ADVERTISEMENT

Hurley to Lakers?

It would be so awesome if Cal goes to the Lakers. I doubt it would happen but it would be great. I don't mind Hurley staying as I kept reading Cal might have been able to pick up some of his key players which is the last thing I would want.

Reactions: westerncat
Beat Down Whip It GIF by Arrow Video

Danny when he told his wife he was going to the Lakers probably. 😂

I really hope his success runs out. He's going to be kicking himself in a year from now.
He will never be any hotter than right now unless he turns UConn into some kind of 60-70's UCLA. I don't buy the hype that they will be a top 3 team next year as they lose the majority of what got them the 2 championships. It may be back to his status quo and the reality he wasn't the main reason they have won 2 in a row.

Well, they won’t repeat again, but he will stare at his bank account at the end of the year and still be rich.

I really hope his success runs out. He's going to be kicking himself in a year from now.
From a Laker fan perspective, I think he made the intelligent decision. This franchise is a ****show right now with Jeanie and Pelinka not able to get things done. They cater to a 40 yr old Lebron-the fact that Lakers fans were excited about "Bronny" being developed by Hurley......WTF? You can only do so much with a slapdick level talent like Bronny. Remember Lebron and Klutch used their AAU pimps and talking heads on social media to try and sell "THT" aka Talen Thornton Tucker as the "next big thing" and if you dared say he's a fat kid who can't shoot--they'd say "You just don't see it".

The best thing for the Lakers would be Lebron leaving via FA this offseason and trading AD to start over. Also notice how Hurley's $ went down from $100 Million to 6 yrs for $70M which is something UConn can approach and if a job that is better opens up (Spurs for instance) he can go on there.

Throw in the timing...if this happened after the season, makes more sense but you just got kids on campus to practice...you got one of your best players to return in Karaban and for a University that has treated him well-you'd return that by bailing on them in June when the players would have a 30 day window to leave and there's a live period starting tomorrow at NBA Top 100 Camp?

Hurley did the intelligent thing turning this job down. This isn't the Lakers with Jerry Buss. It's Jeannie, Jay Mohr and the Rambis's running things while Rob Pelinka either is vetoed or can't pull off deals because other teams hate him.

Well looks like JJ Redick will cut his teeth with a demanding, tough 1st coaching gig.

He was just building his brand. Couple weeks with recruits seeing him in the headlines.
Unfortunately I now think his brand is being scared of his wife. Is she the true offensive genius?

I'm not a recruit though so my opinion doesn’t matter.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I think Hurley has seen his last Championship at UCONN, and will come back down to Earth over the next few years.

With that said, turning down back to back $10+ million per season offers from two of the greatest teams in their respective leagues, will go down as one of the biggest financial mistakes and legacy opportunities you will ever witness in sports.

Perhaps Hurley doesn’t understand that “Vegas” will likely give him the 2015 UK treatment going forward.

Hurley gets emotional and animated, I'm not sure any of the Lakers would listen to him anyway. He's a good coach but you have to be good and lucky, and everything has fell into place for him so far. There is no guarantee the success he's had the last two years will last.

I’m guessing he’ll wait for Knicks, 76’ers, or another NE team. I don’t expect him to go west of the Mississippi.

He’s sitting on a pretty good gig. I do find it interesting that he barely has a .700 winning percentage at UConn. Has he figured out college BB roster building or will he resort back to his previous winning percentage?

To his credit, I think he was ahead of the curve regarding college rosters plus analytics. Cal was ahead of the curve regarding OAD, then other teams caught up. There will be lots of teams this year with combination of veteran talent, plus a couple excellent recruits. Pope will have opportunities next year to add a few high level recruits to incoming portal players.

Last edited:
Hurley gets emotional and animated, I'm not sure any of the Lakers would listen to him anyway. He's a good coach but you have to be good and lucky, and everything has fell into place for him so far. There is no guarantee the success he's had the last two years will last.
The first championship they were far from the best team for most of the season and just clicked at the right time. This year they were one of the top 3 teams all year and deserved to win. Are those 2 seasons indicative of how good he is or an outlier to the fact he was mediocre for the previous 12 seasons?

IMO he was never taking the job

These college coaches have absolutely gravy setups and even for more money it’s hard to get them to move evidenced by our search too.

They’ll be good again this year. I don’t believe they’ll be special.

Reactions: Dncmaxwell
He was never leaving. Just working the system to get richer. Unfortunately, he has a good chance for a 3peat.

There's no way it doesn't normalize. Unless the guy is far and away the greatest coach of all time in what might be the most difficult era to build sustainable long term success at a program. UConn's titles are ridiculously lucky, even when considering they had some very great teams.

The greatest coaches of all time are lucky to win a title a third of the time they make the Final Four. The fact that UConn has done it six out of seven Final Fours just isn't sustainable and is the product of a lot of the tournament's random variance breaking in their favor.

People calling what Hurley has done the last 2 seasons luck has to be one of the dumbest things I've read on here. He has won 12 straight ncaa tournament games by double digits. That isn't luck.

Of course he isnt gonna win the title next season most likely but if he's there until 2030 probably at least one more title IMO

It would be so awesome if Cal goes to the Lakers. I doubt it would happen but it would be great. I don't mind Hurley staying as I kept reading Cal might have been able to pick up some of his key players which is the last thing I would want.
When has Cal filled out a full roster? One time he did was about to be the best team of all time and still lost to Wisconsin before the title game. Plus UCONN's roster isn't stacked this year, under Hurley they are going to be pretty dang good but that doesn't equate to other coaches and other systems. Cal could have his pick between Arkansas and UCONN'S rosters, and still wouldn't do anything. Our roster this past year was a lot better than next year UCONN and he didn't win a single game in either tournament. Don't worry about Cal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT