ADVERTISEMENT

Hearing some things

I easily believe it. Yes Green wanted to be here but things haven’t gone like he thought they would. Hell the guy wore a headband in high school last season that said “Plan A.” That was the same time Young went to Oklahoma and we went and got Quade. People said he was our plan B and he took it personal. Coming in here you have to assume he never in his wildest dreams thought SGA would be anything close to this good and bump him from his starting pg spot. If SGA came back he know it’d just get worse next year with the new guys here too.

Nova is the hot brand right now plus the home school. I’d make me sick to see him go there but I can see why he’d want to. I don’t know who I’d rather have of Green and SGA. I know Shai is “better” but Green was the basically the one real true shooter we had this year. Sure Knox can shoot too but with Green I felt like it was money everytime. Losing that would be a huge blow.

Dude, there is legitimately absolutely no basis to thinking he will transfer. You buy he may transfer because of your perceptions and your opinions based and clouded in your somewhat constant negativity?

You think Quade May transfer ... and only give random reasons/ assessments as to why.

You can say “ I think so and so may do this” then give obscure reasons for just about anybody.

As much as I love Quade, he doesn't play d, unlike Ulis, his size is limiting his game. All Nova guards are pass first, their lead guard os successful because he can post hid mid, drive and hit from deep.
Quade can hit from deep and some mid, no post weak driver...
He would benefit running the second crew, where he is the offense...
Shai got his chance and ran with it when Quade went out with 'back' issues..
When Quade doesn't let his size dictate his game, then he will be special...of he is afraid of competing with hagans/Quickley, then maybe he should leave..we want players that compete at everything. All the greats, everything was a competition
Jordan
Bron
Magic
Curry
KD
Russ
The desire to win is only surpassed by the hatred of losing.
Again I love Quade, maybe a Redshirt year will allow him to focus on what he is great and improve on what he isn't proficient in...

Why don't any of you talk to your inside sources before articles come out about this stuff?

Just one time I want a secret scoop and then two days later Kyle Tucker does a story giving us the same information.

Well, of green transfers to villanova... that would qualify right?

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
As much as I love Quade, he doesn't play d, unlike Ulis, his size is limiting his game. All Nova guards are pass first, their lead guard os successful because he can post hid mid, drive and hit from deep.
Quade can hit from deep and some mid, no post weak driver...
He would benefit running the second crew, where he is the offense...
Shai got his chance and ran with it when Quade went out with 'back' issues..
When Quade doesn't let his size dictate his game, then he will be special...of he is afraid of competing with hagans/Quickley, then maybe he should leave..we want players that compete at everything. All the greats, everything was a competition
Jordan
Bron
Magic
Curry
KD
Russ
The desire to win is only surpassed by the hatred of losing.
Again I love Quade, maybe a Redshirt year will allow him to focus on what he is great and improve on what he isn't proficient in...
Why didn’t you list Bird in that group? He played every game like it was his last. You put others on there that are head scratchers.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I play ball with some people who claim to be close to our program. Definite grain of salt needed here.

Talked to them last night and here's what they are hearing

• SGA is waiting for Knox because they want a title and LOVE being together on campus. True friendship developed there. This is why SGA delayed. Was never locked in his mind to go.
  • Knox 95% coming back after Cal's pitch
  • If SGA comes back, Quade is gone. He wants to go to Nova
  • Diallo wants to go pro, but he is not hearing good things. Not 100% sure the staff wants him back due to Johnson coming in
  • Really pushing Hagans to stay in 2019. Could be amazing class with he and Wiseman
  • Staff is VERY confident about Wiseman
  • PJ declared with plans of coming back. Wants to test process and get ideas what to work on - Wenyan, JV, Richards and more will probably do the same
  • PJ is still devastated by the free throws
  • Wenyan is ready to go pro, but knows he isn't ready
  • Staff really believes they may only lose Quade and maybe Diallo - thinks we will be special
  • Cal and staff took Duke getting the top 3 really hard and are more motivated than ever
  • Cal is going to stop "pushing guys out the door" - big discussions in the department about this. Want to shed the one-and-done school label
  • Staff believes Capel leaving Duke will push us back to #1

Again this was some talk between and after playing with some guys I know. They have usually been correct or close. They have been wrong too and this is 18 year old kids we are talking about

Potential lineup we talked about:
PG - SGA / Quickly
SG - Johnson / Herro / Baker
SF - Knox / Johnson
PF - PJ / Wenyan
C - Vanderbilt / Richards / SKJ
U5dsx6NoVDNAmKTXzMZGSqbBCkQwKqp

Diallo wants to go pro, but he is not hearing good things. Not 100% sure the staff wants him back due to Johnson coming in

ok , so I think the OPs post is just guys talking - like giving opinions hanging out at the local coffee shop and then that becomes "word around town" then "word around the program" sort of thing. Good talking points but hard to connect the dots to a source.

so I don't want to make it sound like I'm going on a rant because I really don't believe the program would question wanting him back.

That said, what the fans want or say about Diallo is one thing - I was frustrated with him as much as anyone I guess during the season, but he is a Kentucky player. What the coaches say is something else. Even though scholarships are year to year, they recruited the kid and as long as he represents the university well and does what is asked of him to the best of his ability (and yes, I think even though he seemed completely tunnel visioned about how to play the game and it probably cost us some games, I think he wanted to be better) the kid should have a spot on the team even if we have the next Anthony Davis wanting to come here and don't have a scholly to offer.

Even though the one and done approach is not much for kids sticking around, we can't be mercenary about kids wearing the UK uniform.

Reactions: JC43
Wasn’t Cal’s ‘15 team able to co-exist with a 10 man rotation?

Why wouldn’t Cal reconsider? We only won 38 games and we lost Alex early.

Cal said no to the zone forever, but he relented.

There’s room for everyone back + the newbies.

The rotation didn’t hurt anyone’s value getting drafted.

And will someone tell Quade no one has left UK to win a title elsewhere.? Byron Mouton was a unique move.

Looking for Knox and Shai to come back and line up against Duke.

Reactions: Farsight
Yesterday SI posted a projection that had Knox and Shai going between eleven and fifteen, Diallo about 43.
Out of their top 7 picks, 5 are college centers.
Both Knox and Shai are , by the article, bench players...somewhat far back on that bench. Hami is considered somewhat either a Longshot to stick or a g league project.

Course, that can change in 5 seconds.

He never stopped wanting to be the hero. That is why he took the three pointer with 14 seconds to go against KSU. We needed the two to tie the game. Try to force OT against KSU
Quade took the 3 pointer at the end not Diallo. The quote you referenced was about Diallo and you're talking about Green, strange.

Reactions: JC43 and brianpoe
I just don't buy the Green stuff. He could have committed to Nova, he loved Cal. Wanted to be at UK.

I he feels like he's been recruited over I guess it could matter but Quade doesn't seem like the type to quit and run.

We need guys like Quade to stay put. He could easily be the starter and focal point junior and senior year.

We Gotta stop this feeling that if you don't succeed as a freshman you need to consider a transfer.

It's not that he wasn't a star as a FR. It was LIKELY that he was passed by another FR at "his position". Green knows his ONLY chance to play for $ is as a PG. It's hard to do that with SGA ahead of him, and then having to compete w/ Quickley this year, and then maybe Hagans the year after that.

Green wasn't "recruited over" by bringing in SGA. SGA was 1) to be a backup to Green, and 2) a expected to be a 3-4 year player. SGA simply out played Green, and it wasn't close.
If SGA doesn't return, I bet Cal gives him the chance to be the leader & PG, and play Quickley as his backup and some 2G. But you've got to EARN it, nothing is handed to you.

Reactions: JC43
The thing about Green and defense, there was a piece on him before the season started where he said he wanted to be the best defensive PG Cal has ever had. Don't know what happened, but I don't think it was a lack of effort.

Dude, there is legitimately absolutely no basis to thinking he will transfer. You buy he may transfer because of your perceptions and your opinions based and clouded in your somewhat constant negativity?

You think Quade May transfer ... and only give random reasons/ assessments as to why.

You can say “ I think so and so may do this” then give obscure reasons for just about anybody.
My “negativity” has nothing to do with my post. I want Green here. Bad. Only someone in denial can look at his situation and think no way he’s considering a transfer and what I posted was the most logical reasoning behind it. You need to look up the word obscure because I don’t think you know what it means.

Why didn’t you list Bird in that group? He played every game like it was his last. You put others on there that are head scratchers.
Read bout how everything was a competition between Russ and KD, from who is first, eating, ping pong, ft...should of put kisses Moses Malone and DR J...lived in Erie PA early 80's...that's why I didn't put Bird or McHale or Parrish,....

The thing about Green and defense, there was a piece on him before the season started where he said he wanted to be the best defensive PG Cal has ever had. Don't know what happened, but I don't think it was a lack of effort.
He's just a freshman. Defense is the most difficult aspect to learn and some players catch on faster than others. He'll be fine with more experience.

It may be Hami's game instead of his attitude that isnt a fit...

He never seemed comfortable on offense.

I think that once Hami proves that he is a 1) able passer and 2) a willing passer he'll get along fine. For people with mortal athletic ability, you learn to pass not because you want to pass all that much, but because the threat of passing to an open teammate makes defenses pay for throwing waves at you a bad idea. For his whole life, Diallo has been able to score no matter what high school / AAU teams threw at him. Now, he's learning that the inability to pass (it is a skill, after all) is actually hindering his ability to score. He'll get there; it'll just take time.

Reactions: awf and brianpoe
And on the same hand all season long the fans were lamenting about not having anyone that wanted to step up at the end of a close game......If you don't have the balls to take the shot you for sure won't make it.....at least he had the moxy to take the shot. If he had hit that shot he would have been a hero......

Have the moxy to take a good shot. He took an absolutely terrible one.

News flash: I was one of those guys We were messing around to see that if we were buzzing and namedropping if you would run an post about it.

WTG OP

[banana] Freaking made my day

I think that once Hami proves that he is a 1) able passer and 2) a willing passer he'll get along fine. For people with mortal athletic ability, you learn to pass not because you want to pass all that much, but because the threat of passing to an open teammate makes defenses pay for throwing waves at you a bad idea. For his whole life, Diallo has been able to score no matter what high school / AAU teams threw at him. Now, he's learning that the inability to pass (it is a skill, after all) is actually hindering his ability to score. He'll get there; it'll just take time.
Excellent post. I am a Hami supporter. Kid, in my eyes, has began to mature and be accountable. You hit the nail on the head, Hami now sees what defenses will do to him, he can't just out athletic opponents like he has done all his life. He is a NY Guard and will be a star before all said and done. He faced and acknowledged his biggest obstacle to his dreams, himself. That said, I only see positive things for him. Rule changes a more even playing field in SEC will help his game. Teammates having confidence will too. Hope he comes back, maybe the difference on being a cautionary tale to UK hero and legend while on campus.

Reactions: villefan76
I like the change in philosophy. I believe Cal wore out this year with too much youth. Secondly he saw Nova with their veterans win and play pretty basketball. Third he wants that 2nd title to be considered high elite at UK and nationally before he quits and the clock is ticking. Realizes he needs maturity and experience. I think his recruiting with last year's class is reflecting the new pattern.

@AGEE11 no mention of Montgomery, does the staff feel there is a chance?

Nothing about him. Only thing that the everyone felt good about recruiting with the upcoming classes and Capel leaving.

I can't make it next week when we play, but if anything new comes up the week after I'll post.

Probably all be moot by then

I like the change in philosophy. I believe Cal wore out this year with too much youth. Secondly he saw Nova with their veterans win and play pretty basketball. Third he wants that 2nd title to be considered high elite at UK and nationally before he quits and the clock is ticking. Realizes he needs maturity and experience. I think his recruiting with last year's class is reflecting the new pattern.
This and wants Brad to get Ring as well!!!
The ability to remain at the forefront of his trade is what makes Cal great, he will adapt and lead the pack once again.

News flash: I was one of those guys We were messing around to see that if we were buzzing and namedropping if you would run an post about it.

WTG OP

[banana] Freaking made my day
I was one of those guys too. We gave real info but told you it was all BS, knowing that Agee would run here to post and you would shortly follow to rip him. Thanks for the memories bro.

Reactions: catben
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT