ADVERTISEMENT

I have a very bad feeling we’re about to enter a BBN civil war.

I’ve seen a LOT of rhetoric today about no one else is qualified to coach Kentucky but Cal. And that we’re nothing without him.

I’ve been a part of this fan base through good times and bad. I’ve never seen it this damn hell bent on kamikazing our history. Makes me want to just stop being a fan to be honest.

This is what Cal has done. Screw him.
I got told that I was not a real fan and to go cheer for another team if I don’t support Calipari

It’s sad really

Regardless of your feelings on Calipari, everything points to him returning at this point. So fans 100% set on termination are going to have a choice to make,

• Haha
Reactions: KTBFFH92
I hate to say it, because I don't think he's THAT bad, but maybe his charity work has just the politician in him buying support. Maybe that's the lonely support people are seeing. Could have nothing to do with basketball. Just a theory.

I hate to say it, because I don't think he's THAT bad, but maybe his charity work has just the politician in him buying support. Maybe that's the lonely support people are seeing. Could have nothing to do with basketball. Just a theory.
Yes, but pointing this out here would get you you crucified by the virtue signallers.

I’ve seen a LOT of rhetoric today about no one else is qualified to coach Kentucky but Cal. And that we’re nothing without him.

I’ve been a part of this fan base through good times and bad. I’ve never seen it this damn hell bent on kamikazing our history. Makes me want to just stop being a fan to be honest.

These are the same people that said the same thing when Tubby left. Did they have insight to Mitch’s bonehead Gillespie hire? But clearly programs move on, Cal’s not the first coach to win at Kentucky!

Reactions: bbncal02

Mostly women and teen/young adults. They don't know squat. Fire him already and get on with it.

Matt Jones is like guy starting riot on the radio. He started all of this crap.

If Calipari returns, the next year will be a lot like Tubby in 2007. Pressure and discontent could make it hard to watch. All comes down to wins and losses though. Beating Duke early in season would be huge.
Tubby in 2007 beat none other than Jay Wright in the tournament that year.

Reactions: KAB Cats

What the hell is wrong with these people? Are they seriously ok with these last few years? Buncha numbnuts…

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
If it's a civil war, it's one of the lamest "wars" imaginable but it's something Louisville fans just went through. There were still a few who wanted KP to have a third year. BBN is emotionally drained and we need a fresh start, that much is clear. I'd rather stand on the sideline of this "war" though. We've got some who may be younger who have only known success under Cal who I guess believe we'll be in worse shape if he leaves and the other side just types COW COW COW CCC CCC CCC all the damn time and calls people idiots and morons online. We've had tons of success previous to Cal so we'll obviously be fine without him and I tend to not use lame insults and call people names online so yeah, I'll just stand on the hill above the "battlefield" and watch the children scream at each other.

• Love
Not a civil war at all. 95% of fans want Cal gone.
It's only the administration and a small band of trolls and half-wits who don't understand that Kentucky basketball was great LONGGGGGGGGG before Cal and will be LONGGGGGGGGG after he is gone.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
I got told that I was not a real fan and to go cheer for another team if I don’t support Calipari

It’s sad really
Support is a loaded word. For me, I support Cal the way I support the pilot of the plane im
Flying in. At the end of the day I want the plane to land safely. We can sort out the quality of the flight once we are in the hangar. Then we decide if we need to change pilots before the next flight. But while that bird was in the air he had my full support, because afterall, what other choice did we have?

That said, support and satisfaction isn’t the same thing.

For those that were I. This board during the Tubby finales was it seemingly this ugly then too?
No, not nearly the same ! And the reason is, I'm sure, that Tubby was not a delusional egomaniac. He didn't throw the players under the bus, and for the most part didn't try to make excuses when the program had unquestionably eroded. Tubby simply found another job at Minnesota, and left without significant fanfare ... and was a gracious gentleman about it all the way. At least, that's my recollection ... and I was certainly among those who who posted frequently on RR and had said that it was time for Tubby to go.

Reactions: kartmd
Support is a loaded word. For me, I support Cal the way I support the pilot of the plane im
Flying in. At the end of the day I want the plane to land safely. We can sort out the quality of the flight once we are in the hangar. Then we decide if we need to change pilots before the next flight. But while that bird was in the air he had my full support, because afterall, what other choice did we have?

That said, support and satisfaction isn’t the same thing.
The plane just had a crash landing. The pilot attempted an experimental landing. Fortunately the passengers did survive, but everyone is banged up. Some have broken bones. The plane is beyond repair. The pilot is bragging that he nearly completed a barrel roll landing and no one died. He’s mocking the passengers for complaining about their injuries.
I don’t think I want him working for an airline that I’m affiliated with anymore.

The way I see it, if there IS a civil war going on amongst UK basketball fans, like there has been for about 3-4 years, like many have said, as long as people just use their words and don't try to actually take up arms against their fellow fan, it's not a huge problem. This is, after all, a discussion board. If something like, "yer stupid" is gonna run a feller off, then they probably shouldn'ta been here in the first place. Aye? Was that said with an accent? I'll never tell. LOL

The way I see it, if there IS a civil war going on amongst UK basketball fans, like there has been for about 3-4 years, like many have said, as long as people just use their words and don't try to actually take up arms against their fellow fan, it's not a huge problem. This is, after all, a discussion board. If something like, "yer stupid" is gonna run a feller off, then they probably shouldn'ta been here in the first place. Aye? Was that said with an accent? I'll never tell. LOL
I heard it
Scottish yes?

• Haha
Reactions: Shadow1671
I want Cal gone. I wish he would leave on his own; if not, I hope there is the administrative will to buy him out and make him leave. I have felt this way for some time now. Some have arrived at this conclusion later than some, myself included, but I just don't see a statistically significant contingent of the fan base demanding that Cal return at this point in time

However, as far as this "civil war" stuff goes, I have detected on this site for a while now that people who are not "Cal defenders" are many times unfairly boxed into that group.

Because someone thinks that before you fire Cal or anyone, a carefully-considered plan must be in place and are skeptical about replacing Cal with a coach just because that coach is on a current winning streak (there is more than one way to end up where Indiana is now, and firing someone out of anger and making a careless decision on a replacement can get you there as well) does not make someone a Cal "nuthugger."

Because someone thinks that the Cal era should come to an end, but disagree that the man has no integrity or is simply a bad person - or does not approve of the mocking of his family or his sick dog - does not make someone a Cal sunshine pumper.

Because someone who is disappointed if Cal is the coach next year will nonetheless support our team, get excited and / or hopeful when there is positive news or a good game, and hope that Cal can figure it out or simply luck his way into a post-season run rather than refusing to support our program or go over every syllable of every word that Cal says in an effort to arrive at a preordained conclusion that Cal is the devil - that does not make that person a Cal defender.

I often hear the criticism, sometimes delivered in a very hostile manner, that Cal defenders put their love of him before the university. But what I observe much more often is "if you don't hate Cal as much as I do or precisely the way I do" or "if you don't agree that any coach who is currently on a good run is a good replacement" or "if you won't make it personal against Cal" or "if you won't boycott Rupp, put a sign in the man's yard, use your own $ to help fund a billboard, or pull your support of the program" - then you are a Cal lover.

In my view, those people are the ones that are guilty of putting their hate of one individual over their loyalty to BBN and those are the individuals who are inciting the "civil war" they complain about.

I know the internet is most always a terrible place, but please do not mistake decency, civility, and a measure of reason instead of being reactionary with torches and pitchforks as the type of conduct that encourages a "civil war" in the BBN.

I appreciate all of the years that Calipari has given to the university as the coach. His servant leader concept is beneficial to those players and the service they have done in the community was set out and planned by the coaches. Good for them.

Let’s face it. John Calipari has been quite successful at UK - up until about 5-6 years ago. My contention is simply that he is more interested in getting his players drafted than winning games, tournaments or maintaining a high standard of bb excellence at the university of Kentucky. That is why I am in favor of him being replaced. As long as he was winning, the priority of getting players drafted didn’t interfere with the goal of winning games. A lack of attention to actual in game coaching and game preparation is now a glaring issue and that is why I can no longer support him as coach.

I wish he and his family the best and hope and pray that this conflict can be resolved with good will and integrity on both sides. Warring with each other does no good toward the objective of the firing and hiring process. We are united in that we all want what is best for the UK basketball program and hopefully, the administration wants that as well. Jm2cents

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT