry is good however the minutes shake out.

By tournament time I think minutes distribution is something like this:

Butler (30) / Kriisa (10)
Jax (30) / Kriisa (10)
Brea (25) / Oweh (15)
Carr (28) / Almonor (12)
Williams (20) / Garrison (16) / Carr (4)

Who if any of those guys aren't up to the task I think Chandler slides in.

I am super excited for Perry and Noah as they hopefully develop into legendary Cats. Would love to put both of their jerseys in the rafters once they leave.

Looking at who is ahead of them experience wise, it’s hard to imagine them getting many minutes.

We’ve got seven Seniors in their last season of eligibility. Six of them are fifth year guys.

Then add a Junior that started last season in the best conference in basketball with Oweh.

Then you’ve got a Sophomore in Garrison, who started last season in the Big 12 as well.

That’s nine players coming in with big time experience. Nine players who came in expecting to play a lot of minutes.

Where do Perry’s and Noah’s minutes come from? Whose minutes do they take?

You start looking at it, and digging into it and it doesn’t look like there is any room for them to get significant minutes.

if you divide the total available minutes in a basketball game (200) by 9, you get about 22 minutes each. That’s not a lot for guys who have been pushing 30 minutes a game of playing time throughout most of their careers.

So unless you really limit the minutes of your experienced players, where do the minutes come from?

Just out of curiosity, which best players were not playing starters minutes before?

I think the only freshman with a chance to crack the rotation is Chandler and, at this point, I think the chances are dwindling, unless he is an absolute stud. But if they force themselves into the rotation, so be it - I just hope chemistry is good however the minutes shake out.

Jax (30) / Kriisa (10)
Brea (25) / Oweh (15)
Carr (28) / Almonor (12)

I am super excited for Perry and Noah as they hopefully develop into legendary Cats. Would love to put both of their jerseys in the rafters once they leave.
Good break down. This is kind of what I expect.

Chandler is the guy that could throw a monkey wrench (in a good way) into that scenario.

But unless Chandler comes in and plays out of his mind, I think it’s a 9 man rotation of experienced guys.

Perry and Noah are Kentucky boys. They know the score. They’ll be content as Freshmen just to wear the blue. And they will be overjoyed when they come in to a rousing ovation at Rupp with 1 minute left in a blowout.

Yeah, that's very likely. I'll say 2 things on this topic...

1. It is possible either, or both, of those guys have the talent and ability to be among the top 10 players on this roster. You really never know with true freshmen. We've seen some who contributed from day one. We've seen some who weren't ready at all during their freshman year. We've seen some who started slowly but came on later in the season. We'll see.

2. I'm glad we don't have a coach whose entire system is to bring in freshmen intending to push them out the door (to NBA or transfer), ready or not, and recruit over them with the next crop. the
How does the present always resurrect the past? 😉

Jax (30) / Kriisa (10)
Brea (25) / Oweh (15)
Carr (28) / Almonor (12)

That's a deep team for sure, getting minutes is gonna be a battle which is good, I would say Oweh is gonna play more than 15 minutes but I'm not sure whose minutes he would take, I guess Butler and Robinson would be in the 25 range.

With Perry and Noah the NBA is far from a guarantee so the most money they might ever make
playing basketball could be in college...so if I were them I wouldn't waste my freshman year on
mopup minutes. I think it's in both players' best interests(and UK's) for them both to redshirt
their freshman years if they can't break into the top 9 in the rotation. I think Perry is the most
ready but he's got 2 seniors to beat out at his position and Noah will also have to beat out seniors.

Looking at who is ahead of them experience wise, it’s hard to imagine them getting many minutes.

We’ve got seven Seniors in their last season of eligibility. Six of them are fifth year guys.

Then add a Junior that started last season in the best conference in basketball with Oweh.

Then you’ve got a Sophomore in Garrison, who started last season in the Big 12 as well.

That’s nine players coming in with big time experience. Nine players who came in expecting to play a lot of minutes.

Where do Perry’s and Noah’s minutes come from? Whose minutes do they take?

You start looking at it, and digging into it and it doesn’t look like there is any room for them to get significant minutes.

if you divide the total available minutes in a basketball game (200) by 9, you get about 22 minutes each. That’s not a lot for guys who have been pushing 30 minutes a game of playing time throughout most of their careers.

So unless you really limit the minutes of your experienced players, where do the minutes come from?
It's a good problem to have but a problem none the less. I'm glad I'm not that one who has to sort it all out.

With Perry and Noah the NBA is far from a guarantee so the most money they might ever make
playing basketball could be in college...so if I were them I wouldn't waste my freshman year on
mopup minutes. I think it's in both players' best interests(and UK's) for them both to redshirt
their freshman years if they can't break into the top 9 in the rotation. I think Perry is the most
ready but he's got 2 seniors to beat out at his position and Noah will also have to beat out seniors.
Shooting and defense. If they can do both at the same time the skys the limit. Try running 10-15 straight minutes and make a free throw or hit an open shot. In my mind getting in the best shape of their lives will determine playing time. Do both in Popes system will give you plenty of minutes. Next year is gonna be a hoot.

If either of them can be two way players, they’ll have a shot. The hard part with this particular roster is there aren’t many two way players, doesn’t mean they are bad players or anything like that, but the best defensive line up, doesn’t offer much offensively, the best offensive line up doesn’t defend very well. That’ll be Coach Popes challenge, I would expect some up and down while he figures it out. Once he does, they’ll be solid.

If either of them can be two way players, they’ll have a shot. The hard part with this particular roster is there aren’t many two way players, doesn’t mean they are bad players or anything like that, but the best defensive line up, doesn’t offer much offensively, the best offensive line up doesn’t defend very well. That’ll be Coach Popes challenge, I would expect some up and down while he figures it out. Once he does, they’ll be solid.
That’s why I think Oweh will start. I think he’s the best offense/defense guy on the roster.

Robinson is a decent defender as well.

Butler/Robinson/Oweh/Carr/Williams is probably our best lineup on both ends of the floor.

It will be nice to potentially bring back Garrison, Oweh, Chandler, Perry, and Noah for a second year under Pope.

I for one have said and will continue to say the guy that’s going to shock everyone this year is Noah. No way he sits the bench all year. He went under the radar because of where he played but He’s got the game that you can’t teach. High IQ guy who’s lights out and can score from anywhere on the floor. He’s got a tireless motor and Paris is a great evaluator / went all in on him.

Someone is going to lose a ton of minutes because he’s going to disrupt the roster. I would think more people would take notice of it.

I for one have said and will continue to say the guy that’s going to shock everyone this year is Noah. No way he sits the bench all year. He went under the radar because of where he played but He’s got the game that you can’t teach. High IQ guy who’s lights out and can score from anywhere on the floor. He’s got a tireless motor and Paris is a great evaluator / went all in on him.

Someone is going to lose a ton of minutes because he’s going to disrupt the roster. I would think more people would take notice of it.
That’s a bold take and I like it!

Haven’t seen Trent play so I’m really looking forward to it particularly after reading your thoughts. Perry the same.. Ky kids, specifically guards and wings, just know how to play. High IQ. I would bet these 2 are ahead of Chandler in that area.

Calipari caused discord with each roster the last 4 years. Pope wants a team to play together and not be selfish. Calipari played favorites and this season was proof of that. I can't imagine what Rob and Reed we're thinking coming off the bench all season long knowing they should have been starting.

I've never seen such talent wasted like Calipari did with this team.

It's not that the others are so much better, but the fact that we are talking about guys who are already most 21-22 years of age. In Kriisa's case he's 23.

I think by the end of the year both those players will see more minutes than what they saw the first half of the season. Especially if they are shooting like they showed in HS in the chances they do get on the court. As of now though they are behind some extremely experienced players. Then you have Chandler who hasn't played college ball, but has still been working extremely hard at the game while he was on his mission.

the most minutes to be all 12 guys play ... top guy Robinson 25 or 26 minutes, 2-8 in the rotation will be 18-22 mpg , Almanor 10-14 mpg, Chandler 7-10 mpg, then at least for a while Noah and Perry at about 5 or so mpg.

Pope will play everyone that can play, at least will go 10 deep and give the 2 ky freshmen a few minutes to get their feet wet and see what they can do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT