ADVERTISEMENT

I think we lose Knox and thats it.

Calsarmy

Sophomore
Jul 24, 2013
Cal is a good recruiter. Now is the time he needs to recruit his own team and have them all back. Truthfully Know isnt ready by a long shot and the rest are miles behind that.

Most of these guys should be Juniors and Seniors at UK. They just are not that good as individual players or as a team. A few years together and these kids will be tough with a few pieces here and there.

SGA and Diallo are possible. I'm not sure on Diallo though. He does seem to want to leave no matter what but I don't see hiim being drafted at this point. SGA would likely be late first early second though.

If you were Vanderbilt or SGA, would you turn down first round NBA money to come back to college?

Also, if you are SKJ, why the hell should you NOT transfer?

Vanderbilt is gone If he gets a first rd guarantee. Shai is gone if he’s top 20 pick imo maybe even first rd.
Diallo might be forced to come back
Knox gone

Cal is a good recruiter. Now is the time he needs to recruit his own team and have them all back. Truthfully Know isnt ready by a long shot and the rest are miles behind that.

Most of these guys should be Juniors and Seniors at UK. They just are not that good as individual players or as a team. A few years together and these kids will be tough with a few pieces here and there.

Our Bigs now however bad they are will be our Bigs next year...YES they need to stay 2-3 years!!

We could lose up to 7. Should we? No.

These decisions are not made based on logic. You have kids that are convinced they can draw to an inside straight. You have teams that draft based on potential alone. You have parents, agents and former coaches desperate to grab the golden ring.

We should lose no more than 1 or 2, I won’t blink an eye at up to 7.

Most of these players are that interested in college ball; just punching a ticket and eager to get a big paycheck. I doubt many return, so next year looks scary. Duke is going to abuse us, unless Cal pulls a rabbit out of a hat.

Knox is gone. SGA is gone.

Diallo wants to be gone, but I'll be surprised if he goes--how can he be a 1st rounder after this year?
And with the struggles he has--why would he think he can succeed at a higher level?

Vanderbilt is the 3rd player I would think could potentially go pro--unlikely at this moment in my opinion but we'll see after the tourney.

We could lose up to 7. Should we? No.

These decisions are not made based on logic. You have kids that are convinced they can draw to an inside straight. You have teams that draft based on potential alone. You have parents, agents and former coaches desperate to grab the golden ring.

We should lose no more than 1 or 2, I won’t blink an eye at up to 7.
We won’t lose anywhere near 7. I’d wager money on that.

SKJ shouldn't transfer. Why? 2 fold. Because he knew coming in he wasn't a 1-2 player and his stats have slightly improved. He's getting better. He's a 2 more year project who has a chance to be something by the time he leaves here.

He's had to ride the bench all year watching a guy he's clearly better than (Richards) take all his minutes. I wouldn't blame him if he transferred.

Usually I'm all for players coming back, and I would agree that the best talent Cal could hope to haul in for next year is already on the team. However, Pretty clear these guys checked out and are going through the motions. They might not have ever checked in to be honest, unfortunately that seems to be an increasing trend in this era of OAD. Kids are coming in knowing or at least thinking they're gonna get paid in 9 months, UK basketball has become nothing more than a very temporary pro camp.

So, even though I would love to have the talent and experience next year, if these kids don't want to be here and have their hearts/minds somewhere else, then I'm not sure how much better next year would be.

I don't care how much talent you have, if you are not all in with the situation in terms of school/program/lexington and fellow teammates then it's not going to work.

Reactions: why_not_kentucky
i think we lose Knox and thats it. Cal is a good recruiter. Now is the time he needs to recruit his own team and have them all back. Truthfully Know isnt ready by a long shot and the rest are miles behind that.

Knox and SGA are still lottery picks in most mock drafts. Both are gone, and we will also lose 1-2 other players by various means.

Diallo won’t return.
I know this sounds crazy but I wouldn’t mind to see him leave. I think he seems like a good kid but he constantly takes bad shots and loses his guy on defense. Not in good defensive position.. etc. I would rather not have Diallo blocking the way for Herro or quickly. Unless of course he makes huge adjustments

Knox is gone. SGA is gone.

Diallo wants to be gone, but I'll be surprised if he goes--how can he be a 1st rounder after this year?
And with the struggles he has--why would he think he can succeed at a higher level?

Vanderbilt is the 3rd player I would think could potentially go pro--unlikely at this moment in my opinion but we'll see after the tourney.
This is probably the most realistic scenario.

SKJ shouldn't transfer. Why? 2 fold. Because he knew coming in he wasn't a 1-2 player and his stats have slightly improved. He's getting better. He's a 2 more year project who has a chance to be something by the time he leaves here.
I tend to agree with you. It’s not this year but I think he could help us one day. I really wish Cal would have redshirted him last year.

Trueblue is right let all seven go don't play like WILDCATS: no heart don't care at all about UK.

I’d be shocked if SGA, Knox, Diallo, Vanderbilt and SKJ aren’t all gone at this point. I’d say 50/50 on Richards and Gabriel.

Reactions: Tannerdad
Why do we do this every freaking year. Knox, Diallo, Vanderbilt, and SGA are locks to leave. They are recruited to UK to leave for the NBA. If we are lucky we will get Richards, Green, Gabriel, and Washington back. That is best case scenario. I would be thrilled if those 4 were all here next year. It's been nine years. We know how this works and I'm fine with it. Go Cats!!

Reactions: Arod15
Knox and SGA, gone. Diallo and JV, possible, SKJ possible transfer. So, I'd say 2-5.
Diallo would probably rather play in the G league than at UK. Can't see Vanderbilt being drafted unless he develops some kind of outside shot but he'll probably go as well.

Knox is probably a lotto pick, he should go. SGA is a fringe 1st rounder, he's the kind of guy other programs get back for at least a 2nd year, we need him if we want to be great. I'd expect Diallo to leave because he wants to and we could run a 3 guard lineup with Green/SGA/Quick/Baker/Herro rotating. Vandy/PJ/Gabriel/Richards/SKJ up front and that is top 5 on paper. SGA is the key though.

Lose 5 minimum for different reasons, NBA, transfer,etc, could be 7, and then we get to live thru another year like this year again next year.

There is less chance Vanderbilt comes back than SGA. He has people calling the shots. Guys with people behind the scenes do not come back.
I agree with you and there's a lot of truth to the "behind the scenes people". I just don't understand how someone that can't shoot can even think of leaving for the NBA.

Reactions: robman181

I think you're wrong. If you had said that Knox is the only sure fire first rounder on the team, you'd had more of a case. But some of these guys are here to play one year and let the chips fall where they may.

Knox, Alexander, Vanderbilt and Diallo are for sure going to try IMO. Washington, Gabriel and Richards want to but probably have to come back at this point unless they want to risk not getting drafted.

I expect 3 guys definitely gone - Alexander, Knox and Vando. But would not be surprise to see 5-6 leave. It's the "player's first or get recruited over" mentality.

If Cals model is what we are seeing today, and recruiting remains utterly stagnant as it has been for some years now,

Then what you see today, is in fact Kentucky Basketball going forward. Im sure its fine for some, but we are not the Gold Standard in college basketball.

Cal gets stuck not only on players but coaches. Diallo and Richards are GLARING examples. Recruiting says all you need to know,about our assistant coachs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT