ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball INSTANT ANALYSIS: Commodores make Cats fight for close win

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
I know when folks were anxious during the game there was talk about how awful it would be to lose to 11 seed Vanderbilt but the Commodores have been playing at a really high level. They just have been. Calipari said at halftime they were playing as well as any team in the country and that might have been an exaggeration or a little much based on how small the sample is but Kentucky had to deal with that small sample tonight. They move it well, have a great lead scorer, and a 7 footer they didn't have to face before who caused some problems. It was a physical game and the officiating wasn't great. I like how this season has been officiated for the most part, letting them play (or maybe it's this UK team), but not as much tonight.

Even when Vanderbilt went up 46-39 you had to feel like Kentucky had a big run left in them. Might not have looked good at that moment. But what I'm saying is I think Vanderbilt should get a lot of credit. They're really playing great right now. Throw the seed out. You don't want to lose your first conference tournament game because no team has won it all after that but nobody is going to lay down this time of year.

TyTy Washington scoring 25 points in his first postseason game is a big development.

UK didn't have to see this version of Robbins the first time and his size caused some issues. Oscar got his numbers but he didn't dominate down low like he often does. Toppin did play great. What an impact he made. I thought he and Mintz were two of Kentucky's most important players. I've always advocated more minutes for Toppin at that spot and he definitely stepped up with Brooks in foul trouble.

Bit surprised Wheeler is still shooting that number of jumpers into the postseason. Really thought the green light would be gone but looks like not.

Kentucky had runs/stretches where it played at a very high level but didn't sustain that. It's survive and advance to a game with Tennessee in the semifinal.

Jordan Wright is going to tell this story many times in his life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News