ADVERTISEMENT

How good is Onyenso?

His shot blocking is right there with Noel and AD.. and he has a decent touch around the rim and with a mid range game.

But the problem I saw last night was het got beat a TON for rebounds. Now maybe if your speciality is blocks, you might miss some rebounds.. but we do need him to get better there. If he can do that, he might turn into one of the bigger post presences we've had in a while. Been quite some time since we've had a shot blocker of his caliber.

His shot blocking is right there with Noel and AD.. and he has a decent touch around the rim and with a mid range game.

But the problem I saw last night was het got beat a TON for rebounds. Now maybe if your speciality is blocks, you might miss some rebounds.. but we do need him to get better there. If he can do that, he might turn into one of the bigger post presences we've had in a while. Been quite some time since we've had a shot blocker of his caliber.
A great shot blocker is the key to Cal's teams on the defenisve side of the ball. He thought Daimion Collins would be that. He wasn't. Looks like Onyenso is turning into that.

I don’t think he’s on AD level with blocks, numbers might say otherwise but AD never ever ever jumped unless a shot was going up. Little O bites a lot.

I don’t think he’s on AD level with blocks, numbers might say otherwise but AD never ever ever jumped unless a shot was going up. Little O bites a lot.
AD has top 10 PF/C of all time level blocking instincts/timing. Ugo does not. And thats no knock on him. Very few players in the history of basketball have blocking talent like AD.

I guess more his potential, and with some more reps. He DID break ADs record of blocks at Rupp. So the talent is there. I think he *could* be the on the level if AD at the rate he's going, I should have said.

I don't think we've seen the full potential of Ugo.

I only watched the second half but every time I saw him battling for rebounds, he was swamped by two or more Pearlites. Still came away with an impressive rebound late-ish in the second.

Agree he needs to work on it but I think he has the timing and ability if he continues getting stronger and tougher. Should come together like the rest of his game.

He's definitely coming into his own these last several games. His shot blocking is elite already. His offense is coming along. He's giving us what we need right now. We have offense all around him, which makes his offense less important. I never would have believed he would be starting at this point, but he's getting it done.

I only watched the second half but every time I saw him battling for rebounds, he was swamped by two or more Pearlites. Still came away with an impressive rebound late-ish in the second.

Agree he needs to work on it but I think he has the timing and ability if he continues getting stronger and tougher. Should come together like the rest of his game.

That is true. It can't be easy to rebound against thug ball, on the road, against an already pretty good team.

Weirdly enough, it seems to be the low rebounds that we're tough for him. The ones beneath his waist. I saw a few of those get out of his reach or him not being able to secure them.

He's not bad at rebounding by any means. It's just an area for improvement. Nose for the ball, not getting pushed around as much, etc.

If Ugo can get us 8 to 10 rebounds the rest of the way? We're in real good shape. Watch what our defensive statistics do with him as a proven shot blocker AND getting better at rebounds. We already jumped almost 50 spots in just two games.

A great shot blocker is the key to Cal's teams on the defenisve side of the ball. He thought Daimion Collins would be that. He wasn't. Looks like Onyenso is turning into that.
That block he had in the first half when the camera angle was at the basket looking back. That was all ball and wasn't even close. Of course when Dilly slipped and they called Broome for the foul I thought it was hysterical so we are even

I think he’s the third best shot blocker we’ve had under Cal. I would go Nerlens/AD as 1/2.

His ability to avoid foul trouble and stay on the court last night might have been the key to the win.

Obviously very raw offensively, and sometimes displays hands of stone, but he can do just enough on offense to keep defenses honest. I thought the mid-range jumper he hit early last night set a great tone.

I’m wondering how high is his ceiling with more court time. Can he become consistent?

Don’t want to see any more Gonzaga type games. They put him in the pick & roll. Auburn did not.

Will say 36 minutes was surprising and he battled last night and was a big positive factor.

All of our players do, but they seemed to do a better job of staying home last night. So clearly it is finally being emphasized in practice. I think Ugo did a good job last night. AD had unreal quickness for someone his size and had an uncanny ability to know when to leave his feet if at all.

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
He is easily the strongest big man we have which isn’t saying much but they get pushed under the basket…by guards. He is more solid. Love the shot blocking and that should allow guys comfort to get out on shooters. Really if ugo could just work on his hands he would be on another levels. Most of the season he has struggled to catch a lot of balls whether passes or rebounds.

You could see his potential last year in limited time he got.

Specifically, against Michigan and at Alabama.

I remember him standing out to a degree in both games. He held is own against HD and in the Bama game I'm pretty sure he was the only + guy on the team in +/-.

He is a legit shot blocker and has excellent instincts.

He had 11 rebounds and two blocks last night.

He had 11 rebounds and two blocks last night.

I think that's a little deceiving as Auburn was putting up brick after brick from deep, almost like the game plan was to not try and beat us in the paint with Ugo, and instead make the 3ball work.

11 and 2 would say that Ugo is an elite rebounder and not a shot blocker really at all, but we know that's not the case. Right now he's averaging 5 and 3, so last night wasn't the norm for him. But hey, maybe this is the type of rebounding we can expect from him going forward. Certainly possible, maybe even probable. It has to be nice to play your game without wondering when the coach might yank you out (probably reason #47 of not having your lineups set).

Last edited:
My only gripe is that he's got to be more careful when he blocks shots...refs tend to call a foul if there is any contact with the hands or arms. Some refs allow a little contact on a block but many are just too sensitive.

Reactions: RunninRichie
That is true. It can't be easy to rebound against thug ball, on the road, against an already pretty good team.

Weirdly enough, it seems to be the low rebounds that we're tough for him. The ones beneath his waist. I saw a few of those get out of his reach or him not being able to secure them.

He's not bad at rebounding by any means. It's just an area for improvement. Nose for the ball, not getting pushed around as much, etc.

If Ugo can get us 8 to 10 rebounds the rest of the way? We're in real good shape. Watch what our defensive statistics do with him as a proven shot blocker AND getting better at rebounds. We already jumped almost 50 spots in just two games.
I agree for the most part, but with him going after blocks, our other players MUST rotate better!!! I saw our other kids watch the ball and NOT get a body on an opposing player too often when Ugo went after a shot to block it. Reeves, Wagner and Edwards are the worst for it. When Ugo blocks a shot or leaves his man to defend the rim, our kids still need A LOT of work on being in the right spot once Ugo does his thing.

Ugo for the most part isn't the problem, it's the poor rotations from everyone else.

Ugo's biggest improvement has been his hands on both ends. He can catch the ball now much better. Sure he will lose some balls like the ones you mentioned below his waist, but I am THRILLED with where he is now and where he could still be in another month!!!

Ugo is beginning to get comfortable playing collegiate basketball and his best is yet to come.

I’m hoping (and expecting) by March he’ll really be peaking.

Looks like some of you are coming around to what I was saying last summer.
Onyenso is a better shot blocker than Richards and WCS. He is right there with AD and Noel. Actually this year he is blocking at a higher rate than AD and Noel did.
And yes he has a nice shot out to 15’, I’m surprised his FTs not been better.
But no, he is not DPY, not even for SEC.

So I was right about Onyenso, and Theiro and Bradshaw. Unfortunately I was wrong on Edwards, although he is slowly improving.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT