ADVERTISEMENT

I don't like this. Sharpe considering joining UK for the second semester

Are we sure he's draft eligible in June of 2022?

He has to be 19--check. He has to be 1 year removed from high school graduation--which hasn't happened as of June 2021.

So he wouldn't be draft eligible based on that.
People are jumping off the bridge for no reason because of this tidbit. It is the same posters day after day who love to wallow in the negative without actually stopping to think it through all the way....

Well first off, nobody is bashing Cal on this, second of all, this is a message board and third, you're right, Cal is definiteltly not perfect.

What is factual though, is Cal is obsessed with getting kids drafted, so if there was a way to bring Sharpe in to get him drafted right away, he would do it and gladly take the heat.

But I don't understand why you quoted my "punch a baby in the nose" post and responded with "Cal isn't perfect" and "this is unbelievably stupid that people are bashing Cal on this". Did you quote the wrong post?

You didn’t even like the post where the guy that’s an NCAA attorney said that Sharpe wouldn’t be leaving after a semester per NCAA rules. 😂

Reactions: jace2012
He’s been attending high school in the US. Per the CBA, he’s no longer considered an International Player and is not eligible for the draft until after one full season has passed since he graduated.
Hell yea! Him playing for us after getting used to the system and being in the program would be awesome

Reactions: chroix
You didn’t even like the post where the guy that’s an NCAA attorney said that Sharpe wouldn’t be leaving after a semester per NCAA rules. 😂
Yeah, there's about 100 other posts in this thread that I didn’t LIKE either.
Did you see my very first post in this thread where I literally said I'm going to trust that Sharpe is coming here early to prepare and play???
I didn’t know it was a requirement to like posts by UKinCincy's posts, did I miss something?

Not gonna read article

so he comes, doesn’t play in any games, practices with team and then bolts?

or am I just pessimistic
Well, yes, you're being pessimistic, but we've seen a similar situation before, so you're not a nut.

So, if I'm being an optimist, I would say this is a big positive for both Sharpe and the 2022-23 team. He comes in, gets acclimated to college life, gets to know the coaching staff, improves his game practicing with this year's team, maybe even gets to see and understand what road games in the SEC look like, and becomes an even better player for next year's team. But you've mentioned the downside to the deal, which is that he could decide to bolt for the NBA before he ever puts a UK jersey on.

I will say, I think the NIL rules may help a situation like this. I'm not sure what Sharpe's financial situation is like or what his family's situation is, but being able to make money for himself could keep him here longer. (and yes, I know it's chump change compared to what he could make in the NBA) That could keep players who come from humble means around a bit longer.

Why would you trust?

Because this is the same coach who stays away from the DeAndre Aytons of the world in the recruiting game. Criticize him all you want for last year and the model he’s built. He deserves some of the flack. I just think he would know ahead of time if Sharpe was planning on using UK for a pro training facility prior to flying the coup without playing a single game. It would be a bad look for the program, and for Calipari.

This shit gets crazier by the day college basketball is losing it. If he comes and just practices for the rest of the year and plays all of 22-23 then fine. If he comes and practices the 2nd semester and bolts after the year I think I’m about done with college basketball!

Yep , I'm about done with college hoops , they have killed the goose that laid the golden egg. This system will fail.

Well, yes, you're being pessimistic, but we've seen a similar situation before, so you're not a nut.

So, if I'm being an optimist, I would say this is a big positive for both Sharpe and the 2022-23 team. He comes in, gets acclimated to college life, gets to know the coaching staff, improves his game practicing with this year's team, maybe even gets to see and understand what road games in the SEC look like, and becomes an even better player for next year's team. But you've mentioned the downside to the deal, which is that he could decide to bolt for the NBA before he ever puts a UK jersey on.

I will say, I think the NIL rules may help a situation like this. I'm not sure what Sharpe's financial situation is like or what his family's situation is, but being able to make money for himself could keep him here longer. (and yes, I know it's chump change compared to what he could make in the NBA) That could keep players who come from humble means around a bit longer.
Be sure to LIKE UKinCincy's posts, apparently it's a requirement.

I know, I know, I'm just finding this out now too. I hate it when I'm left off company emails.

Well first off, nobody is bashing Cal on this

Yeah, nobody is bashing Cal. Just whining that "Cal is allowing kids to use UK like toilet paper," in response to speculation about something that looks like it isn't even possible (I don't think Sharpe is actually eligible for the '22 draft).

Reactions: Fox2monk
This actually isn't very good news...he would be a year removed from HS so could just enter draft, and spend his time and UK training and prepping for draft. Legit could happen.

Yeah, nobody is bashing Cal. Just whining that "Cal is allowing kids to use UK like toilet paper," in response to speculation about something that looks like it isn't even possible (I don't think Sharpe is actually eligible for the '22 draft).
Why are you twisting what was said? You're making it seem like I said Cal is letting kids use UK like TP, that’s not what was said. If you're going to trash someone for what was said, you should get it right.

Reactions: UK till Death
And???
Yeh, Cal can go find another 2 guard, but he ain't gonna be the best player in college basketball. You get that right?
It also means Cal is allowing kids to use UK like toilet paper

Why are you twisting what was said? You're making it seem like I said Cal is letting kids use UK like TP, that’s not what was said. If you're going to trash someone for what was said, you should get it right.

Maybe you need to be more clear in your communication if you meant something different, but I didn't misquote you.

Maybe you need to be more clear in your communication if you meant something different, but I didn't misquote you.
No, maybe you need to learn how to read. Read it again, everyone else understood it, apparently you’re the stinky kid in class.

Let me explain it to you. The comment CLEARLY indicates that Cal would be letting kids use UK like tp if Sharpe came to UK early and left without playing a game.

This isn’t hard to understand, but I guess I need to explain my posts better for people like you.

Sharpe has about a week to graduate from HS, if he wants to enter the 2022 draft. Things don't look too good for that to happen.

Reactions: Cats192
Sharpe has about a week to graduate from HS, if he wants to enter the 2022 draft. Things don't look too good for that to happen.

Right. I went back and found articles from 2017 about Diallo when he tested the draft waters. He had graduated high school in spring of 2016. I can't find anything saying Sharpe has graduated.

Reactions: jrpross and Cats192
Hami...but he played, not sure if that was sarcasm on your part...I'm on vacation so not paying much attention, lol.
Nah wasn't being sarcastic. I knew he played, but I was thinking someone else came for a semester early and then left without ever playing. But it must have been him testing the waters after coming early before playing that I was thinking of. Thanks!

Reactions: HagginHall1999
This is an interesting coincidence.

Wonder if Cal and / or Nike were the ones who suggested Sharpe enroll early at UK. His high school just announced that they’re now being sponsored by Adidas.

I say get him on campus as soon as possible.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I trust what UKinCincy is saying as he sure knows more than me. If he wants to come early and play in 22-23 then I see no problem with that. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

I trust cal on this. First I don’t think sharpe can go to the nba after only a half year out of school. Besides cal isn’t gonna do anything to jeopardize next seasons class. He knows it would be career suicide. My only other thought is this. If sharpe is the top player in the class cal would be foolish to not get him minutes this season.

Unless his high school is holding graduations in October, I truly don't believe this will be a problem. Some of you guys are freaking the fuhk out over nothing. This is NOT the Hami Diallo situation.

Reactions: chroix and Cats192
Nah wasn't being sarcastic. I knew he played, but I was thinking someone else came for a semester early and then left without ever playing. But it must have been him testing the waters after coming early before playing that I was thinking of. Thanks!
No you were just hoping 😂😂

He can't even TEST the waters. He won't be a year removed from high school.
But, he could still choose to go the G-League route. Not saying that’s what I think will happen but it’s a possibility & can’t be ruled out completely. Just bc he’s not draft eligible doesn’t automatically guarantee a return to UK for 22-23. That would be pretty low & I don’t think that’s how it will play out. But, it COULD happen.

But, he could still choose to go the G-League route. Not saying that’s what I think will happen but it’s a possibility & can’t be ruled out completely. Just bc he’s not draft eligible doesn’t automatically guarantee a return to UK for 22-23. That would be pretty low & I don’t think that’s how it will play out. But, it COULD happen.
Well that is much more a possibility if he stays in HS. Be whole lot less likely if he was already enrolled here with our people in his ear. Besides this is the kinda kid who is gonna sign with ea sports in college, Maybe with Nike I mean wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't go into the 22/23 season making 7 figures. Nil is changing the landscape for college like it or not. So according to the rules if he comes second semester he isn't eligible for the 22 draft. Him coming here is nothing but a win win for us.

It is possible for him to train for a semester at UK and then go to the G league.

But it’s also true that, as of right now, the NBA only offers the more lucrative G League Ignite contracts to high school players. They don’t go after players who’ve enrolled in college.

So if Sharpe were to decide to leave for the G League, then he’s going to be signed to a standard G League contract unless something changes. Not sure that will be enough of an incentive to lure him away if we can get him on campus.

It is possible for him to train for a semester at UK and then go to the G league.

But it’s also true that, as of right now, the NBA only offers the more lucrative G League Ignite contracts to high school players. They don’t go after players who’ve enrolled in college.

So if Sharpe were to decide to leave for the G League, then he’s going to be signed to a standard G League contract unless something changes. Not sure that will be enough of an incentive to lure him away if we can get him on campus.
Yeah, I agree with all of that. I’m just saying it’s a possibility & no matter how unlikely it is, it could still happen. It’s not what I expect to happen. But, I wouldn’t look at his being ineligible for the draft as any sort of guarantee that he returns to UK. Some ppl seem to assume he’s locked into UK since he’s not draft eligible. And, although the G-League focuses on HS grads, I would imagine a player of Sharpe’s caliber would get the lucrative contract whether he trained at UK or not. But, I admit I have no idea of the details of those contracts or if something like this would affect the contract value he’d get from the GL. I’m just speculating on that aspect.

“… He’s definitely considering it, very good possibility.”

The goal would be to get a “head start” for the following season, sources tell KSR, rather than “mess up any chemistry” the upcoming 2021-22 roster is working to build on the floor. He’d be there to help however he can in practice, but leave the games to the players already on campus preparing for the season.

It’s an option that has been considered for the better part of a month, sources tell KSR, but only made reality within the last week. The Kentucky coaching staff learned of Sharpe’s interest in a mid-year enrollment and approved of the potential jump earlier this week.

While the jump is under strong consideration, nothing is finalized at this point in time. Should he enroll early, the opportunity to play in the McDonald’s All-American Game and Jordan Brand Classic will be taken off the table, among other typical senior festivities. “That’s what he’s considering right now, he doesn’t want to miss that,” a source told KSR. “That’s why it’s still under consideration.”

...Although, if he were to come here, get NIL $ for a semester & then bolt, it would get extremely ugly, IMO.
Other than exposing a bad personality, what possible harm can he cause by accepting endorsement money while he is here. He is selling HIS name and likeness, not UK's.

Not gonna read article

so he comes, doesn’t play in any games, practices with team and then bolts?

or am I just pessimistic

They’ll say all the right things till the time comes i’m sure. And a lot of the more positive posters will deny him leaving before playing a game here could possibly happen.

But what if he’s getting buzz as the #1 pick? At that point why on earth would he bother with college basketball? A #1 pick doesn’t need the marketing base that playing a season of college basketball would bring them.

There’s a chance he never plays a game at UK if this happens. it’s just a reality we’re going to have to accept and forget about till the time comes.

“… He’s definitely considering it, very good possibility.”

The goal would be to get a “head start” for the following season, sources tell KSR, rather than “mess up any chemistry” the upcoming 2021-22 roster is working to build on the floor. He’d be there to help however he can in practice, but leave the games to the players already on campus preparing for the season.

It’s an option that has been considered for the better part of a month, sources tell KSR, but only made reality within the last week. The Kentucky coaching staff learned of Sharpe’s interest in a mid-year enrollment and approved of the potential jump earlier this week.

While the jump is under strong consideration, nothing is finalized at this point in time. Should he enroll early, the opportunity to play in the McDonald’s All-American Game and Jordan Brand Classic will be taken off the table, among other typical senior festivities. “That’s what he’s considering right now, he doesn’t want to miss that,” a source told KSR. “That’s why it’s still under consideration.”

Another quote from that article was

A source close to Sharpe, however, tells KSR that the five-star guard has not yet graduated and thus will not be eligible for the 2022 NBA Draft. And even if he was, it’s not an option Sharpe is willing to explore.

“He’s not eligible,” a source told KSR. “… An individual needs to go through the whole process, not just jump through — you can jump through, but that doesn’t mean the longevity is going to be there. There’s no way (Sharpe) is looking at rushing anything.”

So it seems to me that if he wanted to become draft eligible he’d have to start jumping through those hoops sooner rather than later. I really don’t think we have anything to worry about.

Reactions: Fox2monk and chroix
Other than exposing a bad personality, what possible harm can he cause by accepting endorsement money while he is here. He is selling HIS name and likeness, not UK's.
That's the problem with the NIL. Fans/Businesses only have a finite amount of money to spend on UK athletics. If that money goes to the NIL then it is not going to the program. If the player takes the NIL money and never plays, that's a double whammy.

With some exceptions, players only have NIL worth because of the school they attend. The reason schools started offering scholarships to begin with was because there was value in making an investment in the athlete. I thought the pre-NIL NCAA model was a good balance between school and athletes. Schools get talent to win and post "graduate" notoriety if the athlete makes a name for themselves in his/her career. Players in turn, get free education, housing, food, healthcare, gear, travel, marketing and admiration from fans.

Somehow, society lost it's way and decided athletes were just modern day slaves being taken advantage of by institutions.

Regards

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
No, maybe you need to learn how to read. Read it again, everyone else understood it, apparently you’re the stinky kid in class.

Let me explain it to you. The comment CLEARLY indicates that Cal would be letting kids use UK like tp if Sharpe came to UK early and left without playing a game.

This isn’t hard to understand, but I guess I need to explain my posts better for people like you.
I notice ganner918 didn't come back and respond. Guess he doesn't have the sack to admit he lied.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT