ADVERTISEMENT

I would take bronny at Kentucky

Ian Jackson was the miss.

I wouldn't mind taking Bronny, but if you think the Livingston stuff was weird, just wait until Papa LeBron gets mad at Cal for playing his son 22 minutes/game.

Reactions: track42
Would Lebron be the coach at that point? With all the assumed concessions Cal makes for recruits and their handlers I can’t imagine him having much of a say if Lebron’s kid was involved. The egos involved would be so massive it might be entertaining to watch if it wasn’t at UK.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Ian Jackson was the miss.

I wouldn't mind taking Bronny, but if you think the Livingston stuff was weird, just wait until Papa LeBron gets mad at Cal for playing his son 22 minutes/game.
You do realize Bronny played 15 min a game one of his years at SC and Lebron was perfectly fine with it?

99% of anyone's issue around here with Bronny is their distaste for his dad for non basketball reasons. He's been a model citizen and representative of the NBA his entire career. Bronny would be a really good contributor to a team and I'd definitely take him here if there was a spot. The only issue I'd share with people is the circus he'd come with, there's no evidence LeBron would be anything other than a really supportive parent, but him wanting a say in Bronny's role would be a tiny worry in the back of my head.

Klutch tried to dictate every move for Livingston. I’ll pass on a 13 point a game HS senior with the Klutch and Lebron circus. Reeves will be way more valuable than he would.
You blaming Klutch for something Livingston already wants.they work for him. We can’t avoid players just cause of Lebron that’s stupid. I guarantee some of these kids we having coming in deal with them already. It’s how the game goes

Not the kid's fault, but the coach that takes him is going to be one of the two:

1. A HC so desperate for a break-out season he'll risk, and its just a risk, giving a parent with a huge social media platform a larger voice over his program than he has.

2. A grizzled, old veteran that literally doesn't give an ish about LeBron, social media, or what anybody else has to say about anything.

Cal doesn't fit into either of these categories. Bonny would be better off on the left coast.

First time i have seen Bronny play , he looks like a good player and I agree with most I think he stays out west.

99% of anyone's issue around here with Bronny is their distaste for his dad for non basketball reasons. He's been a model citizen and representative of the NBA his entire career. Bronny would be a really good contributor to a team and I'd definitely take him here if there was a spot. The only issue I'd share with people is the circus he'd come with, there's no evidence LeBron would be anything other than a really supportive parent, but him wanting a say in Bronny's role would be a tiny worry in the back of my head.

Exactly. I think the "circus" thing is a bit overblown here.

You do realize Bronny played 15 min a game one of his years at SC and Lebron was perfectly fine with it?
Oh, I'm sure he'd be fine with 15 minutes a game at Kentucky.

giphy.gif

what happened to lebron and cals relationship? there was a time that I would consider cal a lock to land brons kid.

Our fall out with Nike

They were never "friends" so there was no fall out between them. At the time they were both represented by the same agent or agency. It was beneficial to both parties. There never were times when Calipari had LeBron and the family over for dinner or vice versa. All the talk about figuring Cal would be a lock to land him was speculation made up in the minds of fans.

The kid is obviously a good player. He hit shots last night so yeah let's get him then listen to everyone bitch and moan the first time he goes 0 for 6 and misses a last second shot that could have won a game. Or if he does miss a few shots and Reed Sheppard doesn't get in immediately. Why did we get him ? Cal only recruited him because he was friends with LeBron. Calipari doesn't like Kentucky kids. Blah, blah, blah.

Reactions: Zissou87
Let me guess, you’re not a big Lebron fan? So you already have a preconceived notion about him being overbearing even though actual reality is quite the oppposite.
Nah.

Your guess is wrong.

Your assumption is also wrong concerning LeBron's openness to Bronny playing 15 minutes a game.

They were never "friends" so there was no fall out between them. At the time they were both represented by the same agent or agency. It was beneficial to both parties. There never were times when Calipari had LeBron and the family over for dinner or vice versa. All the talk about figuring Cal would be a lock to land him was speculation made up in the minds of fans.

The kid is obviously a good player. He hit shots last night so yeah let's get him then listen to everyone bitch and moan the first time he goes 0 for 6 and misses a last second shot that could have won a game. Or if he does miss a few shots and Reed Sheppard doesn't get in immediately. Why did we get him ? Cal only recruited him because he was friends with LeBron. Calipari doesn't like Kentucky kids. Blah, blah, blah.

Agreed, the the question asked was what happened to Cal and LeBrons relationship, which I agree was a business relationship. I think Nike liked to push stars our way at the time. When our relationship with Nike soured, lots of stars began to ignore us and pump Duke.

Reactions: BillyJoeCat-fan
I am gonna say no………. The media circus that would follow, although no fault of the kid, would be a total disruption.

Best of luck to him, just someplace else.

Agreed, the the question asked was what happened to Cal and LeBrons relationship, which I agree was a business relationship. I think Nike liked to push stars our way at the time. When our relationship with Nike soured, lots of stars began to ignore us and pump Duke.

I can see that and it definitely didn't help. Part of the NIKE fallout if you call it that stemmed from the original format for the inaugural event (PK's 80th Birthday I believe it was) was changed. It was supposed to be you played every other day. An Associate AD I know told me that. There was also supposed to be a small school division of that tournament that fell through. That came straight from the Associate AD of one of those smaller schools that originally had been invited. When they dropped them, they decided on playing on consecutive days. Calipari doesn't like the idea of playing games with no practice time in between games, especially since they are at the start of the year and we usually have many new parts. That is also why Calipari like the tournaments like Maui.

Reactions: StubbornPenny
This will not be popular here, but I would 100 percent take bronny on Kentucky. He is a good catch and shoot guy, he defends well and he plays really hard, and he has a lot of potential. He will be a good get wherever he goes
I don't know if Bronny is someone UK should take or not, but I don't believe the decision should be made based on his play last night. He shot well above his 3 point shooting average and there was very little defense given to him last night. All of his shots were wide open looks which he won't see as a UK player.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I can assure his father has nothing to do with my position. My position is that other than hitting wide open 3s, I didn't see anything else that was remarkable about his play. Kentucky has enough marginal players riding the bench causing problems within the fanbase.

I don't know if Bronny is someone UK should take or not, but I don't believe the decision should be made based on his play last night. He shot well above his 3 point shooting average and there was very little defense given to him last night. All of his shots were wide open looks which he won't see as a UK player.
I’ve watched some of his games at sierra canyon. Bronny is a good catch and shoot guy and will play hard and hustle I would take him at Kentucky. He is probably going to USC or Oregon

I’ve watched some of his games at sierra canyon. Bronny is a good catch and shoot guy and will play hard and hustle I would take him at Kentucky. He is probably going to USC or Oregon
There was very little defense played in that game. There was nothing that could really be used to evaluate his play. Again, he will not get those kinds of open looks at UK. Also, I am sure that there are countless players with his skill set who were not given the same chance because their fathers isn't Lebron.

There was very little defense played in that game. There was nothing that could really be used to evaluate his play. Again, he will not get those kinds of open looks at UK. Also, I am sure that there are countless players with his skill set who were not given the same chance because their fathers isn't Lebron.
I’m not using the game form last night, I’m going based off his sierra canyon film and games. Bronny is a good player and will help wherever he ends up at

I’m not using the game form last night, I’m going based off his sierra canyon film and games. Bronny is a good player and will help wherever he ends up at
If his last name wasn't James, would you feel the same way? Why hasn't he already selected a college? Is there something special that he wants? We don't need that. UK has enough issues without bringing on additional ones.

Again, I think he stays west coast, but can someone breakdown this "media circus" talking point that keeps being repeated? I keep seeing those two words but no one will tell us what they're afraid of exactly. Same with the talking point of "he's not worth the trouble." What trouble exactly?

Again, I think he stays west coast, but can someone breakdown this "media circus" talking point that keeps being repeated? I keep seeing those two words but no one will tell us what they're afraid of exactly. Same with the talking point of "he's not worth the trouble." What trouble exactly?

I think everyone just assumes since he's Lebron's kid that there will be some sort of media circus around the kid the entire time he's in college.

I think it's a bit overblown.
Not that it really matters all that much. I don't believe we are considering him nor he considering us lol.

Let me guess, you’re not a big Lebron fan? So you already have a preconceived notion about him being overbearing even though actual reality is quite the oppposite.
You comparing Kentucky to a private prep and boarding high school? Are millions of eyes on their game there, like it would be at Kentucky? And this isn't just about LeBron. Bronny is going to come with a lot of built in attention. Will Bronny's more than likely ridiculous NIL deals, and camera time sit well with other players? You don't think if he came here Cal wouldn't guarantee LeBron that he would get a certain amount of playing time? And that has nothing to do with LeBron necessary being pushy, but because of who he is he will have other options where schools will guarantee playing time, etc. And even if Lebron doesn't question how Bronny is being used, the hundreds of talking heads with cameras will ask him about his son at Kentucky a lot. I get it, many think he could help our team and that the added extra limelight might make Kentucky the "it" place for recruits again. But it can just as easily have the exact opposite effect if it goes south.

You comparing Kentucky to a private prep and boarding high school? Are millions of eyes on their game there, like it would be at Kentucky? And this isn't just about LeBron. Bronny is going to come with a lot of built in attention. Will Bronny's more than likely ridiculous NIL deals, and camera time sit well with other players? You don't think if he came here Cal wouldn't guarantee LeBron that he would get a certain amount of playing time? And that has nothing to do with LeBron necessary being pushy, but because of who he is he will have other options where schools will guarantee playing time, etc. And even if Lebron doesn't question how Bronny is being used, the hundreds of talking heads with cameras will ask him about his son at Kentucky a lot. I get it, many think he could help our team and that the added extra limelight might make Kentucky the "it" place for recruits again. But it can just as easily have the exact opposite effect if it goes south.
I agree with you. Also, I want to know why at this point he hasn't already selected a team. Could it be that others share your concerns? Kentucky has enough past issues with players getting playing time for reasons other than on-court performance. The last thing UK needs is to bring on another. Some suggested that maybe some players weren't pleased with Oscar's NIL. Well, if they weren't pleased with Oscar's NIL, they will certainly not be pleased with Bronny. He is already getting about $7.2 mil.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT