ADVERTISEMENT

I don't buy the angst that some fans

mtn cat1

Senior
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
chillicothe ohio
I don't buy the "give-up" attitude that is being stated by some of our fans relating to UT's overwhelming strength compared to ours. They began the season being a great deal more talented than UK, no argument here! The dynamics have shifted in a big way at this stage of the season,(9th. game), however!!!!!! UT has suffered some significant injuries regarding "key players",while UK is playing far better both offensively & defensively than the most ardent among us thought possible, especially how we began the season!

I feel that we match-up very well with "Rocky Top" considering the dynamics stated above!!! We must do what we haven't been very successful at up to this point in the season, "protecting the ball".
Two other areas that I believe that we Must Do Defensively - play tight PRESS man coverage with our DB's and use Jordan Jones as a spy vs Josh Dobbs!!!!!!!! In our previous 3 years vs Dobbs, we have made him out to be a more experienced Lemar Johnson!!!!! If we try to play him in our customary DF profile, we will lose by two to three TD's!!!!! Just my take!!!

Reactions: Oldtrainer
Just watched the UT/TN TECH game, I accidently dvred the game so I thought I would drag through it and see how well TN played. First, we can't allow the WRs to get behind us, Dobbs had all time to throw so you have to worry about that. Second, the Kelly kid ran like a mad man through the TN TECH defense, and that can't happen either. They have an excellent return guy so Tech punted away from him by any means they could. Dobbs actually looked good in this game. The defense, they can pressure and penetrate, their DBs are not the greatest, so if we can run some passing off the Wildcat we could catch them off guard. Our oline is better then Tech's so I think we can run the ball but we can hurt them in the air if we get the chance.

I don't buy the "give-up" attitude that is being stated by some of our fans relating to UT's overwhelming strength compared to ours. They began the season being a great deal more talented than UK, no argument here! The dynamics have shifted in a big way at this stage of the season,(9th. game), however!!!!!! UT has suffered some significant injuries regarding "key players",while UK is playing far better both offensively & defensively than the most ardent among us thought possible, especially how we began the season!

I feel that we match-up very well with "Rocky Top" considering the dynamics stated above!!! We must do what we haven't been very successful at up to this point in the season, "protecting the ball".
Two other areas that I believe that we Must Do Defensively - play tight PRESS man coverage with our DB's and use Jordan Jones as a spy vs Josh Dobbs!!!!!!!! In our previous 3 years vs Dobbs, we have made him out to be a more experienced Lemar Johnson!!!!! If we try to play him in our customary DF profile, we will lose by two to three TD's!!!!! Just my take!!!

Like almost every other game in the SEC I see this as a pretty even matchup. Against us Dobbs didn't really hurt us with his arm until the Hail Mary and that one was just put up for grabs and their guy happened to get it. They recovered a fumble in the endzone for TD. I think UT is better without Hurd, Butch should have his head examined starting him over Kamara. Having your best defender spying Dobbs a risk, but then again you can't let him beat you with scrambles. He is much stronger than he looks and breaks alot of tackles. Their WR are big fast guys but Dobbs hasn't been able to take advantage of that and your defenders match up very weill with them. They also used their TE a good bit against us and Dobbs was fairly effective getting the ball to him. But Kamara and Kelly make their run game much more dangerous than Hurd and Kamara, Dobbs is big and strong, but just doesn't have that suddeness to him that I like seeing in backs.

Defensively they were missing quite a bit when we played, and are now missing more dl it looks like, but are getting some guys back. That DE is an elite pass rusher and if your starting OT who was injured in our game is still out be prepared to give Young lots of help with him, but the others aren't anything special

Their kick returner is out, no idea who will take his place but he is a definite step backwards.

I think both OLs have an overall advantage over each DL, both sets of backs could put up some nice numbers, the biggest difference is Dobbs is probably a stronger runner than Johnson. Both sets of WRs have trouble reaching their potential because of limited abilty of the qb to get the ball to them.

I see this as a close, physical game that could come down to a single play, a key turnover or even an official call. But if one team has a big advantage in turnovers, it could get ugly.

Reactions: Oldtrainer
UT *9 Barnett is very good! Mosier and Young will have their hands full! But they must slow him down enough to allow Johnson to make plays. Johnson has got to put the ball where our receivers can catch it specially across the middle. With improved physical over all play by our d. and o. lines I believe it's match ups CATS can win! Keep Dobbs trying to beat us with his arm! Keep up big dose of time consuming WILDCAT offense!
VOLS think they will win! Hit-em in the mouth early and often make Jones panic!
Many of those angry fans belong to fellowship of the miserable .Even Hot Springs Water would not help-em!

Last edited:
I don't see how tight press coverage matches up with a running quarterback....

But to your point, if anybody is throwing in the towel than that's their problem. The only time Tennessee has been a juggernaut was the preseason.

They benefitted from the worst rule in college football to win the ap st game and quite frankly they were outclassed that game.

Should have lost to Georgia and maybe if mark left us 13 seconds we would have beat them also. But our defense held up a lot better then theirs.

And they looked like a turd sandwich in their last real game. We looked like a turd sandwich our first 2 games but since then have not.

Just watched the UT/TN TECH game, I accidently dvred the game so I thought I would drag through it and see how well TN played. First, we can't allow the WRs to get behind us, Dobbs had all time to throw so you have to worry about that. Second, the Kelly kid ran like a mad man through the TN TECH defense, and that can't happen either. They have an excellent return guy so Tech punted away from him by any means they could. Dobbs actually looked good in this game. The defense, they can pressure and penetrate, their DBs are not the greatest, so if we can run some passing off the Wildcat we could catch them off guard. Our oline is better then Tech's so I think we can run the ball but we can hurt them in the air if we get the chance.
The return guy, Berry, is out for the season as a result of getting hurt in the TN Tech game. He was also UTs starting safety and Eric Berry's younger brother (Eric Berry is a legend at UT).

That WR part worries me the most

Angst is 2-fold. Primarily, UK's recent history in this game is to not compete. To play disinterested, unfocused, uninspired football. UK's been embarrassed and humiliated in this game, completely and totally dominated. Until this team shows more ability to compete the outcome will be the same. Is that time near?

Secondly, UK has no pass rush. No ability to pressure or contain their QB. UK can't step up their game until they can make more negative plays on D. That ability is seriously lacking.

UT's trying to salvage a disappointing season and along comes UK to give them the medicine they need to get well. The Georgia game was the most disappointing performance of the season to date. This will likely be more disappointing. UT wins and from recent history it won't be close.

But to your point, if anybody is throwing in the towel than that's their problem. The only time Tennessee has been a juggernaut was the preseason.

They benefitted from the worst rule in college football to win the ap st game and quite frankly they were outclassed that game.

Should have lost to Georgia and maybe if mark left us 13 seconds we would have beat them also. But our defense held up a lot better then theirs.

And they looked like a turd sandwich in their last real game. We looked like a turd sandwich our first 2 games but since then have not.

What rule are referring to in the App St game? I don't recall any controversial calls.

Angst is 2-fold. Primarily, UK's recent history in this game is to not compete. To play disinterested, unfocused, uninspired football. UK's been embarrassed and humiliated in this game, completely and totally dominated. Until this team shows more ability to compete the outcome will be the same. Is that time near?

Secondly, UK has no pass rush. No ability to pressure or contain their QB. UK can't step up their game until they can make more negative plays on D. That ability is seriously lacking.

UT's trying to salvage a disappointing season and along comes UK to give them the medicine they need to get well. The Georgia game was the most disappointing performance of the season to date. This will likely be more disappointing. UT wins and from recent history it won't be close.
Agree with most of this,when you reduce things to the lowest common denominator this is what you have.My only exception is the UGA game,how it ended was disappointing but we competed for 60 minutes,we had our moments and our chances we just came up short.

We didn't compete against UGA the last 3 years before this year, either.

UT is not all that this year and they are really bad against the run. We are going to exploit that.

We may not win (I think we have a great chance tho), but it's going to go down to the wire.

Agree with most of this,when you reduce things to the lowest common denominator this is what you have.My only exception is the UGA game,how it ended was disappointing but we competed for 60 minutes,we had our moments and our chances we just came up short.

Yeah I disagree with him too about our play with GA. He could make that statement about our first 3 games but since then even with our depth problems we ain't play badly enough for that to be an issue.

The return guy, Berry, is out for the season as a result of getting hurt in the TN Tech game. He was also UTs starting safety and Eric Berry's younger brother (Eric Berry is a legend at UT).

No doubt that will help, TT could never help theirselves in field position for fear of that kid running it back on them.

Reactions: TNTUK

Two other areas that I believe that we Must Do Defensively - play tight PRESS man coverage with our DB's and use Jordan Jones as a spy vs Josh Dobbs!!!!!!!! In our previous 3 years vs Dobbs, we have made him out to be a more experienced Johnson!!!!! If we try to play him in our customary DF profile, we will lose by two to three TD's!!!!! Just my take!!!
Let's look at it this way... Virginia Tech is the only team that Tennessee has beaten all season by a bigger point margin then what Kentucky is an underdog on Saturday... go figure

What rule are referring to in the App St game? I don't recall any controversial calls.

It was not a call.

The worst rule in college football is that the offense can fumble the football outside of the end zone and fall on it to score a touchdown. Tennessee scored on 3rd down after getting stoned at the goal line.

It was not a call.

The worst rule in college football is that the offense can fumble the football outside of the end zone and fall on it to score a touchdown. Tennessee scored on 3rd down after getting stoned at the goal line.

Interesting take. I have never heard that "rule" criticized, and I have been around the game a long time.

No doubt that will help, TT could never help theirselves in field position for fear of that kid running it back on them.
Yeah - Evan Berry is his name (first name escaped me in earlier post). Kid is a dynamic returner, no doubt. Of course, his backup may be just as good.

Last edited:
Interesting take. I have never heard that "rule" criticized, and I have been around the game a long time.

It's a rare occurrence. I would bet that a lot of people feel that it's a cheap way to score and the ball should go back to original fumble spot.

It's a rare occurrence. I would bet that a lot of people feel that it's a cheap way to score and the ball should go back to original fumble spot.

I'm okay with it. If the defense wants the ball, recover the fumble. I wouldn't treat the situation any differently than if the ball were in the middle of the field, but thats JMO.

Fumbling out of the endzone resulting in a touchback is an incredibly stupid rule though.

I'm okay with it. If the defense wants the ball, recover the fumble. I wouldn't treat the situation any differently than if the ball were in the middle of the field, but thats JMO.

Fumbling out of the endzone resulting in a touchback is an incredibly stupid rule though.

Where did I say the defense should get the ball?

An offense should not be able to score a touchdown because they fumbled. They would not have scored if they just held on to the ball.

It would put an end to the 8' to 10' Sideline throws and additionally, present an opportunity for an interception when our defenders would have a better chance to "jump the route"!!!!! Yes I know that it would present an opportuniy for the receiver to use the dreaded "stop & go route', but even tho our defender may "bite on the quick out fake", that is why you have Safties to cover deep in such an event!!!

Additionally, hopefully you are applying maximum pressure on the QB by the DL & LB's/DE's!!!!! That is why we refer to this site as a discussion site!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have a good day & GO BIG BLUE - C- A- T-S CATS CATS CATS!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT