ADVERTISEMENT

I dont understand all of the negativity at this point

Girthang

All-American
Dec 12, 2019
in the season.

No reason to focus on our shortcomings defensively. This team and program is what it is and will be under Cal. Try to enjoy what's left of these Wildcats the rest of their time here.

Cheer em on to the best of your ability as if they were your kids or grandkids, knowing that after Saturday their next game could be their last in the tourney. Nothing is going to change between now and then.

Accept it and make the best of it at this point.

They’re a couple of plays away from being a top five team and likely one seed. The LSU putback, and if they’d fouled against Florida at the end of reg. Certainly if we’d have beaten Wilmington . They have a chance to make a run in the postseason, no doubt. You can almost always say ‘what if this, and what if that’, but those things were easy and we just didn’t do them.

in the season.

No reason to focus on our shortcomings defensively. This team and program is what it is and will be under Cal. Try to enjoy what's left of these Wildcats the rest of their time here.

Cheer em on to the best of your ability as if they were your kids or grandkids, knowing that after Saturday their next game could be their last in the tourney. Nothing is going to change between now and then.

Accept it and make the best of it at this point.
Don’t be surprised if you get blasted.
Nice post though!

I truly believe there are people on this board that are upset this team is on a winning streak. Now whether they are true fans or a troll with too much time on their hands, that is up for debate,

I used to be pretty active on this forum but life is too short for all this negativity. If I want to hear a bunch of hens cackle I will just sit in on Darlene's card club next Monday night.

I truly believe there are people on this board that are upset this team is on a winning streak. Now whether they are true fans or a troll with too much time on their hands, that is up for debate,

I used to be pretty active on this forum but life is too short for all this negativity. If I want to hear a bunch of hens cackle I will just sit in on Darlene's card club next Monday night.

Good lord.

I have enjoyed how this team plays offensively, but our defense really takes the air out of our chances for a deep run. It's a weird feeling. It's hard to trust them in that sense. Didn't feel that way in 2012 or 2015. We were dominate through and through then. We have significant holes now.

Any remaining frustration at this point in the season is just from knowing that this team could have been so much better with the pieces we have. Focusing even mildly on defensive fundamentals could have dramatically elevated the ceiling on this season heading into the tournament.

This team is incredibly fun to watch. But like has been mentioned in previous posts, many fear that rockfight mulehead Cal will show up in tournament time and we'll lose a game that we should have won, i.e. have yet another promising season ripped away from us.

All that being said, I'm choosing to focus on the players and not the coach. Enjoy the ride.

That's my biggest concern..."if the shots aren't falling, how are we gonna win?". In years past, we played enough defense to grind out a W. I don't think this team can do it. My pessimistic side says we have a disappointing loss in the dance. My optimistic side says Final Four. Realistically, I think the odds are close to 50/50.

I love watching us score points. But I gave up on our defense improving a couple weeks ago. That ship has sailed.

Unfortunately that probably means we aren’t doing anything significant in the postseason.

I’ll still be there cheering them on but my expectations are still low. If people look at that as “negative” than so be it. To me it’s just being honest about the situation.

Any remaining frustration at this point in the season is just from knowing that this team could have been so much better with the pieces we have. Focusing even mildly on defensive fundamentals could have dramatically elevated the ceiling on this season heading into the tournament.

This team is incredibly fun to watch. But like has been mentioned in previous posts, many fear that rockfight mulehead Cal will show up in tournament time and we'll lose a game that we should have won, i.e. have yet another promising season ripped away from us.

All that being said, I'm choosing to focus on the players and not the coach. Enjoy the ride.
I think there was a focus on defense and limiting possessions after the A&M (going off of memory). We put up some clunkers against South Carolina, etc. Our defense never improved. Now, I think the focus is on scoring as many points as possible and outscore the opponent.

There are many fans that want us to play like this...up and down - no limiting possessions...a-holes to elbows. But, it makes me nervous for sure knowing we likely aren't going to get many kills.

All the Cal bashing is tiring. There are pages of posts about who the next coach should be after every loss. No other fan base does this.
It’s a bad look nationally and ultimately hurts the program.
IMO, it's not because of the fanbase. Yes, we're passionate and crazy, but many of us just see so many seemingly easy fixes or head scratching decisions from Cal. We are a basketball savvy bunch, and we see things that there is simply no excuse for. It's not just about wins and loses. Loses happen. It's the 'why' that drives us to bitchin and moaning.

It's hard to enjoy as much as I like when I know on any given night we have a decent chance of losing. I won't be surprised at all if we only get to see this team play 3 more games. That's sad. I like the team a lot, but the woeful coaching has really made them far less than they should have been. This team should have a decent shot at a championship. I'll remain hopeful they prove me wrong but it's hard to get excited at this point, and then next year they will all be gone.

I love watching us score points. But I gave up on our defense improving a couple weeks ago. That ship has sailed.

Unfortunately that probably means we aren’t doing anything significant in the postseason.

I’ll still be there cheering them on but my expectations are still low. If people look at that as “negative” than so be it. To me it’s just being honest about the situation.

This. The defense and calipari factor.

They absolutely are. Two of them openly hope we lose.

UK is on a winning streak. The CHC is on a losing streak.

The UConn fans here can’t stand it.

They listen to Cal’s shows just so they can get madder.

This is a good team that’s getting better.

We blew out Vandy and scored 93 points not even playing well.

Yes, we could have beaten Vandy worse by not starting the seniors and not playing Onyenso and Mitchell.

First was tradition and the second is they aren’t going to get better without playing so why not play them in a blowout?

The rotation will shorten as it needs to.

I don't understand not understanding this. The team is fun to watch. Most everyone is cheering for them and want them to go all the way. It's just disappointing to have this much talent and not see the coach doing everything he can to optimize it and win games.

It is, but the negativity isn't going to change it, so why do people dwell in it? You know full well that this team has to take Cal out of the equation to win it all, just as the 2012 team did. Giving them the extra boost now is better than dragging them down with their part time coach, isn't it?

What we have to accept-
-if we win it all, Cal will take all of the credit.
-if we don't go far, Cal will deflect the blame
-if we win it all, the program we love will get the trophy
-if we blow a lead and lose because of bad coaching decisions or lack thereof, we can all whine then, but in the meantime we've enjoyed this team and made the best of it
-worrying doesn't do anything good for anyone
-complaining isn't even going to get us cookies

I have no misunderstandings about the coaching. I just want to see these young men have a great finish to their season and post-season, and negativity isn't making any changed for the better.

Reactions: entropy13
Sometimes just a couple of things that players are not good at can break down a defense, it doesn’t mean that they haven’t been taught the fundamentals of defense. Cal has had teams that were top 10 defensively. For instance, if you lack lateral quickness in one or two spots, or if you’re reacting slow in the interior, you can break down an entire Defense. For instance, if a quick ball handler breaks shepherd down and gets in the lane, and then you have Ugo waiting for him, who’s slow to react, it just looks awful. It doesn’t mean that those players don’t know how to prevent that, it’s just that they could not.

You positive fairies who know the game so well please help me. Same thing every year!
No adjustments on D, No solid rotation in the line up, no rebounding, can’t keep a lead, and always reverting back to Cals stall ball when we got the lead. I seriously wonder if some you all know what a basketball is. Like did my mom make an account on here or something? It’s not negative to want to win like we should. Hands down with the talent and experience Cal has had this year we should be looking at 1 or 2 seed. It’s just so hard to have hope seeing the same pattern as the years before.

It is, but the negativity isn't going to change it, so why do people dwell in it? You know full well that this team has to take Cal out of the equation to win it all, just as the 2012 team did. Giving them the extra boost now is better than dragging them down with their part time coach, isn't it?

What we have to accept-
-if we win it all, Cal will take all of the credit.
-if we don't go far, Cal will deflect the blame
-if we win it all, the program we love will get the trophy
-if we blow a lead and lose because of bad coaching decisions or lack thereof, we can all whine then, but in the meantime we've enjoyed this team and made the best of it
-worrying doesn't do anything good for anyone
-complaining isn't even going to get us cookies

I have no misunderstandings about the coaching. I just want to see these young men have a great finish to their season and post-season, and negativity isn't making any changed for the better.
Did you have any negativity at all in the 9-16 season? And if so, did that change anything?

I think it comes from the frustration with Cal's decisions. And my negativity and frustration is because I know this team was/is very capable of some tournament magic, BUT Cal will be leading them. I have zero confidence in Cal.
That’s about where any of it lies. We haven’t been able to trust Cal to get us over the Elite 8 hump with good teams the past 7 years. We all know he can but we will be prepared each round, will we execute a defensive game plan. I believe we will score all that will be needed each game.

Did you have any negativity at all in the 9-16 season? And if so, did that change anything?

Lol! What?

Nothing anyone said here changed anything. Just as it didn't after Cal fumbled the trophy in 2015. Still won't. If he loses with this team, everyone knows it's on him except him and his worshippers, but it won't change anything.

If he wins, it won't change anything, except UK and this team will have a trophy. It will take a lot for them to overcome his leadership style, coaching, and the officiating no doubt, but this team is what it is now.

I'm OK with people choosing to dwell in negativity for the sake of negativity, though. Just trying to encourage them to make a better choice. Like I would encourage people not to listen back when Coach Smith said, "we're going to run the floor more" almost every year. Lol

Reactions: know1

Nobody is upset Kentucky is winning Jesus Christ man. People were upset at our coach for making the same mistakes for years and being too stubborn to change. A majority don’t like cal, we love the team and the players, and like that they are winning.

All the Cal bashing is tiring. There are pages of posts about who the next coach should be after every loss. No other fan base does this.
It’s a bad look nationally and ultimately hurts the program.
Louisville fans are literally deluding themselves into thinking they can get Scott drew or Billy donavon and have been for awhile.

Reactions: chroix
I have enjoyed how this team plays offensively, but our defense really takes the air out of our chances for a deep run. It's a weird feeling. It's hard to trust them in that sense. Didn't feel that way in 2012 or 2015. We were dominate through and through then. We have significant holes now.
Defense is my concern as well and it’s holding back my trust in them making a run. But Kentucky is Miami from last year, that’s what is giving me hope. The cats are better version of Miami and can do the same thing

Im just gonna enjoy the ride. I almost don’t care what happens in mail the big dance from here on out. Always glad to see us play as many games as possible but if we bow out early in the SECT it’s not gonna bother me much. Let’s get to some true neutral courts against unfamiliar competition and we’ll see what’s what.

Defense is my concern as well and it’s holding back my trust in them making a run. But Kentucky is Miami from last year, that’s what is giving me hope. The cats are better version of Miami and can do the same thing

I’d pay money to hear someone from Miami dispute this.

The only issue with Miami is that that is an exception to the rule. We have better talent for sure, but we don't have a huge margin for messing up as one-sided as we are. Here's to hoping.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
The only issue with Miami is that that is an exception to the rule. We have better talent for sure, but we don't have a huge margin for messing up as one-sided as we are. Here's to hoping.
Yeah Miami had omeir who last year is better than any big we have right now, but our guard play is a lot better than Miami’s was. Heres to hoping dillingham goes nuclear in March

Last edited:
This team has been fun to watch but still frustrating/pathetic that we can't even sniff a 1 seed with this much talent. Get to a Final Four and all is good tho.

Reactions: Mike-D and dcw62
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT