ADVERTISEMENT

Is no news good news as far as Z coming here ?

Big Z has Porzingis-level potential. If he gets anywhere close to that, while Sharpe simultaneously blossoms into a perennial all-star, just wait for the resentment from BBN.

I freaking hate what the Cal era has become. He's been in a zero strike mode since the 9-16 season, and he's followed that up with St. Peter's, the 2nd round loss to KSU, Sharpe, and now the Ivisic nonsense.

If Ivisic isn't on the court this season, Cal needs to pack his bags and get the heck out of Lexington. His welcome will officially be done here.
I'm not sure how you blame Cal if UK screws up this situation. And look how they screwed up football for a full decade.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I think it's absolutely possible that this could be a play to squeeze out Cal. Anothr lack luster season is a pretty decent way to turn the fans even more against Cal and get that seat so hot an uncomfortable that Cal bolts. So, IF (big IF) the power people have turned on Cal, but don't want to pay the buyout, this would be one of the few ways they could force Cal out.

If there was a blame pie graph, Cal only gets about 20% of the blame, but he still gets some blame. He's the head coach at UK. Do you think Coach K would have had this issue at Duke? How about Self at Kansas or Roy at UNC? Not a chance.

If he can't use his pull to get a kid like Ivisic through the gate keepers, after 13 freaking years on the job, then he's more impotent than any of us could have dared to believe.
Do you think K or Self have the same playing field as Cal OR Stoops have at UK?

IF UNC or Duke dug in their heels? YEP. Now, UNC is a bad example due to they didn't give a crap about rules.

Duke? Well, K was an asshole. But a tyrannical asshole that most people didn't want to deal with so they did what he wanted.

Sure, Cal can shoulder some of the blame. But trust me, for seeing the absolute ineptitude of educational bureaucracy sometimes you just freaking lose and there's nothing you can do. Especially if some pissant know so and so's uncle and won't budge.
It is my firm belief that Cal or Stoops wouldn't have nearly as many hurdles to clear if either one of them were at UNC or Duke.

Cal has a job to do. He could have been working the channels all summer. We found out Ivisic has been getting recruited for most of the summer by UK.

Cal's job is to get the job done, by any means necessary. I'm sick of the excuses. He simply hasn't accomplished the duties of his job. This is just another example of a guy who's obviously out of his league now.
So you are saying that the only thing I blame Cal on in his recruitment isn't true? I didn't know he had been involved all summer.

Big Z has Porzingis-level potential. If he gets anywhere close to that, while Sharpe simultaneously blossoms into a perennial all-star, just wait for the resentment from BBN.

I freaking hate what the Cal era has become. He's been in a zero strike mode since the 9-16 season, and he's followed that up with St. Peter's, the 2nd round loss to KSU, Sharpe, and now the Ivisic nonsense.

If Ivisic isn't on the court this season, Cal needs to pack his bags and get the heck out of Lexington. His welcome will officially be done here.
Much rather see our Prez and AD hit the road.

Funny how you never read about other top basketball programs having an issue like this. Would like to see who the human being is that is worrying about a foreign basketball player enrolling. Barnhart must have little influence on a situation like this. A kid wanting to be here but one little academic thing can't be worked out in some way.
The problem might be that Barnhart has too much influence.

Reactions: chevyman 50
So for those of you taking score at home, Cal has successfully managed to piss off: the school president, the admissions department, the athletic director, the boosters, the local media, the national media, the referee fraternity, the NCAA, most UK fans, and Nike.

Am I missing anyone? I'm so glad that we have a coach that gets along with everyone and helps our program by clearing paths so that we don't have trivial nonsense to wade through every year.

Last edited:
I think it's absolutely possible that this could be a play to squeeze out Cal. Anothr lack luster season is a pretty decent way to turn the fans even more against Cal and get that seat so hot an uncomfortable that Cal bolts. So, IF (big IF) the power people have turned on Cal, but don't want to pay the buyout, this would be one of the few ways they could force Cal out.
I thought the same thing too. Trying to gain leverage back over Cal given his contract.

Reactions: jmw23712
That's very sad if true. We have a chance to have a good team this year. Even with Cal, you have to take your chances when they come because titles are so rare.

Reactions: sdryan2 and jauk11
So for those of you taking score at home, Cal has successfully managed to piss off: the school president, the admissions department, the athletic director, the boosters, the local media, the national media, the referee fraternity, the NCAA, and Nike.

Am I missing anyone? I'm so glad that we have a coach that gets along with everyone and helps our program by clearing paths so that we don't have trivial nonsense to wade through every year.
So, if everything is Cal's fault how did he manage to run the football program completely in the ground (TWO two nobody win seasons), I'm sure some of you will find a way to blame that on him too. The fact is that if he can get Z eligible he will have us back on top of collegiate basketball. And I am not sure what more he can do to get him on the team.

Reactions: Seakat311
So for those of you taking score at home, Cal has successfully managed to piss off: the school president, the admissions department, the athletic director, the boosters, the local media, the national media, the referee fraternity, the NCAA, and Nike.

And any and all of those wheels probably earned whatever he gave them, with the possible exception of the boosters club. Can you imagine how much better his record would have been at Kansas, Duke, or UNC with unlimited cheating.?

Last edited:

There is no way this move is trying to push out Cal lol.

Selling your soul to the devil seems like an exaggeration to me. Lots of foreign players get to play here, maybe one of the problems with him is that he is too good. look at what some of the other cheaters have done.
I don't agree with you on this. Whether you want to accept it or not, these are STUDENT-ATHLETES first. They may not be here long, but while they are they do attend class, take notes, turn in assignments and take tests. There is some level of expectation whether they intend to graduate or not. Cheating is wrong, it is "selling your soul to the devil". The NCAA cleared him to APPLY to schools in the US. It's up to Z to PASS ADMISSIONS.

Seven foot two, eyes of blue, has anyone seen my.

No, he is a YOUNG seven foot two Eruopean prospect that could make about any decent team in America a real candidate to win the NC. I would be very disappointed if he isn't cleared to come here, pretty sure it wouldn't be a problem anywhere else.

What about him enrolling in the second semester, would he still be eligible for the tournament? He could still practice with the team if eligibility would be cleared up later, doubt if he is as devious or has the same handlers as our last cheater.
Or he'll enroll the second semester, practice with the team, but never play because "he's not ready yet" and then somehow get drafted. Wouldn't THAT be hilarious for Cow to pull that off a second time?

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
So, if everything is Cal's fault how did he manage to run the football program completely in the ground (TWO two nobody win seasons), I'm sure some of you will find a way to blame that on him too. The fact is that if he can get Z eligible he will have us back on top of collegiate basketball. And I am not sure what more he can do to get him on the team.
It's actually more simple than that, if you care to indulge me in an analogy.

Imagine that you've gone to the same restaurant for 13 years. You know the cooks, the owners, the servers, etc.. You are known as the most important patron who eats at the restaurant in that you've personally brought positive national and local attention to the restaurant in ways they couldn't have done by themselves.

Then one day you take a date there. She's a 9/10. You've hyped up the restaurant to the point where she's willing to go on a date with you because of your track record with the restaurant and how otherworldly its menu and service is. "You're going to love it there," you tell her. "They're the best."

You don't technically book a table online, but you tell the owners verbally that I'm taking a date there, and they respond by saying, "Sounds good. We'll reserve your usual table for you."

Then you and your date finally show up for the date, and the maître d' tells her at the door that she can't come into the restaurant because she's wearing the wrong type of dress. "It's our policy" he says, and yet when we look around, you see many other forms of dress code violations (including the inexplicable admission of Eric Bledsoe, Shaedson Sharpe, Skal Labissiere, etc.).

How would you feel if you were the date who had asked her to come to the restaurant?

That's Calipari. He's the guy who invited the date and vouched for the restaurant. It may not be his policy and it may not be directly his fault, but he's the one with egg on his face because this is the institution he vouched for. Now Big Z is essentially the date who is being shown the door because of a petty policy.

It was Cal's job to make sure Z would be admitted into the school before he did the inviting. He failed at that task, and now we're about to lose a 1st round pick to another school because Calipari doesn't even understand his own university policies.

Cal has a job to do. He could have been working the channels all summer. We found out Ivisic has been getting recruited for most of the summer by UK.

Cal's job is to get the job done, by any means necessary. I'm sick of the excuses. He simply hasn't accomplished the duties of his job. This is just another example of a guy who's obviously out of his league now.
I’ve been done with Calipari for 5-6 years, now, & I can’t wait until he’s gone. I despise the way he has run the program & can’t stand the sight of him, TBH. Everything about his involvement with UK sickens me. And, I wouldn’t hesitate to lay blame at his feet any chance I got.

I get your point & don’t disagree with it. But, I can’t, in good faith, put too much blame on Calipari for this. I mean, the kid was cleared by the NCAA. Yes, he could’ve/should’ve made sure that everything was 100% good to go with UK admissions. But, I don’t think I would’ve had the clairvoyance to foresee a problem, either, once Ivisic had been cleared by the NCAA. Especially, at a school with a 94% acceptance rate. The vast majority of blame, on this, is squarely on the admissions department, IMO. It’s utter nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: ganner918
Me?

Maybe some of the idiots that blame Cal for everything will be dumb enough to divert some of their harmful propaganda to me.
Don’t be a hypocrite. Over the last 10-15 years, you’ve gone on epic rant after rant, bashing & blaming Barnhart every chance you get. And, I mostly agree with you on that, BTW. But, it’s quite disingenuous for you to take shots at ppl for criticizing Calipari when you do the exact same thing with MB.

As much as Cal shoulders a lot of blame, he cannot control his boss and his boss's boss. An example would be you going to your boss, and saying, "Hey, I found a good person to join our company." Your boss says, "Great! We will start the paperwork." He sends it to HR, and HR finds a small gap in his work history that would normally cause no issue. HR says, "No, no acceptable." You go back and forth with your boss and HR and they won't budge. You mention it to CEO and he just doesn't want to get involved. Dude gets tired of waiting and goes to another company. Was it your fault the guy didn't get hired or the company as a whole?

Sometimes bureaucracy will screw you. And it certainly did here. Now, you can say, "Cal didn't have enough good will." And that's probably true, but in this situation the true ass is HR (or UK's Admissions)
This issue wouldn't have happened if Cal had been more diligent in the off season getting a big man to fill out the roster knowing FULL WELL Oscar wasn't returning. Instead he goes for a last second hail mary and of course it doesn't work out. No, he didn't make the dumb decision at the admin level but the lack of a big man is his fault ONE HUNDRED PERCENT.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
Man, this is beyond ridiculous at this point. If the compliance department is sending a message to Cal, they have now gone way too far.

Cal has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but damn, this is some crazy bullsh1t by the compliance department. It’s past time to get this done. The kid is going to be here 1 year, that’s it.

This issue wouldn't have happened if Cal had been more diligent in the off season getting a big man to fill out the roster. Instead he goes for a last second hail mary and of course it doesn't work out. No, he didn't make the dumb decision at the admin level but the lack of a big man is his fault ONE HUNDRED PERCENT.
We had Bradshaw and Ugo. Now, with that being said. Bradshaw was hurt so that was iffy in June. But Ugo was healthy. That sucked in July when he went down. So, Cal did what he could to find another one as a backup for Bradshaw. Again, I've not been happy with Cal at all, but this isn't his fault. And you can't be 100% perfect with foresight.

What's gonna happen is Z is going to leave for some other school that has started later. And more than likely will have to issue him a waiver. Why can't UK do that?

Solution: Throw some NIL money or Cal's own money to the academics. Seems it has worked in the past for students wanting to attend UK and didn't qualify. Make it an anonymous donation. Then publicly announce a statement that lets the admissions department off the hook. Such as Big Z is getting special tutoring in English reading comprehension, which seems to be the problem.

So for those of you taking score at home, Cal has successfully managed to piss off: the school president, the admissions department, the athletic director, the boosters, the local media, the national media, the referee fraternity, the NCAA, most UK fans, and Nike.

Care to provide the details of how he pissed off each one? I think you're just throwing crap on the wall and hope some of it sticks. Sounds like he's pissed you off lol and who cares lmao

Reactions: drawing_dead
No, he can't. This screws up everything. I'm tired of our UK teams always being one player away from truly contending.

This is a joke and will totally deflate our summer momentum. Typical Cal Post-Wisconsin Game Era Nonsense.
This situation is dumb, it better come out today that he’s good to go or else UK needs new leadership. Kinda already think that the way a lot of things have gone recently.

Most schools AD and Coach are really on the same team. Linked together so tight that the coach is considered the boss, or at least that if one goes due to failure so does the other. We are one of the few where they don’t even talk and the AD actively tries to tie up his coach.

• Haha
Reactions: white10

Xavier will have this kid eligible quickly, we have almost reached 3 weeks of the BS from our admissions department with big z

Its Taco Tuesday boys and girls, Good News is coming and we play better football against Akron. Remember ou Qb was injured and out for the year last October. Hes coming around just like Big Z. Our 2nd Big Z come on down.
No snacking, Enjoy your Tacos

Hoping Z will be at practice soon!!!
giphy.gif

Reactions: bluefaithful
We had Bradshaw and Ugo. Now, with that being said. Bradshaw was hurt so that was iffy in June. But Ugo was healthy. That sucked in July when he went down. So, Cal did what he could to find another one as a backup for Bradshaw. Again, I've not been happy with Cal at all, but this isn't his fault. And you can't be 100% perfect with foresight.

What's gonna happen is Z is going to leave for some other school that has started later. And more than likely will have to issue him a waiver. Why can't UK do that?
No, Cal tried to get Dickinson so clearly he was trying to find another big man, but he vacillated too much because he was hoping Oscar would relieve him of having to do some work. Stop making excuses for Cal, he gets paid millions to fill out the roster and we have excess scholarships every single year.

Reactions: NociHTTP
No, Cal tried to get Dickinson so clearly he was trying to find another big man, but he vacillated too much because he was hoping Oscar would relieve him of having to do some work. Stop making excuses for Cal, he gets paid millions to fill out the roster and we have excess scholarships every single year.
Dickinson was NEVER coming here. Ever. I'm NOT making excuses for him. But this is a situation where Cal can't control UK admissions.

Dickinson was NEVER coming here. Ever. I'm NOT making excuses for him. But this is a situation where Cal can't control UK admissions.
And AGAIN, your argument that Cal "did everything he could" falls flat on its face. Cal clearly punted the summer hoping Oscar would come back and when he finally accepted that he wasn't, he tried for a hail mary and blew it. Your inability to see the big picture doesn't negate it.

I don't get it, either, Mike. Everyone's coming up with excuses.

"the school won't lower their admission standards"

"UK won't issue a waiver"

"We would have had a formidable big man presence, but Ugo and Bradshaw got hurt"

These are paraphrased quotes. Maybe it's just that Cal is always going after the wrong guys, and too late on the ones who could be of real impact. Cal prefers to rescue guys from generational poverty, or who he thinks will get picked high in the draft. His "wins" are in June. Maybe it's just that the guys who could bring titles to UK don't want to play for Cow and his stagnant, boring, ineffective offense.

Very hot take: Wouldn't shock me if Z did struggle with the admissions test, then caught wind of how Cal really does things, and then said "nah, I'm good" to staff. Because you KNOW the guy already had other schools in his ear "just in case".

Cal CAN control things that make going through admissions difficulties worth it. Maybe Z felt it just wasn't worth it?

And AGAIN, your argument that Cal "did everything he could" falls flat on its face. Cal clearly punted the summer hoping Oscar would come back and when he finally accepted that he wasn't, he tried for a hail mary and blew it. Your inability to see the big picture doesn't negate it.
You're right. This is ALL Cal's fault. He should walk right in to UK admissions and stage a sit in until they budge.

We had Bradshaw AND a healthy Ugo when we new Oscar wasn't coming back (and that was also right in the middle of trying to land Dickinson).

Again, Cal is a turd for a lot of crap, but should he have had 5 options at center? Come on.

I see one player issue has lit the board on fire again. Well, once we have the Z issue done, we can go back to the 50 Cal sucks threads.

You're right. This is ALL Cal's fault. He should walk right in to UK admissions and stage a sit in until they budge.

We had Bradshaw AND a healthy Ugo when we new Oscar wasn't coming back (and that was also right in the middle of trying to land Dickinson).

Again, Cal is a turd for a lot of crap, but should he have had 5 options at center? Come on.

I see one player issue has lit the board on fire again. Well, once we have the Z issue done, we can go back to the 50 Cal sucks threads.
Your sarcastic reply is childish and once again doesn't address the issue I raised. Grow up and learn to construct an argument next time. Did you learn NOTHING from the Sharpe debacle? You and all the other useful tools who adopted that "let's wait and see how this plays out" always find a way to excuse Cal after he blows it. Yeah, it's too late now for Cal to do anything, but is he EVER held accountable for ANYTHING? Nope. Not by the university, and certainly not by his acolytes like you.

Your sarcastic reply is childish and once again doesn't address the issue I raised. Grow up and learn to construct an argument next time. Did you learn NOTHING from the Sharpe debacle? You and all the other useful tools who adopted that "let's wait and see how this plays out" always find a way to excuse Cal after he blows it. Yeah, it's too late now for Cal to do anything, but is he EVER held accountable for ANYTHING? Nope. Not by the university, and certainly not by his acolytes like you.

Wow, didn't like my stance so you result right to name calling? So Cal should be fired for something the admin office is doing? Good grief.

Cal should've been fired for a LOT of other things mainly 9-16 and a first round exit. However, this ain't one of those.

Sharpe? Wtf does this have to do with Sharpe? Are you insinuating that Bradshaw is another Sharpe?

LO FREAKING L. Guess I'm back to being a Cal nut hugger since I won't crucify him this one time and instance. How the hell am I supposed to hold him accountable? Hang on, let me pull out my phone and dial him directly to cuss him out and demand he leave immediately. They only way I can even remotely hold him accountable is to bitch and moan on here. Which, if you would even BOTHER to review my position on Cal over the past two years you would realize I've been VERY pissed off at him.

Only a cultist deals in absolutes. And we do seem to have a ton of those in these parts these days.

Reactions: bookerfan66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT