ADVERTISEMENT

Has there been a worse mismanagement of a single player talent than

I'd have to see the rest of the roster. 1 dude ain't doing shit in college basketball, especially a dude that wasn't in his prime.
This. Anthony Edwards has promise but he wasn’t “Ant” in college. And I don’t remember anyone else on that team so unlikely he had any support and probably saw a LOT of double teams.

Did you forget about the season when UK won only 9 games with a roster loaded with 5 star recruits and at least four future NBAers? That strikes me as quite a bit worse than Georgia winning 16 with only one.

I don’t think Anthony Edwards was mismanaged in college. He was properly emphasized in their offense and had an excellent season that resulted in him being the No. 1 overall pick. Which I’m guessin is all he wanted out of his one and done season.

There’s only so much one hotshot freshman can do for his team if the rest of the roster sucks.

Last edited:
I have been a Twolves fan for decades and seeing them almost getting swept has been disappointing. I would love to see the Twolves come back to make the NBA Finals, but Kat has to be consistent. If they can win this next game the pressure will be on Dallas, but that's like me playing the lottery and winning 450 million.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
Yeah it’s reed and Rob. We all saw it but many of us tried to justify it. But at the end of the day, those two will go top 5 and both came of the mf bench.

Our coach clearly didn’t even look at stats or numbers ever or he’d notice his best lineup (which I believe was best in the country in our scoring opposition) didn’t play but 5-10% of the time together on the court, if that.

Looking back now sucks knowing 2 top 5 picks, AA in reeves, and co get bounced game one. It will look even worse down the road. It will be a breath of fresh air running a legit offense and making defensive adjustments. Not being full of freshmen and players that lack physicality and toughness.

We thought last year would be the best 3pt shooting team we’ve ever had. That may end up true. But I wouldn’t be shocked if next year we shoot it even better.

Yeah it’s reed and Rob. We all saw it but many of us tried to justify it. But at the end of the day, those two will go top 5 and both came of the mf bench.

Our coach clearly didn’t even look at stats or numbers ever or he’d notice his best lineup (which I believe was best in the country in our scoring opposition) didn’t play but 5-10% of the time together on the court, if that.

Oh the coach looked and noticed alright. He just chose to ignore it.

You’re too kind.

Looking back now sucks knowing 2 top 5 picks, AA in reeves, and co get bounced game one. It will look even worse down the road. It will be a breath of fresh air running a legit offense and making defensive adjustments. Not being full of freshmen and players that lack physicality and toughness.

We thought last year would be the best 3pt shooting team we’ve ever had. That may end up true. But I wouldn’t be shocked if next year we shoot it even better.
You have this wrong. Cal had his own priorities and agenda. He didn't ignore anything - he did what he wanted to do.

Coach K mishandling the top3 recruits, and 3 top10 draft picks is quite bad (Zion, RJ and Cam). Now some will point to Reed/Dilly.. but I make 2 distinctions here: 1. They are only going this high because it's a bad draft, and NEITHER is on the talent level of Zion or even RJ at the time. and 2. Cal seems to have PURPOSELY mishandled them lol. Im sure if Cal actually tried, he starts them and they win a lot of games. Coach K actually tried to make that team work (and got a ton of help from the officials) and he STILL botched it.

I'd actually point to a lot of Coach K's recent teams. 2021 - Hurt, Johnson several other 5-stars - missed the tournament. 2018 - Bagley, trent, Grayson. Duval, Carter - Couldn't get a Final4. That team had 8 players in the NBA at some point.. 2017 - Tatum, Kennard, Grayson, Jackson, Jefferson. they had 9 guys in the NBA - bounced in tthe 2nd round.

I will forever point out, that if Cal dropped the bag with loaded talent.. so did Coach K.

Reactions: struggler
Is it just possible that players get better as they get older, more experienced, and more filled out into a man's body (until injuries catch up to them or they reach an age where they are losing their athleticism).

The Edwards you see today, is NOT the Edwards that played at UGA.
The SGA you see today, is NOT the SGA that played for UK.
And so on....

And even with Edwards being the #1 pick, that was more based on where they (correctly) thought he would be in 3-4 years than where he was at that point in time. A player with 1 year of college is further from his ceiling than a player with 3-4 years of college. I bet there were easily a dozen or more players better than Edwards in that draft, BUT most (probably all) of them had gotten closer to their personal ceiling than he had.

LOL, I will TRY to get it back on thread topic, Cal has over taken another thread. Shocked.

Anthony Edwards in college : 19 ppg.
29% 3 point shooter on 7.7 attempts per game. 40% overall. 8.1 2FG's per game (50%) 7.7 3FG's per game. he took as many threes as twos and clearly was not a good outside shooter. Needed to drive it more instead of jacking 3's.
2.8 assist / 2.7 turnovers per game. Lot of bad shots and decisions made in his only year in college. BUT, the roster he had along side of him was bad to say the least.
Rayshawn Hammonds (yeah I do not remember him either), was the second leading scorer (13 ppg), and the one and only Shavir Wheeler was third leading scorer 9ppg). Wheeler was also a freshman.

Last edited:
It’s amazing how guys seem to get better as they mature physically and mentally from college freshmen to an NBA career. I dunno why. Maybe having no practice limitations, unlimited access to personal instruction, top of the line nutritionists. personal chefs & trainers and an NBA season that including the camp, preseason, regular season and playoffs is the equivalent of 3 college seasons, except you’re practicing against the best basketball players on the planet instead of dudes who are going to turn pro in something other than basketball. I see this question pop up from time to time, and for the life of me I don’t know what’s so hard to understand about it. 😐

Last edited:
No, that is pretty much revising history by sort of projecting the player he has grown into back in time.

What else could be wrung out of him and especially the team at the time?

Reactions: JDHoss
Washington went 9-22/2-16 with the #1 pick in the draft in 2016-17. Sixers have to be kicking themselves in the ass for taking him over Tatum.

I have been a Twolves fan for decades and seeing them almost getting swept has been disappointing. I would love to see the Twolves come back to make the NBA Finals, but Kat has to be consistent. If they can win this next game the pressure will be on Dallas, but that's like me playing the lottery and winning 450 million.
KAT has reached his ceiling unfortunately. He’s a skilled big but far too inconsistent to be considered elite. I think Ryan Russillo said it best, KAT’s drives/shots at the rim are like one of those golfers who sprays it everywhere, breaks a few windows on errant OB shots and then says, “But I was aiming right at the flag.”

My wife is from Minn so we have been watching them every game- I think Minn can come back and win if Towns/Gobert show up for the next 3 games- it kills me how Luka gets so many fouls called on his defender when his defender jumps up, lands and then Luke jumps into them and it's a defensive foul

My wife is from Minn so we have been watching them every game- I think Minn can come back and win if Towns/Gobert show up for the next 3 games- it kills me how Luka gets so many fouls called on his defender when his defender jumps up, lands and then Luke jumps into them and it's a defensive foul
What frustrates me the most is how KAT falls for his pump fakes everytime. Luca only has that step back 3 and the Twolves fall for it almost every time which drives me nuts. I think the Twolves can win it if they get the same contribution from KAT. KAT has to stop getting into foul trouble early in the game. I think they can come back to win it.

Reactions: kywildcats8
Coach K mishandling the top3 recruits, and 3 top10 draft picks is quite bad (Zion, RJ and Cam). Now some will point to Reed/Dilly.. but I make 2 distinctions here: 1. They are only going this high because it's a bad draft, and NEITHER is on the talent level of Zion or even RJ at the time. and 2. Cal seems to have PURPOSELY mishandled them lol. Im sure if Cal actually tried, he starts them and they win a lot of games. Coach K actually tried to make that team work (and got a ton of help from the officials) and he STILL botched it.

I'd actually point to a lot of Coach K's recent teams. 2021 - Hurt, Johnson several other 5-stars - missed the tournament. 2018 - Bagley, trent, Grayson. Duval, Carter - Couldn't get a Final4. That team had 8 players in the NBA at some point.. 2017 - Tatum, Kennard, Grayson, Jackson, Jefferson. they had 9 guys in the NBA - bounced in tthe 2nd round.

I will forever point out, that if Cal dropped the bag with loaded talent.. so did Coach K.
Coach K made an elite 8 and was a shot away from a final 4 and probable title with his team.

Cal lost game 1 vs oakland.

One was unlucky. One was incompetent.

Not to mention K stealing cals title in 2015 bc of said incompetence. Its actually impressive to be THAT bad at coaching.

Coach K made an elite 8 and was a shot away from a final 4 and probable title with his team.

Cal lost game 1 vs oakland.

One was unlucky. One was incompetent.

Not to mention K stealing cals title in 2015 bc of said incompetence. Its actually impressive to be THAT bad at coaching.
In the 2nd and 3rd rounds, Coach Rodent survived as last second shots by UCF and VPI danced all over the rim before falling off, and yes, not making a Final Four (let alone not winning a title) with three of the top 5 picks in the draft is either a massive underachievement, or a statement about how hard it is to win the NCAAT, even with a ton of talent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT