ADVERTISEMENT

Improved Secondary

pascat

Senior
Aug 19, 2003
After week two, we weren't talking about turnovers and special teams snafus as much was we were complaining about our defensive backs, particularly our cornerbacks. One bright spot against Chattanooga was that our DB's played well as a unit--far better than they did in the first two contests. Against South Carolina they took another step forward. They were in decent position much of the night, they made fine open-field tackles, they attacked from many different places on the field, they made solid hits, and really only blew coverage a couple of times. Still a lot to fix on this team, but that is one positive.

Geiger really impressed.

Absolutely. Get him on the field. He knows how to come up on those short passes that were eating us alive early.

I know square got alot of talk tonight but I still think Jones is having the better year. He had a nasty hit early on their RB in the hole that stood him up and drove him back. Plus he's really nice in pass coverage. Thank god he came over. In fact, don't think I remember seeing the mich state transfer ever on get a snap

Btwn us friends...has Square peaked past his sophomore year? He's like Kash, imo, a solid SEC player. No more. No less.

May be. He had a very poor year up till last night. Very disappointing imo

But if Square were to elect to return in 2022 for his COVID year, would you be disappointed?

Hopefully last night is a foreshadowing of his play for the rest of 2021, and he leads the LB group, and they grow and become really disruptive.

But if Square were to elect to return in 2022 for his COVID year, would you be disappointed?

Hopefully last night is a foreshadowing of his play for the rest of 2021, and he leads the LB group, and they grow and become really disruptive.

I would not! I like a solid and dependable player in the SEC. Would suck for Casey but is good the collective!

...years ago I would have also accepted another year of Ryan Flannigan or Khalid Henderson at W so maybe I'm also an easy mark. Jordan Jones but with fewer 15 yard and auto first down penalties.

But if Square were to elect to return in 2022 for his COVID year, would you be disappointed

Who said they would be?

It amazes me how this board thinks it's always either A or B. Not everything is binary. Facts are far more nuanced.

Square is a good player, who had a subpar season, who also had a great game.

Let's hope he closes out this year with this level of play.

Who said they would be?

It amazes me how this board thinks it's always either A or B. Not everything is binary. Facts are far more nuanced.

Square is a good player, who had a subpar season, who also had a great game.

Let's hope he closes out this year with this level of play.

Sorry if it came across as argumentative as that wasn’t my intention. I was just reflecting on his great game last night, and it hit me that he “could” elect for another year.

Since his career to this point (and his measurables) don’t scream early NFL draft pick, I thought I would pose the question.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
After week two, we weren't talking about turnovers and special teams snafus as much was we were complaining about our defensive backs, particularly our cornerbacks. One bright spot against Chattanooga was that our DB's played well as a unit--far better than they did in the first two contests. Against South Carolina they took another step forward. They were in decent position much of the night, they made fine open-field tackles, they attacked from many different places on the field, they made solid hits, and really only blew coverage a couple of times. Still a lot to fix on this team, but that is one positive.
Geiger played out of his mind and Valentine played well too. Dort had a good game as well. Corker was his usual, good self. I like for Devonte to get us a couple of Int's in next couple of games.

I was not impressed with Square's Jr year....but I think he's been really good this year. Outside of Bully McCall..I thought he was our 2nd best defensive player last night
I agree. Square looked like a future pro last night. I think McCall just added several good entries into his scout tape profile.

Reactions: K_TIME
I think our secondary has been under-heralded, but I'm not sure I want to be too cocky about it. I feel like they will be decent vs Florida. I imagine Mullens will engineer some big plays but I'm feeling [Larry David voice] pretty, pretty, pret-tay good about this group.

I don't think this is a post design to hang over other poster's posts two months from now at all. No sir.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT