ADVERTISEMENT

I’m choosing to support Cal, and here’s why

It seems like your idea of coming together is everybody has to agree with you and your pint of view. This is the way the right is the same as the left. You both just want people to agree with you. Find the common ground and accept that people have different experiences. You clearly have not had the same experience as a minority in an urban environment the same way they haven’t been through what you’ve been through. That inability to see other people’s side is the problem with the country right now. Not that it’s too woke or too racist.
No, I see the issues. I don't have to be black and they don't have to be me to understand the issues. The issue is we're unwilling to have an honest look at what's happening in the country. There's a lot wrong with black culture when trying to get the right answer or being on time is seen as "acting white".

The country is too woke. You may recall there were some calling to rename Rupp Arena because of the perception of Rupp fostered by those envious of the program.

When we start excusing or allowing certain actions because we're afraid of being called racist that's the problem.

And the ongoing narrative that whites are the only ones who are racist or can be racist is what's continuing to be advanced in academia and corporate America. I see it in the office in the DIE mess.

You can have the last word as I know this conversation has veered off a bit.

Go Cats and have a good one.

Reactions: chroix
No, I see the issues. I don't have to be black and they don't have to be me to understand the issues. The issue is we're unwilling to have an honest look at what's happening in the country. There's a lot wrong with black culture when trying to get the right answer or being on time is seen as "acting white".

The country is too woke. You may recall there were some calling to rename Rupp Arena because of the perception of Rupp fostered by those envious of the program.

When we start excusing or allowing certain actions because we're afraid of being called racist that's the problem.

And the ongoing narrative that whites are the only ones who are racist or can be racist is what's continuing to be advanced in academia and corporate America. I see it in the office in the DIE mess.

You can have the last word as I know this conversation has veered off a bit.

Go Cats and have a good one.

Again I agree with parts of what you are saying but you are being to dismissive of the other side’s opinion and that divide and inflexibility by both sides is what is breaking the country. We aren’t solving it here. Good luck with everything. Glad we were able to keep it civil.

Reactions: ruppcat
Some of y’all really want a program that reflects the culture you know (white, conservative, rural, Christian) but the problem is the kind of talent (read: black players) the program has to get to actually have success won’t come from that culture. At least not in big numbers. Some of y’all take it as a given that black players who are not from this state or culture will keep coming because it’s Kentucky and they’ll just love it here despite the bigotry shown towards them when they dare to express views that aren’t in keeping with what the fans want them to say or do.

• Haha
Reactions: UK till Death
When you start complaining because he let his players exercise their first amendment rights, your argument losses any credibility it might have had.
What a stupid ass response. You don't have a right to co-op the University of Kentucky for your own anti-American activities. Embarrass yourself on your own time.

Some of y’all really want a program that reflects the culture you know (white, conservative, rural, Christian) but the problem is the kind of talent (read: black players) the program has to get to actually have success won’t come from that culture. At least not in big numbers. Some of y’all take it as a given that black players who are not from this state or culture will keep coming because it’s Kentucky and they’ll just love it here despite the bigotry shown towards them when they dare to express views that aren’t in keeping with what the fans want them to say or do.
DO IT ON YOUR OWN TIME.

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

This state will NEVER accept that kind of bullshit (thank God), I don't care what color you are or identify as. Californian's love anti-American schtick. Go there and you can kneel to your heart's content.

First let me say that, although I am far from the most prolific poster on this board, I think most would recognize me as someone who has been very critical of Cal’s performance since 2015, and especially over the past 3 seasons. l’m still not over Wisconsin, or for that matter, losing to Kevin Ollie. I’m not OK with the Sharpe deal. I’m not ok with great players being misused, undeveloped, and transferring out. I’m not ok with recruiting the likes of Khalil Whitney and Devin Askew. I’m not ok with chumps like EJ Montgomery and Ashton Hagans thinking they are NBA players. I’m not ok with injuries happening or being aggravated at “pro day”, or with draft night supposedly being this program’s apex. I’m not OK with “I haven’t seen him”. I’m not ok with the inability to play a zone, with 20-foot 2-pointers, or with Cal “forgetting” that someone was on the bench. I’m not ok with losing the wins lead or the 3-point streak. I’m not ok with the bloated contract. I’m not ok with batting .250 against ranked teams. I’m damn sure not ok with Evansville, 9-16, St. Peter’s, or missing the tournament.

Having said all this… the only way we can truly judge Calipari is within a historical context. And from 1939, when the first NCAA tournament was held, to Billy G’s last season in 2009, here are the standards of our program:

.762 win percentage
Averaged a final four every 5.38 years
Averaged a title every 10 years

Now here are Cal’s numbers:

.776 win percentage
Averaged a final four every 3 years when you throw out the year there was no tourney
1 title in 12 seasons (again throwing out 2020 when there was no tourney)

In other words Cal is well ahead of UK’s historical standards in the first two categories, and technically still has 8 seasons to win another title before he would fall below average. If he wins another one in the next 2-4 years he would be well above average in that category as well.

We can lament the current trajectory (read: downward spiral) of the program all we want. But the numbers don’t lie: John Calipari has not run UK basketball into the ground. Even after several dreadful seasons, he’s still above average, and not by national standards, but by UK standards. And that is no small feat. Can he reach the top of the mountain again? I don’t know. But I believe he deserves my support in trying… if for no other reason than simple math.
L O L Lemming

DO IT ON YOUR OWN TIME.

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

This state will NEVER accept that kind of bullshit (thank God), I don't care what color you are or identify as. Californian's love anti-American schtick. Go there and you can kneel to your heart's content.
Or they can just do it on UK's time because there isn't much UK can do about it. Supreme Court decided that years and years ago.

Sure they will! There is literally nothing the state can do other than bitch about it.

What a stupid ass response. You don't have a right to co-op the University of Kentucky for your own anti-American activities. Embarrass yourself on your own time.
Sure they do! The Supreme court ruled as such decades ago.

Not sure how you consider kneeling quietly for a national Anthem before a sporting event is a co-op of UK, or un-american when it is literally expressing your 1st listed American right. I'm guessing civics wasn't a course offered in your educational institution?

Last edited:
"Any 18-22 year old that thinks like you is no good at basketball I guarantee."

Wow.....talk about bias. You presume a conservative kid, and let's say it.....white.....can't be good at bball. Further, you're saying a black kid cannot be conservative.

Thanks for playing the race card.
Seems you’re being the one presumptuous. I mentioned nothing about black/white or conservative/liberal.

My point stands, no need to get all butt hurt.

The majority of top young basketball players of any race (more than just black and white division one ball players) and political leaning aren’t sharing this poster I’d respond to’s viewpoints.

For those supporting Cal. Your right and fine.

I like I have said many times have never liked Coach Cal. Do not like his crappy state of the union addresses, do not like his coaching style or philosophy. Do not like his views on most things. I do think he has done good with helping others (meaning disaster help and such). Will never support him as our coach.

I do however support our team. I never want them to lose. This team this year has been a hard one to get behind. Not sure that is all on Cal. Some of it or a bunch of it had to go on the actual guys playing as well. I am happy they are putting it together at the right time. Hope they continue moving up and forward. GO BIG BlUE!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT