ADVERTISEMENT

I gotta get this off my conscience

We are humans, most of us. We make mistakes, that's how we learn, so they say, though I'm slow on that particular uptake.

I missed on a few. I had Donovan in town when he wasn't. My biggest mistake. Bad info from, would you believe, a LEX cop?

Missed on Wall. Said he would not decide tonight. I go to bed. Next day, when I wake up, he's a Cat.

Hit on Parker, even Maggard got beat.

Knew about Wiggins indecision though I was banned from HOB for knowing.

Doesn't matter. All the same team.

So many stories.....Alex Legion.....Desmond Allison.....Tayshaun Prince......lots more. Doesn't matter when the day is done. We, the collective we, meaning the folks that really count in the athletic department, are smart people. Always gonna be a winner. It's UK. That's what we do.

There is so much more to say about that. Way more. But it's ancient and water over the dam. Pitino had a lot more to say about Tubby's third year at UK than even Ivey or Newton could bring to sway. Bottom line. Rick would only come back if Tubby, who desperately wanted out, would get a full buyout. The UK trust said no way, so Tubby stayed, Rick to UL. Tubby was so unhappy.
Damn crazy UK would pass on Pitino and Crazy Tubby was so unhappy just to stay so many more years. No wondering recruiting went down hill if he hated it year 3 two years removed from a NC

We are humans, most of us. We make mistakes, that's how we learn, so they say, though I'm slow on that particular uptake.

I missed on a few. I had Donovan in town when he wasn't. My biggest mistake. Bad info from, would you believe, a LEX cop?

Missed on Wall. Said he would not decide tonight. I go to bed. Next day, when I wake up, he's a Cat.

Hit on Parker, even Maggard got beat.

Knew about Wiggins indecision though I was banned from HOB for knowing.

Doesn't matter. All the same team.

So many stories.....Alex Legion.....Desmond Allison.....Tayshaun Prince......lots more. Doesn't matter when the day is done. We, the collective we, meaning the folks that really count in the athletic department, are smart people. Always gonna be a winner. It's UK. That's what we do.
Would love to hear any stories you would like to serve up! Can learn a lot about the old state of UK bball some of us youngins dont have any inside info on

Dave, I once saved one of your post from back in 2008. You had a number of "scoops" in that post and I saved it for that reason. One of the best "scoops" was the one I quoted below:

"Fourth, a big man recruit is more than likely coming from the JUCO ranks. At this point, it looks like Josh Harrelson is the most likely candidate. But there are at least four others that could possibly be considered. Right now, I would say Harrelson, subject to change."

In your defense DK didn't John Wall news that night not come out until at or after midnight. Can't really call that a miss. If I am remembering correctly.

Dave, its may not have been a glory road we went down but remembering how exciting it was when the first internet sites came on talking UK sports was something. With Mel, WCF, Brian Poe, BBN, and some of the other oldies were fresh it was like we all went to Wildcat heaven. And you were there in the beginning, good job Dave.

Reactions: brianpoe
Dave, always loved reading your posts over the years. I've been on this site since about 04, so I wasn't part of the true original wave of UK basketball on the internet but I've been here a while.

Your post made me think of a question that's kind of been bubbling up for a while now. I'll ask you directly but I'd be interested in others' opinions, too.

How has the internet affected your love of UK basketball? Has it made your fandom more or less enjoyable?

I know that you being an insider for many years probably gives you a different take than the everyday fan,
but would love to hear your thoughts.

Kersey posted a lot back in the days when the recruiting board was almost as popular as Rafters.

proud to call you friend, @davekersey
I'm with the others - info or not, hope you post here more often just because you're a great UK fan, with excellent insight. We definitely need more like you on this board

Reactions: treyforuk and ib4ky
Thanks Dave, always enjoyed your posts and thanks for the memories, don't quit posting, your brother in blue[thumb2]

There is so much more to say about that. Way more. But it's ancient and water over the dam. Pitino had a lot more to say about Tubby's third year at UK than even Ivey or Newton could bring to sway. Bottom line. Rick would only come back if Tubby, who desperately wanted out, would get a full buyout. The UK trust said no way, so Tubby stayed, Rick to UL. Tubby was so unhappy.
That is a stunning bit of info...something I've never ever heard. It almost makes me rethink my spite for anything Rick Pitino. Almost...

Never knew he was that unhappy! I guess the stress of the job was too much! Guess that's why he constantly looked at other jobs. Regardless, he won a title and had a great run here.

This doesn't go back to 03 but it does go back to 06 and discusses how much Tubby wanted out of Kentucky.

http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/forums/showthread.php?24433-Rumor-Tubby-wants-out

Great thread after the article.

Donavan not ready yet - this is Feb 2006, BD would win his first of back to back titles a couple months later.

Be hard to pull Bruce Pearl from Tennessee.

Guarantee it would be Pelphey.

Couple folks pushing for Rex Chapman.

Pitino is too old for another rebuild (10 years ago!)

One guy mentioned Calipari.

If I recall Gerald Fitch went on to have some really big years in Euro leagues. I think he did well for himself. Thanks Gerald and Dave!

Wow, this one is interesting. Thanks for sharing Dave.

Always enjoyed your posts over the years DK. Fitch is one of my all time favorite Cats. If he had a descent look it was money most of the time.

Just one more thing relative to Fitch. He will tell ya. Ain't nothin like money. That's what the family talks about. Big time. So when they have a Duke or UK discussion, it's a toss up. But in most cases, the academics are secondary, it's about the fit for the kid and comfort with the coaches, Yes, coaches, very important. Payne is very important. Glad he stayed.

Dave i made a post on the national board telling them that KP is one of the very best big man coaches in CBB

Great stories, DaveDave, and great advice. I've followed your posts for many years and always valued your info, more than other so called people with sources. Thanks for posting your advice on dealing with recruits and their decisions. I hope many of the negative posters read and follow what you say. However, I feel many of those are younger more immature posters who only care about the here and now and don't think the whole thing throughthrough. Also, we do have the trolls pretending to be UK fans while just attempting to make our fanbase look bad. Hope we continue to see you posting on here.

He loves us, Gerald does, even though he knows there's some old fish in the garbage. He really does, and appreciates US. I'd say most UK guys that depart love US. Sometimes we need to be careful with our words. They do pay attention. I suppose you guys know that things got so bad with Tubby that he desperately feared for his family. There were death threats. That's the bad fish among us. Probably won't change. Happens everywhere, not only here. Earthlings are a warring people.
Extra terrestrials are warring beings as well. That's why I came here. :alien:

Dave, its may not have been a glory road we went down but remembering how exciting it was when the first internet sites came on talking UK sports was something. With Mel, WCF, Brian Poe, BBN, and some of the other oldies were fresh it was like we all went to Wildcat heaven. And you were there in the beginning, good job Dave.

True, I've been off and on this board over the years. Never posted much, but enjoyed reading especially recruiting season, coaching searches (the door) and of course during basketball season. This board has had some fantastic posters. Dave Kersey is one of those guys, along with a few good ones you just mentioned Poetax. Rafters had been visited by thousands of insiders, writers, players and even head coaches. It's the best site in all college bball!!!

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Great thread after the article.

Donavan not ready yet - this is Feb 2006, BD would win his first of back to back titles a couple months later.

Be hard to pull Bruce Pearl from Tennessee.

Guarantee it would be Pelphey.

Couple folks pushing for Rex Chapman.

Pitino is too old for another rebuild (10 years ago!)

One guy mentioned Calipari.
Yep, funny thread. Some very authoritative, take it to the bank kind of statements there. What is it about message boards that make people talk that way?

From WBBP, whomever that was:
"Donovan will take the Kentucky job if offered. Write it down.
Taking all bets on Donovan if Tubby Announces.
Boys, you never know, a deal could already be in the works...........
wink.png

Keep your eyes and ears open......
rolleyes.png
"

there are other examples.....

Reactions: brianpoe
Dave, time for you to get that book out about the Tubby years. Or at least a blog.....

That Fitch story has to be so typical Tubby recruiting.....someone finding a recruit for him.

That Pitino story is incredible to think that Rick would come back even if UK made the decision to fully fund his departure. I don't think UK was unhappy enough with Tubby at the time. Tubby didn't sound like he was eager to walk away from his 'dream' job.

I was a huge Tubby fan for many years, but we all saw how his recruiting fell off. I am grateful for him getting Meeks and Patterson, but other than the Rondo class, he really didn't bring in a bunch of guys who were eager to come in as a unit.

I have no inside info. I do however know that my daughter's BF (they are in school together at Harding in Searcy, AR) has strong ties to the Dallas area and the folks he knows feel like it's UK. I don't know how legit that is but it's something positive.

Dave, time for you to get that book out about the Tubby years. Or at least a blog.....

That Fitch story has to be so typical Tubby recruiting.....someone finding a recruit for him.

That Pitino story is incredible to think that Rick would come back even if UK made the decision to fully fund his departure. I don't think UK was unhappy enough with Tubby at the time. Tubby didn't sound like he was eager to walk away from his 'dream' job.

I was a huge Tubby fan for many years, but we all saw how his recruiting fell off. I am grateful for him getting Meeks and Patterson, but other than the Rondo class, he really didn't bring in a bunch of guys who were eager to come in as a unit.

The Pattersons stated billy Gillispie came into their living room and had Pats whole college career laid out and blew them away. Gillispie is responsible for Patt

You have forgotten more about UK recruiting than most will ever know Thanks for all you've given over the years!

one of few inside stories I've ever had knowledge about didn't work out. Jarnell stokes and family were set on UK. thing was UK couldn't bring him in mid semester like they were wanting. Staff tried to convince him to come on innamd play the next season but they wanted to play immediately

I hate posting any info because you get bashed either way. I always hated the "premium info" things back in the day and the ones that got mad if it leaked. This day and age of social media information is at your fingertips. I knew Brad was coming to UK last spring and that Ellen was the main driver behind it. It fell on deaf ears and people either blew it off or criticized it.

^^Hell I remember being told by Skals AAU(even named him)coach and one of his slimy handlers that he wasn't ready for college ball, and would struggle at UK. They didn't care because Cal's rep would get him a pick. This is why they kept him out of Memphis.

I never thought I'd live down posting that.

As far as Bolden and where he will go? No idea, but I like our chances.

Here's another thing that rubs me. SO much anticipation, which often leads to chaotic exchanges by UK fans, is so unnecessary. When a kid does finally commit, he is forgotten, as in NEXT. That is a hurtful thing to the kids.

Love me, then leave me. They see it and feel it. Guys, give the kids some room. They anguish in their rooms at home. Really, many do, and it hurts them to say NO to someone. It hurts when the kids says YES and then no more love. Gerald Fitch taught me that.

Dave, I understand your theme, but, I also saw a couple of players at the Fayette Mall, about a month or so ago. They were treated like rock stars. In fact, I felt sorry for them, that they could not walk down the mall corridors without being pursued for autographs and pictures. So, while I agree that we need to continue to show them love, after the courtship of recruiting, I think that in some form, it is good for them to get back to being normal kids again, since they are going to have to adjust to college classwork, as well as playing basketball at a higher level. Good to see you are doing well. I'm sure you have a cold Shasta in the fridge. Take care.

Dave, I understand your theme, but, I also saw a couple of players at the Fayette Mall, about a month or so ago. They were treated like rock stars. In fact, I felt sorry for them, that they could not walk down the mall corridors without being pursued for autographs and pictures. So, while I agree that we need to continue to show them love, after the courtship of recruiting, I think that in some form, it is good for them to get back to being normal kids again, since they are going to have to adjust to college classwork, as well as playing basketball at a higher level. Good to see you are doing well. I'm sure you have a cold Shasta in the fridge. Take care.

Once you are 7 feet tall or shoot like Kobe, and commit to UK, you can forget "being a kid again". It's not in the cards life has dealt you.

Believe it or not they love that spotlight. When we are graphing at team hotels, they go out of their way to ignore sandy Bell and actually seek us out. Cal sells the rock star status to these recruits. UK is one of the only basketball school like that. It's all positives. Recruits go to Kansas(wiggins) if they don't a want it.

You right about the fans. I remember the whole team back in 99-00 was in Logan's Lexington. They could not enjoy their meal at all. You thought after they were seated it would stop or slow down but it got worse. People kept coming up to their table wanting an autograph. It has to be worse now with everyone and camera phones. Most phones didn't have it back then

Dave,
Thanks for posting. Anytime you feel the need for an "old" story, please type away. Very enjoyable. Enjoy the Florida days and sunsets. Naples is a beautiful place.

^^Hell I remember being told by Skals AAU(even named him)coach and one of his slimy handlers that he wasn't ready for college ball, and would struggle at UK. They didn't care because Cal's rep would get him a pick. This is why they kept him out of Memphis.

I never thought I'd live down posting that.
I had a rare connection that told me a week before he announced that Wiggins had decided against Kentucky . Shouldn't have posted it but I did , and posters were so angry they tried to run me off the board . And it's not like I was boasting or anything . I just said that's what I was hearing from someone that probably would know ( friends of his UL loving host family ) .

Reactions: kat57 and .S&C.
I had a rare connection that told me a week before he announced that Wiggins had decided against Kentucky . Shouldn't have posted it but I did , and posters were so angry they tried to run me off the board . And it's not like I was boasting or anything . I just said that's what I was hearing from someone that probably would know ( friends of his UL loving host family ) .
With all the guesses, and that's what they are just educated guesses, going on today somebody is bound to be right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT