ADVERTISEMENT

If you could go back and pick a recruit Cal missed on...

If we are talking purely recruits, I would go with Wiggins. With Wiggins we likely win the title in 2014.

Swanigan would be second. Swanigan would have been the missing big man for 15-16.

If we are talking a player returning, then I would go Meeks.

Wall, Bledsoe, Meeks, Patterson, and Cousins would have destroyed everyone in 2010.

Second would be Teague back in 2013. That would have kept us out of the NIT at least.

If we are talking avoiding injury, then Poythress in 2015. We win the title with the platoons in tact.

Second would be Noel. We avoid the NIT with a healthy Noel.

2012: Back up to Davis -> 40 - 0
I agree with everything else but I don't think that championship team could have gotten to 40-0 by having a backup for any one player. Against IU Davis did great but Terrence had four points and one rebound which sank us. A backup for him would have got us to 39-1. But we couldn't have beaten SECT Vandy by replacing any one player. Everyone played more or less efficiently, it was just a bad night. Doron and Darius didn't do us any favors going 3-16 from three together. But still by the end of the night everyone including them had at least one point for every shot they put up. It was a strangely efficient loss.

I agree with everything else but I don't think that championship team could have gotten to 40-0 by having a backup for any one player. Against IU Davis did great but Terrence had four points and one rebound which sank us. A backup for him would have got us to 39-1. But we couldn't have beaten SECT Vandy by replacing any one player. Everyone played more or less efficiently, it was just a bad night. Doron and Darius didn't do us any favors going 3-16 from three together. But still by the end of the night everyone including them had at least one point for every shot they put up. It was a strangely efficient loss.

Look at that game and see how much Davis played for IU game.

Also, Davis looked exhausted in that Vandy game, he was step slow. They needed someone that can bang and relief Davis for more time during the SEC tourney.

For me our game was about Davis and if it was whether he was in foul trouble or not.

At least thats how i look at it.

Look at that game and see how much Davis played for IU game.

Also, Davis looked exhausted in that Vandy game, he was step slow. They needed someone that can bang and relief Davis for more time during the SEC tourney.

For me our game was about Davis and if it was whether he was in foul trouble or not.

At least thats how i look at it.
I gotcha.

Meeks coming back also would have most likely pushed Bledsoe to stay for his sophomore year. win/win

Meeks returns for the 09-10 team.

Kanter eligible for the following year.

Wiggins to go with the Randle team, would've been awesome to see.

Add Stanley Johnson to the 38-1 team. And for extra greediness, keep Poythresss healthy. That team goes undefeated without question.

Add Caleb Swanigan.

Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing when it comes to recruiting during the Cal era. I can definitely see where several posters are coming from when speaking of J. Allen, etc., but in the end I think that all of Cal's teams have been interconnected in one way or another and I wouldn't risk changing something in the past that could have unforeseen consequences on the future.

I mean c'mon didn't any of you watch Back To The Future as a kid? Who knows what could happen if we changed the outcome of a past recruit. For instance, Coach Robic ends up having a hair piece and Bill Self has a beautiful full head of hair if we got Xavier Henry. :p

Go Big Blue!!!

Luke Dennard. Imagine he and Murray and he and Monk together.

Except we would not have had Murray if we'd gotten Kennard. Remember Murray committed real late after reclassifying, and chose UK because we still had a scholly available and a clear opening at the SG spot. That would've been a different story if we'd already landed Kennard.

It's similarly questionable whether we'd have landed Monk if Kennard was already here.

Last edited:
Except we likely would not have had Murray if we'd gotten Kennard. Remember Murray committed real late after reclassifying, and chose UK because we still had a scholly available and a clear opening at the SG spot. That would've been a different story if we'd already landed Kennard.

It's similarly questionable whether we'd have landed Monk if Kennard was already here.

Not to mention it's terrifying to imagine Kennard trying to guard Justin Jackson with the whistle we had against Carolina.

He'd have made us worse in that particular matchup, not better. His defense was a huge net negative, and for all the love this board has of him, he's part of the reason Duke wasn't as good as they should have been.

I know his isn't the topic but this always comes up when we talk about "missing players". Meeks is the only situation where I'd humor someone about saying "if we had that guy we would have won". Adding a great player who covers up that team's weakness. Otherwise you are assuming replacing player x with player y is a big enough net upgrade that it would be enough to get the team over the hump. I don't feel like any of the common scenarios brought up would guarantee anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT