ADVERTISEMENT

Hearing some things

If the Roster is what you predicted, a lineup of:

Shai
Herro/Baker
Johnson
Knox
PJ

Would be an absolute offensive juggernaut. Not sure if there’s a team in the country that could score with that.

IQ over Herro and Baker easily

Really hope we don't lost Green unless it meant Shai surprised us and came back. Still would hate losing him, but I want us to keep at least one of the two.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I like the possibilities of this thread. NBA is the top, its hard to go higher than that. I think we get some surprises friday hopefully. Good surprises. Winning a national championship is something for the record books, and I respect those that are a part of that ride as much as those who make the nba.

if knox and sga come back let the 40-0 talk begin lol

Yeah, I hope that doesn't happen. We will be really good, and probably top 3, but, Villanova will be really good next year, depending on who stays, Puke will be good, depending on whether K can find enough basketballs, and there will be some good teams in the SEC. Auburn, UT, Bama, and Arkansas, should all be in the top 20, at one time or another. I think we will be in the final four, but, it won't be a cakewalk, and with the SEC tough, as well as our OOC schedule, we could still lose 5-6 games. But, I think next year will be a lot like this year, where a team with 5 losses is a solid 1 seed.

If Shai comes back, Green will fight with Quickley for minutes and Quickley maybe the better scorer. But Green maybe and definitely day one, to run the point when Shai is taking a breather/foul trouble. Then if Herro is the real deal shooting wise, he will lose minutes some at the 2 position for elite shooting. Then if the Hagans is in the 2019 class, Green will be worried he won't start at the PG position for a long time and maybe never.

IQ over Herro and Baker easily
No, I was saying that was our best offensive lineup not the starting lineup. The shooting of Herro or Baker with the other 4 guys who can get to the rim gives us our best offense.

I don't think they would voice out that they don't want diallo.

that's too risky of business in collegiate coaching.

They may have that feeling, but Coach Cal would never voice that...i doubt he would to his assistant coaches.

Yep, that's the one thing that stood out to me in the OP as well. Just can't see Cal or any others on the staff putting that kind of info out for public consumption as it would/could come back to bite them in the recruiting game for sure.

Cal has never pushed players out . The fact some believe this is mind boggling . This originated because MKG thought about coming back but Cal knowing he would be a top 3 pick told him to leave ( as any real father figure would ) . Cal tells the players what he is hearing and what he thinks they should do , that is it . This pushing players out crap is just that. That statement by the OP makes me question the whole thing . Also the Green stuff makes zero sense as well. I think logic tells us the reason SGA put off the announcement is due to Knox really thinking about staying though. Logic also tells us that Diallo can't be hearing much great things either.

I am not going to bash the OP but I find it hard to believe him as well due to above mentioned things.

Also UK hasn't ever taken a backseat to Duke recruiting . On August 1st of the 2017 UK had the #1 class in the country . Because some shady stuff happened with Bagley they ended up with #2 but who cares. If you have a top 5 class year in and year out you are freaking killling recruiting . UK, Duke , Oregon , UCLA and previously Zona always did this .

In the end I think UK loses SGA , Knox and possibly Diallo.

I just don't buy the Green stuff. He could have committed to Nova, he loved Cal. Wanted to be at UK.

I he feels like he's been recruited over I guess it could matter but Quade doesn't seem like the type to quit and run.

We need guys like Quade to stay put. He could easily be the starter and focal point junior and senior year.

We Gotta stop this feeling that if you don't succeed as a freshman you need to consider a transfer.
This has been my thought in regards to Quade. Just doesnt seem like the type to back down from a challenge. IMO he had a pretty solid year especially considering the eye and back injuries he sustained.

• SGA is waiting for Knox because they want a title and LOVE being together on campus. True friendship developed there. This is why SGA delayed. Was never locked in his mind to go.
  • Knox 95% coming back after Cal's pitch
  • If SGA comes back, Quade is gone. He wants to go to Nova
  • Diallo wants to go pro, but he is not hearing good things. Not 100% sure the staff wants him back due to Johnson coming in
  • Really pushing Hagans to stay in 2019. Could be amazing class with he and Wiseman
  • Staff is VERY confident about Wiseman
  • PJ declared with plans of coming back. Wants to test process and get ideas what to work on - Wenyan, JV, Richards and more will probably do the same
  • PJ is still devastated by the free throws
  • Wenyan is ready to go pro, but knows he isn't ready
  • Staff really believes they may only lose Quade and maybe Diallo - thinks we will be special
  • Cal and staff took Duke getting the top 3 really hard and are more motivated than ever
  • Cal is going to stop "pushing guys out the door" - big discussions in the department about this. Want to shed the one-and-done school label
  • Staff believes Capel leaving Duke will push us back to #1

No one on this team is good enough to play valuable mins in the NBA. Quade going to Nova is just ridiculous. PJ and the guys need to test the waters to know what they need to work on. It’s good that PJ is taking the free throws hard. It will help him next year. It’s also good that the staff is taking the recruiting loses to dUKe hard. They should be taking them hard. It’s great he is going to stop pushing guys out. This is the one thing Cal has to do in order to continue the success he had early in his time at UK.

The OP is a pretty solid poster,I have no doubt he heard what he said he heard.He included a fair amount of disclaimer. I'm sure there are multiple rumors around the program on a daily basis and anyone in close proximity hears bits and pieces of whatever the rumor of the day might be

Something is leading Cal and the program to reach out to Hagans and Williams and it seems the talk about Montgomery has cooled a bit.Quickly,Green,Hagans,SGA? and Williams seem like a lot of point guards to be in the mix right now.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

I did put the disclaimers in because these are rumors. One of the guys works for UK, not in the Athletic department. The other has friends in it. They are a couple guys I play ball with a couple times a month. I try weekly, but that doesn't always pan out with a family life.

Could be real, could not be. Just wanted to share. Enjoyed going through and reading everything. Been a cool thread

I think it is funny that this whole Green to Villanova rumor is coming up because Villanova is more loaded at PG than we are lol. He would go there and sit too!
You do realize if he transfers, he would have to sit a year before he can play right?

Thank you, I appreciate that.

I did put the disclaimers in because these are rumors. One of the guys works for UK, not in the Athletic department. The other has friends in it. They are a couple guys I play ball with a couple times a month. I try weekly, but that doesn't always pan out with a family life.

Could be real, could not be. Just wanted to share. Enjoyed going through and reading everything. Been a cool thread
I just want to be clear in my comments above I am not saying I don't believe you are hearing these things. I thank you for passing along what you are hearing. I was just pointing out the the things that didn't make much sense. I do thank you regardless for sharing what you hear . If it plays out like you are hearing I would be totally shocked for Green to go elsewhere as he would be the starting SG unless Diallo returns. Johnson is a pure SF.

I think the meaning is, that with who we would have back, along with who we have coming in, Hami's minutes are going to drop way off, and it will be that much tougher for him to get drafted. I'm sure the coaching staff wants this kid to reach his dreams, and this may be now, or never.
His minutes might drop off.....having 1 1/2 yrs in the system he might kick into high gear....I wouldn't go out on a limb and say that his minutes would drop off. We haven't seen any of these other kids.......I have seen that Diallo came on strong at the end of the year.

He never stopped wanting to be the hero. That is why he took the three pointer with 14 seconds to go against KSU. We needed the two to tie the game. Try to force OT against KSU

And on the same hand all season long the fans were lamenting about not having anyone that wanted to step up at the end of a close game......If you don't have the balls to take the shot you for sure won't make it.....at least he had the moxy to take the shot. If he had hit that shot he would have been a hero......

Shai
Herro/Baker
Johnson
Knox
PJ

Would be an absolute offensive juggernaut. Not sure if there’s a team in the country that could score with that.
I predict Richards will be one of the most improved sophomores ever. Ever I said ever.

His minutes might drop off.....having 1 1/2 yrs in the system he might kick into high gear....I wouldn't go out on a limb and say that his minutes would drop off. We haven't seen any of these other kids.......I have seen that Diallo came on strong at the end of the year.

Possibly. I think the kids coming in are much better shooters, and Cal just said that he was not going to recruit players that were not good shooters. I believe that Cal realizes that athleticism is great, if you can also put the ball in the basket. Hami could return and get his minutes, providing he improves his shooting, but, after 3 semesters at UK, I am not confident that he will improve that much, over the summer. We are just going to be so much deeper next year. If it helps him, I hope he returns. If he will not get drafted higher, next year, then I hope he goes, since that is the best for him. I think he is a good kid, and I hope he makes it, whichever route he takes.

My apologies, you did include the following:

“When he told me I was off the team,” says Monk, “I was so happy. It was a big step to the biggest dream in my life coming true.”

Does that sound like a guy that was forced out? Sounds to me like a kid whose coach was gracious enough to remove any remorse he might have about leaving.

Those three guys were gone. Cal simply admitted that.
Thank you .

I hope PJ doesn't beat himself up too bad over the missed FT's..he had a broke finger..He did great considering that..

Reactions: Samurai Cat
I am not sure what Quade expected if he does transfer. An unathletic 6ft point guard is not NBA material. You can bring up Ulis but he was a PURE PG and was an excellent scorer/shooter/passer. I see none of those high level qualities in Green besides a shooter (not sure that is High level either). He seemed like more of a project to me, 3-4 year guy.

Plus it’s all hearsey.

I just don't buy the Green stuff. He could have committed to Nova, he loved Cal. Wanted to be at UK.

I he feels like he's been recruited over I guess it could matter but Quade doesn't seem like the type to quit and run.

We need guys like Quade to stay put. He could easily be the starter and focal point junior and senior year.

We Gotta stop this feeling that if you don't succeed as a freshman you need to consider a transfer.

Yeah, it’s nuts. Look at a guy like Dominique Hawkins. A three star who people said would never play.

By his senior year, he was playing 20 minutes a game, because Cal TRUSTED him. Some of these high 4, low 5 Star guys would be amazed at what they could accomplish here in 3-4 years.

Thanks for the grain-of-salt-laced info @AGEE11. I always appreciate posts like yours rather than the vague “just so you know, it’s a done deal, blah blah blah.....”

I really hope Quade doesn’t transfer. He’s the kind of hard nosed little guard that, if he was on another team, would go 6-9 from three to help his team upset Kentucky in a tough league game. I’d really like him to be that guy for us as a junior.

But all in all, if we end up with that lineup in the original post, there will be very few complaints from me.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Well of course he is beating himself up. He hits his free throw, we win. Period. It is only going to make him better because I promise he will get another opportunity.

I easily believe it. Yes Green wanted to be here but things haven’t gone like he thought they would. Hell the guy wore a headband in high school last season that said “Plan A.” That was the same time Young went to Oklahoma and we went and got Quade. People said he was our plan B and he took it personal. Coming in here you have to assume he never in his wildest dreams thought SGA would be anything close to this good and bump him from his starting pg spot. If SGA came back he know it’d just get worse next year with the new guys here too.

Nova is the hot brand right now plus the home school. I’d make me sick to see him go there but I can see why he’d want to. I don’t know who I’d rather have of Green and SGA. I know Shai is “better” but Green was the basically the one real true shooter we had this year. Sure Knox can shoot too but with Green I felt like it was money everytime. Losing that would be a huge blow.

I am not sure what Quade expected if he does transfer. An unathletic 6ft point guard is not NBA material. You can bring up Ulis but he was a PURE PG and was an excellent scorer/shooter/passer. I see none of those high level qualities in Green besides a shooter (not sure that is High level either). He seemed like more of a project to me, 3-4 year guy.
Seriously? Our offense ran better every single time Green was our pg this year. He’s a true PG. SGA is the SG trying to play PG. How many times did you see Quade dribble into traffic with nowhere to go and throw it away? Now consider the same thing with SGA.

With Quade at point we normally had better spacing and movement both with and without the ball. Quade got it across halfcourt and usually had made the first pass within 3-4 seconds. Shai crosses halfcourt and it takes him 6-10 seconds looking around to figure out what he wants to do.

Reactions: brianpoe

Shai
Herro/Baker
Johnson
Knox
PJ

If Villanova returns everyone they sure could. Let’s hope they lose a few to the NBA

This is what I was talking about last week about the OAD culture. I have no problem with a guy like Fox going OAD, but it feels like every kid that comes to Ky thinks they should be OAD and most just aren't and never where. It's like they look at it like they failed if they came here and didn't make at least consideration for OAD. The NBA is chewing these kids up and spitting them out.

Most players we see at Ky should on average be here at least 2 years. The real deal OAD's like KAT, Fox, etc... are fine, but most need a second year. Green to me was never a OAD candidate. These kids need to focus on getting better and going when the time is right. There is nothing wrong with being a 2-4 year player at Ky. It has worked well for others. It needs to not be viewed by some kids or their circles as a dirty thing. Green isn't Ulis, he needs to focus on being a 4 year player at Ky and the rest will work itself out. He's a tough kid, but he has a ways to go and I hope he does it at Ky.

Reactions: ipatent
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT