ADVERTISEMENT

Herald-Leader “No contract extension for Stoops to remain in Lexington

I’m guess NIL money is what he leveraged from boosters. Maybe more assistant pay from the school.
I don’t think he leveraged anything. He tried to go and all parties saw how disastrous it was and it became obvious there was nowhere to go. I don’t even remember the schiano hire being panned by national guys like this one was. Whatever leverage he thought he had or used in the past is gone after this.

It is going to be very interesting to know what actually took place, if we ever know. It sure looked like Stoops had 1 foot if not both feet out of the door. Was it it the AM backlash that changed things? Or did Stoops leverage some program changes?

Reactions: FltDoc
So he tried to leave for another…there was serious deals on the table, the deal fell thru on their end and he has no place to go …so he gets to climb back in his bed…(ie he didn’t say no to a thing). Sound a lot lke some relationship

How happy are fans , players , recruits supposed to feel over this show?

If UK had an AD with spirit..we would not be in a guaranteed deal thru 2031 with a solid but not great coach and we’d have clause to shorten the deal on our side for what Stoops just tried to do

So he tried to leave for another…there was serious deals on the table, the deal fell thru on their end and he has no place to go …so he gets to climb back in his bed…(ie he didn’t say no to a thing). Sound a lot lke some relationship

If UK had an AD with spirit..we would not be in a guaranteed deal thru 2031 with a solid but not great coach and we’d have clause to shorten the deal on our side for what Stoops just tried to do

I would think most fans would be very happy that they don’t have to hope and pray the next guy doesn’t turn into a 2 win guy and hope stoops continues to win and gets us back to 10 wins soon.

In 1997 I am sure 99.% of basketball fans would have been happy as ever if the Pitino Celtics deal fell through the night they had a deal.

Cal was supposed to be going to the Cavaliers and fans were very happy he stayed.

Cal used UCLA to get a lifetime contract and people still love the basketball team/coach.

If he wins 7-10 games a year most fans will see this as a weird night, but be happy.

If he starts going 5-7 fans will be upset and wish he had gone.

I hope he has the best success ever and we all are happy.

Not too different from his meets with FSU. That didn’t change a thing locally. They’ll also spin it so that the narrative was Stoops choice and most people will believe it because people believe what they want to think is true (players, parents, fans, boosters).

His contract is irrevelant to me. He wants a bigger job so it’ll fix itself after a big win season. UK also has to pay above market rate for coaches. Would be true if it was someone besides stoops too

anyone Remeber this before the SECe and SECw?

UK SEC schedule

UF, LSU, Auburn, Bama, UGA, Vandy?

That’s what’s gonna happen now w/o divisions

Reactions: Stevo1951
you would have a better chance to win the mega million lottery than Coach Stoops being chosen and hired by aTm as their head coach. Maybe as assistant defensive coordinator. There are 25+ coaches that aTm would want before they got down to Stoops. Name me ONE team in SEC that would trade their coach for Stoops.
Their AD wanted him. I don’t think this is true. It was close.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
you would have a better chance to win the mega million lottery than Coach Stoops being chosen and hired by aTm as their head coach. Maybe as assistant defensive coordinator. There are 25+ coaches that aTm would want before they got down to Stoops. Name me ONE team in SEC that would trade their coach for Stoops.

Miss State, Ark, Vandy prob Florida before this yr and So Car before the Sun Beam

Reactions: BlueCephus
I'm frustrated as well, but I do think he was close this year. IMO two things that for some reason he can't figure out needs to change.
We would have 2 maybe 3 more wins this year.
1- oline. For some reason they haven't developed and improved the past 2 years. We have to keep max protection which puts a lot of pressure on your WR.
2- Edge rusher. If you get more pressure off the edge with walker/ silver ECT up the middle,our DB look much much better. You saw in the second half yesterday what a 4 man rush that gets pressure can do for a secondary!

He fixes those 2 issues and IMO he can win 8-9 next year. For the life of me I can't figure out why he kept yenser. We need to start developing our young talent. It's almost like they think why develop, just pick the portal.

No reason to think all this is nothing more than Internet click bait. UK is stuck with Stoops because of economics. Plan and simple.

The fact he was their top choice was being reported in the media for about 24 hours prior to something happening. It’s odd that it would just go right over the board and fans head, and they did not know what was going on, and just ‘revolted‘ at the last minute, or after an offer was made . You’d think someone would say something in the hours prior

I'm frustrated as well, but I do think he was close this year. IMO two things that for some reason he can't figure out needs to change.
We would have 2 maybe 3 more wins this year.
1- oline. For some reason they haven't developed and improved the past 2 years. We have to keep max protection which puts a lot of pressure on your WR.
2- Edge rusher. If you get more pressure off the edge with walker/ silver ECT up the middle,our DB look much much better. You saw in the second half yesterday what a 4 man rush that gets pressure can do for a secondary!

He fixes those 2 issues and IMO he can win 8-9 next year. For the life of me I can't figure out why he kept yenser. We need to start developing our young talent. It's almost like they think why develop, just pick the portal.
Yep 4 man rush paid big dividends. Go 4-3 all the time. Put Jackson in the middle, Wallace and whoever on the outside. If here next year move Walker around to create mismatches.

If Aggies are calling CMS it means they got poo pooed by everyone else on their list.

There is absolutely no way a guy who's averaging about 6-7 wins would have been in serious consideration for any other reason than desperation.

No contract extension from MB is interesting. May mean a couple of things. He's waiting to see how bowl game goes because 8-5 is easier to justify an extension. He's starting to feel the heat from some folks concerning football and or he's nearing retirement and isn't interested in major negotiations on his way out...leaving it for the next guy.

Reactions: BleedBlue08

If he told Mitch he was leaving, and I assume he did, Mitch should’ve said no on the return.

No raise either, which is good.

MJ has a good article on KSR about it.

Best case look is Stoops and staff read the bad headlines on internet and withdrew IMO.

If we want to believe KSRs version.

No reason to think all this is nothing more than Internet click bait. UK is stuck with Stoops because of economics. Plan and simple.

“No reason to think all this is nothing more than Internet click bait. UK is stuck with Stoops because of economics Mitch Barnhart. Plan and simple.”

There, that looks better. ;-)

Barnhart and Capiluto are idiots

you would have a better chance to win the mega million lottery than Coach Stoops being chosen and hired by aTm as their head coach. Maybe as assistant defensive coordinator. There are 25+ coaches that aTm would want before they got down to Stoops. Name me ONE team in SEC that would trade their coach for Stoop
Vanderbilt?

No raise either, which is good.

MJ has a good article on KSR about it.

Best case look is Stoops and staff read the bad headlines on internet and withdrew IMO.

If we want to believe KSRs version.
The KSR version is about as likely to be accurate as the other stuff that gets posted there. I won't elaborate with the litany.

Surely, something changed between yesterday morning and last night. It wasn't the A&M fan reaction, because Stoops routinely gets roasted by UK fans on his radio shows and online. Stoops comes from a family of football coaches. He is accustomed to the heat. If he was sure he wanted to become A&M's coach, that would not have slowed him down. He would simply have resolved to get the job done down there and win hearts and minds. That's what Power 5 coaches do. Were TN fans happy when Heupel was hired? No, they certainly were not. Were FL St fans happy when Norvell was hired? No. Were UK fans happy when Stoops was hired prior to the 2013 season? No.

It is being reported that Stoops' contract has not been extended. But he is already under contract at UK until 2031. IMO, he got something new. Probably some local businesses stepped up and pledged more NIL money. Likely that MB promised to support retaining the coordinators and fund upgrades at one or more position coach positions. Perhaps some other capital projects that are unknown to the public. Almost all coaches use their leverage from time to time.

And if Stoops has somehow leveraged this situation to gain more NIL support from the central KY private community, then we should see another program renaissance. Even recruiting at an NIL disadvantage, Stoops has put together a solid 2024 class. One thing Stoops does well is effective use of his recruiting resources.

7-5 noted
Granting the benefit of the doubt here, you may not be aware of this. Before Stoops got here, 7-5 was considered an unusually successful football season. In UK football history, there have been four 10-win seasons. Stoops produced two of those four. I don't expect to change your mind. You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own set of facts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT