ADVERTISEMENT

Football INSTANT ANALYSIS: Closer than expected win sets up big trip to Oxford

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
For this game to come down to an onside kick, with NIU starting quarterback Rocky Lombardi out, is pretty tough to believe. Stoops seemed frustrated with the game against YSU so I banked on the Cats responding in a resounding way, and the fact that we see the same OL issues and then letting their guard down defensively at the end doesn't inspire the most confidence going into Ole Miss.

However, I never put much stock into how many style points UK racks up against these teams. Kentucky always beats these teams. Sometimes there's drama, but in my recollection, that doesn't seem to correlate with how the season actually goes.

But no question, the OL has to be better. You want to see the defense punch a team in the mouth a little more. Trench play on both sides is a question for me going into next week.

The passing game was awesome with a few mistakes. The receivers are really fun to watch. The offensive line is a big work in progress. It's not really a mystery anymore. They've still got some way to go. Defensively, it was an OK night for Kentucky. They weren't overpowering but they did a decent job of getting off the field and didn't seem to be out of sync for any extended periods in the game. Having said that, it was the most vulnerable the defense has looked this season. It wasn't an all systems fail but they didn't have the same edge they've had at other times and they have to rediscover that.

Considering the fact that Kentucky is 4-0 and ranked in the top-10, I am surprised that I feel like I know so little about how SEC play is going to go. Kentucky beat Florida, and Tennessee did today as well, building a 38-21 lead at home late. Look at the rushing yardage, sacks, and TFL's allowed in games against Miami-OH, YSU, and NIU, and thinking ahead to how that translates against SEC competition, and it really all hinges on whether the offensive line can hold up for me.

UK is much more explosive this year than it has often been. It's probably one of the SEC's better receiver units. Given how important receivers have become in today's game, that's no small thing. Those guys are game changers and that gives the Cats more margin for error. But the offensive line has taken a big step back to this point. They've relied on a big advantage in WR/DB matchups in two or three games this year. That's probably not uncommon in SEC games against G5/FCS teams, but UK has actually needed that because the stuff they normally do the best on offense hasn't been there.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.