2014-4
2015-10
2016-7
2017-8
2018-9
2019-7
2020-8

this is pretty normal for us in Cals tenure

What are these numbers when you don't count walk on guys (why would you ever include them anyways)?

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
Technically they had 10
Booker
Harrisonx2
Towns
WCS
Lyles
Johnson
Todd Lanter
Sam Malone
Brian Long

looking at purely roster turnover I posted them all above.
Good point and yet the 8 we lost this season were all in the rotation at one time or another.
Has that ever happened before?

Updated to not include Walk ons
OP said Departures which is why the original list included them.

2010-8
2011-3
2012-7
2013-6
2014-4
2015-7
2016-7
2017-8
2018-8
2019-5
2020-8

So 4 times we have lost 8 rotational players, Not sure Whitney even counts this year that'd be only 7.

Following years after we lost 8 we went Final Four, Sweet 16, Elite 8.

Knight
Jones
Kanter - does he really count though
Lamb
Vargas
Poole
Polson

SGA
Baker
Diallo
Green
Knox
Richards
Washington
Vanderbilt

Hagans
Herro
Johnson
EJ
IQ

Clarke
Boston
Askew
Ware
Fletcher
Jackson
Mintz
Haarms?
?????

It will all depend on how ready these guys are to play at this level. If they are as advertised we will be really good, if not it could be a 2018 type year. Time will tell. We most likely land 1-2 more to the roster so once its set we will know more about where we stand. Personally I like our team for next year.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
It is funny people act like this is new when his first team lost nearly everyone. Jorts, Liggins and Miller were only returners.

What IS a record is losing eight when you only had nine the year before.

Returning only ONE player (Brooks) who's ever appeared in a college basketball game is something that's never happened here before.

Z71 I can’t take your lists seriously because you’ve made mistakes with them everytime you’ve posted.

Quade and Baker both played here during the 2018-19 season. So they would be taken out of your list for 2018 and be put into the 2019 list.

I could be wrong but I don’t think we’ve ever lost this many. Our departures and what we have left most resembles the NIT team. We had only one guy return who played at all during the previous year Wiltjer. Brooks would be that guy this year. Then you’d have Harrow/Allen who missed the entire season that had all the departures. They play the following year (pray to god Allen is better).

@$Z71$ Hagans, IQ and EJ didn’t leave in 19 nor did Richards in 18. I see now you’re grouping people by their class. That’s no where close to what’s being talked about here.

I’m not taking the time to look up who left off each team but the only two that really come close to having to having the same number of departures were the 2012 and 2015 teams. And we all know how the following seasons turned out!

@$Z71$ Hagans, IQ and EJ didn’t leave in 19 nor did Richards in 18. I see now you’re grouping people by their class. That’s no where close to what’s being talked about here.

I’m not taking the time to look up who left off each team but the only two that really come close to having to having the same number of departures were the 2012 and 2015 teams. And we all know how the following seasons turned out!
You can't read apparently. That list of players is who we brought in after we lost 8 guys the year before. Reading comprehension is your friend. This list is accurate, nice try.

It is funny people act like this is new when his first team lost nearly everyone. Jorts, Liggins and Miller were only returners.
Those were some DAMN GOOD returnees. Not to mention they were coming back for their Junior or Senior year in 2011. I would argue that all of them showed more “basketball skill” than KB did his freshman year. It’s not like KB has a ton of experience under his belt. He didn’t get a whole lot of minutes this past year.

If 7-8 departures every year is the norm, doesn’t it make sense to have 13 guys on scholarship every year? Better to return 5-6 guys that know your system than 1 or 2 guys.

They don’t have to be 5-stars. If Cal would sign a 3 or 4-star Kentucky boy every year, then he would have at the very least some practice players who know the system returning every year.

Wouldn’t it be nice to have a Braxton Beverly and a Tavieon Hollingsworth coming back? They would not have scared off Askew and we wouldn’t need to add Mintz since we would have two Senior Dom Hawkins level guards already with 3 years of experience on the roster.

So the moral of this story is that Cal should fill out his roster every season. At least 12 guys on scholarship. Then we would have 3 or 4 returnees most every year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT