ADVERTISEMENT

POOR statistical performance...

bigbluelou

All-SEC
Apr 13, 2011
...and yet we still WON. On the road, in the SEC, in a very hostile environment, with a young team playing its first real road game, and with no player having one of "those" games, that is, no really dominant individual performances (besides some solid individual play and plays). Think about the below statistics, and it makes this win even more impressive:
  • 5% below our season FG% average
  • 16% below our 3P% average (abysmal)
  • 6 assists vs nearly 20 season average (abysmal)
  • 6 steals vs 9 season average
  • 2 blocks vs 6 season average
  • Slightly below season average FT%
There really wasn't a single offensive statistical category that stood out for us, but we did play solid defense for the most part. Yeah, we sort of held our own on the boards (better than recently), but we still got outrebounded. And with all that, we still managed to win. If you had told me before the game that we would have these kinds of numbers and still win in that environment, I would have laughed. I tip my hat to this team and the coaches. Also shout out to the defense, especially in the 2nd half after FL was hitting some circus shots in the 1st half.

- A very happy Cats fan

We really didn't play bad. We just played a good team at their place. It was always likely we wouldn't hit our averages.

Outside of Kansas and UNC and those were neutral court games, Florida was the best team we've played all year long.
Yeah and we aren't like 2012 or 2015 good. We can't expect to win on the road against a team like Florida by double digits lol

Yeah and we aren't like 2012 or 2015 good. We can't expect to win on the road against a team like Florida by double digits lol
I have a feeling those days of CBB are over. No team will ever be that dominant again. Between NIL and transfer the talent will be spread out much more evenly. 2015 teams as also a monster year for college ball as good as 2015 was ND was insanely good. So was Whisky. UofL was good too. Lots of great all time teams that would WAX any team anywhere in the past 10 years.

I'm still not so sure of that. The way this team scores the ball is just unreal. I may get roasted for it, but whatever...I truly believe this teams ceiling is just as high as those teams. This team has moxy. To be down double digits in first road game against a quad 1 team in a raucus environment and to pull this thing out down stretch is impressive. Even broke rule of 71.

2012 had some tough SEC games at beginning. Squeaked out 2nd road game vs an awful Tennessee team. Didn't hit stride until late January. 2015 first two SEC games took OT to win.

This team has scary potential....JMHO.

...and yet we still WON. On the road, in the SEC, in a very hostile environment, with a young team playing its first real road game, and with no player having one of "those" games, that is, no really dominant individual performances (besides some solid individual play and plays). Think about the below statistics, and it makes this win even more impressive:
  • 5% below our season FG% average
  • 16% below our 3P% average (abysmal)
  • 6 assists vs nearly 20 season average (abysmal)
  • 6 steals vs 9 season average
  • 2 blocks vs 6 season average
  • Slightly below season average FT%
There really wasn't a single offensive statistical category that stood out for us, but we did play solid defense for the most part. Yeah, we sort of held our own on the boards (better than recently), but we still got outrebounded. And with all that, we still managed to win. If you had told me before the game that we would have these kinds of numbers and still win in that environment, I would have laughed. I tip my hat to this team and the coaches. Also shout out to the defense, especially in the 2nd half after FL was hitting some circus shots in the 1st half.

- A very happy Cats fan
Yep, great post. By the numbers, we should have lost this game. The team had every excuse. The other part of this that the numbers don't really show is the fact that Florida was getting every bounce and every break for most of the game. They banked in a three. They had several shots bounce around and fall in. They got fortunate rebounds. Meanwhile, UK couldn't get normal shots to fall and seemed to never get any breaks. And yet, UK still found a way to win. It's an impressive win for many reasons. 👏

Yep, great post. By the numbers, we should have lost this game. The team had every excuse. The other part of this that the numbers don't really show is the fact that Florida was getting every bounce and every break for most of the game. They banked in a three. They had several shots bounce around and fall in. They got fortunate rebounds. Meanwhile, UK couldn't get normal shots to fall and seemed to never get any breaks. And yet, UK still found a way to win. It's an impressive win for many reasons. 👏
Banked in TWO threes actually! Crazy

If Florida had hit a mildly decent percentage of free throws, we lose this game.
FL shoots 65% FT on the year. They shot 62% this game. If they make 1 more, they are at their season average and we still win.

There are a lot of what-ifs in this and every game. We missed the front end of some crucial 1 and 1's, FL banked in two crazy 3-pointers they had no business making, we shoot only 25% from 3 when we're over 41% for the year, Reed commits a silly (non-)foul at the end that makes it a 2 pt win instead of a 4 pt win. Missed free throws don't happen in a vacuum.

Last edited:
If Florida had hit a mildly decent percentage of free throws, we lose this game.
Florida is a poor shooting team and that usually correlates to bad free throw shooting. They also had some of their bigs shooting a lot of those, so you expect that to lead to some misses. I remember when we shot terrible against Kansas State and we were a decent team from the line, but the guy shooting all of our free throws was Washington and he was terrible from the line. We also lost four points from the front end of one and ones with our best free throw shooters missing them. They also banked in two three pointers.

I don’t think it’s even clear that we’re 2019 good yet, but I like our potential if Bradshaw continues to progress, and Edwards steps up his game.

Reactions: fatguy87
I don’t think it’s even clear that we’re 2019 good yet, but I like our potential if Bradshaw continues to progress, and Edwards steps up his game.
If Edwards doesn't improve, less minutes as a result for him and more minutes for Thiero and/or Reed could also make the team better.

Reactions: Aike
If Edwards doesn't improve, less minutes as a result for him and more minutes for Thiero and/or Reed could also make the team better.
100% agree. Thiero getting healthy enough to give us 20 minutes a night wide open would be a big help.

And Reed just makes everything better. One of the crazy things about him is that he almost always recovers from a bad play by making a great hustle play a minute or two later.

I think DJ and Tre could be in the category of outstanding individual. If those two hadn't stood up we lose.
Tre's rebounding and DJ being the only players shooting above 50% did stand out. I was glad to see DJ have a good game. Other games he has shown a tendency to keep doing what didn't work. I like his patience in this game not to force stuff when we were behind and struggling.

We really didn't play bad. We just played a good team at their place. It was always likely we wouldn't hit our averages.

Outside of Kansas and UNC and those were neutral court games, Florida was the best team we've played all year long.
I would put Miami there with Florida, Miami might be a little better but that was at home, so Florida a little better at their home.

We played a “C” game and still won. I’ll take it!

Reactions: bigbluelou
Take away the refs and the made 3s...We win by large margin.

Normally FL is not on fire from 3.

I would put Miami there with Florida, Miami might be a little better but that was at home, so Florida a little better at their home.

We played a “C” game and still won. I’ll take it!

I think Miami is massively overrated. Still largely on the basis of their tournament run from last season IMO.

Could be wrong but judging from Kenpom Florida would be a 1 point favorite vs Miami on a neutral court currently.

Either way it would be close.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT