ADVERTISEMENT

If Sharpe comes and doesn’t play then goes pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubbyfan78

Junior
Feb 9, 2021
IMO, Cal should be removed as coach. You have to know what’s going on with that kid at this point and protect your employer. If the kid wants to come this year, I’d either take him and play him or tell him to go elsewhere and use their facilities and NIL deals. I hope the kid comes and I hope he plays but Cal has to have control of the players that come into this program to some degree.

IMO, Cal should be removed as coach. You have to know what’s going on with that kid at this point and protect your employer. If the kid wants to come this year, I’d either take him and play him or tell him to go elsewhere and use their facilities and NIL deals. I hope the kid comes and I hope he plays but Cal has to have control of the players that come into this program to some degree.
All the same hand wringing that people went through with Diallo is resurfacing. It didn’t happem then and it won’t happen now. Sharpe’s mentor was adament how he was not going that route yet some people can’t bring themselves to accept that.

Sleep this anger off. Tomorrow you will wake up and realize how absurd this thread is.

Yikes.

Grow up. What a ridiculous take. As if Cal shouldn't have recruited the #1 player because it might not work out.

disgust-clint-eastwood.gif

The problem is, this isn't something a coach can control, or at least has full control over. For all we know the player could flat out lie. Not much Cal can do if Sharpe comes, practices, and then decides to bolt.

But I do think Cal needs to flesh this out. Find out what Sharpe is looking to do as best he can, and have a gameplan. .And I'm sure he is

If Calipari continues to miss final fours, has too much roster turnover, and has kids using the program without committing, then yea he should be fired or asked to resign.

I don’t know enough about fortune telling to know if Sharp will play or not, but if he doesn’t, and we don’t win this season to the degree UK is supposed to, the seat is going to be hot. And the Cal first section of RR won’t stop that from happening.

I hope Calipari is our next goat with multiple titles, but if he’s not it’s time for the next man. No one signed up for this program to be used as a stepping stone to cash without the wins that are supposed to come with it. Win, everything is fine. Don’t win, these types of issues become magnified.

People who wonder where rivals get their ammunition when they claim Kentucky basketball has the worst fans in America: They come here and cherry pick posts like this one.
(And yes I know it is very likely the OP is a fake and a troll.)

I don’t understand the desire by some to have total and complete control over 18 year olds and the decisions that they make regarding their own future. If Sharpe chooses to leave, for whatever reason, wish him well and move on. Why would anyone want to hold a HOF coach responsible for that decision and fire him over it? Makes no sense to me.

As opinions go, that's a pretty shitty one.

I don’t understand the desire by some to have total and complete control over 18 year olds and the decisions that they make regarding their own future. If Sharpe chooses to leave, for whatever reason, wish him well and move on. Why would anyone want to hold a HOF coach responsible for that decision and fire him over it? Makes no sense to me.

What would you hold the head coach responsible for?

Listen, we can play this game all day.

- We win 9 games = what do you want the coach to do? They’re 18 year olds. Sht happens.

- players use UK and never contribute = what do you want the coach to do? They’re 18 year olds. Move on.

- 7 year final four drought = what do you want the coach to do? The players are 18, sometimes they just don’t work out.

- doors blown off us by Duke = What do you want the coach to do, they’re 18 year olds. Why does it matter!!??

- losing to Auburn and Kansas State in the tournament = what do you want the coach to do? They’re 18, move in with your life!

- getting beat by half of ranked teams we play = what do you want the coach to do! They’re kids! Move on!!

At some point a few of you are going to either accept the coach is responsible or continue to see lackluster basketball. I’d suggest being a UK fan first, and a coach fan second, but I’m aware there are some who simply cannot do that.

I would like to think that anyone on the pro-Cal side would not approve of his actions in helping get Sharpe to the NBA without returning any of his services. I know I wouldn't.

.. I'd also like to think the anti-Cal crowd is smart enough to realize that this likely isn't something Cal can control, very likely isn't just trying to add "another" kid to the NBA, and if for nothing else, knows his career is at a cross roads, where NOT having a player like Sharpe play, could cost him his job.

It's silly right now to think that Cal and Sharpe are in some sort of cahoots, some backdoor-deal where Cal lets him just come in to practice freely and then Cal sends him on his way to the NBA. But.. if that ends up being true, or Cal doesn't do enough to squash this type of behavior, than that is indeed on him.

Reactions: chroix
A week or so ago a poster had a thread on the football board about how Georgia should refuse to play in the sec championship game and ensure themselves a birth in the final 4. At the time I posted that was the worst thread I had ever read. I need to apologize to that poster after reading this one. This is now the worst post in history.

- We win 9 games = what do you want the coach to do? They’re 18 year olds. Sht happens.

- players use UK and never contribute = what do you want the coach to do? They’re 18 year olds. Move on.

- 7 year final four drought = what do you want the coach to do? The players are 18, sometimes they just don’t work out.

- doors blown off us by Duke = What do you want the coach to do, they’re 18 year olds. Why does it matter!!??

- losing to Auburn and Kansas State in the tournament = what do you want the coach to do? They’re 18, move in with your life!

- getting beat by half of ranked teams we play = what do you want the coach to do! They’re kids! Move on!!

At some point a few of you are going to either accept the coach is responsible or continue to see lackluster basketball. I’d suggest being a UK fan first, and a coach fan second, but I’m aware there are some who simply cannot do that.
I do think Cal is responsible, or at least take the brunt of the blame, for a few of the things you listed. Ultimately a coach is supposed to win ball games and win games for his employer. I sometimes wonder what Cal's priorities really are in his heart of hearts. But, I DO NOT want Cal gone. When it comes down to it, I don't know what coach is out there to roll the dice on. Too much of a risk, IMO. And as far as the effects of a 'coach first fanbase', growing up in Indy, I can point you to numerous IU fans that regret that mentality these days.

If I had to guess, Cal recruited him for 2022 and we got that commitment. I don't like it that he is coming early, but I believe that decision was made by Sharpe and his camp. Is Cal supposed to say no at that point to the kid? Hell no. Like many recruits now, they want to cash in sooner rather than later. I don't blame them at all. I do believe his chances of playing for UK are lower now than they were, but I will roll with it anyway.

Reactions: Atrain7732
Alright then what do you think he should do? Tell the number 1 player in the country he’s not welcome yet? If you ask me if he tells the # 1 player he can’t join the team yet and he goes somewhere else that’s the idiotic decision that deserves being fired.
Yeah it’s a risk but not near as much as in years past before free agency.

Anybody know the details of how Cal handled Hami in practice when he came early? My concern is SS's practice time might upset team chemistry somehow during games.

Reactions: Zissou87
If Sharpe comes and does play, you can't post anymore!! That way no matter what some of us are happy!

Anybody know the details of how Cal handled Hami in practice when he came early? My concern is SS's practice time might upset team chemistry somehow during games.
If he’s not playing he won’t run with the starters.

If he comes early, play him...he is your best player.

I still think we should have played Diallo in 2016-2017.

giphy.gif

At this point I still look but the overall outcome of the job is done here. I also know we had great runs 2017 2019 and 2020 So getting there to be competitive in the tourney is a necessary step to going all the way . You picked every mistake without weighing accomplishments. Also what coach hasn’t had a significant amount of failures and let downs.

I agree we all want progress to get back to where we were and replacing your staff and getting the top players in recruiting balanced with experience is a great start. Defending the OPs stance is as moronic as the statement itself.

Last edited:

I think the original post is ridiculous, but I can't argue with this one.

Lol dumb post

Reactions: Ed323232
People who wonder where rivals get their ammunition when they claim Kentucky basketball has the worst fans in America: They come here and cherry pick posts like this one.
(And yes I know it is very likely the OP is a fake and a troll.)
The only people I see saying that UK has the worst fans in American are UK fans like you, who keep saying that UK fans have the worst fans in America.

It's weird, but it's what you do.

At this point I still look but the overall outcome of the job is done here. I also know we had great runs 2017 2019 and 2020 So getting there to be competitive in the tourney is a necessary step to going all the way . You picked every mistake without weighing accomplishments. Also what coach hasn’t had a significant amount of failures and let downs.

I agree we all want progress to get back to where we were and replacing your staff and getting the top players in recruiting balanced with experience is a great start. Defending the OPs stance is as moronic as the statement itself.

There really isn’t anything to speak of on the back end of Calipari’s tenure. I’m the first person who wants that to be the reverse, but I’m not going to offer Calipari blind loyalty and defend the indefensible.

If someone told me Cals next 5 years are going to be like his previous, yes I’d want a coaching change. He cannot afford to have a repeat because the record isn’t Kentucky standards.

Fans do this sort of thing all the time. Go back and read the Gillispie threads. 90% of this board supported him until the end. I remember having a terrible run in with him on the road in Oxford. I couldn’t find a single UK fan at that hotel that thought Gillispie was worth the UK job. When I logged on to explain all of the things that happened at Oxford, nearly the entire board took defense of Gillispie.

So I don’t expect anything different with Cal as he’s way more defendable even if people are beginning to stretch it.

Cal better start winning to UK standards or he will be replaced. That’s how this works. Cals job is to temper the expectations for his job security. It’s the fans job not to buy in to coach speak and demand the program wins. It is not set in stone that UK is the best program of all time. There are teams on our heals, and I care more about that than defending a coach. Cal is a terrific salesman, that’s why I just look at the record. I do believe Calipari is good enough at the salesman job that he could have a losing record the next 2 years and 30% of this board would defend him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT