ADVERTISEMENT

How the &@?! did we lose to K st. ?

K State was garbage vs UMBC and garbage tonight but against us they hit their 3s and 1 of our guys missed 12 FT's and we had a bunch of Turnovers.

If we don't play like complete garbage we win.

They give warnings for being out of the coaches box? When did that start? Thursday?

The question was how did we lose to K-State.
We lost to a team that was without their best player, are offensively challenged and had 3 of their guys foul out. We had no business losing that game. Throw this in the bucket of games blown in the Cal era.
I think you nailed it but I’ll go on and say Cal sucks at Xs & Os. Bash away but he recruits like a mad man but I cannot stand his game plans. We looked a a team of 5 year olds playing soccer. All bunched up and not having a clue what was going on. Blame youth. Blame the refs. The fact is Cal flat out did a horrific job coaching. Let the bashing begin.

Reactions: jimmy5-11
Several really good transfers from power 5 schools helped LUC. Also, the Loyola coach has figured out a way to score on this defense. The UK staff did not make many adjustments when K State’s pressure was bothering the Cats. Jmo

Playing their style and winning easy as I figure they would. We would have beaten KState as well if we would have played our game instead of the idiotic plan of trying to take everything inside and playing at a snails pace.
That's what I figured. I agree with you. I never understood why every time we got a rebound Cal jumped up and held his hand in the air slowing Shai down. We didn't play our game we allowed Kansas State to dictate the style of play. And then we fed the ball to a guy who couldn't make a free-throw to save his life over and over.

They had a virtually invisible guy that played 22 minutes while collecting 0 points and 0 rebounds, and we still lost. You can’t make this stuff up.

They shot their wad against UK...
As most teams do after they upset us. UAB in 1981 got blown out by IU the next game, Middle Tennessee in 1982 lost to UL by 15, as I recall, UL took LSU out with ease in 1986 after they upset us in the regional finals, Oklahoma beat Villanova by around 20 points after they upset us in 1987, and the list goes on.

Reactions: howercat
Our coach couldn't stay in the coaching box, too many missed free throws, taking bad shots at the start and then expending all their energy to make up a 13-1 deficit and Kansas State played out of their minds. All these factors contributed to a unbelivable upset. I don't believe this team could win the NCAA Championship but with the tournament breaking open for them, they should walked to the Final Four.

Reactions: Jazzycat
We played like crap,were too cocky and Cal had a terrible game plan.
Cal's game plan fouled out half their team and got us nearly 40 FTA. A coach's job is to exploit matchups and give us the best opportunity to score, it's not on Cal if they miss them. At worst Cal failed to have them relaxed because IMO we did look nervous, but they were all playing in their 1st Sweet 16 and under a lot of pressure.

Cal's game plan fouled out half their team and got us nearly 40 FTA. A coach's job is to exploit matchups and give us the best opportunity to score, it's not on Cal if they miss them. At worst Cal failed to have them relaxed because IMO we did look nervous, but they were all playing in their 1st Sweet 16 and under a lot of pressure.
It makes you wonder how many tournament games we're going to lose because of missed FT's. Arizona in 1996, UCONN in 2014, etc.

we've won plenty of games on FTs too, it evens out
In the tournament? The only two I recall would be Macy against Michigan State in 1978 and against IU in 2015. There's no excuse for one player shooting 8-20 at the line. Has to be some sort of dubious record.

I'm on the road traveling can't watch the game. Is Loyola allowing them to dictate the pace of the game? Or are they playing their own style?
Refs only called 20 some fouls all game so they actually let the teams establish a style of play.

Who’s fault is it if the coach recruits guys who can’t shoot? It’s been a clear pattern since his first year.

If you can't make jump shots, you better do everything else at an elite level(rebound, limit turnovers, make Free Throws and score in the paint).

Our young team could never master enough areas outside of consistently making shots too overcome a bad night.

Hope Cal works on our Post players being able to defend, catch the ball, rebound and score on a Post move!!

Last edited:
In the tournament? The only two I recall would be Macy against Michigan State in 1978 and against IU in 2015. There's no excuse for one player shooting 8-20 at the line. Has to be some sort of dubious record.
Andrew hit fouls shots to beat ND in 15 in elite 8.

That's basically what we've done all year....walk the ball up and set up the offense.

This is not your Father's team.
No actually all year we ran on fast breaks and when we walked it up SGA mostly pounded the ball into the ground and tried to drive. I didn't see very many half court plays called this year

Because Loyola wasn’t giving them open threes. Also Loyola can shoot and they share the ball. They don’t do much one on one and they have plays where a guy cuts for a back soor layup. They don’t really have the Knox/Monk/Jamal Murray type plays to get one guy the ball Because they don’t have the individual talent but the plus side of it is all five players are dangerous to score double figures every single night

Well...K-State isn't raining 3's. Not the same team & that's exactly what I figured. Figured they'd play their best game against UK & they did.

Calm down OP...its tourney & it happens. You only have to be better on the day you play.

No actually all year we ran on fast breaks and when we walked it up SGA mostly pounded the ball into the ground and tried to drive. I didn't see very many half court plays called this year
Wut? Are you serious, Clark?

Loyola has kids who can pass shootcand dribble - solid fundamentals- probably would have kicked our butts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT