ADVERTISEMENT

How much of college basketball is staged or fixed?

Jan 27, 2023
Not sure that this post will earn me many friends, especially after my first post under this new name had so much rambling. This one will too.

I don’t have an opinion on this question that I feel committed to. There are some things that happen in college basketball that make it sometimes feel like the whole damned thing is a reality show designed to remove bills from our wallets.

The egregiously bad reffing is a good case in point example. There are plenty of games each year where you feel the refs have to be getting kick backs. The lack of oversight or consequences fuels that suspicion. Then you have the way some teams are treated vs the way other teams are treated when it comes investigations and punishments. Kansas, UNC, and Duke have all had very public cases of wrong doing, with indisputable public evidence, and yet faced no real consequence. On top of all of that, you have the accuracy of Vegas, almost as if Vegas knows the outcome before many games, and is only wrong sometimes to keep us guessing. Lastly, for now, sometimes teams play/lose so badly that it seems inexplicable.Sometimes players blow plays that the average person could make in their backyard.

The other side of all of this is that a lot of conspiracy theories aren’t really conspiracies at all, but instead the result of gross incompetence. Look at your local government…now take those people and put them in charge of national politics or nationwide entertainment. Huge conspiracies would take a whole lot of complicit people who aren’t going to speak up. Instead, maybe some refs just don’t like certain teams and certain coaches. Some governing officials have close ties to certain programs and conferences. Vegas has some of the best statisticians in the world. A lot of knowledgeable and invested fans influence those betting lines. Players and coaches are human.

My question is, are we all being hoodwinked or should we just trust the game because of the scale of it?

Reactions: TFCats11
I’ll always believe that 2017 UNC was fixed.

They were a year from making the “nothing to see here” ruling. At the time they were swarming in scandal tho. They lost in the title game the year before and all season long we were hearing about it being “A Redemption Year”.

Jordan was more present around the program than he had been for 20 years..:and hasn’t really been visible sense. Gave the infamous ceiling is the roof speech and was on the sideline for the tournament run.

Arkansas had them beat in the S16 and then the refs let UNC hack every possession for the final 10 minutes…meanwhile they also fouled out multiple Arkansas players in the final 10 minutes and let UNC shoot freethrows almost every possession. UNC escapes.

E8 is self explanatory. We were playing 10+ minutes w Issac Humphries as our star bc half our starting 5 was on the bench before the 15 minute mark. Espn commentators were joking about “the refs must have UNC in their bracket pools” at halftime. Add to it that 4 points was removed from the board for a bogus over the back on a put back dunk where the defender was under the rim…and an awful offensive goaltending call on another put back where half the ball was outside andbelow the rim.

Final 4 also had questionable officiating albeit not as bad as the S16 and E8.

So UNC was carried for 3 straight rounds to complete their “rebranding” during the most turmoil ridden time of their history. Then that offseason it was quietly released that there would be no punishment since a few regular students were enrolled too…despite years prior to the fraternities finding out about the fake degrees and advisors email traffic saying “Greek life found out what do we do?…maybe it’s good to have a few non athletes mixed in to…”

^^^^^beyond that…

College refs 1000% fix games for gambling purposes. They make less than 50k a year and have no break lower to influence a game by 10 or so points easily which covers most lines. Pretty easy to do w a handful of calls and no suspicion.

Making an extra 50k-200k a year by fixing games keeps them from not having a second job….and then you can have a “small business” front to launder your gambling winnings through…like a roofing company. Do a couple real jobs…cook the books on a few more

Not sure that this post will earn me many friends, especially after my first post under this new name had so much rambling. This one will too.

I don’t have an opinion on this question that I feel committed to. There are some things that happen in college basketball that make it sometimes feel like the whole damned thing is a reality show designed to remove bills from our wallets.

The egregiously bad reffing is a good case in point example. There are plenty of games each year where you feel the refs have to be getting kick backs. The lack of oversight or consequences fuels that suspicion. Then you have the way some teams are treated vs the way other teams are treated when it comes investigations and punishments. Kansas, UNC, and Duke have all had very public cases of wrong doing, with indisputable public evidence, and yet faced no real consequence. On top of all of that, you have the accuracy of Vegas, almost as if Vegas knows the outcome before many games, and is only wrong sometimes to keep us guessing. Lastly, for now, sometimes teams play/lose so badly that it seems inexplicable.Sometimes players blow plays that the average person could make in their backyard.

The other side of all of this is that a lot of conspiracy theories aren’t really conspiracies at all, but instead the result of gross incompetence. Look at your local government…now take those people and put them in charge of national politics or nationwide entertainment. Huge conspiracies would take a whole lot of complicit people who aren’t going to speak up. Instead, maybe some refs just don’t like certain teams and certain coaches. Some governing officials have close ties to certain programs and conferences. Vegas has some of the best statisticians in the world. A lot of knowledgeable and invested fans influence those betting lines. Players and coaches are human.

My question is, are we all being hoodwinked or should we just trust the game because of the scale of it?
I’ll just put it like this…

If anyone thinks the sports gambling industry would be willing to let you wager ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY YOU WANT, along with thousands of other people, including players, coaches, or whoever, without a fail safe(s) in place to protect their investments, they’re not living in reality!

“Vegas” would be bankrupt by the end of the first CBB season! Forget the NFL, NBA, or the other sports they allow wagers on.

Key players and coaches shave points all the time, yes, even at UK! And don’t even get me started about the “refs”! Y’all watch the games, you see it dozens of times a season! The NFL has to be the worst though.

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
I’ll always believe that 2017 UNC was fixed.

They were a year from making the “nothing to see here” ruling. At the time they were swarming in scandal tho. They lost in the title game the year before and all season long we were hearing about it being “A Redemption Year”.

Jordan was more present around the program than he had been for 20 years..:and hasn’t really been visible sense. Gave the infamous ceiling is the roof speech and was on the sideline for the tournament run.

Arkansas had them beat in the S16 and then the refs let UNC hack every possession for the final 10 minutes…meanwhile they also fouled out multiple Arkansas players in the final 10 minutes and let UNC shoot freethrows almost every possession. UNC escapes.

E8 is self explanatory. We were playing 10+ minutes w Issac Humphries as our star bc half our starting 5 was on the bench before the 15 minute mark. Espn commentators were joking about “the refs must have UNC in their bracket pools” at halftime. Add to it that 4 points was removed from the board for a bogus over the back on a put back dunk where the defender was under the rim…and an awful offensive goaltending call on another put back where half the ball was outside andbelow the rim.

Final 4 also had questionable officiating albeit not as bad as the S16 and E8.

So UNC was carried for 3 straight rounds to complete their “rebranding” during the most turmoil ridden time of their history. Then that offseason it was quietly released that there would be no punishment since a few regular students were enrolled too…despite years prior to the fraternities finding out about the fake degrees and advisors email traffic saying “Greek life found out what do we do?…maybe it’s good to have a few non athletes mixed in to…”
Sir, This is a Wendy’s.

Reactions: EliteBlue
People love conspiracy theories. It's much more fun and have earned the ones in media who like to promote them a lot of money.
It's not a conspiracy theory when it's already been proven to happen, and someone was put in prison for doing it.

Is it rampant? Not likely. But to think that it's all conspiracy tin foil stuff that it even happens at all is terribly naive.

If you still think college officiating is pure please stay away from the book “The fix is in.” You may have to change your worldview.
People act like the mafia is gone. If you’re thinking the guys wearing suits and fedoras, yeah those guys aren’t around. But the mob still exits as well as other gangs. And if you think they don’t try to weasel in in the huge amounts of money in sports. Well…I’ve got a bridge in my back yard to sell you.

Some sports are 100% fixed. Basketball would be the easiest one to fix. NFL big games are fixed. Pass interference called one play not called the next on pretty much the exact same play. Holding called on the opposite side of the field where the play happened.
I still love to watch sports but a lot of it is fixed.
Gamblers have ruined sports. Big money involved= fixing. Thanks to morons like @SacramentoKat and the stupid going large B.S. And no I don't believe any of his stupid bets. He starts those threads for attention only. But there are plenty of fools out there who do GO LARGE. Thanks for ruining sports idiots.

People love conspiracy theories. It's much more fun and have earned the ones in media who like to promote them a lot of money.
The world is a random place, and the thought that the bad things that happen are orchestrated by people behind a curtain is comforting in a way.

The world is a random place, and the thought that the bad things that happen are orchestrated by people behind a curtain is comforting in a way.
A conspiracy is only a conspiracy until its proven. Now, that being said, some are more wacky than others.

Like, lizard people. Although Zuck has me wondering at times.

• Haha
Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
`A few years ago my niece, who was about 8 at the time, guaranteed me that everything on tv except wrestling was fake.

Some portion of college basketball is certainly fixed. Specifically, during the NCAA tourney because of the massive amount of money that is bet on those games.
But, until refs are ALL employed by the NCAA and held accountable for their work, you are going to continue to see uneven calls and no consistency whatsoever.

Some portion of college basketball is certainly fixed. Specifically, during the NCAA tourney because of the massive amount of money that is bet on those games.
But, until refs are ALL employed by the NCAA and held accountable for their work, you are going to continue to see uneven calls and no consistency whatsoever.
Also big TV games. Gotta keep people tuned in as well. Viewers sure help with advertising money and getting them bang for their buck.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0

You aren't wrong. Refs control the score. Definitely by how much the game is won by, maybe not who wins

None is fixed, and Damar Hamlin is alive. Why does everything have to be some big conspiracy?

Most conspiracy theories are students of history and realize that the people running our government and businesses have the same capacity for evil and corruption as the folks we learned about in history class.

Governments, whether they preside over a country or money-making business, have always been corrupt. I find it far stranger if you aren’t a conspiracy theorist and just blindly believe everything you’re told from this in charge. Find me one society in human history where that has worked out long term.

Just one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT