ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois State Coach on Reed

I completely agree with him, and it's not just because I'm a UK homer.

Sheppard impressed me back in July when I first saw him play. The first thing that jumps out at me about Reed is how smart he is and how he nearly always seems to be in the right position to make a play. Early in the season, when he was playing less, I told my sons that Sheppard is elite and was the reason the team won games early on. His hands are great, like maybe as good as any I've seen. He's quick but rarely rushed. His timing is impeccable on steals and blocks. He's sneaky athletic. He doesn't look like he'd be a great athlete, and I think that plays to his advantage often, because he's a very good athlete. His passing is almost always on point- he makes the right play most of the time. His ball handling is also excellent. He doesn't turn the ball over. It all adds up to what we've been seeing. I love this guy. I just hate that he's likely gonna be unlikely to return for a sophomore season. I hope he bucks the trend of early departures and just comes back anyway. I know he is loving his time at UK and both his parents did as well, so maybe he will come back just because. And I'm sure the NIL money could help as well.

I saw him play early on at North Laurel and was really impressed by him.. I thought then how good he might become if he kept playing that way and continued to grow as a player... He is better that his dad at this time, not the great leaper his dad was but can get up there for a white boy, lol... Just kidding... Reed can go as far as he wants to, and I think his family love will be a big factor if he stays for more than one year...

GBB

Don't recall his specific stat line but it felt like the only game he was really off was the UNCW game. And, perhaps no coincidence, that was the game he was forced to start with Wagner hurt. It's why I don't have a problem with him coming off the bench and Wagner starting. His role seems to work perfect for him and he gets major minutes anyways (as he should).

I completely agree with him, and it's not just because I'm a UK homer.

Sheppard impressed me back in July when I first saw him play. The first thing that jumps out at me about Reed is how smart he is and how he nearly always seems to be in the right position to make a play. Early in the season, when he was playing less, I told my sons that Sheppard is elite and was the reason the team won games early on. His hands are great, like maybe as good as any I've seen. He's quick but rarely rushed. His timing is impeccable on steals and blocks. He's sneaky athletic. He doesn't look like he'd be a great athlete, and I think that plays to his advantage often, because he's a very good athlete. His passing is almost always on point- he makes the right play most of the time. His ball handling is also excellent. He doesn't turn the ball over. It all adds up to what we've been seeing. I love this guy. I just hate that he's likely gonna be unlikely to return for a sophomore season. I hope he bucks the trend of early departures and just comes back anyway. I know he is loving his time at UK and both his parents did as well, so maybe he will come back just because. And I'm sure the NIL money could help as well.
Couldn't hurt that his father could also invest some of his NIL monies. Al McGuire used to say that the best thing about freshmen is that become sophomores. Wouldn't that be nice, but this is a different day and time. I just have a feeling that he may "want" to return but the only thing that bothers me is that Cal will push him out ... because of promised playing time for the incoming OADers.

I think he is a keeper and shut up a lot of people that said he wouldn’t play or it would take a couple years before he would contribute.

Exactly, there was way more than one fan who chimed in and said Reed would never be a player for Cal... That part I almost agreed with, because Cal is reluctant to play a kid from Ky that is playing a lead guard... Maybe this will prove Cal wrong in his thinking, no it want, but it might help... Cal is stubborn to a fault...
I hope to see him (Reed) become a first team AA and Cal to have to eat his words/thoughts... I hope Reed helps in leading UK to a title this year and if he wants to come back for another season, why not???

GBB

I don’t want to seem bias being a UK fan but Reed is definitely the real deal. I’ll get slammed for this but if I’m an NBA gm, I’m taking him #1 in this years draft. You won’t find another player in the draft that’s as complete of a player as Reed.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Couldn't hurt that his father could also invest some of his NIL monies. Al McGuire used to say that the best thing about freshmen is that become sophomores. Wouldn't that be nice, but this is a different day and time. I just have a feeling that he may "want" to return but the only thing that bothers me is that Cal will push him out ... because of promised playing time for the incoming OADers

If Cal is real hard on pushing him out for other players and Reed wants to return but Cal says no way... I hate saying this for a lot of reasons, but I know a place for him to play just 25 miles south of where the kid lives... That would make me and several thousand more fans pissed off... Cal would have to move out of Ky to be save from fans railing on him... Why would you force a kid out the door who wants to play for his favorite team??? I don't think Cal understands what that means for a Ky born kid...
That would start a fire storm I don't think Cal could overcome....

GBB

Reactions: NociHTTP
Exactly, there was way more than one fan who chimed in and said Reed would never be a player for Cal... That part I almost agreed with, because Cal is reluctant to play a kid from Ky that is playing a lead guard... Maybe this will prove Cal wrong in his thinking, no it want, but it might help... Cal is stubborn to a fault...
I hope to see him (Reed) become a first team AA and Cal to have to eat his words/thoughts... I hope Reed helps in leading UK to a title this year and if he wants to come back for another season, why not???

GBB
What words would Cal be eating exactly?

He recruited Reed and is playing him starters minutes and in crunch time

I don't think Cal cares where you come from as long as you can play

What words would Cal be eating exactly?

He recruited Reed and is playing him starters minutes and in crunch time

I don't think Cal cares where you come from as long as you can play
I knew some one would be here to ask that... Cal wants to force kid's out the door and some kids want to come back and try to get better or play for the BBN... Believe it or not a lot of these player's love it here, but Cal wants to make it sound like he develops a million players for the NBA... Cal want to be patted on the back and sat atta boy Cal you did it...
Cal has stated he wants to have player's on all NBA teams... That say's to me he is crazy for power, or for an accomplishment he has that on other has... That to me is just crazy thinking... I am not built that way, I don't need to be patted on the back for accomplishments... I do what I do for me not anyone else but me.... I don't have for look to others for pats on the back... I worked for me and did the best job to make me proud of myself knowing I did it the hard way for the right reason...
Do you need a pat on the back every time you accomplish something??? I don't....
I said words/ thoughts... Can you read???

GBB

I knew some one would be here to ask that... Cal wants to force kid's out the door and some kids want to come back and try to get better or play for the BBN... Believe it or not a lot of these player's love it here, but Cal wants to make it sound like he develops a million players for the NBA... Cal want to be patted on the back and sat atta boy Cal you did it...
Cal has stated he wants to have player's on all NBA teams... That say's to me he is crazy for power, or for an accomplishment he has that on other has... That to me is just crazy thinking... I am not built that way, I don't need to be patted on the back for accomplishments... I do what I do for me not anyone else but me.... I don't have for look to others for pats on the back... I worked for me and did the best job to make me proud of myself knowing I did it the hard way for the right reason...
Do you need a pat on the back every time you accomplish something??? I don't....

GBB
I thought from the beginning, when Cal took the job here and was talking about catching up with UCLA in titles, that he didn't mean ANY of that. What he was looking for was a way to get the last laugh over the NBA. He so desperately wants to coach in the NBA, so what better way (from his perspective) to get the upper hand than to say "if it wasn't for me you wouldn't have the NBA". Okay, likely not at all what he was thinking, but I can't put that past him because he's provent without a shadow of a doubt that the NBA is far more important to him than conference titles and final four's.

In many ways, Reed reminds me a lot of Tyler Herro. And not because they have a similar game, or because both are white athletes........but simply because both seem to have the ability (luck/saavy?) to be in the right place at the right time. I remember thinking that about Herro, but Reed seems to be even better at it.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
In many ways, Reed reminds me a lot of Tyler Herro. And not because they have a similar game, or because both are white athletes........but simply because both seem to have the ability (luck/saavy?) to be in the right place at the right time. I remember thinking that about Herro, but Reed seems to be even better at it.
he reminds me more of a John Stockton type

GBB
Yikes that was a bit all over the place.

You said in your post that you hoped Reed would become an AA, so Cal would have to eat his words.

I just have no clue what that means. was Cal on record saying he thought Reed sucked or wouldn't be an AA?

I thought from the beginning, when Cal took the job here and was talking about catching up with UCLA in titles, that he didn't mean ANY of that. What he was looking for was a way to get the last laugh over the NBA. He so desperately wants to coach in the NBA, so what better way (from his perspective) to get the upper hand than to say "if it wasn't for me you wouldn't have the NBA". Okay, likely not at all what he was thinking, but I can't put that past him because he's provent without a shadow of a doubt that the NBA is far more important to him than conference titles and final four's.
If he "so desperately wants to coach in the NBA" why did he turn down their offers?

If Cal is real hard on pushing him out for other players and Reed wants to return but Cal says no way... I hate saying this for a lot of reasons, but I know a place for him to play just 25 miles south of where the kid lives... That would make me and several thousand more fans pissed off... Cal would have to move out of Ky to be save from fans railing on him... Why would you force a kid out the door who wants to play for his favorite team??? I don't think Cal understands what that means for a Ky born kid...
That would start a fire storm I don't think Cal could overcome....

GBB
I agree with you about the firestorm and I certainly hope that would not happen but OAD changes all the rules and Cal seems to be completely devoted to it. His recruiting is built around it. He will always push the players toward the quickest NBA payday if he thinks they will draft in the first round. He can defend this position easier than allowing a kid to stay and then have a career-ending injury his second year. Grab the money has been his "go to" position for some time. OAD creates logistical problems with the roster year over year. Cal's OAD players that aren't ready after one year will continue to try to find a spot the second year or transfer. The conundrum for Cal with a kid like Reed, if he just wants to play a second year, will be finding minutes for the incoming guards who "expect" to see the floor so they can exit after one year. Maybe Cal can find a way to make it all work. I hope Reed stays as long as he wants. He's a generational type of talent with so many intangibles. If Sheppard wants to come back, I think Cal will have to find a way to make it happen.

You said in your post that you hoped Reed would become an AA, so Cal would have to eat his words.

I just have no clue what that means. was Cal on record saying he thought Reed sucked or wouldn't be an AA?
What are your thoughts on the video? All I see is you trying to start arguments with others.

Couldn't hurt that his father could also invest some of his NIL monies. Al McGuire used to say that the best thing about freshmen is that become sophomores. Wouldn't that be nice, but this is a different day and time. I just have a feeling that he may "want" to return but the only thing that bothers me is that Cal will push him out ... because of promised playing time for the incoming OADers.

Why wouldn't Cal keep Reed and give up an incoming OADer if it came to that?

Just what I said, if he becomes a first team AA Cal will say it was him (Cal) and at the same time it's the kid himself... If Reed wants to come back and Cal is adamant and says no way what will that turn into???? It would not work out well for Cal here in Ky....He never had that in his UMass days, or at least he never showed it...
I never said Cal said Reed sucked, you mad that part up... You are reaching for something that is not there because you love Cal so much... I like Cal also but I do not put him in front of UKBB, or any other coach.... Cal say's things by how he acts and treats player's... If you can't see it that is your fault not mine... Maybe you need to get out of your mom's basement and see the world as it is and not a dream world...

GBB

I haven’t had time to listen to him yet but that coach seems like he’s doing the right thing trying to build up a program and excel. Could be one to keep an eye on.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! Certain radio host says unless DJW and Edwards aren't our best players and getting the most minutes we won't be a title contender.
Thinking wonder who that could be let me see there is a daily radio station. On from 10 am to noon thinking
Think New Amsterdam GIF by NBC

Why wouldn't Cal keep Reed and give up an incoming OADer if it came to that?
I suppose that could happen or the incoming guy, once he hears that Sheppard is returning for year two, may go elsewhere. Who knows ... certainly not any of us. I would love to see Reed for year two however it might happen ... I just hope Cal doesn't feel compelled to nudge him out the door if he sees a first round draft selection, assuming Reed wants to stay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT