ADVERTISEMENT

Honest question for Cal defenders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the last Final 4, everybody started cheating and buying players. Fox team got screwed obviously. Pj/Travis team was a few plays away. Maxey/Quickley team could have made a run, won the SEC by 3 games. Not even a huge Cal defender, it is just facts. I really don't think someone else could do a better job. Would have made the NCAAT if we played all of those usual cupcake games this year, and if Nerlens didn't tear his ACL. Look at the facts man, you sound really dramatic and spoiled.
Coulda, woulda, shoulda.
And neither was his fault, I know you lack intellect, but everyone knows that.

You are forgetting Cal got us to these level. UK basketball has not been on this level since Rupp. Why would we downgrade by hiring Musselman or Beard. That would set our program back 10 years. If and when Cal steps away, Stevens would be #1 on my list.
Pretty sure Pitino from 93-97 was full of great achievements

Seriously, who is better? Cal‘s method has proven to be with faults, but he will hopefully adjust.

I noticed you mentioned posters as crazy that wants Cal fired and they keep sowing division. Your novel means nothing because you refuse to address the handful of Cal supporters that go thread to thread hurling insults at those that expect better from our coach. So you did a lot of typing for naught. If you refuse to mention both sides, then this long post is nothing but a sunshine post, meant to divide even more.
You mean like you mention both sides? Laugh.

I have only glanced thru the thread but here is my take both before and after I read any of it. This season was so poor and Cal handled it so poorly on several fronts that anything close to a repeat of it should be cause enough for him to be gone no questions ask. The team was a joke this season, Cal was an even bigger joke because he showed no leadership or ability to address the many issues that confronted him

As for who we could get to replace him, just about anyone who ever coached for more than 2 years could have done as well as he did. Surely he can do a better job, if he can't he should be gone BCG, in a drunken stupor, could have done a better job than Cal did last year.

I was answering the OPs question and explaining why I felt that way. You know, staying on topic, or maybe you don't know. SO that post you live on about wanting Cal out of here. He isn't going anywhere so your 1000+ posts on just that one thread are for naught.
Deflect much?

How many more seasons does he get without making it back to the FF? We’re coming up on 7 straight without one

How many more seasons can he miss the NCAAT? He’s missed 2 of the last 9

Or does matter if he never makes the FF or NCAAT again? Your sticking with him no matter how bad it gets
Posts like this tell me your age. Count how many final fours and divide by how many years we have been playing ball and that will give you some idea how difficult it is getting to the Final Four. Cal is well above that pace...lol

Reactions: Graham51
Posts like this tell me your age. Count how many final fours and divide by how many years we have been playing ball and that will give you some idea how difficult it is getting to the Final Four. Cal is well above that pace...lol
Worst season in 100 years! Not one of the worst but the absolute WORST!!!!!

2 missed NCAAT’s and ONE championship with more pro caliber players than all the previous coaches combined!!!

LMAO, you told me not to put words in your mouth, then proceeded to tell my that I was the one that created the thread. Can't make this stuff up.

I simply answered your question, which is asked every time one of these threads comes up, but nobody likes it when I reply with "what was Cal's resume like in 2009 when he was offered the UK job?" You asked the question, I gave a thorough answer.

In fairness...he took two teams to final fours who had never been to a final four from weaker conferences.

He basically built the UMass program and rebuilt Memphis taking both to levels they'd never been before.

Age hell. Posts like this make me think you know nothing of UK basketball history. Up your game man. UK sucks these days. When it doesn’t, start posting again. Otherwise, you might want to refrain.

Since the last Final 4, everybody started cheating and buying players. Fox team got screwed obviously. Pj/Travis team was a few plays away. Maxey/Quickley team could have made a run, won the SEC by 3 games. Not even a huge Cal defender, it is just facts. I really don't think someone else could do a better job. Would have made the NCAAT if we played all of those usual cupcake games this year, and if Nerlens didn't tear his ACL. Look at the facts man, you sound really dramatic and spoiled.
Personally, I’m tired of the bullshit that comes along with Cal. We shouldn’t have to endure our teams being screwed by the powers that be because they don’t like Cal.

We will never win another title while he’s here. Even if we have a capable team, we won’t be allowed to. We’re spinning our wheels with Cal, as far as national titles are concerned. It is what it is.

I will! It should never happen at UK for a coach making $9 million per season and access to the best of everything!

And I know Cal isn’t going anywhere! We’re stuck with him and he’s washed up!

I don't think he is washed up. I think WWW leaving hurt, the multiple staff shakeups have hurt (questionable hires on Cal), the cheating crap hurt, we came up short some times lately where we didn't early in his tenure here.

I've said it a lot, it isn't an excuse, jmho...if you flip '11 and '14 FFs for '17 and '19 everyone is fine now. We could have easily lost EE in '11 and '14 and won in '17 and '19, but didn't in either case.

It is the optics of the past 5-6 years that bothers fans. I get it...but I don't think he is washed up.

We will see next year. Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
You know what’s really f'd up? Even if Cal misses the next 3 NCAA tournaments and gets fired, a portion of this fanbase and some of the media, will blame the BBN.
Not true. Only a small portion of the most vile portion of the fanbase that vomit bile and venom all over the program. You know the ones I mean Jeffy. This bunch tries to pretend they are part of the BBN but they have been exposed as quitter.

Reactions: Graham51
Not true. Only a small portion of the most vile portion of the fanbase that vomit bile and venom all over the program. You know the ones I mean Jeffy. This bunch tries to pretend they are part of the BBN but they have been exposed as quitter.
You’re the real quitter Bass. And your minions. You quit on the program and the University when you accepted mediocrity. Shame on you. Should never happen at a program like UK.

You’re the real quitter Bass. And your minions. You quit on the program and the University when you accepted mediocrity. Shame on you. Should never happen at a program like UK.
I’m still supporting them. You are crapping on them and the rest of the non-quitters.

And you said many times you would give Cal one more year. Now you are saying two more years. I expect by the time November gets here, you will be up to three more years.

Where I said two more years was a question asking about a FF. He could turn stuff around quickly next year and not make a FF.

Don't twist my words friend.

I am tired of arguing with ya tbh. You can be as rude as you want....idgaf

Your whole question is set up with bias, you start counting 9 years back with the only other time he missed The Tournament, but don't mention that he won the National Title the year after that, cheery picking your scab picking. so let me answer you, I'll stick with a bad year if he bounces back with a good year like 9 years ago and the dude deserves us putting up with a bad year. I think most of the Cal hate is redneck buttt sore over BLM.

Last year was a shit show. Yes everyone had to deal with covid, but when your whole roster is freshmen what do you expect? You only have to look at the teams in the Sweet 16...none were as young as we were. They played during a pandemic. They had no parents, family, fans to support them. They didn't get a chance to even compete for state titles in their respective states. An asterisk should be placed on the season. Cal is Cal. I truly hope he rights the ship. It appears he is putting a roster together that is unlike years past. The team quit on Cal this season. No growth, no cohesion. We have players returning that had to felt shamed by the result. When has Cal ever had to deal with mental health of team.
There was obvious division on team with bench mannerisms. 2020 sucked big donkey balls for everyone. Imagine being 17,18,19 yo and dealing with that crap. Ego can win championships but also destroy teams. We've been lucky to have 10 of 12 seasons where we were in contention and at least in the conversation of winning it all come March. This season is an aberration not the the norm.

I agree with that. But the fact remains that when you parade in to Lexington proclaiming "we are the gold standard" and "we are college basketball", you'd better get it right. For 6 years he did. Nobody I know with any sense is expecting a title every year. But you can't ignore the last 5 years either. It's a trend, and not a good one.
You're miscalibrated.

Some people get in their head that '10-'15 UK was just like the good ol' days, that's how Kentucky is supposed to be, etc.

No sir. That was a level far above average for UK that only our elite coaches ever reached, and never for a decade plus.

Now for this season, no excuse. But set it aside for a moment.

A trend? Teams like '19 and '20 which you probably consider sub-par were still well above the UK historical win percentage.

Were they as good as peak Cal/Pitino/Rupp? Of course not.

Does Cal need to make some changes to get back into every-year-title-contention? Yep.

But the idea that we've just been imploding the last 5 years says more about the fan than the program.

You're miscalibrated.

Some people get in their head that '10-'15 UK was just like the good ol' days, that's how Kentucky is supposed to be, etc.

No sir. That was a level far above average for UK that only our elite coaches ever reached, and never for a decade plus.

Now for this season, no excuse. But set it aside for a moment.

A trend? Teams like '19 and '20 which you probably consider sub-par were still well above the UK historical win percentage.

Were they as good as peak Cal/Pitino/Rupp? Of course not.

Does Cal need to make some changes to get back into every-year-title-contention? Yep.

But the idea that we've just been imploding the last 5 years says more about the fan than the program.
Good post. I mean how anyone on here that says they are a UK fan could not have enjoyed the 2017 team of Fox, Monk, Bam, Willis, and Dom is beyond me. They got screwed and everyone knows it. ARK got screwed the game before by the same Cheats. I feel the same way about the PJ and RT team. Loved watching them and yeah they fell short in OT to a team they had already beaten twice, but PJ wasn't the same once he came back from his injury. I'm not making excuses you have to roll with the punches, but these are facts. Injuries haven't been kind to us. Finally last year's team I also really enjoyed and liked and cheered my ass off for. To me, those 3 teams were not just good teams but very likable and represented the program well for the most part. So that's 3 teams in the last 5 years that I enjoyed and liked and think many on here feel the same way yet the past 5 years have been horrible? I just don't get that.

This year was a nightmare and showed Cal that it is time to make changes. I think he is making those changes and I am hoping this puts a fire under his ass because some on here are right that he might have gotten a little complacent. Even though just last year we were ranked #8 in the nation and steamrolled the SEC and won 9 of our last 10 and looked like we had a real shot. Not getting that chance and then following it with this year has been really hard on the fanbase and I get the frustration. But anyone level-headed knows Cal deserves some time to right the ship. I mean we can't have another year like last year no matter what, but he deserves a couple of years to get things back on track. I say a couple of years but honestly, we have to make the NCAAT next year. We can't go 3 years without even if 2019 was no one's fault.

So I actually expect a Top 25 team next year who competes for the SEC and has a solid performance in the NCAAT. It sounds like a lot after this year and with our roster still up in the air with only 8, but we need it to show this year was a one-off.

Reactions: Jkwo and JC43
I want to be respectful even though op isn’t.
Cal has to win us another title by at least 2025 imo.
Now be honest with me sir, how much did you hype this team and Cal up before the season?

What if what if what if what if, reasons reasons reasons reasons.

so... what about the OP’s question?

Reactions: gwjenning
i am starting to believe that the OP is an old school troll
he wormed his way in and now all he does is breed dissent

modern day trolls are not that intelligent or put the work in
i give him props for fooling many on here (had me fooled for awhile)

And neither was his fault, I know you lack intellect, but everyone knows that.

You are forgetting Cal got us to these level. UK basketball has not been on this level since Rupp. Why would we downgrade by hiring Musselman or Beard. That would set our program back 10 years. If and when Cal steps away, Stevens would be #1 on my list.

You come across very simple minded and beta.

Just letting you know.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT