ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball INSTANT ANALYSIS: If there's such a thing as a bad road win, that might have been it

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
It's often been said that there's no such thing as a bad road win, or at least a bad road win in the league. I've probably said it myself. But after tonight, I've got to reexamine my feelings on it. No, no I don't. That was a bad road conference win. Missouri is 7-19 and although they've been playing hard (and sometimes better), there's no excuse for a team that's supposedly a three-seed to play a game like that at Mizzou.

Not a good sign that Kentucky turned in that kind of effort against Missouri (7-19) this late in the season. Defensive breakdowns, lack of focus on offense, bobbling the ball, indecisiveness.

Frankly, Kentucky didn't play well at all, but this is the second road SEC game (first being Alabama) where if the other team hits even a decent share of open outside shots (or free throws) then the Cats could well have lost. Frankly, Missouri missed too many wide open shots to win this game. That's why they're Missouri, yeah, but they really blew some opportunities.

When you consider Alabama's free throw performance and Yante Maten's absence on the road at Georgia, it's very easy to make a case that UK has been very fortunate in road games that they've come out ahead on.

Late in the first half I thought Kentucky's best game plan would be to go to Adebayo since they obviously weren't feeling it in any other part of the game. Adebayo did prove to be Kentucky's best asset against the Tigers, putting up a rock solid double-double. Very good on the glass, putbacks, nice stroke from the free throw line. Missouri really didn't have an answer for him. Loved the way he sensed doubles and triple teams coming and found open men, and was more aggressive calling for the ball.

It looked like Fox, Monk and Briscoe were going to all have strong games. They all started the game strong and involved, anyways. But they really all tapered off pretty quickly after a torrid collective start. Briscoe again dealt with foul trouble. Amazing that Kentucky isn't getting more production from its backcourt. At this point in the season I have to say I think the Ulis-Murray backcourt was definitely better, to this point in the season, because of this group's overall inconsistency.

The SEC needs Missouri to get good at basketball. Was a really good atmosphere once everyone realized they had a chance to play Kentucky a close game.

UK showed a little bit of zone and I didn't think it was especially impressive. Will have to go back and watch the TV broadcast again.

I thought Mulder played better than his stat line showed. He was hustling and around loose balls and wanted to be out there, making the most of every minute. I know his defense is lacking, but whose isn't on this team, other than Hawkins?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News