ADVERTISEMENT

How do you watch games in March?

Jul 3, 2020
My wife invited some family got invited over to watch the 1st round games this March. To give my wife the benefit of the doubt, she hasn't really witnessed "Kentucky basketball" in March yet, so she doesn't know the anxiety of this at that level yet.

I'm dreading "the talk" thats about to go down where I have to inform her:
"we watch these games alone, in darkness, with only a select few [die hard UK fans] being invited over. And those select few will likely decline as they would rather watch the games alone themselves."

The nervous pacing back and forward, the anxiety. But some people dont get it and think you are rude when you decline to watch the games with them.

How do you watch the games in March when they matter (unlike the last few years when we've sucked).

I’m the same, I prefer to watch alone. Simply because I tend to act like an idiot during the games. My wife has been around quite a few years now and she will either go in another room or go shopping if it’s an early game. I’m probably the least enjoyable person on the planet to watch a game with, so I understand her decisions 😂

Alone. I get angry if I'm watching the game with someone who obviously doesn't understand the importance of the moment. I used to yell and get angry. As I've gotten older, I usually just sit quietly and fume if we're playing bad.

Alone, pacing in the dark. If it gets bad I go radio only. I do better since I’ve had kids but I’m honestly not sure how well I’d handle a deep march run.

Just last night I was thinking about how much time passed since sweating out Notre Dame in 2015. Feels like a lifetime ago in some ways, yesterday in others.

With my son on the projector. When UK isn’t playing, we’ll be using multi view on YouTubetv to watch all the games simultaneously.
I’m excited for my boy to get older so I can let him be the one stressed about it. Watching me seemed to help dad relax about it lol.

• Haha
Reactions: BigTyrone
When I lived in KY it was usually with my dad, mom, and my buddy. Now I live in CO and I watch alone, sometimes with my gf. She is still confused that I refuse to watch games out in public ha.

Reactions: Greatestalltime
My wife invited some family got invited over to watch the 1st round games this March. To give my wife the benefit of the doubt, she hasn't really witnessed "Kentucky basketball" in March yet, so she doesn't know the anxiety of this at that level yet.

"we watch these games alone, in darkness, with only a select few [die hard UK fans] being invited over. And those select few will likely decline as they would rather watch the games alone themselves."

The nervous pacing back and forward, the anxiety. But some people dont get it and think you are rude when you decline to watch the games with them.

How do you watch the games in March when they matter (unlike the last few years when we've sucked).
Not just March, but I have to watch every game alone. I go down to my basement, shut the door behind, go to my man cave, and fire up the projector. Leave the wife and kids behind upstairs (they're not from Kentucky so don't really get it). I have my solitude to yell and scream to my heart's content and I take full advantage. LOL I've learned to keep my remote and any drinks out of reach as they are prone to get chucked at some point. I usually end up standing most of the time and watching the game.

It's going to suck but for our potential Sweet 16 game I may be away on vacation. Just hoping it ends up being that Fri. night as I should be home and be able to watch. Otherwise, I'm going to have to find a bar where we are I guess and watch with others.

Your first mistake was involving your wife in this matter.

I don't do a whole lot in my personal life. I WFH, I don't travel really, I'm pretty much always around my family. But those first two days of the tournament, I have taken off of work for the last 15 years and I am GONE for those 48 hours. March Madness might as well be an out of town business trip I'm on. Don't schedule birthdays, dinners, anything on those days, because I won't be here for it.

Those two days will always be for me. I have my March Madness draft the night before, and then I go to my favorite local sports bar at 11:30am both days, and I don't leave until the last game is over.

This year on a cruise ship.

Calipari has lessened my expectations so much I booked a vacation the week of sec tourney and first round of ncaa tourney.

I'll watch games in the bars, including UK. I'm at the darkest levels of apathy so I won't freak out like some when we inevitably lose.

I'll find some way to watch all the early games. Those first 2 days are maybe the best sports viewing of the year. I have YouTube TV and I'm logged in to the app on multiple devices at home and at the office. YouTube multi-view is perfect for those early game days. I remember when I could only watch whatever game my local CBS station was showing, and it was very irritating at times.

Reactions: gharding07
With people no doubt. Alone is just more boring. But they have to be people who are paying attention to the games and not just talking about everything else.

With people no doubt. Alone is just more boring. But they have to be people who are paying attention to the games and not just talking about everything else.
Yep, people sitting around me just chit-chatting irritates me when I'm watching games, and it's infuriating when it's UK. Just go talk somewhere else! Haha! The only time I'm ever mean in my life is when someone interrupts me watching UK. And it's worse if UK is losing and I'm disturbed by others. 🤣

Alone or with my son. Definitely not a sports bar or party setting.

I find this always interesting to me, because there's a lot of people who feel the way you do about watching at home.

But when there's 4 games on at once, even a picture in picture, or having two TVs, just doesn't cut it. I felt like this is the one sporting event that lends itself to going out for. A lot of folks cut out of work for it or take a long lunch at their local spot to watch. Every thing else, be it superbowls, or world series, I prefer to watch at home.

But when you got 32 games spread over just two days, I can't imagine trying to watch this at home. So much action going on at once that I need a ton of tvs to catch it all.

The bar bill kind of sucks though lol. It always runs me a good 3 to $400.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I usually watch Kentucky games at home. My wife will be there doing something else, usually with headphones on as I do tend to get a little riled up/upset during games. :) With the latest come from behind victory, she was on her phone shopping, had headphones on, etc. and our cats and dog were all sleeping; when Kentucky finally took the lead, I got a little loud and woke up all of the animals and my wife heard me over her headphones. :)

This year I will have a Projector showing the main game then will have 2nd game on large screen TV and 3rd game on smaller TV. With my brother and friends. I will the ability to do a 4th if need be but most times the most you have is 3 games at a time.

Will have food and such. I am off the Thursday/Friday and following monday of that first week of action. Hopefully we make it to week 2 this year. But no matter we will have fun either way.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
This year I will have a Projector showing the main game then will have 2nd game on large screen TV and 3rd game on smaller TV. With my brother and friends. I will the ability to do a 4th if need be but most times the most you have is 3 games at a time.

Will have food and such. I am off the Thursday/Friday and following monday of that first week of action. Hopefully we make it to week 2 this year. But no matter we will have fun either way.
What kind of projector/screen do you have? I've got a Sony laser projector paired with a 110" screen from Screen Innovations. I absolutely love both. I just stand in front of the screen and watch the game. I feel like I'm right there.

Yep, I've never had the projector before, but I've had 3 TVs in the room multiple times. Gotta love some March Madness. And it's SO much better when UK is good! :D

I also think March Madness has a bit of an interactive fan experience with filling out the brackets. Half the fun is ripping people over their picks and gloating about the 12-seed you called beating the 5-seed.

It's the best sporting event by a country mile.

After my wife invited her family over for the 2015 Wisconsin game, I’ve vowed to never watch a tournament game Kentucky might lose with other people. I broke that rule with St Peter’s thinking there was no way we lose that one but I was mistaken :(

Never again. Im too much of a psycho in big games, and it goes to a whole nother level in the tournament. I really don’t want to see the last of Reeves, Dillingham, and Sheppard so our last loss is really going to sting

Reactions: mcwildcats04
Watch until we get down by 6-8 in the first 5 min. Turn the TV off and jump in the pool. Check the score on the phone every 10 min. If we are leading go back in and watch until we give up the lead again. back to the pool.....

Watch until we get down by 6-8 in the first 5 min. Turn the TV off and jump in the pool. Check the score on the phone every 10 min. If we are leading go back in and watch until we give up the lead again. back to the pool.....
I've turned the TV off and walked away more times than I care to admit this year. Think I did it twice in the Arkansas game alone. Haha I walk away and keep up with the score online and turn it back on if things improve.

Reactions: triadaz
I definitely prefer to watch the games alone, no matter what time of season. Especially in March though. I’ve been telling my wife all season “you gotta watch these guys, they are really fun to watch”. She watched the game with me Saturday, she was quiet, she didn’t put on an act like she was really into it all the sudden, didn’t ask stupid questions. She just let me watch and would kinda smirk and shake her head when I’d get fired up. She did everything right. I was still annoyed the entire time and stopped myself at least 10 times from asking her to go upstairs.

I stopped watching UK live in the tournament several years back. I watch the gamecast (play by play) on my phone. If we win, I watch the replay. Been doing it this way since 2014. I’ll happily watch all the other tournament games, just not the Cats.

There are a trusted few. However, nothing wears me thin like going to a get together to watch the game and some person there wanting to talk about everything else. I've been known to silently depart. I don't care about the weather, taxes, your mom's health, my mom's health, the news, politics, religion, or how you made any fabulous meal while i am trying to watch the game. Also, anyone offended by cursing need not hang around me.

I have a text circle with my brother and old friend that's pretty hilarious, and never diverts from the real, live game action. Frankly, that's enough for me.

Last edited:
I stopped watching UK live in the tournament several years back. I watch the gamecast (play by play) on my phone. If we win, I watch the replay. Been doing it this way since 2014. I’ll happily watch all the other tournament games, just not the Cats.
And we haven't won it all since 2012. Please stop.

Definitely not a sports bar or party setting.
Depends on the bar. I'm definitely someone who would rather watch UK tournament games alone. But in 2014 I watched the Elite 8 game against Michigan at Jack Dempsey's, the UK bar in Manhattan, and it was awesome. Packed to the brim with UK fans.

You need to tactfully explain to her that you greatly appreciate the thought and effort of trying to take interest in something you care about. But Kentucky games in March Madness can be too anxiety inducing to have ppl over who don’t care as much as you want to be locked in to every play and not casually watching w ppl talking all around. And that you don’t want to ruin her event if they were to lose and now you’re in a disgruntled mood and not wanting to socialize with ppl.

She likely is just treating it like a Super Bowl Party concept but 98% of viewers of the SB don’t care about either team in….its different.

Suggest that if she wants to have a fun event…pitch it as a March Madness kickoff Pre-Gaming. If we don’t play until night, then have a 4 split screen with random games on in the back…do all the hoopla and eat but party ends before UKs tipoff bc that’s get serious time. Or (my alternate pitch if it was me) do the party for the play-in games. You can casually grill out etc and watch’s the games and play drinking games etc. end it with a $5-10 bracket pool for the ppl that’s there and fill out paperbrackets now that you know the playin teams. That allows a March Madness social event so your wife can feel like she’s hosting and appreciated…and lets you have the UK games as your own high stress private events.

Basically you need to gently explain that unless they are going to be as mad, upset, hurt, dejected as you are going to be if a Loss happens….then you don’t want to watch March UK games with them…make it about protecting her social event and not about you “not being appreciative” as she’d flip it back

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT