ADVERTISEMENT

Hurley to Lakers?

He's a Northeast guy. if this was the Knicks or the Nets, I could see him jumping. I don't see him dragging his family cross country. We could have made him a massive offer too but he said "nah, I'm good"

Reactions: Fox2monk
There are certain NBA jobs you just don't turn down: Lakers, Celtics, Knicks...that being said, their roster is trash and they have little moves to make as they have no draft picks in the near future to trade, LBJ is a year or so from retiring, and AD will always have injury concerns. In no world are they better than a 6 seed in the west. If it were OKC with a young team and a ton of draft picks then I get it, but even it being the Lakers job it doesn't seem that appealing from a chance of success standpoint. If he takes it, it's because of the money and if he has some signs of life then he can stay a NBA coach forever. All those guys bounce around but always have a job.

If he goes, I wonder if the team will all transfer out. Could get real interesting
I’m guessing that most NIL money is already in place. Why leave if you are going to make more at UConn? If Hurley leaves they will have a helluva replacement. Just my opinion.

Like all other college coaches going to the NBA, Hurley will fail and be back in college eventually.
I honestly think the last college coach to make the jump might have been Donovan. I’m trying to think of anyone else since him. It is not common at all anymore and teams seem to only go for the best when it does happen.

EDIT - poster reminded me of Brad Stevens. So since 2013 is it Stevens and Donovan?

Last edited:
I honestly think the last college coach to make the jump might have been Donovan. I’m trying to think of anyone else since him. It is not common at all anymore and teams seem to only go for the best when it does happen.
The guy running Boston was pretty good. I'm just saying.

Reactions: bthaunert
If this happens I’ll really feel bad for those poor UConn fans. It would really suck to have your coach just bail without setting things up well for the future.

Lakers better get LBJs stamp of approval. ;)
In a social media post responding to a podcast interview with JJ Redick, James posted on X about Hurley: "He's so DAMN GOOD!!! Along with his staff. Super creative with their [offense]. Love it."

He’s already shown after turning us down that money isn’t his only consideration, but would taking on a new challenge in the NBA appeal to him? I could see that being possible, and we may find out soon. Could pretty drastically alter the landscape of the college game if he does leave.

He’s always wanted to be in the NBA. UCONN is probably tapped out on money. The Lakers have plenty of money. James seems to be pulling for him. I hear the weather in LA is better than Connecticut. ESPN says they have had preliminary talks and expect to escalate in the coming days… he’s going. IMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT