ADVERTISEMENT

Football INSTANT ANALYSIS: Cats come up short vs Clemson

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
I thought today would determine whether it was a solid season or a disappointing season for Kentucky. Disappointing doesn't mean bad but 7-6 after 7-6 is probably best considered disappointing.

Had they won today you could say they beat Florida a third straight time, snapped the SEC West road losing streak, and ended the year stacking wins against 10-1 UofL on the road and Clemson in the bowl.

As it stands, the 7-6 outweighs the highlights in my view.

I thought Clemson's defense would be the best unit on the field and I overestimated them considering the circumstances. Kentucky's three turnovers in three possessions were absolutely brutal, but otherwise the offense was outstanding in my view. Not perfect, but 35 points against that team is pretty dang impressive. Can't give up that drive at the end of the game.

Showed a lot of mental and emotional toughness answering after Clemson took the lead. Very exciting game with big plays, big hits, two teams that were really going at it.

One thing that stood out to me was that Kentucky was not at a talent disadvantage in this game. Says a lot about how far the talent level has risen.

First time in 8 games Kentucky has lost to an ACC team.

The offseason has finally arrived.

Kentucky has some players with big-time breakout potential next year. Barion, Deone could be among the best players at their positions next year. Fearbry, Jantzen Dunn and others have breakout potential. But definite areas for improvement as well. Have to hope Vandagriff is more consistent than Leary. When you don't get consistency and smart play from the QB position you're going to run into issues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News