ADVERTISEMENT

Hoak question

greginky1957

Junior
Gold Member
Oct 11, 2008
I have not had any opportunity to watch him, I know he has only participated in the preseason. Is he mobile at all. I love DB but think that as long as the O line keeps underperforming that Barker doesnt stand a chance of doing well. Maybe it will come when he gets more repetitions. I know Hoak is a pro style QB but pocket presence is everything for a pro style QB. My fear is SJ getting injured. I just am worried that DB's decision making under pressure will never be what it needs to be if he is thrust into action. It would be nice to have a blowout this week do that our backup QB's get a little action

Reactions: matt_man
What I have seen has been from a few practices and, of course, the Spring Game. He impressed during the Spring Game, but the savvy fan knows that a Spring Game doesn't tell you much at all. He's a good sized kid......6'4" and every bit of 210# plus. Yes, he is mobile. He's not a running QB by any means, but he's not Hartline. He has plenty of mobility to move around in the pocket and even scramble for a 1st down if the need arises. He has a very quick release and is fairly accurate. Arm strength appears strong enough for college ball....as it is neither a detriment nor crazy impressive.

Though as we all know there is more to playing QB than physical traits. Knowledge of playbook, pocket awareness, not staring down targets, reading coverages and blitzes, etc.

The issue? The issue is that SJ has pretty much locked up the starting job until injury. Barker has more upside and according to the staff a better control of the offense......and experience that comes with being an upperclassman. So, if CJ goes down, I think they try Barker for a bit. If he fails, then Hoak. That is for this yr.

There is reason for Hoak-optimism though.....and cause for worry. Personally, I think Barker is having trouble getting over the mental hurdles that comes with a significant injury. He just hasn't looked the same. SJ will graduate, which means there will be an open starting role. I think that during the off-season they staff will hold an open competition......where it's very possible that Hoak can beat out Barker. The Hoak-worry is Jarran Williams. If he's all that and a bag of chips, then the staff may look to go with Williams.

(and yes, I'm aware of guys like Clark. Unfortunately from my knowledge Clark "may" be looking at a change of position.........or if he's stubborn, then a possible transfer......but it's still uber-early in his career so, we'll see what happens.)

I like Hoak alot curious how the QB battle will u fold for starter next year. Will Williams come in and redshirt? I'm curious about the other QB from Kentucky isn't he a Manziel type QB? Forgot his name but it's going to come down to last practice in camp before Stoops names a starter IMO? If Barker doesn't win it will he transfer? If Williams doesn't transfer and wins the spot do we see a couple transfer? Really like Hoak and hell I forgot about Clark as well he has a big time arm. . It's going yo be a battle for the starter next year. If Williams comes in and start I woukd suspect we might lose 2 to transfer. The question is how can you sit Williams with his talent? Going to be big off season topic for UK Football in off season.

From what little we’ve seen of Hoak I think a good comparison is Jake Bentley from South Carolina. He may or may not be as good as Bentley (who has been very overrated imo) but I think their build, athletic ability and playing style are pretty similar. Not an outstanding runner but can certainly pick up some yards if there’s an opening or the pocket breaks down. An adequate arm that relies more on accuracy than on great strength. It’s hard to judge what kind of pocket presence and “feel” Hoak will have which is crucial for this type of QB.

So a pretty solid overall player that doesn’t wow you but can certainly get the job done. I think Barkers biggest advantage over Hoak right now is his comfort level with the O. He also may have a bit more arm talent but Hoak is no slouch and brings some mobility to the table that Barker doesn’t.

Danny Clark has a bright future but needs to be developed before he gets any serious PT. SJ is clearly the best QB on the roster right now, we really need him to stay healthy. I like our backups but there’s a pretty big drop off after him.

Reactions: jof2 and jauk11
Williams has got to look at Bama and see he would be at best the 3rd string. With UK he comes in and may win the starting spot worst case probably be back up. His talent is undeniable and more then Likely starts at UK.

Are you implying Hartline was not mobile? He was a very good runner. One of the more athletic starting qbs we've had at uk

Just in case you were joking......and to satisfy my own curiosity....

QB and rush avg

Boyd +4.4
Whitlow +3.8
Pulley +3.8
SJ +3.2
Newton +3.0
Towles +2.6
Speedy +2.4
Fidler +2.3
Pookie +2.3
Lorenzen +1.0
Haskins +1.0
Barker +0.2
Hartline -0.3
Bonner -1.3
Couch -1.8
Woodson -2.1
Smith -3.0

For reference, Peyton Manning was considered quite a statue. He avg -1.2 in college.

Reactions: jauk11 and Wvvrn
Very premature to say Williams will be in the mix. May not even be st UK. Still taking visits

I didn't. I used words like "If" and "may".

My prediction (granted a crazy early prediction) is that the staff will open up a competition. It will truly come down between Barker and Hoak.....which really means Barker's mental state. If Barker can't shake the ghosts, the it will be Hoak with Williams nipping at his heels.

I say again, I don't think DB will be at UK next year. That's based on nothing but a feeling. He already his degree, could do the grad transfer thing, go down in classification or give up the game. 2018 QB will be a Hoak, Clark, Williams fight.

Reactions: TheFolker
Hoak looked great spring game. At this point, i think theres at least a decent chance he beats out Barker for next years starting spot.

Are you implying Hartline was not mobile? He was a very good runner. One of the more athletic starting qbs we've had at uk

Athletic means you can perform tasks with power, speed, and grace.

QB and rush avg

Boyd +4.4
Whitlow +3.8
Pulley +3.8
SJ +3.2
Newton +3.0
Towles +2.6
Speedy +2.4
Fidler +2.3
Pookie +2.3
Lorenzen +1.0
Haskins +1.0
Barker +0.2
Hartline -0.3
Bonner -1.3
Couch -1.8
Woodson -2.1
Smith -3.0

For reference, Peyton Manning was considered quite a statue. He avg -1.2 in college.

I am surprised that "Speedy" is so far down that list, I have played with and against a "Speedy" and both were pretty fast.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Pulley was a very impressive runner, too bad he got in trouble, he might still be playing at Transfer U and that was what, ten years ago?

Pulley was a very impressive runner, too bad he got in trouble, he might still be playing at Transfer U and that was what, ten years ago?

There's obviously a lot that goes into stats like this.....so, it's not clear cut and dry measure of mobility. I hoped that listing so many QB's that volume would wash out some variables. So, guys like Speedy and Pulley might actually be some of the most athletic and it doesn't necessarily translate to the stat line.

Greginky1957, just go to Youtube, and search for "Kentucky Spring Game 2017 . . . . the whole game is there, and you get to see plenty of Gunnar.

Reactions: greginky1957
From what I saw of Hoak, he looked like a very good QB. Very good "feel" in the pocket, and very good movement. He also throws really well when rolling left or right. Looks like the real deal to me. Maybe they will get him some live actions someday? Hope he hangs in there for next year, as it should be his year, unless Williams comes in January, goes through Spring/Summer/Fall - then he could be in the mix too.

Someday we are going to get a stud QB again. That's not taking anything away from SJ at all. I am talking about a future pro QB, which we have not had in a looooong time. We are due.

Hoak looked great spring game. At this point, i think theres at least a decent chance he beats out Barker for next years starting spot.

He was right up there with Dinky McKay.

Last Saturday when SJ was being manhandled and getting the **** knocked out of him, the staff had so much confidence in Hoak that they did not trust him to take snaps and hand the ball off for a series and let SJ catch his breath and get some adhesive tape applied to where he needed it.

Reactions: matt_man
Last Saturday when SJ was being manhandled and getting the **** knocked out of him, the staff had so much confidence in Hoak that they did not trust him to take snaps and hand the ball off for a series and let SJ catch his breath and get some adhesive tape applied to where he needed it.

They'd have went to Barker anyway. No way they jump him to get to Hoak. Don't know anything going on the inside, but Hoak must not be up to snuff in some area at this point. We'll see how it goes next season.

Not to mention Jeff Speedy.
th

QB and rush avg

Boyd +4.4
Whitlow +3.8
Pulley +3.8
SJ +3.2
Newton +3.0
Towles +2.6
Speedy +2.4
Fidler +2.3
Pookie +2.3
Lorenzen +1.0
Haskins +1.0
Barker +0.2
Hartline -0.3
Bonner -1.3
Couch -1.8
Woodson -2.1
Smith -3.0

HEY, where's Freddie Maggard??
;)

I say again, I don't think DB will be at UK next year. That's based on nothing but a feeling. He already his degree, could do the grad transfer thing, go down in classification or give up the game. 2018 QB will be a Hoak, Clark, Williams fight.
It all depends on if Williams signs and what is really going on with the QB roster behind Drew. As of right now he would start next season so why transfer? Not sold that Clark is a legit SEC QB and Woods will likely change positions. Hoak is the only one standing in the way and he has never seen any game action so not sure what he has yet.

Still surprised at the poor memory regarding Hartlines mobility. Pocket passer for sure, but good athlete. His brother was an nfl wr for years

All we've ever seen of Hoak is two spring games (which weren't bad to be honest)...but staff clearly trotted out Barker as SJ's backup (even toyed with splitting series this year until it was 100% obvious). So there is no evidence to suggest Barker won't be the QB next year.

There is hardly any evidence for any way Hoak beats out Barker this year or next at this time....and Barker has been pretty underwhelming it limited snaps the past 3 years so for the staff to still trot him out there speaks of something they see in him.

All we've ever seen of Hoak is two spring games (which weren't bad to be honest)...but staff clearly trotted out Barker as SJ's backup (even toyed with splitting series this year until it was 100% obvious). So there is no evidence to suggest Barker won't be the QB next year.

There is hardly any evidence for any way Hoak beats out Barker this year or next at this time....and Barker has been pretty underwhelming it limited snaps the past 3 years so for the staff to still trot him out there speaks of something they see in him.

Pretty obvious, first half of the Southern Miss game last year.

QB and rush avg

Boyd +4.4
Whitlow +3.8
Pulley +3.8
SJ +3.2
Newton +3.0
Towles +2.6
Speedy +2.4
Fidler +2.3
Pookie +2.3
Lorenzen +1.0
Haskins +1.0
Barker +0.2
Hartline -0.3
Bonner -1.3
Couch -1.8
Woodson -2.1
Smith -3.0

Not trying to be picky, but this view of one stat would say that lorenzen was a better runner (and, by implication athlete) than Tim Couch. And Newton was a better athlete (bc his per rush avg is higher) than both.

All im saying is this choice of stat doesnt show athleticism. Not disputing or agreeing whether hartline was or wasnt "athletic".

Williams has got to look at Bama and see he would be at best the 3rd string. With UK he comes in and may win the starting spot worst case probably be back up. His talent is undeniable and more then Likely starts at UK.

I doubt he ends up at Alabama. But Georgia and Fla. St are fighting it out for a stud quarterback named Fields . The loser will offer Williams. Hopefully he signs in the early signing period and Fields waits until the end .

You'd think Barker would be the "leader" going into fall camp. I wish him the very best and hope he succeeds, but I'm not very confident with what I've seen except for one half vs SMU last season. Hoak will have a great shot at the job by game week. If Williams signs, I look for him to be pushing for PT by week 3, especially if the starter struggles. JW could quickly go from 3rd string to the starter, IMO.

Not trying to be picky, but this view of one stat would say that lorenzen was a better runner (and, by implication athlete) than Tim Couch. And Newton was a better athlete (bc his per rush avg is higher) than both.

All im saying is this choice of stat doesnt show athleticism. Not disputing or agreeing whether hartline was or wasnt "athletic".

First off I agree. In fact I say this with my previous post.

Second, posting these stats was in the confines of the conversation. In my first post I said that Hartline wasn't a running QB.....never mentioned athletic. That was mentioned by another poster who was either joking or delusional. The stats aren't perfect but they do hold water under the confines of this conversation.

Last edited:
IMO, this staff had better give Hoak some PT because he's earned it and he's capable. There are plenty of instances where unheralded QB's stepped up and played well. I've seen quite a few of them do so in CWS for opposing teams through the years. This constant fear of the "backup" QB is no way to think like a "big boy" program.

Just a hunch but I'd say if Hoak doesn't win it he will transfer to Youngstown St, where his younger brother is committed.

I have not had any opportunity to watch him, I know he has only participated in the preseason. Is he mobile at all. I love DB but think that as long as the O line keeps underperforming that Barker doesnt stand a chance of doing well. Maybe it will come when he gets more repetitions. I know Hoak is a pro style QB but pocket presence is everything for a pro style QB. My fear is SJ getting injured. I just am worried that DB's decision making under pressure will never be what it needs to be if he is thrust into action. It would be nice to have a blowout this week do that our backup QB's get a little action
Looks like a heady QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT