ADVERTISEMENT

How does Roy get his guys to stay?

I actually think that Cal has kinda transitioned away from a complete OAD model. This 2017 class includes several 5 stars, but none of of them are considered sure fire OAD. Then you mix in sure fire OAD's like Bamba or Knox and you have an excellent team. I actually think that the 2019 season is setting up to be 2015 esque with who we could have returning , plus adding the 2018 class.

Don't think so. The 2017 class is a down class overall. Another chink in the OAD armor.

Unc trolls seem to like our board today , wish some would attempt to give an attempt at an honest answer

Reactions: Heeelz46
I don't usually do this but I keep hearing all the UNC cheats crap. You guys are pretty self righteous considering you have Bills "N" Mills and the Eric Manuel stories in your slipstream.

Yes. Those were nearly 30 years ago and we paid for our sins in the form of loss of scholarships and a two-year postseason ban. UNC is currently under investigation. Surely, you know the difference.

There is nothing holier than thou at all... we were penalized , we took it , and they have skated . So get real here .

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Cal recruits specifically for draft night. That is his lead pitch.

I don't know that Roy leads with draft night. I think he probably leads with "daggum UNC...daggum ACC...daggum ESPN loves us...daggum MJ...daggum Jordan Brand...daggum easy classes"

Cal likes to say "i don't force anyone to stay", and I think Roy's philosophy is " I'm not going to force anyone to go".

I think the culture Cal has created puts kids on the clock, and they feel from the minute they step on campus that they need to be pro bound in less than a year, two years max/worst case scenario.

If you could get in the mind of Roy, I think you would see that his vision for UNC basketball is winning more titles than Dean and K. NBA ballers are the cherry on top.

Cal's vision involves stocking the league which he claims will pay dividends in the future. In addition, he seems like he wants to change the game on this level and how we approach amateur sports, young athletes, our expectations of them, and what we view as successful. Titles are the cherry on top.

I don't know if either is right, wrong, or better than the other. Just two different cultures, styles, and philosophies.

Reactions: tarh33ls
This is about the only explanation you really need, folks.

I know some here want to blame it on evil Roy's nefarious ways, but the truth is the No. 1 reason is that Roy simply has not been landing nearly as many recruits that scouts regard as one and done caliber prospects.

He does land a lot of five stars ranked around that 10 to 30 range, but except perhaps for Harrison Barnes, he's not been getting those best of the best No. 1-at-their-position super-recruit type guys that Cal specializes in.

This is basically it. Cal recruits better. Barnes is a peculiar kid, anyone who has met him knows he's sort of an older man in a young guy's body, he had a good chance at a championship and wanted to go for it for one season. Roy recruits highly ranked players who are good/great college players. Cal recruits guys who will be great in the NBA but some are projects like Skal. High ceiling guys who are very raw and it doesn't all come together in one collegiate season.

Also, Cal has created the aura of one and done at your school whether you guys agree or disagree. There is an immense amount of pressure to go to the league because everyone else on the team is doing it and because he's recruiting new studs at your position. If you don't leave you're almost considered the outlier or the failure of the group. He does an amazing job building these one year groups and coaching them up but you need a mixture of that amazing talent and some experienced talent. However, he also likes to promote the NBA draft a lot and his comments on the draft add to the pressure on your kids to leave early because Kentucky is now viewed as the best place to go in order to be OAD. If the kids don't go early it almost ruins Cal's credibility because it's a major selling point of his.

ADVERTISEMENT