ADVERTISEMENT

Is Humphries waiting on Bamba?

KentuckyCat420

All-SEC
Gold Member
Sep 16, 2006
Seems like it would make sense. If Bamba commits to UK, Humphries is battling with Richards for back up minutes which wouldn't be ideal for a Junior trying to make a name for himself.

However, if Bamba goes elsewhere then Humphries finds himself battling with Richards for a starting spot in which case I think he would have the upper hand initially.

I'm not sure what Bamba is waiting for at this point, but I think I know why Isaac continues to contemplate what he wants to do.

Seems like it would make sense. If Bamba commits to UK, Humphries is battling with Richards for back up minutes which wouldn't be ideal for a Junior trying to make a name for himself.

However, if Bamba goes elsewhere then Humphries finds himself battling with Richards for a starting spot in which case I think he would have the upper hand initially.

I'm not sure what Bamba is waiting for at this point, but I think I know why Isaac continues to contemplate what he wants to do.

That's exactly what Hump is doing. There's a huge swing in his role next year based on Bamba. It's either a ton of playing time or sporadic playing time.

You may be right

There is more to it than that. Cal has shown that the guys destined for the league are gonna play more than borderline guys. Hump's in a tough spot.
that's not true. if that was the case SKJ would have been the back up to Bam this year. Coach Cal plays whats best.

I have to agree that Cal plays his Freshmen more and lets them have a longer leash. That is his Marketing play to get the 5 stars every year. But as the season goes on closer to Tournament time he may take back your minutes. He did this with Skal. And in the end went with Derek and Dom.

Reactions: morgousky
I have to agree that Cal plays his Freshmen more and lets them have a longer leash. That is his Marketing play to get the 5 stars every year. But as the season goes on closer to Tournament time he may take back your minutes. He did this with Skal. And in the end went with Derek and Dom.

Derek and WG was competing, and soon as one showed more consistency it went to that player. Derek also started this season...and he lost it, and then got it back again.

Dom wasn't better than anyone. All of sudden his career 25% 3 point shooter suddenly started making shots, that's when his minutes started skyrocketing.

Skal was last year, and he started losing minutes way before tourney time. Besides, the problem with that roster is who was going to play? Derek was highly inconsistent, so was Lee, and Poythress. No one you can trust. That was all a mess.

There is more to it than that. Cal has shown that the guys destined for the league are gonna play more than borderline guys. Hump's in a tough spot.

this is what fans who dont like cal think. despite tons of evidence to the contrary fans like yourself think cal will just play the nba, 5 star guys. its sad really.

humphries just isnt that good. point blank, period. i dont know why its so hard for some to come to terms with that but instead think the coach who they claim to support has some nefarious motive.

Derek and WG was competing, and soon as one showed more consistency it went to that player. Derek also started this season...and he lost it, and then got it back again.

Dom wasn't better than anyone. All of sudden his career 25% 3 point shooter suddenly started making shots, that's when his minutes started skyrocketing.

Skal was last year, and he started losing minutes way before tourney time. Besides, the problem with that roster is who was going to play? Derek was highly inconsistent, so was Lee, and Poythress. No one you can trust. That was all a mess.

Yes but you got to admit Cal gave Wenyen tons of minutes,yet Hump didn't get to play as much. Cal is totally invested in the Freshmen. If a OAD player and a Senior are equal the Freshmen would get the call. I am not complaining. That is his strategy to get the 5 stars here. And it is working.

If humphries is scared of another player and doesn't think he can compete or is unwilling to compete then he needs to leave and don't let the door hit you on the way out
Humphries knows his limitations. He just want more playing time any where he can get it. Can't blame him for that.

Reactions: docholiday51
this is what fans who dont like cal think. despite tons of evidence to the contrary fans like yourself think cal will just play the nba, 5 star guys. its sad really.

humphries just isnt that good. point blank, period. i dont know why its so hard for some to come to terms with that but instead think the coach who they claim to support has some nefarious motive.
That may be the case with some fans, but anyone that is objective can see Cal has favored OAD prospects in some cases.

Reactions: BoxterS
Yes but you got to admit Cal gave Wenyen tons of minutes,yet Hump didn't get to play as much. Cal is totally invested in the Freshmen. If a OAD player and a Senior are equal the Freshmen would get the call. I am not complaining. That is his strategy to get the 5 stars here. And it is working.

of course wenyen got minutes...no one stepped up to own the position. BAM proved to be way better than humphires so why play humphries? at times cal went with 4 guards because both willis and wenyen were bad.

2 points and 2 rebounds....never seen anything like this.

Wenyen and Humphries fought for different position. Not sure your argument.

Willis started over Wenyen at the beginning of the season. But Coach Cal wasn't happy with Derek's inconsistency and his sleeping on defense. WG came in showed energy. At one point he looked legit with knocking down 3 and rebounding well. But then Willis stepped it up and retook his position and minutes.

Humphries never came together. Everyone attacked him, i supported him but even i had to admit it was hard watching him. He was foul prone, and would foul at least 1 within the first 1 minute after getting in. Unlike Bam he never learn to stop fouling.

If Coach Cal cared about playing OAD, then he would have started Booker, not Aaron. He was a sophomore. WCS/Poythress would not have started over Lyles.

Reactions: Chase4UK
Humphries knows his limitations. He just want more playing time any where he can get it. Can't blame him for that.
Agree,Humphries has difficulty playing the style we play and the front court is crowded right now and if Bamba comes it will get more crowded.

On the other side of the coin if Bamba comes and based on who we have on hand and what we know about them I would rather have Humphries over Gabriel and SKJ.Most will probably disagree but Gabriel,SKJ,Washington and Vanderbilt create a bigger log jam than Bamba,Richards and Humphries.

Cal gives freshmen benefit of the doubt but if an upperclassman is out performing them they have nothing to worry about. Ask Dom.

Hump just needs to accept the challenge. Him going against 1st rounders every day and playing on national television routinely will do more for his NBA stock than hiding out in Australian league will. Just saying.

If he works hard he can have a Jorts like year which would be huge for this young team.

Don't speak for me, I love Cal and hope he stays here til he's 70. This is the most fun I've had in my life and I dont want it to end.

I haven't seen any reason to think Humphries is waiting on Bamba or anyone else. Humphries' playing time increased as a sophomore, and I believe his playing time would increase again as a junior regardless of what Bamba decides. Humphries' statements suggest he is searching for the right formula for his own life. I think he is looking inward.

lol ok man. objective....i guess if you say so you are.

Boston, everyone is going to go off their last memory of how the kid played and forget the reason he wasn't playing--which was not some "plan" or "promotional thing for Freshman". It was due to fact Humphries didn't do the little things--which he actually did do that were not scoring related against UNC in Elite 8. He did compete/fight for boards and that is why he was out there--the scoring ended up as a reward for him doing the very things he wasn't doing all year and most of his career at UK.

Gabriel is seen as this "Boogeyman" like he's awful. Just think people forget he wasn't a highly rated kid until Summer prior to his Prep season. He grew and had great finish to AAU season. He showed flashes and think the incoming competition can help him. Same with Killeya Jones--he didn't play because in the time he was given-he was awful at the things Cal wants from bigs. He's addressed that in many ways already and trying to finish with the guy he's coveted since last Summer (Bamba).

Bamba and Humphries can coexist.

Bamba wants to play the 4 and Humphries plays the 5.

He may just be homesick and knows it's in his best interest career wise to stay in the States. That's a hard decision to make.

This is technically the way it has to work or you can't get the recruits he gets. And You are right, what he does toward the tournament is whatever it takes to get us the best chance to win.

Wenyen and Humphries fought for different position. Not sure your argument.

Willis started over Wenyen at the beginning of the season. But Coach Cal wasn't happy with Derek's inconsistency and his sleeping on defense. WG came in showed energy. At one point he looked legit with knocking down 3 and rebounding well. But then Willis stepped it up and retook his position and minutes.

Humphries never came together. Everyone attacked him, i supported him but even i had to admit it was hard watching him. He was foul prone, and would foul at least 1 within the first 1 minute after getting in. Unlike Bam he never learn to stop fouling.

If Coach Cal cared about playing OAD, then he would have started Booker, not Aaron. He was a sophomore. WCS/Poythress would not have started over Lyles.

I think there are multiple issues being conflated. They should stand on their own without comparison or collusion.

Cal cannot get OAD players the way he does by having them on a short leash. He does give those players more freedom and time to adjust to mistakes. Part of it is in fact recruiting, the other part being we will need them when it counts. They are the talent.

He has 4 years with the Dom and Dereks of the world. That in and of itself makes their entire experience different.

Anyone who's played a high school sport knows the stars are allowed more bs than the others. This isn't news and it's not something that mysteriously stops when you put bigger stars on the stage. There's no way around that. Monk will not see the same coaching patterns as Mulder.

The platoon examples I'd argue work against the notion that Cal doesn't have to work around "player OAD" differently than he does tradional recruits. It hurt us on the recruiting trail, and Cal swore he'd never do it again.

So not sure it's not just facts in reality for what we do and I think he still handles it well. Terrence Jones would argue Cals stars receive equal punishment.

He may just be homesick and knows it's in his best interest career wise to stay in the States. That's a hard decision to make.

You beat me to the punch. Bamba has stated that he doesn't want to play at the 5 in college, as he sees himself as a 4 in the NBA and plans on utilizing his year in college to work on improving his game at the 4. He's an extremely smart kid and he won't go to a school that plans on playing him at the 5, because it just doesn't make sense and would be a waste of time. Some might say that he's being selfish, not being a team player, but in my opinion he's just being logical.

Therefore, Bamba doesn't effect Humphries minutes and I honestly think Humphries is simply torn between fulfilling his dream of making it to the NBA and being homesick. Remember that he heads back to Australia any chance he gets and has on more than one occasion tweeted pictures of being in Australia and missing life there.

In the end, I think he'll remain at UK and start at the 5 with Bamba along side him at the 4. I honestly believe Cal is selling this same idea to both Hump and Bamba as he knows Richards isn't ready to start at the 5. Then again this is simply my own opinion and I'm sure others feel differently about Hump, Bamba, Richards and the other bigs on this year's team.

Go Big Blue!!!

We don't know what Bamba actually thinks or wants. He hasn't said much. But Bamba is clearly a 5 at the college level. If he signs with Kentucky, 80-90% of his time on the court will be as a 5. He might become a 4 for some NBA teams, but that comes later.

That is what I think (that he is waiting for Bamba's decision). And honestly it is probably a good decision on his part.
I'm not saying Bamba AND Richards would play ahead of him, but if we added Bamba, odds are at least one of the two plays ahead of Hump, with the possibility that both may. I'd estimate his chances to start in that case at 10%, and his chance to play at least 15mpg at 30%. But if there is just Richards, I think Hump has a 40-60% chance to start, and probably a 70-80% chance to play at least 15mpg.

Reactions: brianpoe

I agree that Humphries would be our best 5. He can improve his post play and defense and maybe even start. No need for him to fear Richards. They'll both get plenty of minutes. Bamba will play enough at the 4 so there's minutes for all 3.

From the little I've seen of Richards, he looks to be foul prone. That fact alone, means Hump will get plenty of PT. So as the OP suggested if Bamba does NOT become a Cat, Hump would get at least half the minutes at the 5 if not more. Maybe someone with nothing to do can tell us what Hump's stats for last year re minutes played per game

From the little I've seen of Richards, he looks to be foul prone. That fact alone, means Hump will get plenty of PT. So as the OP suggested if Bamba does NOT become a Cat, Hump would get at least half the minutes at the 5 if not more. Maybe someone with nothing to do can tell us what Hump's stats for last year re minutes played per game
I have seen Richards play twice, including the NHS. He has good hops and long arms. Not as long as Bamba, but long enough to be a disruptive rim protector. Richards' limitations are on the offensive end of the court, where he needs a lot of work and development. I don't know if Richards is "foul prone", but that's a possibility. Richards' playing time next year depends on what Bamba and Humphries decide. He looks like a 2 year player to me.

I don't think bamba has any bearing on hunks decision. He was mulling over it before the sec torney even began. Sure he would play a ton of mins if he were to return and we got bam back and bamba, but by his senior year, he can be just as important to this team as dom and derek were this yr as he's still very young and bmid he sticks it out he will be drafted in the NBA after his senior yr. unless he wants to quit basketball altogether, he should ride into out and see where it takes him.

funny your concern about richards is fouling when issac per 40 minutes, humphries has 7.4 fouls per game. issac is a fouling machine, might be no one better in the nation

If Bam goes and Mo Bam does not come, Hump stays.
Hump won't leave with only Richards and SKJ as competition.

Based on his own words, I don't think Humphries' decision has anything to do with who else is coming or going. Last month, Calipari said during a press conference that Kentucky will lose 8 players this spring. If he knew that then, Humphries almost had to be 1 of those 8.

Once upon on a time in the old west was a back up center named Swen Nater .
He was drafted first round NBA . If you are good enough to play you do .

This is surely correct unless returning home is what he wants to do.Playing basketball may not be the driving force for Humphries that it is for others on the team.

He could want to play as a pro in Australia for a few years then move on to something else,maybe basketball is not as much fun as it once was for him.

Maybe playing time is the issue and being recruited over is an issue for him.

He seems like a bright kid who is trying to sort things out,he is a long way from home.I hope he has someone he can talk with and trusts around him,technology allows you to talk to anyone just about anywhere but there is still value in sitting down face to face and kicking ideas around.

Based on his own words, I don't think Humphries' decision has anything to do with who else is coming or going. Last month, Calipari said during a press conference that Kentucky will lose 8 players this spring. If he knew that then, Humphries almost had to be 1 of those 8.

Not necessarily so. Six we know for sure. Bam could make seven. SKJ. Gabe, and Tai have all been mentioned.
If it's 8, which one? Hump??

If that was true SKJ would have had a longer lease than Willis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT