ADVERTISEMENT

I’m gonna throw up

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023

This is how Kentucky Basketball becomes just like Indiana. Cal will run this program even deeper into the ground, Cal is an arrogant person and will never change who he is. Would I welcome Cal back if he could get back to the 09-17 Calipari? Of course but he won’t, Cal only cares about getting guys to the league and helping families. Which is great but that should not be the top priority, WINNING is the top priority at Kentucky.

This is how Kentucky Basketball becomes just like Indiana. Cal will run this program even deeper into the ground, Cal is an arrogant person and will never change who he is. Would I welcome Cal back if he could get back to the 09-17 Calipari? Of course but he won’t, Cal only cares about getting guys to the league and helping families. Which is great but that should not be the top priority, WINNING is the top priority at Kentucky.
Nothing but hearsay. Cal is finished; he knows it and so does everyone else

Contract is completely handcuffing us. I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves for another school though.

Reactions: Fox2monk

Blame mitch and the board of trustees who approved this deal

I drive by Cals house like three of four times a day (twice today actually) and didn’t see them. Someone must have gotten to them quickly.
Well sometimes you gotta be in the right place at the right time. I drive by there a couple of times a day as well. Cal wasn't out there personally but they was a younger guy out there this morning. And it wasn't like the whole yard was just filled up or something.

Reactions: Fox2monk

Relax and give it a few days. Don’t get so excited.

Reactions: Wildcats1st

How would the university not have the money...

It's not due up front, and even if it was, it's not THAT much money anyway.

The most recent budget for the university was SIX POINT EIGHT BILLION DOLLARS.

I think they can find .005% of that somewhere.

What kind of tuition increase would that be? Worst case, on the hook for $6M a year, with an enrollment of 33,000... Do the math, it's a drop in the bucket.

What kind of tuition increase would that be? Worst case, on the hook for $6M a year, with an enrollment of 33,000... Do the math, it's a drop in the bucket.
You guys really don't know how public universities work. Raising tuition for a basketball coach buyout would be awful optics, but we all know that wouldn't happen anyway. At a public university you gotta worry about a lot more than just the basketball team. For everyone here its priority #1, but it's not priority #1 for the actual university itself.

Spending that much cash to buy out the contract of a coach that most other schools would take in a heartbeat at a public university would be an absolute PR nightmare.

That article from Ben Roberts lays it out pretty clearly:

Things haven’t been going well lately, by UK standards, but they also haven’t reached the depths of the situation that led to Fisher’s departure. And, for as big as everyone around here thinks Kentucky basketball is, college football — especially in the SEC, and especially in Texas — is always going to be a bigger business.

Fisher’s buyout remains an extreme outlier even in that context. The largest previous buyout paid to a college football coach by a public university was the $21.7 million that Auburn gave Gus Malzahn to leave four years ago. In college basketball, nothing has even come close to that.

If the university can’t pay Calipari to leave, why not the athletics department’s biggest donors? Why wouldn’t, say, coal magnate Joe Craft, who was sitting courtside in Pittsburgh on Thursday night, and his wife Kelly write a check for $33 million to see change within the program?

Multiple people familiar with the situation told the Herald-Leader in the immediate aftermath of Kentucky’s loss to Oakland that there’s no way Craft, specifically, would do such a thing. Others with direct knowledge of the situation said later Friday afternoon that there have been preliminary talks exploring the possibility of a buyout involving the Crafts.

But even if he had an extra $30-plus million to give to UK Athletics, Barnhart would surely want to make better use of that money to further the department’s overall goals. Joe and Kelly Craft have been generous donors to several different UK Athletics initiatives over the years, and they have a close, working relationship with Barnhart.

Everyone involved knows there are more logical ways to spend that kind of cash.

And Capilouto is currently dealing with multiple high-profile headaches, the debate over the faculty senate’s role and the possible impact of DEI legislation at the state level among them. Is the president of a public university with that much on his plate really going to wade into the PR disaster that would come with paying a Hall of Fame basketball coach $33 million to sit at home? All while promising the next guy even more than that to do the job?

According to UK’s most recent NCAA financial report, the athletics department was responsible for $1.2 million in severance payments during the 2022-23 fiscal year. That means if the university did fire Calipari, whose buyout would be paid in monthly installments, it would be responsible for more than five times that amount next year.

It will cost us way more than 33 million to keep him.

The program is catering and the hit our reputation will take now and the future is inestimable.
It won't. The most recent financial report says the basketball team had revenue of $31 million. Not profit, just revenue. Ticket sales were $21 million of that number. There's no world where the basketball team takes a $6 million hit next year, that mean ticket sales would need to basically be cut by a third. That's not happening.

Reactions: KYExtemper
If Cal doesn’t feel our heat then we need to make Mitch feel it.

You know what you need to do. Do it.
ZOVRhI.gif

Last edited:
This is EXACTLY how I have felt this thing will go. $33 million is still a HUGE amount of money. What makes it worse is the fact that most if not all of the big money donors do NOT like or associate with Cal. So the ENTIRE amount will have to come from UK. Even at $6 million/ year over 5 years it will put a strain on the athletic department and hamper the amount needed to reel in a huge name.

Mitch is tied at the hip of Cal from this point forward. Unless Cal doesn’t want to stick around and feel the WRATH of the BBN and the national media, we are stuck with him. JMHO

SAD

Get a few fat cat boosters to put up $10-$12 million each - problem solved

Contract is completely handcuffing us. I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves for another school though.
serious question. What other school would want him? He brings headaches, drama, attention and not all of it good yet he doesn’t win. Half the reason he gets these recruits is because of the name on the front of the jersey. He ain’t getting top players at most other schools and we all know he can’t develop players so what school would want to deal with that?

serious question. What other school would want him? He brings headaches, drama, attention and not all of it good yet he doesn’t win. Half the reason he gets these recruits is because of the name on the front of the jersey. He ain’t getting top players at most other schools and we all know he can’t develop players so what school would want to deal with that?
The vast majority of other schools not named UConn, Duke, Kansas, and UNC would want him.

They would hope he can recreate what he did the first 10 years here. He can turn a terrible team into a tourney team really quick. Sure, he can't coach worth a shit. But to a program like Michigan who just had 8 wins or some shit or SMU, he looks awfully enticing.

It will cost us way more than 33 million to keep him.

The program is catering and the hit our reputation will take now and the future is inestimable.
UK basketball and UK athletics have increased revenues every year but covid for a long time now. They are on track to do it again this year. So thus far it hasn't cost them at all.

As was evident this year, we are still a massive draw for opposing teams. It's typically their biggest game of the year when we come to town.

The buyout number is being used incorrectly to the masses. The contract can be found in a quick google search. We do not have to come up with 33 million dollars. Essentially we have to come up with 550k a month minus offsets for the next 5 years.

The buyout number is being used incorrectly to the masses. The contract can be found in a quick google search. We do not have to come up with 33 million dollars. Essentially we have to come up with 550k a month minus offsets for the next 5 years.
If he accepts another job, wouldn’t it knock down price of the buyout as well?

I was at the Evansville @ Belmont game earlier this month and was catching up with a buddy of mine from Memphis who is the new AD at Evansville. We both noticed a familiar face sitting at courtside who looked like he was scouting. It was Robic. I stayed in my seat but my buddy went down and chatted with him for a while. He looked and seemed pretty content.

I've been saying since last night people are really getting their hopes up for something that won't happen. Cal will be here next year unless he chooses not to be.
Knee deep come up for air and take a breath

Knee deep come up for air and take a breath
Find a quote from me saying I want Cal back next year. There are certain realities of a public university paying a $35 million buyout to a basketball coach that some of your don't understand.

I've been saying since last night people are really getting their hopes up for something that won't happen. Cal will be here next year unless he chooses not to be.

Yep. Balls in his court. He won't change. He willingly gave his pet lineup several minutes at the start of each half even during March. If he's willing to sacrifice everything for that, he isn't changing

Cal can be made so miserable in Lexington that he can't wait to get out of there. It just requires the right amount of motivation

Pics or sadly it didn't happen.
Well i guess it just sadly didn't happen then. Because Im not consumed with my phone and I'm not one of these guys who is always trying to get a pic. I'm more focused on the road instead of trying to get a pic of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT