ADVERTISEMENT

If the transfers are so good why can't they get drafted.

Jul 5, 2016
I'm just wondering. Boston is going to possably be a first round choice yet Carr can't be top 100. Yet they are saying he makes Texas final four. Makes no sense to me. So we have a team full of transfers that can't get drafted and we're excited. I don't think this is a bad team but not great either. We probably have three transfers starting. Which means we have three senior startersthat won't go in the draft. Transfers Don't appear to be great players. Very good. Maybe so who are the highest rated transfers drafted. Curious

Sometimes players are good college players but not necessarily NBA players. Baylor won the title last year with good college players but not NBA stars. Wayne Turner led UK to some good wins without being an NBA player, Doron Lamb and Terrence Jones were two of our most important players under Cal and didn’t make it in the pros. Lots of the NBA players are drafted on potential before it’s realized in college, Booker being a great example.

Last edited:
Already been said but potential vastly out-rates proven product. Some players are studs but they don't have the right measurements to be an NBA player or more than a 12th man.

Players like Boston can suck in college but because their body will fill out.. NBA is banking on that + increase skill through repetition

Reactions: TM2013 and G-PIP
I'm just wondering. Boston is going to possably be a first round choice yet Carr can't be top 100. Yet they are saying he makes Texas final four. Makes no sense to me. So we have a team full of transfers that can't get drafted and we're excited. I don't think this is a bad team but not great either. We probably have three transfers starting. Which means we have three senior startersthat won't go in the draft. Transfers Don't appear to be great players. Very good. Maybe so who are the highest rated transfers drafted. Curious
A lot of players get drafted on potential, not their performance in college. Kofi wouldn't even get drafted, but that guy is going to be a huge change for any roster in college.

Reactions: G-PIP and chroix
I wouldn't bet on or against BJ Boston succeeding in the NBA with real money. lol But I will watch to see if he matures and actually can hang on for a few years.

I have asked myself this exact same question

Basketball is not transitive. I think we’ve pretty well established that NBA draft potential DOES NOT necessarily translate into college performance.

We’ve been watching this for over 10 years now people. It really should be sinking in.
now lets flip it....does college performance translate into the NBA? I think we've seen this for the past several years where most of the time it doesn't....

I like this OP. If the transfers are that awesome like I think, why were they not even on the NBA radar whereas a kid who had almost no fundamentals like Boston is supposedly a draft choice? I get about potential but what about performance?

However, I do love the college game more than pro's and also I like many of the international rules over some of ours. Our games are much more exciting and fun.

It’s even worse in the NFL with trying to figure out who has the skills in college to make it in the league. Did Pete Carroll ever have a successful player in the NFL from his USC days? We see top draft picks consistently whiff the the NFL.

now lets flip it....does college performance translate into the NBA? I think we've seen this for the past several years where most of the time it doesn't....
I don’t think it goes either way. People want a nice simple, if this then that. Doesn’t work in basketball or any sport for that matter.

We’ve seen many admirable college performers tank at the next level. No surprises here except to the person that expects simple conclusions.

Dude are you serious it’s pretty damn simple read a scouting report. If your basketball knowledge is that bad you can’t figure it out fine maybe your 10 years old but don’t draw conclusions or guys will give you a hard time.

Wheeler is 5’9 and hasn’t been a great shooter but you can be undersized at college level and be great remember Ulis, but definitely would help if he improves his shot.

Grady just hasn’t shown NBA athleticism and not great size. Still very good in college to me similar to Aaron Harrison.

Oscar is undersized for a center and not a skilled PF. He’s been great in college.

Mintz is same as Grady with less size.

Boston has great size and showing some shooting touch and lots of potential.

Carr hasn’t improved as a shooter simple. If you can’t shoot and your a guard NBA doesn’t want you.

It’s not complicated you need NBA size, shooting is a must now or they need to believe you will improve and you need athleticism for your position. At college if your lacking a little in one area you won’t get exposed so you won’t hurt your team.

As far as first one Drafted depends on development and potential it may end up being Toppin. It’s going to depend on who can get better as shooter because they won’t grow to NBA size. Except maybe Toppin dudes a freak he might end up 7’2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ky grandpa
BIG big difference in a great college player and good NBA player. Most years in college one or more of the player of the year contenders aren't even on draft boards.

Reactions: Ky grandpa

You are confused, believing college basketball and NBA basketball are the same sport.
There have been lots of very good or great college players who couldn’t cut it in the nba (some not even get drafted), and some nba players who were just ok in college.

College sports are different than professional sports. Charlie Ward won the Heisman and was a serviceable college basketball player. Didn't get drafted in the NFL but started in the NBA for around 15 years.

Is this just one dumbass with a bunch of burner accounts or are there really multiple here dumb enough to not understand the difference between college and pro basketball?

Is this just one dumbass with a bunch of burner accounts or are there really multiple here dumb enough to not understand the difference between college and pro basketball?
For me again it is not about understanding the differences but recognizing the expectations of our transfers in reality versus the hyped up expectations we have every year. There were many saying around this time last year that Boston and Clarke were going to be the greatest guard duo of all time at Kentucky. Admit it, some of you now making different statements were the same saying or believing that hype.

But, this comment to me shows everything that is wrong with the NBA:"Boston has great size and showing some shooting touch and lots of potential." Uh, name when that occurred??????? Almost every team we faced, their guards peformed better even some otherwise lousy teams.

Dude are you serious it’s pretty damn simple read a scouting report. If your basketball knowledge is that bad you can’t figure it out fine maybe your 10 years old but don’t draw conclusions or guys will give you a hard time.

Wheeler is 5’9 and hasn’t been a great shooter but you can be undersized at college level and be great remember Ulis, but definitely would help if he improves his shot.

Grady just hasn’t shown NBA athleticism and not great size. Still very good in college to me similar to Aaron Harrison.

Oscar is undersized for a center and not a skilled PF. He’s been great in college.

Mintz is same as Grady with less size.

Boston has great size and showing some shooting touch and lots of potential.

Carr hasn’t improved as a shooter simple. If you can’t shoot and your a guard NBA doesn’t want you.

It’s not complicated you need NBA size, shooting is a must now or they need to believe you will improve and you need athleticism for your position. At college if your lacking a little in one area you won’t get exposed so you won’t hurt your team.

As far as first one Drafted depends on development and potential it may end up being Toppin. It’s going to depend on who can get better as shooter because they won’t grow to NBA size. Except maybe Toppin dudes a freak he might end up 7’2.

I must have missed something, is Toppin still growing?? How tall is he now??

no doubt that the OP is an uneducated troll

like most trolls he makes a fly by post thinking he has a "gotcha ya" moment, then he gets on his other accounts that have a total of 65 posts to gives himself likes
only to find out his own ignorance of knowing the difference in college and pro players

really sad when in reality he is probably a grown man

Reactions: chroix
Whole lot of posters who brag about UK and lotto picks , projections , how great our former players are doing now acting like the league and its draftees don’t really matter that much .. bunch of blind homers in realville . I hope our transfers all kick ass , but adding Cal a support staff to keep him from going off a cliff like last year is probably more crucial than non NBA level transfers .

This is blatantly obvious if you watch the current NBA game. It's extremely difficult to get there without extreme skill or physical attributes that many good college players just don't have. Doesn't mean they can't be great in college and lead a team to a Final Four.

Unless maybe high draft picks are people with things like height and wingspan and athleticism and “potential“that doesn’t necessarily translate to basketball and they can actually be terrible basketball players, especially college basketball players

Why are you guys being so nice to the OP? It's a stupid question.
It's really not a stupid question. @ManitouDan and @uk78 answered it best.
All the other 'answers' about how some kids do great in college but don't translate to the NBA'... is fundamentally counter to how we've operated under Cal.... filling our rosters with kids destined to get to the NBA. Only the greatest college players become pros... our transfers (and others) are not great college players... few transfers across the NCAA will be difference makers.
So what you really mean is... the one-and-done landscape has changed and these transfers are the best we can get now. The OP makes a valid point.
Where I think transfers are important is their experience. There is not a single kid on our roster that really excites me, but we now have the collective experience to win a lot of games and make a legit run at a championship... something that our young teams of future NBA all-stars were only able to do once.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT