ADVERTISEMENT

I'm surprised slowing Tennessee's offense is not a bigger talking point.

pascat

Senior
Aug 19, 2003
I recently rewatched the Tennessee win over Kentucky (it takes me a long time to rewatch losses) from last year. Despite Tennessee's coaches and players doing a flawless job exploiting matchup problems and keeping our defense confused, at no point in the contest did I feel like Tennessee was the better team, or that Tennessee could stop us. Add to that two critical missed calls--one in the first half that led to a UT TD and the other the facemark no-call on the final UK possession--and I felt like UK was 10-14 points better than UT.

Immensely frustrating, therefore, to lose.

My main question entering the season is whether UK and other SEC teams will be able to adjust to what Heupel throws at you. Purdue did well when they had a month to prepare for their bowl victory. Will Kentucky be able to off a bye week? Specifically, what must Kentucky do differently?

I'm not quite sure what to think of Tennessee. While I think their offense is somewhat gimmicky, it's still very difficult to stop if you've not seen it and their recruiting is getting better so they will soon have better personnel to execute it. On the other hand, that Briles offense gets an above average number of 3 and outs, which puts a ton of pressure on their already shaky defense.

In the grander scheme of things, beating UT can be the difference between a very good and a GREAT season.

I recently rewatched the Tennessee win over Kentucky (it takes me a long time to rewatch losses) from last year. Despite Tennessee's coaches and players doing a flawless job exploiting matchup problems and keeping our defense confused, at no point in the contest did I feel like Tennessee was the better team, or that Tennessee could stop us. Add to that two critical missed calls--one in the first half that led to a UT TD and the other the facemark no-call on the final UK possession--and I felt like UK was 10-14 points better than UT.

My main question entering the season is whether UK and other SEC teams will be able to adjust to what Heupel throws at you. Purdue did well when they had a month to prepare for their bowl victory. Will Kentucky be able to off a bye week? Specifically, what must Kentucky do differently?

I'm not quite sure what to think of Tennessee. While I think their offense is somewhat gimmicky, it's still very difficult to stop if you've not seen it and their recruiting is getting better so they will soon have better personnel to execute it. On the other hand, that Briles offense gets an above average number of 3 and outs, which puts a ton of pressure on their already shaky defense.

In the grander scheme of things, beating UT can be the difference between a very good and a GREAT season.
We need to contain that big QB and not allow him to break containment by using not just 1 but 2 spies and we should be fine.

i just think we had a bad game last year against them
from the "Replacements" what is your biggest fear? Quicksand

i think that is what happened last year
i think it went bad and we never recovered
i do not think that happens this year

Heupel's offense has never been contained at his previous stops and, as others have pointed out, Hendon Hooker is a great QB with lots of weapons. I think the way to beat UT this year is either have superior talent (like Alabama), or you keep the ball out of their offense's hands, and shorten the game by running the ball and going on long 8 minute drives.

Last edited:
Hasn't been publicly talked about, but I'm sure all 12 opponents DCs who play Knoxville this yr have spent extra time studying what slows them down, what D to avoid that gives them explosive plays. UK addressed our weaknesses in the secondary with recruiting & portal additions.

We gave them many of their scores. We had one cb who was afraid to tackle anyone. Eventually in that game we replaced him (basically for good) and we started really slowing them down. Then we got screwed at the end or we win that game.

Kudos to them for exploiting an obvious weakness against a cb they knew didn't want to tackle but I don't think they'll get so many gimmes this year.

• Haha
Reactions: bassmaster_vol

I think you have to start preparing for offenses that do something a little different early, can't wait till game week. Several teams try to go fast at times, maybe not as fast as UT but close, so it's something you will use almost every week. But you have to play disciplined, no celebrating a big play, getting back in position, have subs ready to go at snap and those coming out getting to sidelines. If all else fails get a cramp.

Sustained drives are good, but they must end in TD’s. Long drives that end in FG’s is a sure recipe for getting beat.
Good point. Can't trade three points for seven points. Will probably need some 4th down stops too cause if they get on their side of the 40 I doubt they punt if they only need a few yards.

Reactions: bballcat4
TN media, and keep in mind that TN media is nothing but an extension of TN's athletic dept, have been blubbering that they will lead the NCAA in scoring in '22. SEC DC's aren't dumb, they'll figure it out...always do. Key for them is can they stop anybody? Gave up at least 600+ yards of O like four times in '21.

They create some wrinkles, I think by the time we get there an SEC defense will give us a template. Football is not a new sport and if this offense is that game breaking then the NFL would be using it right now.
The main issue is the hurry up, while it gasses our defense it also does the same for them. Be hard to win there but if we can get some early scores and control the clock we can win it.
I just hope our new OC is up to the task this year in the SEC.

I don't think we really need to do much differently then we did last year. The main key to slowing down an accurate QB like Hooker is to get pressure - that doesn't necessarily mean sacks rather just hurries. If you can hurry a QB on a lot of plays, or force them out of the pocket, it reduces their completion percentage dramatically.

Last year Weaver was still rehabbing an injury and not 100%. He will be much more explosive this year and Wright missed I think 4 games (not sure if he missed the UT game or not) This year they are back 100% and we have the two talented freshmen available to spell them. We will miss JP but we get Ox back, and there's some talent on that D-line. If the D-line lives up to expectations and the DBs are at least average we can keep them in the low 20s.

I would look for a 31-24 type score.

Was just having this discussion on the way down for golf trip with the guys. Was telling them it was my key to a successful season ….. stopping UT and Miss St. just can’t let a hurry and spread steal those toe games from us. Will be a major test for secondary and for Stoops himself to see if he’s discovered any new tricks to stop the them.

Much more worried about UT. We shut Leach down two years ago but they kicked us apart last year with a thousand paper cuts.

But the hurry up with a good QB is a different thing and we have to scheme to stop it better and keep our corners from getting back in their heels

UK played a great game against UT, and did just about everything they could against a JH offense that was clicking on all cylinders. As an old school UT fan, I love a ball control offense that says "I'm running this down your throat and you can't stop us".

Have talked with my UK buddies, and I think the backbreaker was the INT returned for TD. At that point TN grabbed the momentum held on for dear life. If not for that play, I think UK wins that game. Really looking forward to this year!

i just think we had a bad game last year against them
from the "Replacements" what is your biggest fear? Quicksand

i think that is what happened last year
i think it went bad and we never recovered
i do not think that happens this year
I agree. Missing a tackle on the first play from scrimmage and allowing a long TD put our DBs on their heels the rest of the game. Our DBs played tentatively after that.

UK played a great game against UT, and did just about everything they could against a JH offense that was clicking on all cylinders. As an old school UT fan, I love a ball control offense that says "I'm running this down your throat and you can't stop us".

Have talked with my UK buddies, and I think the backbreaker was the INT returned for TD. At that point TN grabbed the momentum held on for dear life. If not for that play, I think UK wins that game. Really looking forward to this year!
No, the backbreaker was the blown facemask call right in front of the ref. Unbelievable, I wonder how many assignments that ref missed due to that no call. it might have ended his career------and it should.

Heupel's offense has never been contained at his previous stops and, as others have pointed out, Hendon Hooker is a great QB with lots of weapons. I think the way to beat UT this year is either have superior talent (like Alabama), or you keep the ball out of their offense's hands, and shorten the game by running the ball and going on long 8 minute drives.
Which, on paper, if CROD plays and our offensive line steps up, we're perfectly capable of having long, methodical drives.

Notice TN fans hanging out here. Must be a little slow at the Garbage Can, formerly known as Kneeland Stadium.

As others have said teams with Amazing Talent like Bama and Ga. will be able to handle UT. As for the next level of teams like UK it going to take ball control on offense that result in TDs not FGs and no TOs.

IIRC our guys were still looking to the sideline for signals when they snapped the ball. Did anyone else see that, or was it just the bourbon?

Reactions: satcheluk
I think you have to start preparing for offenses that do something a little different early, can't wait till game week. Several teams try to go fast at times, maybe not as fast as UT but close, so it's something you will use almost every week. But you have to play disciplined, no celebrating a big play, getting back in position, have subs ready to go at snap and those coming out getting to sidelines. If all else fails get a cramp.
Yep to some extent to stop a gimmick based offense you have to use gimmicks yourself like leg cramps, laying on piles after tackles etc, smoke bombs etc. Then your coaching staff has to have their stuff together with substitutions etc. Just cant be lolly gagging around over there.

And for gosh sakes teach your corners how to play physially agressive press coverage on occasion so you can send pressure and get some errant throws to pick. Nothing slows tempo more than a QB thats worried of getting hit or gun shy after getting picked.

Last edited:
I'm not saying you're wrong with your game plan. But IIRC, didn't UK basically triple them in TOP in that game last year? I don't know how you can do much better than that. The D just gave up way too many big plays. They've got to do a better job of keeping things in front of them this year for sure. You're just looking to slow down an offense like that, you're not gonna completely shut them down. I agree with you that I didn't think they could stop UKs offense last year either. That was just a crazy game.

Didn’t they score like 45 on Purdue?

Indeed. The celebrations after a sack, tackle etc seem to be the biggest problem and it's one that is easily eliminated with anything slightly better than a toddler's discipline.

I'm not saying you're wrong with your game plan. But IIRC, didn't UK basically triple them in TOP in that game last year? I don't know how you can do much better than that. The D just gave up way too many big plays. They've got to do a better job of keeping things in front of them this year for sure. You're just looking to slow down an offense like that, you're not gonna completely shut them down. I agree with you that I didn't think they could stop UKs offense last year either. That was just a crazy game.
IMO, unless you have superior talent, like Georgia or Alabama, then to beat UT is going to take a shootout pending they commit higher than average turnovers. I don't think most defenses can contain, only slow that offense with their current personnel talent. I don't really blame UK's defense for giving up big plays against them because a bunch of defenses did too.

Reactions: IFerg1969
And we were beat to hell after that UGA game. Ms st crushed us and we were still limping at UT. Vandy got us back on our feet and then we played podunk a&m to get healthy for the first time since the Missou game.

Am I not remembering right how banged up our defense was in the middle of the schedule?

And we were beat to hell after that UGA game. Ms st crushed us and we were still limping at UT. Vandy got us back on our feet and then we played podunk a&m to get healthy for the first time since the Missou game.

Am I not remembering right how banged up our defense was in the middle of the schedule?
You have it straight.

Lost McCall in Florida game. Then Oxendine in LSU game. Had the bad luck of entering our toughest 3 game stretch without our 2 best D linemen. Marquan came back for Vsndy to finish the season.

No doubt in my mind Ox would have been very disruptive and caused Knoxville lots of problems.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT