ADVERTISEMENT

IF Mitch had a re-do would he still hire Cal?

Basil Cat

Blue Chip Prospect
May 25, 2021
NC’s are so rare I would have to say yes I think. It will be Mitch’s only major championship on his watch (Volleyball, Rifle, and Cheer withstanding). But you have to wonder with all the recent drama, lifetime contract fiasco, and the last 5 years of fan frustration is it?

But he will probably wish he had let him go to UCLA if that was truly on the table.

Yes he'd hire him again. He was about to get fired if the basketball program didn't improve and he made an embarrassing hire with Gillespie.

Where he and all AD's make mistakes is not understanding these HC's often go for "hugs" when they are depressed and realize they are losing their fastball. Iowans would freak out about losing Kirk Ferentz. Why? This is a control freak dickhead who can't handle the Iowa media being critical but he'd seek to go to the NFL or a bigger job and handle scrutiny? Bob Stoops often would leak he was looking at the NFL or another job-and he was very overly sensitive as well.

With Cal there were 2 reasons I'd have called his bluff. Cal's wife is not going to seek LA at this time of her life. It's away from all of her kids, it's a massive city and nowhere does it resemble a college town.

Secondly, Cal's ego of being in a city where he's not the biggest show in town would never fit. He couldn't handle being 5th/6th fiddle. He is frustrated with FB team getting preferential treatment in Lexington, how would he handle being behind the Lakers, Dodgers, Rams, USC Football, Clippers, Angels in terms of importance? A UCLA home game resembles a Covid era gathering. Mitch panicked because he's about as far behind as it gets and did the deal.

At this point you whack both of them whenever it's happening. One can't stay-both have to go.

The one thing I’ve never read is how serious were the Cal to ucla murmurs? I remeber at that time, Tucker put something out saying Cal wasn’t feeling appreciated by BBN anymore. Was there serious interests or was it Cal and his agent seeing an opportunity to cash in. It always seemed like an odd fit and situation.

Yes he'd hire him again. He was about to get fired if the basketball program didn't improve and he made an embarrassing hire with Gillespie.

Where he and all AD's make mistakes is not understanding these HC's often go for "hugs" when they are depressed and realize they are losing their fastball. Iowans would freak out about losing Kirk Ferentz. Why? This is a control freak dickhead who can't handle the Iowa media being critical but he'd seek to go to the NFL or a bigger job and handle scrutiny? Bob Stoops often would leak he was looking at the NFL or another job-and he was very overly sensitive as well.

With Cal there were 2 reasons I'd have called his bluff. Cal's wife is not going to seek LA at this time of her life. It's away from all of her kids, it's a massive city and nowhere does it resemble a college town.

Secondly, Cal's ego of being in a city where he's not the biggest show in town would never fit. He couldn't handle being 5th/6th fiddle. He is frustrated with FB team getting preferential treatment in Lexington, how would he handle being behind the Lakers, Dodgers, Rams, USC Football, Clippers, Angels in terms of importance? A UCLA home game resembles a Covid era gathering. Mitch panicked because he's about as far behind as it gets and did the deal.

At this point you whack both of them whenever it's happening. One can't stay-both have to go.
Will they hack them at the end of this season? I sure hope so

He'll retire from here and move to Nashville but I really don't think it will be for 3 to 5 years.

1, Cal was right hire in 2010
2. I even was fine with extending Cal in 2019 (we had just come off PJ Washington Sophomore season.....got to elite 8....final part of year was messed up alot due to Travis and PJ getting nicked up and we never got rolling like we were in January
3. But the lifetime stuff was absurd in length and money. Just make him highest paid coach in college but 4-5 years for reruitng purposes....

And then when this past 4 years happened....we'd have ample room to move Cal out of Lexington without huge contract buyouts. It wasn't rocket science....but Mitch has really low bars for his coaches.

Mitch didn’t have much of a choice in Cals hire. Promise you that. He did what he was told to do. If he had his say, he wouldn’t have hired him firs time.

Reactions: NociHTTP
The original hire isn’t the issue. It’s the “lifetime contract even if you underperform” that is 100% the issue. Cal has had UK by the balls the past few years and really isn’t hungry anymore. It’s pretty obvious at this point his mission isn’t winning championships for UK and that’s sad. He always said get the blue chip 5 star talent and everything else will work itself out. That was generally true up to 2015. It clearly has not been the case since.

Will they hack them at the end of this season? I sure hope so
Season has yet to end-but Barnhart's silence is getting loud and I know the contradiction there. This was a team everyone was enjoying and fun to watch and Cal got his hands on it as many fans here predicted---specifically with the "return of the 7'0" and it's been a dumpster fire. .500 basketball. Poorly coached in all facets--lacking preparation, lacking adjustments, going against what worked (2nd UF game), lacking understanding of situational basketball and fearful to play the correct personnel due to personal promises and relationships.

You can tell people the Sun is Black all you want--people have eyes. He can make up why he does things-it's not working. His response? To be a coward and give an excuse that a child gives while his players take answers and behave like men. They deserve better.

I’m probably not supposed to post this but I’ll take a chance, lol . There was some discussion on the premium site last week where it was mentioned that Mitch was forced to give Cal that ridiculous contract by the administration. I personally don’t know if that’s true , but I’ve always wondered if Mitch despises Cal so bad ( I know for a fact they can’t stand each other) why he gave him a contract virtually assuring he would have to deal with him as long as he was UKs AD.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
2010- Yes, that was a no brainer.

Giving him a Lifetime contract with an ENORMOUS buyout was the ONLY problem!!!

Now we are STUCK with a LAME DUCK coach that is just sucking the program dry that he made so incredibly great those first 8 seasons.

Sad all around and Mitch, Capiluto and those on the UK Board of directors need to give the Alums and fans an answer to HOW it gets fixed.

Last edited:
I’m probably not supposed to post this but I’ll take a chance, lol . There was some discussion on the premium site last week where it was mentioned that Mitch was forced to give Cal that ridiculous contract by the administration. I personally don’t know if that’s true , but I’ve always wondered if Mitch despises Cal so bad ( I know for a fact they can’t stand each other) why he gave him a contract virtually assuring he would have to deal with him as long as he was UKs AD.
So there's blame games going on.....no matter what the big $ people win in this one because they are needed to get things done. Not being in that room or knowing what took place, even if that's true, you need to help the HC that you are attached to be successful, not fight with him because you 2 hate each other. All that means is Barnhart is just as big of a contributor to the "**** You" to the fans and that's absurd in both of their positions.

Barnhart got to coast from '10-'20. Fans weren't happy with post '15--but Cal putting out Elite 8 teams in '17 and '19 and winning SEC Tournament in '17 '18, helped calm things a bit. '21 was beginning of the end. '22 NCAA loss should've been the end. '23---gross. '24 refreshing but getting stale and fans are just broken/worn down. Nice gig if you can get it. Be a complete idiot in hire you make-then Cal hands you success/you can go anonymous and pretend to care/not care depending which way the fans/media feel.

My take is nothing less than Elite 8 for most and many it'll take Final Four appearance to want him to return. I know many who say "Get to Final Four and retire". They are just tired of the schtick and want him out.

I trust you on most things . But I don’t believe that.
That was actually a joke. But back in that time frame it was a lot different and Holtmann was thrown out as Drew has been now-so it's not as funny if you go back to that time.

That being said it was typed as a joke.

Reactions: yoshukai
So why would he have a choice this time around? He needs to be little boy'd again. Stand in the corner out of the way and STFU.
I agree. Some of the guys that forced his hand are no longer around. RIP Mike Pratt. And another has basically switched his focus to Stoops (thanks to Cal). Those two pretty much drove the hire. And I honestly don’t know if there are any others right now who care enough. We will see.

That was actually a joke. But back in that time frame it was a lot different and Holtmann was thrown out as Drew has been now-so it's not as funny if you go back to that time.

That being said it was typed as a joke.
I do agree that Holtman was held in a much higher regard back then . As was Cal , lol .

The one thing I’ve never read is how serious were the Cal to ucla murmurs? I remeber at that time, Tucker put something out saying Cal wasn’t feeling appreciated by BBN anymore. Was there serious interests or was it Cal and his agent seeing an opportunity to cash in. It always seemed like an odd fit and situation.
No way to know for sure. I remember pretty much everyone wanting Cal to stay and be extended in some sort. I also remember “leaks” that negotiations included things like private jet and other accommodations.

My big worry is he does stick around another 3 years. That does not sound fun.

I'm ready for him to go because they aren't going to let UK go on another tourney roll while he's here. But didn't he say this year that he's not leaving until the whole allstar game is UK? Hopefully he was joking about staying longer but I think he wants to "use" UK to keep shoving them in there. At the end of the day, he looks tired and I think if we have another mass-exodus he just might retire. May come down to who retuns next year.

Reactions: WeWant9
I have always supposed that it was some of the highest level donors that pressured MB into giving Calipari the "lifetime contract". Those that Calipari used to be really tight with. He basically used them to get that ridiculous contract out of Barnhart. I can't see Capilouto being the mastermind behind that terrible idea.
Maybe MB figured out he had been played by Calipari and friends for the golden contract and decided to balk on a new practice facility as payback?

I'm ready for him to go because they aren't going to let UK go on another tourney roll while he's here. But didn't he say this year that he's not leaving until the whole allstar game is UK? Hopefully he was joking about staying longer but I think he wants to "use" UK to keep shoving them in there. At the end of the day, he looks tired and I think if we have another mass-exodus he just might retire. May come down to who retuns next year.
He hasn’t done a great job of getting guys in the league recently, so outside of the current all stars, I’m not sure who’d be next up. Maybe Sharpe, but I can’t count him as a former Cat.

He does look beat down. My gf, who doesn’t watch college bball, saw him doing an interview and said he doesn’t look well. I showed her a pic of Cal with Wall, from 2010, and she didn’t believe it was the same guy. I have a hard time believing it’s the same guy myself.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
I think Barnhart would still hire Cal.
I have seen nothing stated publicly by Barnhart that suggests he has any issue with the state of the program whatsoever.

He didn’t want to hire Cal to begin with, and they apparently have a terrible relationship. So no, I don’t think he would.
What would it matter? He's the guy that hired Billy Clyde before Cal. If it hadn't been Cal it would have been another wrong choice.

Stackhouse out--Cal can go to Vanderbilt and coach with his kid and make them "fun". Years that Kentucky fans are upset with would be celebrated in Nashville.
They bought a house there. I could see it. I could also see Ohio State and the soon to be open slot at Michigan.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
1, Cal was right hire in 2010
2. I even was fine with extending Cal in 2019 (we had just come off PJ Washington Sophomore season.....got to elite 8....final part of year was messed up alot due to Travis and PJ getting nicked up and we never got rolling like we were in January
3. But the lifetime stuff was absurd in length and money. Just make him highest paid coach in college but 4-5 years for reruitng purposes....

And then when this past 4 years happened....we'd have ample room to move Cal out of Lexington without huge contract buyouts. It wasn't rocket science....but Mitch has really low bars for his coaches.
100% agree with this take. Had it been a 5 year contract, he would be in the last year of his contract.

Reactions: K_TIME and Smashcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT