ADVERTISEMENT

Hearing some things

I think it is funny that this whole Green to Villanova rumor is coming up because Villanova is more loaded at PG than we are lol. He would go there and sit too!

Maybe not next year after he sits out. Jahvon Quinerly may be Wright's first OAD. I'm sure Wright would salivate over having another junior stud PG after that. Quade would be amazing in that system.

Green's high school teammate is at Nova now, and he also knows Collin Gillespie since they went at each other many times over 4 years in the Catholic League. Would get him closer to home. Lots of reasons for him to seriously consider this if Shai comes back and it looks like Ashton Hagans is coming either this year or next.

But people do forget that Quade was UK's first commit in last year's class, and Cal wanted him badly. He did nothing this year to disappoint Cal. Cal was hard on him but he has said that's what he wanted and why he came to UK.

On “Pushing Out The Door”

This recent article https://www.theringer.com/college-basketball/2018/3/15/17122806/john-calipari-kentucky-recruiting gives this Malik Monk quote, “‘Basically,’ says Monk, ‘he kicked us off the team.’ Kind of. Monk, Fox, and Adebayo were all slated as likely lottery picks in the upcoming NBA draft. They’d arrived in Lexington only a few months ago, and now, Calipari told them, it was time for them to go. ‘He said, ‘We’ve got another group of recruits coming in,’’ Monk remembers. ‘There’s not room for you. You gotta go.’ He really kicked us out.’ (Calipari declined to be interviewed for this piece.)

Monk (ESPN’s no. 9 recruit, class of 2016, now with the Hornets) didn’t complain. He’d been 7 years old when the NBA instituted its so-called one-and-done rule in 2005, and ever since he was a little boy, Monk had dreamed of spending a single season on a college campus before jumping to the NBA. So that night in Memphis, he felt devastated by the loss but excited for what he knew would come next. ‘When he told me I was off the team,’ says Monk, ‘I was so happy. It was a big step to the biggest dream in my life coming true.’”

Now, I know journalists can twist words to fit their storyline, but it’s interesting nonetheless.

I just don't buy the Green stuff. He could have committed to Nova, he loved Cal. Wanted to be at UK.

I he feels like he's been recruited over I guess it could matter but Quade doesn't seem like the type to quit and run.

We need guys like Quade to stay put. He could easily be the starter and focal point junior and senior year.

We Gotta stop this feeling that if you don't succeed as a freshman you need to consider a transfer.

Way wrong read on Green. I don’t think there is any ‘feeling’, culture or other nebulous psychology at play. That’s just groping around for blame. Green is probably asking himself where does his playing time come from. It’s a legitimate question. The answer I hope he comes to is the playing time is a result of his blood and sweat in a highly competitive situation. If he succeeds under those conditions, his future is set. That said, he could reasonably decide his options are better elsewhere.

I want him back. I want him to succeed through his own effort. It is his best chance at great success. It may not be his best chance at limited success. It all comes down to what his goals are, and if lofty, how hard is he willing to fight for them.

Reactions: BlueRattie
Why not the whole player? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m with you though
So hoping even one comes back
One thing that could really be a factor in both these guys coming back is that this incoming Freshman class is really weak and Knox and Shai could both move up into the top 10. I think that is something Cal is selling them both on right now.

Reactions: Bkocats
Maybe not next year after he sits out. Jahvon Quinerly may be Wright's first OAD. I'm sure Wright would salivate over having another junior stud PG after that. Quade would be amazing in that system.

Green's high school teammate is at Nova now, and he also knows Collin Gillespie since they went at each other many times over 4 years in the Catholic League. Would get him closer to home. Lots of reasons for him to seriously consider this if Shai comes back and it looks like Ashton Hagans is coming either this year or next.

But people do forget that Quade was UK's first commit in last year's class, and Cal wanted him badly. He did nothing this year to disappoint Cal. Cal was hard on him but he has said that's what he wanted and why he came to UK.
Yeah, I assumed Quinerly and Gillespie would still be there in 2 years.

This recent article https://www.theringer.com/college-basketball/2018/3/15/17122806/john-calipari-kentucky-recruiting gives this Malik Monk quote, “‘Basically,’ says Monk, ‘he kicked us off the team.’ Kind of. Monk, Fox, and Adebayo were all slated as likely lottery picks in the upcoming NBA draft. They’d arrived in Lexington only a few months ago, and now, Calipari told them, it was time for them to go. ‘He said, ‘We’ve got another group of recruits coming in,’’ Monk remembers. ‘There’s not room for you. You gotta go.’ He really kicked us out.’ (Calipari declined to be interviewed for this piece.)

Monk (ESPN’s no. 9 recruit, class of 2016, now with the Hornets) didn’t complain. He’d been 7 years old when the NBA instituted its so-called one-and-done rule in 2005, and ever since he was a little boy, Monk had dreamed of spending a single season on a college campus before jumping to the NBA. So that night in Memphis, he felt devastated by the loss but excited for what he knew would come next. ‘When he told me I was off the team,’ says Monk, ‘I was so happy. It was a big step to the biggest dream in my life coming true.’”

Now, I know journalists can twist words to fit their storyline, but it’s interesting nonetheless.

My apologies, you did include the following:

“When he told me I was off the team,” says Monk, “I was so happy. It was a big step to the biggest dream in my life coming true.”

Does that sound like a guy that was forced out? Sounds to me like a kid whose coach was gracious enough to remove any remorse he might have about leaving.

Those three guys were gone. Cal simply admitted that.

Last edited:
I think one problem that Cal has and its not really his fault is that you have a guy like Diallo that you think is for sure a one and done then he has a bad year and prob needs to come back, but you have recruited 2 kids to take his spot, thus the massive logjam at the 2 guard for next year. Now if Diallo is willing to come back and accept a more limited role I would love to have him back, but I just don't see that happening.

I just refuse to believe Quade wants to “transfer to NOVA if Shai comes back”... lol. I mean I’ll make a thread shoving crow down my face if I’m wrong but it just seems absolutely absurd and it all started the same way “WG is super duper poor and needs to lift his family out of extreme POVERTY” random message board rumors ...

Edit- i mean no disrespect to OP. Just giving my opinion on the Quade transferring rumors

Thanks for sharing...hard to say the staff is going to stop "pushing guys out the door" and then say they don't want Hami back.

Weird.

I think the meaning is, that with who we would have back, along with who we have coming in, Hami's minutes are going to drop way off, and it will be that much tougher for him to get drafted. I'm sure the coaching staff wants this kid to reach his dreams, and this may be now, or never.

Reactions: AlbanyWildCat

:rolleyes:

Shouldn't be (if true). He was the most energetic player on the floor. Sh*t happens.
No...it should bother him. If it didn't hurt, he might show up on campus next fall w/out having felt the need to get in the gym this summer and turn that weakness into a strength.

edit: I do agree that he was one of the few Cats that came to play @ KState, and we wouldn't have been in the game w/out him.

Reactions: 1war
Yeah, I assumed Quinerly and Gillespie would still be there in 2 years.

Gillespie will, but I'm not sure he was recruited to be the starting PG. He is more of a combo guard with a deadly shot. I expect he may start at first but Quinerly will finish as the starter. If Nova makes another deep tournament run then Quinerly may leave. All this is not predictable though, which is why I have my doubts that Quade ends up there.

HORSE HOCKEY.... (Not at you WS but at the premise.)

It has been at least suggested on this board that Quade was recruited because a number of potential signees liked playing with him, including and especially Mo Bamba.

Just my personal opinion that's the reason Cal took him and took him first. Quade is a ball dominant PG and that's definitely not Cal's style. I don't for one second think Cal saw him as a potential OAD or even a NBA player at any point.

Doesn't mean QG will leave but it's not unreasonable to think he may want to. He will be recruited over every year and will never be given the reins in his junior or senior year. He can be a valuable contributor as an off the bench player if he's content with that.

My apologies, you did include the following:

“When he told me I was off the team,” says Monk, “I was so happy. It was a big step to the biggest dream in my life coming true.”

Does that sound like a guy that was forced out? Sounds to me like a kid whose coach was gracious enough to remove any remorse he might have about leaving. . . .
Yes, I included the entire quote without my commentary. Monk said he was so happy with the biggest dream of his life coming true.

Last edited:
Again this was some talk between and after playing with some guys I know. They have usually been correct or close. They have been wrong too and this is 18 year old kids we are talking about

Potential lineup we talked about:
PG - SGA / Quickly
SG - Johnson / Herro / Baker
SF - Knox / Johnson
PF - PJ / Wenyan
C - Vanderbilt / Richards / SKJ

I say bring 'em all back and run a platoon. I know it's not a popular stance on this board ("it ruined recruiting!"), but I loved the platoon system, and have been hoping for a team deep enough to run it again. Next year could be the year:

PG1 - SGA PG2 - IQ
SG1 - Baker SG2 - Herro
WF1 - Knox WF2 - Johnson
PF1 - PJ PF2 - Wenyan
C1 - SKJ C2 - Vanderbilt/Nik

My vision would be the platoons for first 3/4 (or a little less) of the game, then go to hot-hand, or best-matchups, or foul trouble dictates, or best defensive team, or best free throw shooters, or gut-feeling line-ups, or whatever's needed for coming down the stretch.

A month ago, what would you give the odds for Green and Diallo leaving, but SGA and Knox returning? Like 0.001% chance?

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I don't think the kid is uncoachable......I do think it took him longer to mature and buy into the team concept. He was always trying to make the big play....once he stopped that he became a better player.

He never stopped wanting to be the hero. That is why he took the three pointer with 14 seconds to go against KSU. We needed the two to tie the game. Try to force OT against KSU

Reactions: shep21754
Always amazes me how many people suddenly have connections with people around the program this time of year

I'm sure there are plenty of people who actually do know somebody who went to school with a guy whose aunt works in the athletic department and thinks the rumors trickling down to them are reliable.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who actually do know somebody who went to school with a guy whose aunt works in the athletic department and thinks the rumors trickling down to them are reliable.
That's funny.

I don't have any connections whatsoever now, but that kind of thing can and does happen, often in the most random of ways. Back in the early 90s, I had a friend who worked at WTVQ. I was always looking for a place to play basketball indoors, and he told me that members of the media gathered once a week to play in Transy's old McAlister Auditorium. I started going down there and playing, and though I didn't work in the media, I was soon just another guy who showed up there every week. Among others, some of the guys playing there were Tom Hammond, Tom Leach (pre-Voice of the Cats), and Dave Baker. Of course we talked to them; Leach in particular was a nice guy and very accessible. I heard things then... I'm sure somebody may find themselves in a similar situation now.

Could be, could not be... but it happens.

I play ball with some people who claim to be close to our program. Definite grain of salt needed here.

Talked to them last night and here's what they are hearing

• SGA is waiting for Knox because they want a title and LOVE being together on campus. True friendship developed there. This is why SGA delayed. Was never locked in his mind to go.
  • Knox 95% coming back after Cal's pitch
  • If SGA comes back, Quade is gone. He wants to go to Nova
  • Diallo wants to go pro, but he is not hearing good things. Not 100% sure the staff wants him back due to Johnson coming in
  • Really pushing Hagans to stay in 2019. Could be amazing class with he and Wiseman
  • Staff is VERY confident about Wiseman
  • PJ declared with plans of coming back. Wants to test process and get ideas what to work on - Wenyan, JV, Richards and more will probably do the same
  • PJ is still devastated by the free throws
  • Wenyan is ready to go pro, but knows he isn't ready
  • Staff really believes they may only lose Quade and maybe Diallo - thinks we will be special
  • Cal and staff took Duke getting the top 3 really hard and are more motivated than ever
  • Cal is going to stop "pushing guys out the door" - big discussions in the department about this. Want to shed the one-and-done school label
  • Staff believes Capel leaving Duke will push us back to #1

Again this was some talk between and after playing with some guys I know. They have usually been correct or close. They have been wrong too and this is 18 year old kids we are talking about

Potential lineup we talked about:
PG - SGA / Quickly
SG - Johnson / Herro / Baker
SF - Knox / Johnson
PF - PJ / Wenyan
C - Vanderbilt / Richards / SKJ
Not saying this is not right or that this poster is lying because I do not know him/her.
However, to know this much information it would/could have to come from the coaching staff and I do not think they would let this info out.
It is one thing to get a tid-bit or two but all these bullet points is just too much to understand that a few church league guys know this much.
Agee, for me, you are trying tooooooo hard to be accurate and wanting us to believe that you know some insiders.
Remember, this would not be from some contributor or ball-boy, it would of had to come from some paid employee of UK and they will soon be without a job. If I see one of the few coaches fired within the next couple of days then I'm buying.

Reactions: GonzoCat90

If that is the case then this makes me feel like this is why Cal is changing his tune on talking guys into coming back. It probably has hurt him on the recruiting trail because rival coaches are saying he will push you out the door after a year and if you're not ready to go pro then you will be recruited over. IMO.

I think it is funny that this whole Green to Villanova rumor is coming up because Villanova is more loaded at PG than we are lol. He would go there and sit too!
Not to mention sit out a year. I low this worked for Matthews but it’s not something you do lightly.

The OP is a pretty solid poster,I have no doubt he heard what he said he heard.He included a fair amount of disclaimer. I'm sure there are multiple rumors around the program on a daily basis and anyone in close proximity hears bits and pieces of whatever the rumor of the day might be

Something is leading Cal and the program to reach out to Hagans and Williams and it seems the talk about Montgomery has cooled a bit.Quickly,Green,Hagans,SGA? and Williams seem like a lot of point guards to be in the mix right now.

I lived in Lexington for a year and so many people there claimed to know a guy "close to the program". People would tell me things with 100% confidence that somebody else told them was true. Most of the time it was just rumors. However, living in Lexington I really did know a few people that knew people. And by that I mean they knew players on the team. Got some interesting info from some of those sources, but usually just after the fact things. Most interesting and simultaneously least surprising thing, was learning that James Young did not give a shit about the team or winning until the tournament started.

Only problem with "stopping pushing guys out the door" and shedding the one and done label is I feel like it's a bit of a double-edged sword. Seems like recruits are drawn to that "Kentucky can get me to the pros quick" mentality. I agree on not pushing non-lottery guys guys who aren't firmly in the lottery/solid First Rounders out the door, but I hope that mindset wouldn't hurt us in pulling in #1/#2 caliber classes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT