ADVERTISEMENT

If Calipari were to retire at the end of the season...

I am not saying Petersen is bad by any means, but he hasn't really killed it at Washington yet either. The 3 good bowls they have made they lost. Last year they stepped back to 8-5. I mean I would gladly trade for Stoops, but still....

He really hasn't though. In the last 5 we both have a F4, 2 other E8's. We have 1 other SW16 and they have 2. I mean if that extra sw16 does it for you then so be it, but I don't hold that in very high regard. Zags were also a 1 seed twice in that timeframe and a 2 another time. Cal has been a 1 seed 3 times in his UK tenure. 2 of those ended in Final fours and the other ended in the E8. 1 championship to show for it as well.
He had a runner-up and we had a Final Four and he had a Sweet 16 while we had a 2nd round exit. I’m Going further 2 of the 5 years and the same distance the other 3 seems something you might agree is more successful, but obviously not

Peterson retired last year after leading UW to a New Years 6 bowl in 3 of his final 4 years. If you don’t called that killing it at Washington, your expectations are through the roof.

He had a runner-up and we had a Final Four and he had a Sweet 16 while we had a 2nd round exit. I’m Going further 2 of the 5 years and the same distance the other 3 seems something you might agree is more successful, but obviously not

Peterson retired last year after leading UW to a New Years 6 bowl in 3 of his final 4 years. If you don’t called that killing it at Washington, your expectations are through the roof.

What was the success? What did get out of it. We each ended up with a final 4, 2 additonal elite 8's and 1 sw 16 to 2 sw 16. I am sorry I just don't see that as any better when you were given better seeds more often. It just is what it is. Perhaps worst in the country is a bit hyperbolic, but it still isn't great considering the teams, seeds and expectations that they had most of the last several years.

He never won a single 1 of them! Like I said, he wasn't bad and he really did improve Washington, but I wouldn't say he's been killing it when he couldn't get over the hump of winning one of those bowls. I think he ended there with 2 wins in 6 bowls, correct? Again, great accomplishment to make those bowls, but you gotta win at least one of the 3 to be killing it. However, if I was comparing him to Stoops, I would gladly admit Petersen is better and would still gladly hire him over Stoops if he's interested.

What was the success? What did get out of it. We each ended up with a final 4, 2 additonal elite 8's and 1 sw 16 to 2 sw 16. I am sorry I just don't see that as any better when you were given better seeds more often. It just is what it is. Perhaps worst in the country is a bit hyperbolic, but it still isn't great considering the teams, seeds and expectations that they had most of the last several years.

He never won a single 1 of them! Like I said, he wasn't bad and he really did improve Washington, but I wouldn't say he's been killing it when he couldn't get over the hump of winning one of those bowls. I think he ended there with 2 wins in 6 bowls, correct? Again, great accomplishment to make those bowls, but you gotta win at least one of the 3 to be killing it. However, if I was comparing him to Stoops, I would gladly admit Petersen is better and would still gladly hire him over Stoops if he's interested.
I can’t tell if you’re just messing with me or truly believe the stuff you type....or both.

Reactions: UK90
I can’t tell if you’re just messing with me or truly believe the stuff you type....or both.
What am I messing with you about?

The basketball stuff is pretty cut and dry. Our records the last 5 years are almost identical. They have been seeded higher most years. Last 10 years it isn't even close, and career wise is obviously not close either. The reason most people are claiming for wanting Cal out is lack of winning and advancing far enough in the tournament recently. Not saying you are one of them, but if that is ultimately the reason Cal goes, Few would not be a logically wise hire considering their records are almost identical the last 5 years. Which would be Few's best stretch of his career. If Few manages to win it all this year, you might have a more compelling argument. If he doesn't or gets bounced early, then it goes even more against him.

As far as Petersen, I will say he killed it at Boise st, considering what he built from nothing. He was very, very good at Washington, but you can't say he killed it if he lost the 3 biggest games he coached them in. All in a row no less. Not to mention being 2-4 in bowl games. Just not how I see it at least.

Pearl would be such the easy choice if he didn’t have baggage. He would win a lot of games. Just don’t think Barney would pick him.

Every coach mentioned in this thread (and there have been some very good ones), do not have the amount of the success the man they are replacing has lol.

Reactions: Will Bithers
Every coach mentioned in this thread (and there have been some very good ones), do not have the amount of the success the man they are replacing has lol.
That’s mostly true although a few have had more success than the man they are replacing before he came to Kentucky.

Donovan does, but that's about it. I think he is about the absolute best hire we could make post Cal.
Please no more Donovan talk ...ever.

We’ve twice already pursued him hard, and he rejected us both times. And you want to let him do it a third time?

Last edited:
Reactions: villefan76
Please no more Donovan talk ...ever.

We’ve twice already pursued him hard, and he rejected us both times. And you want to let him do it a third time?
I don't get offended by someone turning us down because they realize it wasn't the right time. When he turned us down the first time he literally took an NBA offer a month or 2 later and then backed out. After we offered the second time, he ended up leaving a few seasons later to the NBA. Clearly he wanted to coach the NBA during his career. I would rather him say no when he knew he ultimately would have left for a decent NBA offer. Now that he has made it there and it isn’t working out, hopefully he would want to take a top job in CBB if he continues coaching and maybe retire here. He can coach, he can recruit and he has even better connections now. He has a better resume than anyone in CBB right now. He has connections here. He gets the pressure and expectations of the job. His teams also play the Pitino style that people loved and he keeps most players around more than 1 season. He literally checks every box we want.

Just what pressure do you think he feels? Right now he’s got a small group of haters with false expectations. He’s pretty obviously laughing at them. His management appears happy as a clam. I don’t see this pressure.
Sonny, you have no clue and no I'm not going to clue you in, maybe in a few years.

Just what pressure do you think he feels? Right now he’s got a small group of haters with false expectations. He’s pretty obviously laughing at them. His management appears happy as a clam. I don’t see this pressure.

Yeah I don’t know what that’s all about. He got a lifetime contract with a preposterous buyout. It’s his job until he decides he doesn’t want it anymore. No matter how much kicking and screaming we do as fans. We basically handed UK basketball over to him. It might as well be the John Calipari Wildcats.

My first choice would be Brad Stevens, but he's not giving up the Celts deal I'm afraid. You never know who's available until the job actually opens - and 10 million would land one helluva fish.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT