ADVERTISEMENT

How different singers measure up

Feb 9, 2011
Pretty interesting.

I assumed SRV, Jack Bruce and Bob Marley were all 6 feet. I would guess Jeff Lynne and Jimi Hendrix at 6' 2". Little Richard taller than I expected.

Paul Simon to Joey Ramone to Ray Benson.

When I first posted this it cut off at Joey Ramone. I had to rewatch it. I was going to say they left out the lead singer of Midnight Oil but when I re-watched it there he was at 6'4". I would have bet every dollar I have, so like 14, that James Taylor was under 6 ft tall. It blows me away that he's 6'3". I'm somewhere between Roger Waters, Johnny Cash and Robert Plant. When I was younger, I was closer to Waters.

Last edited:
Would it be a stretch to suggest that many of these famous singers/performers were pipsqueak nerds who either were completely ignored or assaulted daily in their teen years and, as a result, turned to developing their talent 'to show them'?

I mean Paul Simon, Steve Perry (and many others) are TINY. Can't imagine middle school and high school were much fun for them. Thus, stay in the bedroom and practice singing, playing, composing.

Just a theory.

The thought that my short ass would be looking DOWN at James Brown is mind boggling.

I knew Paul Simon was little, but holy crap.

I can't remember the name of the band or singer, but I saw a band open for Johnny Winter in Knoxville back in the early 90s that had a singer who had to be 6'10+ and maybe 200 lbs. He came out in a tweed suit and a red bowtie with some Cousin Eddie loafers. He was goofy as hell going across the stage trying to move like Jagger, but he actually had a decent voice.

Interesting, I guess that the post war British diet didn't fuel a generation of tall men. They were still rationing meat, milk, cheese and bread until 1953-54.

Last edited:
Interesting, I guess that the post war British diet didn't fuel a generation of tall men. They were still rationing meat, milk, cheese and bread until 1953-54.
Nor fat people. I can't think of a single British performer from that generation that was overweight. Maybe Chas Chandler of The Animals. And to this day, folks like Jagger and McCartney look like they weigh the same as they did a half-century ago. How many guys from my generation here in the US can say the same? Most have packed on the poundage.

Reactions: DSmith21
^ I've put on about 1#/yr since I was 22. 188# + 52 is about right on the money.

I understand dong length is inversely proportional to height. No wonder I'm so short.

Nor fat people. I can't think of a single British performer from that generation that was overweight. Maybe Chas Chandler of The Animals. And to this day, folks like Jagger and McCartney look like they weigh the same as they did a half-century ago. How many guys from my generation here in the US can say the same? Most have packed on the poundage.
Elton John (born 1947) is the only one of that generation of British rockers that I can think of who got fat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT