ADVERTISEMENT

How bad do we beat Duke in Nov and who guards Flagg?

Caneintally, I'm not disputing your opinion on Flagg's basketball skills. But, I think you would be wrong 10 times out of 10 to take Flagg over Zion Williamson as a college freshman. Flagg may be a better individually skilled basketball player in every way possible, but Zion Williamson’s freakish, almost never seen before, combination of power and athleticism made it nearly impossible to match up with him in college. His explosiveness at his size was eye-popping. The issue is not skills or who is the better basketball player. The issue is impact on winning.

Williamson led Duke in almost every offensive category – points (23), FG% (68%), rebounds (9), steals (2), blocks (2), assists (2) – despite not really being a great basketball player.

Before our early game against them that season, I really thought PJ Washington (no slouch physically himself) could handle Williamson. Well, I watched that game live, and it was clear almost from the beginning that neither Washington or anybody else in college could match up physically with Williamson. He was like an Alabama defensive end who could move like Dominique Wilkins. Trying to contain his movement and keep him out of the lane and off the boards was impossible. It threw the whole defense off.

Back then I said that I didn’t think there was anyway his joints/body could hold up long-term to that kind of explosiveness at his weight – and I think that’s been proven to be an issue. But, on the other hand, his weight, and being able to do what he did at that weight, was a big part of the success I think.
I can see why someone would take Zion over Flagg in terms of college freshman BUT in terms of long term NBA I don't see how could take Zion. But It can't be argued that Zion straight bullied cbb his one year. Whereas I think Flagg will wow with skill and size moreso then bully. Yeah Zion will never amount to too much in the league for all the reasons you said above. He would need to lose 45 pounds and keep it off and we all know that ain't happening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT