ADVERTISEMENT

How Can You Possibly Defend Calipari?

Let's see. Rick Pitino had taken Providence College to a Final Four and was the head coach of the New York Knicks when he was hired. Pretty sure his "name" was out there.

Let's see. John Calipari took UMass to a Final Four and would have won the title that year if not for UK having an all-time great team. He then was one shot away from a title at Memphis. Pretty sure this qualifies him as one of the elite coaches prior to being graced to be in the presence of the Kentucky fan base.
Since when does just getting to a final four qualify you? You idiots keep telling me that we HAVE to find a guy "that can equal what John Calipari has done". Well, Pitino didn't, Tubby didn't, Hall didn't, Calipari didn't and isn't.
At this point, Cal isn't matching Cal from 2009 - 2015.

From 2016 through 2021, he has been average at best, especially when you figure in the resources he has and the talent he has been getting. In fact, he should be embarrassed.

Now, I'm not saying Beard is a guy I would want, but he went to the title game just 2 years ago. But y'all say he's not good enough, even though he is a better coach than Cal is. Just remember, UK made Cal who he is, not the other way around.

Truth is, you need a guy with experience and a great personality for recuiting. That's all Cal is. He's no basketball mastermind, all he is is a guy with a charasmatic personality and he HAD a great portfolio, with the exception of the 2 vacated final fours.

He won because he recruited transcendent talent. Well look at him now. Look at what he is bringing in and look at all the kids jumping ship instead if staying in the program.

You'll figure it out someday. Right now, you're another new poster that is still learning.

For 1, Cal can't be fired. 2, it's a 60 million dollar buyout, that ain't gonna happen and 3, Cal ain't changing squat. No way, no how. So all we can do, is hate the guy.

Also, it's not about what I am feeling "right now". I'm not freaking 12 years old. I fell off that John Calipari band wagon 2 years ago when I could no longer deny that he cares more about the draft than UK and that he is going to continue to do that at least until he takes UK to rock bottom. Are you ready for that?
Just because we can't fire him, doesn't mean I have to like him. He will never sniff a final four again until he stops the massive roster turnover. That talent ain't coming here any longer.
Lets not forget, his offense is something else that needs to change… .but it won't.
Right on. Well man Godspeed. I hope find a new hobby or something and kill it. Go cats

I thot the defense looked a little better as well. But let’s be honest, U6 is not exactly an offensive juggernaut. So it’s not clear if there was REAL improvement.

Good perspective. Better footwork, less reaching, more deflections. With this bunch you take what you can get.

Ok Dr. Naismith. Let’s have it. “Interference in passing lanes”. 😂😂😂 “improved footwork”. Enlighten us on how that manifests itself in basketball game. Improved footwork would typically mean better shooting or being better on the defensive end. Neither of those are true. I assume by “interference in passing lanes” you mean denying the wings or getting deflections and steals. That is not true either. You sir are an idiot. 😂😂. Or perhaps a really committed cheerleader.

No point in trying to discuss this with you. Quite embarrassing to have someone in the fanbase who’s perspective is so simplistic. Let me summarize your logic. Oh, They lose. Ugh, loss bad. Grunt.

Is saying that people don’t know basketball the best you can do? You can’t even defend this. Quit resorting to personal attacks and actually talk basketball. By the way, the numbers he was referring to are still important. 34% shooting is still not good. 29% from 3 is still terrible. 1-6 with 6 straight losses is still bad.

Didnt say they weren’t important. I was discussing why the numbers are that way and what’s needed to improve them. Quoting shooting percentages is essentially useless if you don’t have a strategy to improve it. We’re short on fundamentals. I saw a bit of improvement there. That’s not a moral victory, that’s improvement. We have to have more improvement so you can see a difference in the very simplistic stats like shooting percentage.

No point in trying to discuss this with you. Quite embarrassing to have someone in the fanbase who’s perspective is so simplistic. Let me summarize your logic. Oh, They lose. Ugh, loss bad. Grunt.

Great response from someone who can’t discuss the finer points of the game. Plus you didn’t offer any of your great insight from those fantastic points you made in the previous post. 😂😂. You’re a zero.

The “wait till March!” crew will transition to accepting this is a terrible season, but now will just change it to “he’s entitled to one bad season!”

Wait for it.

Of course they will. They have zero expectations for titles. It's enough to contend for a title, and "contention" is always in the eyes of beholder.

Reactions: UKNC89
You can’t defend him. But he won’t get fired. Too much money for one and with COVID going on, it just won’t happen. Just make sure we have boos and boycotts ready for next year if things go south next year.

Great response from someone who can’t discuss the finer points of the game. Plus you didn’t offer any of your great insight from those fantastic points you made in the previous post. 😂😂. You’re a zero.
He said he saw improvements and we need more improvements. Oh, and better fundamentals. That’s more than he usually says however.

Since when does just getting to a final four qualify you? You idiots keep telling me that we HAVE to find a guy "that can equal what John Calipari has done". Well, Pitino didn't, Tubby didn't, Hall didn't, Calipari didn't and isn't.

From 2016 through 2021, he has been average at best, especially when you figure in the resources he has and the talent he has been getting. In fact, he should be embarrassed.

Now, I'm not saying Beard is a guy I would want, but he went to the title game just 2 years ago. But y'all say he's not good enough, even though he is a better coach than Cal is. Just remember, UK made Cal who he is, not the other way around.

Truth is, you need a guy with experience and a great personality for recuiting. That's all Cal is. He's no basketball mastermind, all he is is a guy with a charasmatic personality and he HAD a great portfolio, with the exception of the 2 vacated final fours.

He won because he recruited transcendent talent. Well look at him now. Look at what he is bringing in and look at all the kids jumping ship instead if staying in the program.

You'll figure it out someday. Right now, you're another new poster that is still learning.

John V. Calipari.

Who coached 9 max contract NBA players since Derrick Rose and only has one title to show for it.

John V. Calipari.

Seller of NBA 1st and UK 2nd.

John V. Calipari.

Promoter of all-things NBA and "chasing dreams" and premature departures.

John V. Calipari.

Whose kingdom is collapsing.

Who will weep for King John as he's led to the scaffold?

Cal took UK to 4 FFs (including a title, a runner up and had another FF team 38-0) in 5 years (2011-2015). No other coach in UK history can say that. Not Rupp, not Pitino no one but Cal.

Better think about it before you guys run this one off.

Doh. Shooting percentage, bad. Doh.

There. That should make you happy.

Maybe you misread or skipped all but what your wanted to see in the post. Let me bring you back In..... D1 basketball is a different landscape today than it was 40,50, 60, 70 years ago in the examples you used. Not only is D1 sports and entirely different animal today than when those guys were hired, Kentucky is 10 times the size and a machine that didn’t exist half a century ago.
Nice goalpost shift. “UK doesn’t hire up and comers!”
*lists legendary coaches that came from nothing*
“well, the college basketball landscape is different!”

John V. Calipari.

Who coached 9 max contract NBA players since Derrick Rose and only has one title to show for it.

John V. Calipari.

Seller of NBA 1st and UK 2nd.

John V. Calipari.

Promoter of all-things NBA and "chasing dreams" and premature departures.

John V. Calipari.

Whose kingdom is collapsing.

Who will weep for King John as he's led to the scaffold?
Well, the only question at this point is, how far does the collapse have to go for JC to stop the NBA bullshit?

Cal took UK to 4 FFs (including a title, a runner up and had another FF team 38-0) in 5 years (2011-2015). No other coach in UK history can say that. Not Rupp, not Pitino no one but Cal.

Cal hasnt been to a FF in going on 6 yrs at UK and to compound matters he is 1-6 this season and currently on a 6 gm losing streak.

The pressure to reload rosters with one and done recruits every year is unrealistic and has burnt him out.

Thanks for 2012 Coach but its time to ride off into the sunset.

Kentucky should never ever lose 6 in a row in college basketball.

Its unacceptable and you sir are to blame.

Reactions: UKortho and kyjeff1

What if I told you he will never duplicate 2010 through 2015 again?
What if I told you he will end up with multiple NIT trips and top out at the Elite 8 the rest of his career?
No, I can't tell the future, but it's the trend he is on and with the best players going straight to the NBA, he will never see the transcendent players that he had on every one of his FF teams.
Cal has never won anything noteworthy without top end talent, so keep that in mind.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
What if I told you he will never duplicate 2010 through 2015 again?
What if I told you he will end up with multiple NIT trips and top out at the Elite 8 the rest of his career?
No, I can't tell the future, but it's the trend he is on and with the best players going straight to the NBA, he will never see the transcendent players that he had on every one of his FF teams.
Cal has never won anything noteworthy without top end talent, so keep that in mind.
to be fair, Cal had one 4 star (Camby) on his 1996 final four team at UMASS

Your last statement is illogical because it places the responsibility for this desecration of UK basketball upon the fan base. That's nothing short of basketball heresy on your part.

Let's try again.

Cal has now had four players quit on the team at some point in the middle of the season over the last three seasons. That's Tubby-level defection and strife.

He's lost guys like Diallo, Vanderbilt, Gabriel, Skal, Dakari Johnson, Humphries, Briscoe, Hagans, and Montgomery to the draft. He's even endorsed them leaving the program early. Each. One. Of. Them.

In 7 of his 9 tournament losses at UK, he was favored to win the game. In two of those games - Auburn, Kansas State - there was a wide-open path to a title game appearance awaiting him. Even when facing those teams with injured players, he managed to lose. It should be noted that WVU in 2010 also was without one of its best players. Cal lost that game, too.

He's lost approximately 70% of his head-to-head recruiting battles against Coach K since 2014. He lost approximately 80% of the head-to-head battles against Coach K for top 10 players. He's lost virtually ALL of his head-to-head recruiting battles against Coach K for top 5 players since 2014.

He's going to be the first UK coach in over 25 years to give up the all-time wins lead.

He made us suffer through his woke BS all summer, while we were talked down to and condescended to in his cries for contrived racial harmony and mask wearing.

And now he, not us, is responsible for the worst UK start since 19 freaking 26.

We're not running anyone off. He's running himself off.

The offense seems to be predicated upon assuming guys can create their own space and get their shot or penatrate. We've got guys who can finish at the rim, but can't create, space, and guys who can get open and shoot or drive but can't hit the broadside of a barn. Meanwhile, not a single damn one of them seems to understand how to facilitate the bigs down low, and NONE of them seem to grasp the need for motion when on offense. It's all just high ball screens and go. JFC. Let's see some crosses underneath or something. Anything.

How many “screens” actually make contact with a defender? That’s always driven me nuts about Cal’s teams, hardly any screens serve a purpose, they’re just wasted movements.

He won because he is a Hall of Fame coach and one of the best in the game. And frankly a bunch of losers on a message board aren't qualified to judge his coaching ability.

• Haha
Shouldn’t be hard to hire a coach who gets better results than 1-6. He’ll billy G didn’t even have that bad a record.

With this schedule and “talent”, I’d still be a little bummed if the record was 6-1! But 1-6? Speechless.
AGREED. This whole the schedule is too tough and really difficult crybaby shit is sickening. WE ARE UK they should be fearing us being on the schedule. When Cal added this to his excuses with we are young, I lost all respect. You scheduled it and recruited them so step up and own it.

He won because he is a Hall of Fame coach and one of the best in the game. And frankly a bunch of losers on a message board aren't qualified to judge his coaching ability.
No, he won because he simply recruited transcendent players.
He has 1 title, but has had more talent than anyone past or present that has ever coached the game.
He's in the HOF because he has been coaching for so long and I'll assure you, the fact that he is coaching UK is the biggest reason he is in the HOF.
UK makes coaches great, not the other way around.

You are obviously new here, so IDGAF what you think, but this is not acceptable at UK and you come across as a casual fan, so I don't expect you to understand.

No, he won because he simply recruited transcendent players.
He has 1 title, but has had more talent than anyone past or present that has ever coached the game.
He's in the HOF because he has been coaching for so long and I'll assure you, the fact that he is coaching UK is the biggest reason he is in the HOF.
UK makes coaches great, not the other way around.

You are obviously new here, so IDGAF what you think, but this is not acceptable at UK and you come across as a casual fan, so I don't expect you to understand.

I've been a member here since 2008 and know more about basketball than you'll ever know. John Calipari would be a Hall of Famer with or without UK. Kentucky is nothing more than the name on the front of a jersey. And it didn't make Billy Gillispie so great, did it?

Fact of the matter is that you are butthurt that your precious team is having one bad year. Suck it the F up and quit crying on a message board. You are not part of the team. You never have been part of the team. You never will be part of the team. It is strictly a form of entertainment. So go back to your miserable little life.

I've been a member here since 2008 and know more about basketball than you'll ever know. John Calipari would be a Hall of Famer with or without UK. Kentucky is nothing more than the name on the front of a jersey. And it didn't make Billy Gillispie so great, did it?

Fact of the matter is that you are butthurt that your precious team is having one bad year. Suck it the F up and quit crying on a message board. You are not part of the team. You never have been part of the team. You never will be part of the team. It is strictly a form of entertainment. So go back to your miserable little life.
Kentucky is nothing more then the name on a front of the jersey?

• Angry
Kentucky is nothing more then the name on a front of the jersey?

Correct...at the end of the day, it's nothing more than the name on the front of the jersey. A crap-ass coach like Gillispie couldn't win despite it being Kentucky. And a Hall of Fame coach like John Calipari will win at the same level he did at UMass and Memphis. And if it was more than the name on the front of a jersey then this year's team wouldn't be 1-6. Fan base doesn't coach games or win games. Former, retired and dead coaches don't coach games or win games. The players and coaches on the team win games.

Correct...at the end of the day, it's nothing more than the name on the front of the jersey. A crap-ass coach like Gillispie couldn't win despite it being Kentucky. And a Hall of Fame coach like John Calipari will win at the same level he did at UMass and Memphis. And if it was more than the name on the front of a jersey then this year's team wouldn't be 1-6. Fan base doesn't coach games or win games. Former, retired and dead coaches don't coach games or win games. The players and coaches on the team win games.
I debated on whether I would reply to this since you’ve been running around throwing out insults and causing trouble all over the board. Disrespecting the legacy of our program with that jersey comment tells me all I need to know about you. I notice you don’t post much. Do us all a favor and keep it that way.

I debated on whether I would reply to this since you’ve been running around throwing out insults and causing trouble all over the board. Disrespecting the legacy of our program with that jersey comment tells me all I need to know about you. I notice you don’t post much. Do us all a favor and keep it that way.

Nah, fam. I think I'll keep posting as much as I want. Thank you though.

And I'm just telling the truth. You want to talk about disrespecting the legacy of the Kentucky Basketball program (you never played and weren't part of it) then all you have to do is look at the current state of this board. There are "fans" here that seriously want to fire John Calipari. That's a bigger stain on the program than anything I'll ever post on here or anything that Cal will ever do to this program. The crazy ass fans...and every rational basketball fan knows this.

I’m just praying we work on footwork and interfering in passing lanes. 😂😂😂.

Me too. We got some turn overs like that against UL. Less foul trouble than in the game before due to better footwork. Less reaching.

Not to worry. I know you have quit on the team. Rest of us are trying to follow things as best we can. Maybe you can find other team to root for that has a shooting percentage that makes you happy.

Nah, fam. I think I'll keep posting as much as I want. Thank you though.

And I'm just telling the truth. You want to talk about disrespecting the legacy of the Kentucky Basketball program (you never played and weren't part of it) then all you have to do is look at the current state of this board. There are "fans" here that seriously want to fire John Calipari. That's a bigger stain on the program than anything I'll ever post on here or anything that Cal will ever do to this program. The crazy ass fans...and every rational basketball fan knows this.
What does it matter if I didn’t play for the program? That’s a childish and incredibly stupid comment. We’re all allowed to have our own opinions. If someone likes or dislikes Coach Cal thats their right to feel that way. If you wanna run around acting like an emotional teenager, go for it. Hell, keep posting then. Leave no doubt about what kind of person you are. You’re off to a good start with that already with the insults and smart aleck comments to people.

What does it matter if I didn’t play for the program? That’s a childish and incredibly stupid comment. We’re all allowed to have our own opinions. If someone likes or dislikes Coach Cal thats their right to feel that way. If you wanna run around acting like an emotional teenager, go for it. Hell, keep posting then. Leave no doubt about what kind of person you are. You’re off to a good start with that already with the insults and smart aleck comments to people.

Sorry if the truth hurts your feelings.

Sorry if the truth hurts your feelings.
Nope. I refuse to believe that Kentucky is just a “name on a jersey”. That’s not true and their isn’t a real fan on this site that will agree with your ignorance and disrespect of this program and it’s history. Please, do us all a favor... no one wants to read the bs you post. Lol

Reactions: kyjeff1
Nope. I refuse to believe that Kentucky is just a “name on a jersey”. That’s not true and their isn’t a real fan on this site that will agree with your ignorance and disrespect of this program and it’s history. Please, do us all a favor... no one wants to read the bs you post. Lol

Well the great part about this country is that I can post here all I want.

And apparently I need to educate you like I did the old guy in the other thread - it's "there"

Well the great part about this country is that I can't post here all I want.

And apparently I need to educate you like I did the old guy in the other thread - it's "there"
You can’t post here all you want? Lmao thanks for calling me out on grammar mistake, Mr. Einstein. Hahahaha

Reactions: RipThru
Well the great part about this country is that I can post here all I want.

Guess what, Einstein? People can see that you edited that post by looking at my reply to it earlier. Lmao

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT