ADVERTISEMENT

Hearing some things

AGEE11

Junior
Jan 10, 2014
I play ball with some people who claim to be close to our program. Definite grain of salt needed here.

Talked to them last night and here's what they are hearing

• SGA is waiting for Knox because they want a title and LOVE being together on campus. True friendship developed there. This is why SGA delayed. Was never locked in his mind to go.
  • Knox 95% coming back after Cal's pitch
  • If SGA comes back, Quade is gone. He wants to go to Nova
  • Diallo wants to go pro, but he is not hearing good things. Not 100% sure the staff wants him back due to Johnson coming in
  • Really pushing Hagans to stay in 2019. Could be amazing class with he and Wiseman
  • Staff is VERY confident about Wiseman
  • PJ declared with plans of coming back. Wants to test process and get ideas what to work on - Wenyan, JV, Richards and more will probably do the same
  • PJ is still devastated by the free throws
  • Wenyan is ready to go pro, but knows he isn't ready
  • Staff really believes they may only lose Quade and maybe Diallo - thinks we will be special
  • Cal and staff took Duke getting the top 3 really hard and are more motivated than ever
  • Cal is going to stop "pushing guys out the door" - big discussions in the department about this. Want to shed the one-and-done school label
  • Staff believes Capel leaving Duke will push us back to #1

Again this was some talk between and after playing with some guys I know. They have usually been correct or close. They have been wrong too and this is 18 year old kids we are talking about

Potential lineup we talked about:
PG - SGA / Quickly
SG - Johnson / Herro / Baker
SF - Knox / Johnson
PF - PJ / Wenyan
C - Vanderbilt / Richards / SKJ

Last edited:
I play ball with some people who claim to be close to our program. Definite grain of salt needed here.

Talked to them last night and here's what they are hearing

• SGA is waiting for Knox because they want a title and LOVE being together on campus. True friendship developed there. This is why SGA delayed. Was never locked in his mind to go.
  • Knox 95% coming back after Cal's pitch
  • If SGA comes back, Quade is gone. He wants to go to Nova
  • Diallo wants to go pro, but he is not hearing good things. Not 100% sure the staff wants him back due to Johnson coming in
  • Really pushing Hagans to stay in 2019. Could be amazing class with he and Wiseman
  • Staff is VERY confident about Wiseman
  • PJ declared with plans of coming back. Wants to test process and get ideas what to work on
  • PJ is still devastated by the free throws
  • Wenyan is ready to go pro, but knows he isn't ready
  • Staff really believes they may only lose Quade and maybe Diallo - thinks we will be special
  • Cal and staff took Duke getting the top 3 really hard and are more motivated than ever
  • Cal is going to stop "pushing guys out the door" - big discussions in the department about this. Want to shed the one-and-done school label
  • Staff believes Capel leaving Duke will push us back to #1

Again this was some talk between and after playing with some guys I know. They have usually been correct or close. They have been wrong too and this is 18 year old kids we are talking about

Potential lineup we talked about:
PG - SGA / Quickly
SG - Johnson / Herro / Baker
SF - Knox / Johnson
PF - PJ / Wenyan
C - Vanderbilt / Richards / SKJ

Thanks for sharing...hard to say the staff is going to stop "pushing guys out the door" and then say they don't want Hami back.

Weird.

Thanks for the info. Hope it's as positive as your friends have relayed it!!

Thanks for sharing...hard to say the staff is going to stop "pushing guys out the door" and then say they don't want Hami back.

Weird.

Didn't say they would push him out, they don't think he fits with Johnson, Knox, and Herro in the wing rotation.

Sorry, I phrased that wrong

The push out they mentioned was like MKG when he wanted to stay and Cal basically pushed him out. Good idea as he was #2 pick. But basically if they want to stay, we keep them.

I just don't buy the Green stuff. He could have committed to Nova, he loved Cal. Wanted to be at UK.

I he feels like he's been recruited over I guess it could matter but Quade doesn't seem like the type to quit and run.

We need guys like Quade to stay put. He could easily be the starter and focal point junior and senior year.

We Gotta stop this feeling that if you don't succeed as a freshman you need to consider a transfer.

I don't think they would voice out that they don't want diallo.

that's too risky of business in collegiate coaching.

They may have that feeling, but Coach Cal would never voice that...i doubt he would to his assistant coaches.

Weird.
If there's any validity to this report, I imagine there's a distinction to be made here. "Pushing guys out the door" probably refers to entering the draft. In Diallo's case, it likely means that they find him uncoachable and something of a drain on the team. Think Roderick Rhodes in 1995. Just a guess...

Hate the possibility of Green transferring. He would be a special player next year...don’t like this.

I agree Green is exactly the kind of player we need for three years. If he were to leave it would suck. It would be awesome to have everyone back but I still contend that the offense would run better without SGA running point.

I am not sure what Quade expected if he does transfer. An unathletic 6ft point guard is not NBA material. You can bring up Ulis but he was a PURE PG and was an excellent scorer/shooter/passer. I see none of those high level qualities in Green besides a shooter (not sure that is High level either). He seemed like more of a project to me, 3-4 year guy.

Saying Hami might not fit is total blasphemy. Watch those "Inside the Madness" episodes with Hami. It's 1000% obvious he wants to get better and takes it personal he's not performing the way he wants. I can't imagine the coaches being anything but ecstatic to have him back if he stays.

I don't see Quade transferring. He's not going to go sit out a year. He's going to get plenty of playing time at UK.

The rest of the post sounds pretty dang good. If Knox is really that close to coming back, and SGA wants to come back with him....my fat ass will do a cartwheel if that notification comes across my phone.

Saying Hami might not fit is total blasphemy. Watch those "Inside the Madness" episodes with Hami. It's 1000% obvious he wants to get better and takes it personal he's not performing the way he wants. I can't imagine the coaches being anything but ecstatic to have him back if he stays.

I don't see Quade transferring. He's not going to go sit out a year. He's going to get plenty of playing time at UK.

The rest of the post sounds pretty dang good. If Knox is really that close to coming back, and SGA wants to come back with him....my fat ass will do a cartwheel if that notification comes across my phone.

It may be Hami's game instead of his attitude that isnt a fit...

He never seemed comfortable on offense.

Reactions: Chuckinden
I am not sure what Quade expected if he does transfer. An unathletic 6ft point guard is not NBA material. You can bring up Ulis but he was a PURE PG and was an excellent scorer/shooter/passer. I see none of those high level qualities in Green besides a shooter (not sure that is High level either). He seemed like more of a project to me, 3-4 year guy.
I think it is funny that this whole Green to Villanova rumor is coming up because Villanova is more loaded at PG than we are lol. He would go there and sit too!

If there's any validity to this report, I imagine there's a distinction to be made here. "Pushing guys out the door" probably refers to entering the draft. In Diallo's case, it likely means that they find him uncoachable and something of a drain on the team. Think Roderick Rhodes in 1995. Just a guess...
I don't think the kid is uncoachable......I do think it took him longer to mature and buy into the team concept. He was always trying to make the big play....once he stopped that he became a better player.

This is probably the most important aspect of the OP IMO. It shows that the staff is willing to learn and adjust. Some coaches are too hard headed to admit they need to change. If the above is correct....Cal is wise enough to evolve.

If the Roster is what you predicted, a lineup of:

Shai
Herro/Baker
Johnson
Knox
PJ

Would be an absolute offensive juggernaut. Not sure if there’s a team in the country that could score with that.

Reactions: AGEE11
Thanks OP i really hope we get most of our player back. Would love to see Knox and SGA come back. WOW with the incoming class that would make a great team.

So you don't agree with the info about guys leaving, but you do agree with the info about people staying.

I don't think they would voice out that they don't want diallo.

that's too risky of business in collegiate coaching.

They may have that feeling, but Coach Cal would never voice that...i doubt he would to his assistant coaches.
Hate losing Green, kid has the toughness we need

All sounds good. I hope it’s all true, but have some doubts this is how it ends up.
I still think Cal has never pushed anyone out the door unless it was in their best interest. Not sure why we perpetuate the idea this as a negative. Maybe it’s our own selfishness because we want titles more than what’s best for the kids that work their butts off for us? We should be more concerned if we had a coach that was thinking more about himself than the players. Only we could turn a positive human trait into a negative.

Reactions: UKKAZ#1
I don't think the kid is uncoachable......I do think it took him longer to mature and buy into the team concept. He was always trying to make the big play....once he stopped that he became a better player.
Agree. Not sure how anyone could think the kid is a problem. Outrageous expectations and most likely significant self-imposed pressure led to his struggles. But the kid always seemed to be the biggest cheerleader when others would have sulked. Actually seems like a great attitude. I am really pulling for him to succeed here and the league.

ADVERTISEMENT